PDA

View Full Version : Madrasah In'aamiya Information Thread (Camperdown, South Africa)

Pages : [1] 2

Abu Hurayrah
22-10-2005, 05:21 AM
Invitation to Study

Madrasah In’aamiyyah, Camperdown is an institute of higher Islamic learning based in Durban, South Africa. We also have students from United States, Canada, Belgium, India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Malaysia, Phillipines, Mozambique, Malawi and Zambia. The institute offers the following courses:
• Hifzul Qur’aan (memorizing the Qur’aan): generally over 3 years depending on the ability of the student
• I’daadiyah (introductory phase for Aalim course)
• Imaam / Khatib Training: between 1 and 3 years. This is to equip a person to be an Imaam and fulfil basic Islamic requirements of the community, for example, perform Salaat, Jumu’ah, Nikah, etc.
• Qiraat Hafs (normal reading) and Qiraat Sab’a (7 dialects) and Asharah (10 dialects)
• Aalim Course 6 years
• Mufti course: minimum 2 years
• Specialty in Hadith: 1 year
• Qadhaa (Islamic judiciary): 1 year after the Mufti course

Apart from the above mentioned courses, we also welcome anyone who wish to spend a little time from their busy schedule to experience Deeni (religious) life. We tailor the course according to time availability of the prospective student and the desired field of study. In this field, we invite school-going students (during their holidays), working class individuals (to take some time), new Muslims (to learn more about Islam) and almost anyone who wish to learn anything about Islam.

There are great virtues for a student of Deen. Rasulullah [sallallaahu alayhi wasallam] said, ‘That person who treads the path in search of knowledge, Allah makes his path to Jannah easy.’ To seek a little knowledge at night is better than staying awake whole night in the worship of Allah. Rasulullah [sallallaahu alayhi wasallam] said, ‘The Ulama are the heirs of the Anbiyaa (prophets).’ The prophets have left knowledge as their inheritance.

Remember, Rizq and sustenance is from Allah. It is not any knowledge that provides. At most, the knowledge and skills are means. It is Allah that puts effects in these means. The west is filled with many professional and skilful people without employment. Indeed, it is Allah who is the sole provider.

The following is a summary of the syllabus of the Aalim course:
First Year: Learning Arabic, mainly Sarf and Nahw.
Second Year: Continue with learning Arabic, Fiqh, Usool-e-Fiqh and Tarjuma-e-Qur’aan
Third Year: Usool-e-Fiqh, Tarjuma-e-Qur’aan, History
Fourth Year: Fiqh, Usool-e-Fiqh, Tafseer
Fifth Year: Hadith, Usool-e-Hadith, Fiqh
Sixth Year: Sihaah-e-Sitta

The Aalim course is for 6 years (equivalent to BA). Our medium of instruction is English, Arabic and Urdu.

There are two levels of seeking knowledge – Fardh (compulsory) and Nafl (voluntary). It is compulsory upon a believer to seek the basic knowledge of Shari’ah – Wudhu, Ghusl, Salaat, etc. To seek intense knowledge of the Shari’ah is voluntary and act of great virtue and reward. However, being a Nafl act, Fardh will supercede it.

We urge all our readers to take heed of the above mentioned virtues of seeking knowledge of Deen and encourage youngsters to sacrifice their time and youth to become Ulama and serve the course of Deen. This is a means of enriching the Ummah and to become dynamic. Insha Allah, parents will be greatly rewarded in this life and the hereafter. Rasulullah [sallallaahu alayhi wasallam] said, ‘When a person passes away, all his deeds terminate with the exception of three (the reward will continue even after death), a pious child, knowledge through which people benefit, a Sadaqah jaariyah (recurring charity).’

Your contribution is:
• Educate yourself;
• Send your Son;
• Encourage others to come and assist them to come financially, etc.

http://www.alinaam.org.za

sudoku
22-10-2005, 08:23 PM
Assalaamu Alaikum

1. Urdu is more like a subject, currently some of the classes in the higher classes are taught some books in urdu, but majority is in english. they are trying to incorporate english as the main instructing language, hoiwever this may take sime time.

2.Darul Uloom Zakariyyah has a very nice and eminent history and still holds high rank, however some of their most learned teachers are now in Madressah In'aamiyyah full time (eg mufti ebrahim desai, sheikhul hadeeth molana haroon abassommar, and molana hashim amod, and last but certainly not least, muti abdul jaleel will be joining after ramadhaan. madressah in'aamiyyah has also started another department (qadhaa -qaadi course) and has started takhassus in hadeeth.

3.for students in boarding the tution fee is like 50USD everything included, though it is recommended that you keep 20 to thirty extra $$ per month for you own personal purchase. the madressah is secluded in a secluded area, therefore the only shops are at a twenty to thirty walh distance (which you get used to) also you arent allowed to leave madressah premises without written permission. currently they do not have a system of accomadating married students, so married students have to come up with extra money for residential purposes. for a married couple, o live comfortrably (without extravagances) you would probably need about 550 USd per month.

Insha Allah i hope this info helps...if you have any other questions (no matter how small) please ask.

Wassalaamu Alaikum

zeal_4_knowledge
22-10-2005, 10:53 PM
Assalamualaikum

I was wondering if anybody could answer a few questions about Madrasah In’aamiyyah.

(1) First of all I was wondering what the daily schedule was in the Darul Uloom, for Hifz, Qiraat and Aalim.

(2) Also I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the daily hifz class sabbak, sabbak para, and dor amounts were.

(3) I was also wondering how long does the Qiraat Hafs course take, what it entails, and what you learn. Similarly the same for Qirat Sabah.

And I am 16 right now, and would be thinking of starting in 2 years time, so how would I go about applying to the Madrasah

Jazakallah

abuhajira
22-10-2005, 11:55 PM
Walaikum Assalam WarahmatAllah

(1) First of all I was wondering what the daily schedule was in the Darul Uloom, for Hifz, Qiraat and Aalim.

InshAllah I will try to tell you as much as I can. If I am bit off here and there please forgive me.

Hifz.

The day starts with Fajr
After Fajr the classes start at about 6:30 am
Small 15 min break at 8:30
Lunch Break at 11:00
this is normally a sleep time.
Classes commence after Zuhur
Continuous classes untill Asr.
After Asr is Supper,
After supper is recreational time untill maghrab
Maghrab till 9:30 is Daur.
930 Lights out.

In Darul Quran there are about 6 Teachers, thus 6 classes. The hifz course normally takes about 2 years. (at relaxed mode)

Alim Course:

Salat Fajr.
Dhikr ( for those who wish to take part )
6:30 classes begin.
10 periods in total
normally same timing like Hifs except that
-the small 15 minute break is at 9:00
- instead of Daur there is Takrar

Qari,

This course is incorporated within the Alim course. In the 3rd year you choose either to focus of Qirah. or Basic Tajweed practices. The course is about 3 years in total. The Qari who teaches both Sab'a and Ashara is Qari Ismail Abdul Aziz.

(2) Also I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the daily hifz class sabbak, sabbak para, and dor amounts were.

Well these differ with the students ability. I have seen students here who take as much as 5-7 pages daily. while there are mostly who take about a page or so. I have also met those who are struggling. May Allah make it easy for them.

(3) I was also wondering how long does the Qiraat Hafs course take, what it entails, and what you learn. Similarly the same for Qirat Sabah.

Check above

And I am 16 right now, and would be thinking of starting in 2 years time, so how would I go about applying to the Madrasah

Since you are 16, I would suggest you apply for Hifz now. and in 2 years you will be ready for Alim course. After the Hifz course you will have a choice of doing another 6month - 1 year Dor. While you can also chose to go to Alim class right away. Its better to start early so you have lots of choices later on.

Regarding getting the admission, send your information at :
askimam@yahoogroups.com

I will inshAllah arrange your letters of approval from Mufti Ebrahim. (that is if he agrees)

The information I would need:

1 Name (as on Pasport)
2 Citizenship # or so.
3 PassPrt #.
4 Date of Birth
5 Country of origin and residence (both)

since you are a minor, you will need a letter of parental concent for your VISA purposes. but that is not required by me.

If you need anything else you can either write here or email me at the above email.

Wassalam o Alaikum

Saleel
22-10-2005, 11:58 PM
:salam:

Very seemingly irrelevant question... but does Madrasah In’aamiyyah have any hospitals closeby?

abuhajira
23-10-2005, 12:10 AM

Very seemingly irrelevant question... but does Madrasah In’aamiyyah have any hospitals closeby?

Walaikum Assalam

Oh nice question. It is very much relevant. Many a people after coming here complain that they didnt have enough information regarding the place so that they could make an informed decision about whether to come here or not. after all 6 years + is a long time in ones life.

I forgot to mention on details of the surrounding. I see um-eesaa did mention how secluded the place is. I should have to mention that actual madrassah is outside Camperdown boundry. So it is actually right next to a poultry hatchery. and another residence of a non muslim close by. InshAllah one day after looking at the nice akhlak of the students ;) they will convert.

Ok in the madrassah when they refer to town , it mean the camperdown area. This is about a locality of 2500 people or so. 3 major general stores, 2 pubs, 1 police station, 1 court, 1 VET, 1.5 cloths store, 1 masjid, ( 1 nice muslim brother behind masjid with his wife<-- ME and my BEEWEE :D & muazzin), and few other small business.

The nearest proper hospital is 20 min drive. however there is one small surgeon in Camperdown who also looks at general patients. another nearest doctor is in Cato Ridge which is 10 min drive.

InshAllah a Super Grocery store is soon to open with Halal products and all.. Yahoooo!!!! and also, a halal butchery store is about to open.

Overall the community is very nice... but a madrassah student has little to worry about the outside world. BTW in Madrassah they are having a BBQ today .. so they have their bit of fun as well

Wassalam o Alaikum

zeal_4_knowledge
23-10-2005, 10:57 AM
Assalamualaikum

To apply now at the age of 16 would have been perfect for me, however due to parental restrictions I will have to finish college til I am 18, before I could join. Would you recommend me starting hifz right now and do it part time with college, so that in two years I will have done quite a bit Inshallah, so then it will not take me too long to finish once I start Madrasah In'aamiyaah, or does Madrasah In'aamiyaah make you start again, as I have heard some darul ulooms do.

Also, the Qirat (Hafs) or Qirat (Sabah), are both run concurrently with Aalim course right, so what exactly do you learn in these (as much info as possible would be great) , do you learn to read the qur'aan properly with good tune? I know that Sabah is seven ways, and how long does sabah take? Sorry if you have already answered this question.

Also what do you learn in the preparatory class for Aalim, and is the Imaam Khatib Training run concurrently with Aalim. And in Aalim, what is the extent of Arabic that you learn, i.e. (conversational, being able to read fluently, or just enough to get by)

Also what facilities do they have in the Madrasah, i.e. things to do in spare time, etc......

Jazakallah, May Allah reward you

zeal_4_knowledge
03-11-2005, 06:37 PM
Assalamulaikum

Could anyone reply to my above Question?

abuhajira
04-11-2005, 02:27 PM

Ok about whether it would be good to start hifz now or later I will consult the teacher. but about the others..

Qirat Hafz and Saba are all scheduled over the three years and integrated in Alim course, that means if you are doing only Qirat that you will attend those classes.. the completion time will stay same.. that is 3 Yrs.

As for the tune question.. Absolutely... I have really hard time since right now I am in the first year well 2nd coming on.. inshAllah I will pickup.. But we have really nice reciters here too..

In preperatory class you dont do much.. but its for those who would not be able to cope with the fast pace of 1st year, so if you are good you do the 1st year ... you learn basic Nahw and Sarf and Aqida and Seerah etc..

Finally about facilities.. they have Cricket Ground, can be used for Soccer, Volleyball, Table tennis, Small Gym Room, Long Tennis Court( also used for soccer) ...

They have LIbrary, small tuckshop for snaks.. Bookshop, ....

Enough things to do in extra stime.. They have (well sort of) soccer league.. with wierd teams like Akabirs, Vegitos, Sufis, etc etc..

I hope that helps

Shaykh
13-11-2005, 05:51 AM
Dear Brother Abu Hurayrah

Assalam U Aalaikum

I dont know who to contact but I am worried about the Ask Imam Website maintained by Mufti Ebrahim Desai. It has not been updated at all since June 06 2005. Do you have any knowledge about it. Please let me know if you get some information.

Wassalam

Shaykh

Omar HH
13-11-2005, 07:17 AM
Wow you two are so good, and Allah will insha Allah reward you so much.

Omar HH
13-11-2005, 07:18 AM
Check Askimam.org for the new website!

Shaykh
19-11-2005, 05:24 PM
To: Talib Ilm

Assalam U Aalaikum

Dear Brother where do you study?

Wassalam

Shaykh

Abu Hurayrah
19-11-2005, 09:09 PM
Bismillahi Rahmani Rahim

He studies at Madrasah In'aamiyyah.

Ma salam

Abu Maryam
05-12-2005, 03:51 AM
Assalamu'alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

Um Eesaa & All:

My name is 'Irfan, and my wife and I are thinking of moving to Camperdown to study at Madrasah 'Inaamiyah. I had a few questions in general, and specifically for Um Eesaa, as she is married to a student there and my questions are mostly "family-specific" and I am sure it will be beneficial for my wife to talk to another student's wife. Insha'Allah I would appreciate all responses, and hopefully it will benefit my family, and other families thinking of going to study there bi idhnillah.

1) My wife is also interested in studying Deen if we relocate. Are there opportunities near Madrasah 'Inaamiyah for women to study in some full-time program as well?
2) We have a 17month old daughter, and by the time we go she will probably be close to 2 1/2 years old, insha'Allah. Are there Islamic programs for children around the area that would teach a child that young (or even older) during the day while parents are in school? Related to this, are there any hifdh programs for young children in the area?
3) I see it costs about $550-$600/month for families to rent and live in Camperdown - So would it be safe to say that one will need upwards of $40,000USD to finish the 6-year program there if one is married and has a child/children? Would this cost include school for the child, family needs (diapers for babies, toiletries, etc.) or is that just rent, food, and utilities?
4) When does school start and stop during the year? (What months)?

Thanks - I hope you all will not mind if I have some follow-up questions for you once you respond.

Barak Allahu Feekum.

Abu Maryam

sudoku
08-12-2005, 06:20 AM

brother Abu Maryam :insh: i will answer the questions by tonight

one point though... the school year starts after Eedul Adha and ends before...so that a little different here

:ws:

sudoku
08-12-2005, 07:40 AM
:sl:

1. Unfortunately they do not have a seperate women's alima course here, which i wa rather hoping for when i came. but, Mufti Ebrahim sahib had made arrangements for me that i study whatever my husband studies from home, and i get to givg ethe same exams they do, so next week :insh: i will be giving exams as well, only i will be giving them from home.

They do have Madaaris for girls/women in peitermaritzburg that is about 20 mins drive from camperdown.

2.For a child that young i don't think they have any Islamic program, but i will ask as i had heard from a sister here that they have a kind of playschool here, where they incorporate islamic believes.

3.i will check this out with my husband, he is good with the money stuff :D. We did have to buy our own stuff like fridge stove washing machine etc. so the ammount you quoted would take in effect once you are settled.

4.school ends this year the 25th december and will start again in mid january. so we can say that school starts from eedul adha and ends a few weeks before.

:insh: will find more info for help. you can also mail @ askimam@yahoogroups.com for more info.

I think the best think for you is contact Inamiyah directly, via phone or email. And get your information through them. Hope this helps

thats a good idea as well, but for hard core facts it would be best to get info from a person actually studying and living there because they are going through the whole process and know what is needed. for myself and my husband, there were certainly some things that we didnt know about here.

Abu Maryam
08-12-2005, 04:48 PM
Ahqer & Um Eesaa,

Thank you both for your replies. Barak Allahu Feekum.

I hope you do not mind a few follow up questions.

1) Um Eesaa - You mentioned there is no 'Islamic program' for people that young, but there must be muslim children there in the area - What are they all doing? Also, do you have a son named Eesaa? If so, may I ask his age and what his daily schedule is? We just want a good idea of what kids can do if we come, insha'Allah.

2) Also, you mentioned that you are studying the same books from home - Are you studying with a teacher? If so, that is wonderful - Can we pay an 'alima to teach our wives (a friend and I are planning to come, insha'Allah)? If not, isn't that a disadvantage studying everything on your own while the brothers get to study with teachers? Do you know what it would cost to a pay an 'alima to teach 2-4 hours a day?

I have spoken to Mufti Desai extensively while he was here during Ramadhan, in Virginia. I did not specifically ask about accomodations for women or children, however, and these are the biggest concerns now. Is there muslim babysitting available, are their women scholars who can teach, etc.

Prem

sudoku
08-12-2005, 05:31 PM

The ammount you quoted, that would mean that you have 3500 rands per month. Usually rent for a 2 bedroom flat is about 2000 rands. that would leave you with 1500 for everything else. i am pretty sure that will not be enough, espescially since you have a Masha Allah growing daughter.

We asked a married Molana who is doing Ifta here. According to him (he doesnt have kids) a person should have 5500-6000 rands per month. For my husband and I 3500 rands is enough if living with bare necessities (No car, so gas not included).

However, there are some scholorship programs that can help as well. Even madressah sometimes can also accomodate, but i wouldn't count the madressah until you are actually here and they see your situation.

sudoku
08-12-2005, 05:47 PM

all the kids mostly go study in maritzburg, they have a venture that goes everyday to drop and pick up the kids. I myself though teach three kids at home (i dont have any kids actually). I am sure that anyone (myself included of course) wouldnt mind babysitting.

Currently what married students do is that they stay in maritzburg (20 mins)/durban(50 mins) and commute. that way they can send their kids and their wives can study as well.

i myself am not studying with a teacher, rather i do read myself, but my husband comes home and explains everything to me, and if i have questions then he asks the teachers for me. But i have studied the books upto third year+ previously with teachers so its more like a revision. :insh: i am gonna try to get a recorder to record their lessons as well.

i am not sure what it would cost to teach an alima, actually i dont even think we have one in town. Will find out though.

the madressah has a project of building a living quarters adjecent to the madressah which will :insh: complete maybe end of next year.

abuhajira
22-01-2006, 07:12 PM

With the permission of the Mods, I am starting a seperate thrad on Madrasah In'aamiya's Information. In this thread I intend to post information, pictures, experiences etc.

For a rundown on previous thread look at :
http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=98052#post98052

Since I am still compiling a booklet about Madrasah Inaamiyah, I will post random information. and when the booklet is done I will post that as well.

To start of..

Here is a recent release of new time schedule (classes)[ref.note-1] in a jpeg format.

If there are any questions do let me know.

[ref.note-1] : This is the english version, the actual time table is in arabic.

http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/73/timetablefor2006final4kp.th.jpg (http://img399.imageshack.us/my.php?image=timetablefor2006final4kp.jpg)

abuhajira
22-01-2006, 07:23 PM

Some quick questions about Madressa Inamiyya:

1) Toilets - English or Indian?
2) Food - Western or Indian?
3) Boarding - how many in a room?
4) Washing - washing machines available and free?
5) Library - small or large?
6) Students - how many in total?
7) Are students allowed to use the electricity?

1.Toilets They have high pan as well as low pan. But I doubt the high-pan toilets work. I have never tried them. I love low-pan since they are more efficient :)
2.Food Food is south African. A blend of indian food with that of Giyanese kind. Names are all indian, but tastes are different. People get to like it (almost all of them) after sometime. However Madrasah Inaamiya has the best in S.African Madaris.
3.Boarding 6-8 students in a room. Wait for the pics to come up. The rooms are spacious so its not that bad.
4. Washing : Washing is available free from the Madrasah, however anything free is never of high quality. so if you want quality learn how to scrub beforehand :)
5. Library : At moment it is small with about a little over 1500 - 2500 books. There is an expansion project in motion which means the library will be trippled in size.
6. Students : It a small madrassah, currently 130-150 students, which means bigger student to teacher ratio!
7. Are students allowed to use the electricity?: Yes! Student can use electricity. however only for reasonable purposes. you cant keep decks,cd-players,etc.. so the only purpose left for elec. is Microwaves, Minni Fridges, elec. stoves... etc....

:wa:

abuhajira
22-01-2006, 07:43 PM

Coming To South Africa at Madrasah Ina'aamiyah

Chapter 1:

My Journey

Almost a decade ago I had stepped out of my country for the first time. I had set abroad towards Canada for the purpose of my academics. I had no idea how long this journey would be. Crossing the Atlantic and as they say, "the seven seas and the lands" I landed in Toronto. This was all new to me as I was only 17 at that time. It didn’t take long for me to realize that "Hijra" is not an easy thing, even when it is for sake of one’s study. There were so many things I had to incorporate as a part of my lifestyle to get adjusted to Canada. At that time I had decided to make efforts towards making the lives of those who will come after me a bit easier by providing them materials about what to expect once they embark on such a journey. Eight years or so have passed and I have now taken a similar step out of Canada once again towards my next level of studies. South Africa!

It was in the last year, no the last class of my Master's Degree that I had decided to flip my academic world and give it a sharp U turn. I decided to pursue a field that many thought and still think to be a lower level studies. As I recall people in my native land of Pakistan would comment, "Those who cannot excel in regular studies chose to become Maulvis". It is so ironic that what many think to be a second class study, is seen as the only real study from a "Maulvi's" point of view. I remember Mufti Abdul Jaleel Damat Barakatuhum mentioning that all the worldly academics are for wordly gains, and thus only a means of living and "Dharooriyat" while what we study here in this institution not only deals with the word but also what will surely come after it. I also remember reading this in Imam Ghazali's view of Islamic Studies.

Intentions and Aims

It would be clear by now that I am referring to the life of yearning towards the gain of Islamic Knowledge. My course title says, "Islamic Theology" and my Madrassah's (institute) website claims it to be an equivalent to B.A. That I would presume be Bachelors of Arts (Religious Studies). However I would say that it is much more and somewhat less at the same time. This is because Islamic Studies cannot in the least be compared in secular terms. It is a living style on its own; a whole new dimension that cannot be explained by mere number of years of studies as is the case of secular education.

Coming back to what my intentions were while writing this, shall we say "A Welcome Pamphlet". I have been in South Africa for over a year now, and it definitely has been a roller coaster ride, going up and down. At the very outset I should say that this information is intended to primarily benefit those who are eager to come to Camperdown, South Africa with the aim of studying at the Madrasah In'aamiyyah. If it helps someone else as well, I would be thankful to Allah for that. The life that I had imagined for myself was nowhere near what I got when I came here. This is why I have decided to write something that would prevent or rather caution those who will come after me. It is vital to have an idea of the place you are about to make Hijra to so as not to get despondent in the very year you arrive.

When I had decided to set out to study "Alim" course I had two options. I could either go to UK or to S. Africa. My perception was the same as anyone else's. S. Africa would be a rural country, without much living standard and facilities. And why should it not be, its “Africa”!! This was one of the major reasons I had decided to come here instead of UK; A disciplined Madrasah, with staunch environment and all that with the facility of English speaking Ulemas. It was close to, if not "The dream come true". But even to this extent I was proven wrong when I landed here. Many things were better than what I had imagined but a few were slightly off as well.

Also, if you are really looking for a Madrasah to go to, and by chance, you know how to speak Urdu, my preference (now after having the experience of the English style Madrasah) would be either Pakistan or India. Since Pakistan is no longer taking foreign students India would be the choice of place. The reason is simple. The Madaris here have taken their curriculum and syllabi from the well established Indian and Pakistani Madaris, but what lacks here is firmness in Urdu which the teachers have tried to compensate with the local language, English. A brave effort indeed! But the transition has created a gap between the language of the material of the methodology (which is Urdu) and the teaching language (which is English). Many of the older Madaris like Azaadville and Zakariya are still using complete Urdu studies. However in this madrasah the teaching language is generally not fixed. This causes a lot of drawbacks for both Urdu and English speaking students, and especially the ones that are not oriented to the style.

abuhajira
22-01-2006, 07:43 PM
Chapter 2

South Africa

S. Africa is a place where you can truly say that east has met the west. The facilities are that of the west and yet the people are that of the east. As my teacher normally comments that S. Africa is one of the very few countries that can provide drinkable tap water. It is hard to accept but it is very true once you see the actual S. Africa and not the one concocted by your imagination. (At one time I even had a concept of a famine stricken land with no water). In general view, South Africa is simply "beautiful". It has greenery beyond imagination. Green filled mountains envelope the city of Camperdown. It actually reminded me of Western Ontario with valleys and streams. The roads are really good. Those who like to have long drives can enjoy the long stretched Freeway, while those who like the twists and turns may try out the age old smaller hand built roads which seem better than the newer ones.

Camperdown

Let me now focus on our epicenter, the city of Camperdown. When I was searching on the internet about Camperdown before coming here, I could find nothing about it. I did find a few sites about a Camperdown in Australia which is a resort area. When I arrived here in Camperdown, I realized why it was never on the internet. Camperdown is a city of almost 2000-2500 people. It is about 65km from Durban, and 25 km from Peter-meritzberg. For a single student who will be coming here for studies this is perhaps the most irrelevant information. However, Camperdown can be pointed out on the map with these directions.

The city is small, yet filled with amazing businesses. If I were to name the ones I can remember they would be:

1. SPAR (A convenience/Grocery store, a bit expensive but since it’s the cheapest in the area it’s best for shopping). Recently it has started to serve Halaal chicken and some meat. But you need not worry, in other products you can always look for the seal of SANHA (South African National Halaal Association) for Halaal products. SPAR will soon be a Super-Spar, which means it will have a dozen more shops opening in it with lots more to offer at cheaper prices.
2. STAR (Another convenience store run by Muslims, but is more expensive than SPAR. It is good for specific Items. )
3. TOPS Liquor Store (We need not worry about what they sell :) )
4. Rita's Fashion ...something... (A clothing store with basic clothing. Also have shoes. Run by a Hindu fellow. Nice for cheap slippers and clothing )
5. S.A Parak's (This is a wholesale shop like Costco in US and Canada, but not as extensive on variety. It is run by Uncle Parak a prominent Muslim fellow. They will be moving to another even bigger premises )
6. I. E. Essack & Co. ( Probably the oldest store in the town, run by Uncle Essack, probably the oldest uncle in town :)... but he is one of the most nicest and prominent of figures of Muslim Community of Camperdown. )
7. Elida Strasberg Estates ( A very nice Jewish lady, who helped me a lot with my apartment, runs a real estate and is very straight forward ).

Other facilities that you might find here would be,

- A couple of lawyers and Attorneys
- A VET
- A Court
- A Police Station
- A Halaal Meat store (coming soon)
- An Auto-Garage
- A Hardware Store
- A Library
- A Town Hall (It’s more of a City office)
- A Mosque

and a few others...

This city information is useful for those who wish to move here with families, though I would not really recommend that, as it entails lot of hardships. Finding an apartment or a house is like waiting in cue for six to seven months. I myself, when I came here, had to take help from a teacher of mine, May Allah grant him full rewards, Amin.

abuhajira
22-01-2006, 07:45 PM
Chapter 3

Prospective Student

1. Married Students

If you are a married student who wishes to come here and study at Madrasah, my sincere advice is to think beforehand. There are many aspects to look before you make your decision. It is even harsher for the newly weds. When I came here I was a newly wed and for me to leave my wife home alone, for most part of the day was pretty hard. There are many reasons why it is so hard. Foreign students like us, have our own way of living which is a bit different then what this environment offers.

Sometime seclusion of the house gets to you. If you don’t have a car then it is even harder since you have to request someone to take you to the neighboring city for a mere couple of hours of outing.

Though the food and groceries are there, but under a limited budget you can only expand your varieties so much. I remember in Canada a stroll after supper was a delicacy which I have long forgotten since it is not advisable to roam outside after sunset. There are also other factors which make sure that if you come here with a family, then the mujahada(struggle) will not be only on your part but also your wife.

2. Single students

If you are a single student, then my first advice is to correct the intention. Do not get forced into coming here, since that will only make it harder for you to accept it. If your parents are adamant on sending you here then, correct your aim and accept it willfully.

The reason I say so is because, if your heart is not in it then the probability is the next time you visit home, you wont come back. The life of a single student is easy, if he wishes to make use of it. You have to follow a pattern at the Madrasah and if you make yourself used to it then you will not only enjoy the life but also learn a lot from it.

They have a saying at the Madrasah, "Its (Madrasah) a laundry, dirty clothes come in to get clean.. Sometimes the clean ones get dirty too". This is quite true. Not all students in the madrasah are angels and Sufis, so expect those kind of students as well (i.e. not so righteous). If you are keeping a specific pattern in your life then look at the Madrasah timings if they suit you. It brings great frustration to have to leave a routine that works for you, and having to forcefully take up another routine. Remember, you have decided to come here... consequences cannot be blamed at the Madrasah.

Food

The life at madrasah will be as you wish to make it. There are those very few who seclude themselves towards Ibada and studies, while there are those who exert towards exercise (ahem.. playing). The food (chow as they call it her) is good. It is not a five star meal but it’s the best in the country. The Madrasah has a chef of its own. In the dorms they have a schedule in food menu and there is no exceptional menu for the foreigners (as in madaris in Pakistan). The basic menu includes kari khichrdy, Aknee, chicken, meat(mutton), biriyani or daal.

Limitation to the Madrasah Boundary

All students are restricted to the Madrasah Premise. They cannot go out except with a permission slip from the office. This is for student’s safety, and not the urge of the official to subjugate the students to show authority.

abuhajira
22-01-2006, 07:53 PM

Now some pictures.... the above story will continue after these interval pics. They are basically to give you a feel of places here...

http://img464.imageshack.us/my.php?image=amosqueindurban7gf.jpg
http://img57.imageshack.us/my.php?image=backviewofclasses6pc.jpg
http://img57.imageshack.us/my.php?image=classfor2ndyear9gk.jpg
http://img522.imageshack.us/my.php?image=classfor3rdyear3uo.jpg
http://img460.imageshack.us/my.php?image=classroomforiftaa7hr.jpg
http://img29.imageshack.us/my.php?image=courtonasunnyday5al.jpg
http://img521.imageshack.us/my.php?image=daruliftaa0er.jpg
http://img39.imageshack.us/my.php?image=daruttajweed6ao.jpg
http://img384.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dormshallway6tp.jpg

talib al-habib
22-01-2006, 09:40 PM
salams

masha-allah, that's really useful info.

could anybody put something similar up about studying in Syria (emphasis on family life, amenities, difficulties adjusting for western people?

salams

abuhajira
24-01-2006, 06:52 PM
Chapter 4

Playing Facilities: A Gym, Tennis Court (also used for soccer), Volleyball court, Squash Wall, Table Tennis, cricket/soccer field.

Dorms
The dorms are divided according to the class you are in. For example: First year students stay in one room and soon. The rooms are huge and accommodate six to eight students.

The students are not allowed to keep any magazines, newspapers, novels or walkman/radio/cd-man. If such items are found then they are confiscated. Similarly the cell-phones are also not allowed.
If in case you see a fellow student with these items, it would not entail that they are permissible. Every student has to buy a locker for himself, but this will be dealt in the finance later on.

For every four rooms there is a Washroom. Every washroom consists of four or five cubicles for toilet and two or three showers. Every washroom also has a wudhu area.

Dress Code

When I was coming here, I had an idea that it will be strictly white Jubba and pajama, however I have seen that Madrasah is far more flexible then that. You may wear any kind of juba as long as it is above your ankles and not half sleeves. You may also wear any type of lower garment as long as it’s above ankles. At one time we had an announcement that Takkies (long shorts) are not allowed. Beside this, you may wear sweaters, over coats and basically anything. Students must wear Topi at all times. It is not an obligation as to what kind of topi. Similarly imama is also encouraged but not necessary.
Laundry and Appliances

The laundry is done mainly by the Madrasah, however if someone wishes to do their own laundry they are allowed to. There are enough spaces to hang ones clothes. Students may keep an iron on themselves. Similarly other appliances like a Fridge, Microwave, Electric Stove, Water Kettles etc are also permissible.

Facilities

It would be hard to count each and every facility, however the main ones are:
Madrasah has its own Tuck shop which opens at specific timings. Tuck-shop provides normal junk food like chips and cola as well as basic stationary.

Madrasah also has a Library under the guidance of Maulana Mohammad Abassomer. The library has sufficient reading material from wide range of topics including the four eminent madhahibs and Islaah e Batin (Tasawwuf) as well.

Madrasah has its own Tuck shop which opens at specific timings. Tuck-shop provides normal junk food like chips and cola as well as basic stationary.

Madrasah also has a Bookshop which caters for all the syllabus books, along with some out of syllabus books as well. It also sells Topis, Imamas, Lungis, Miswak, Kuhl and Attar etc.

Madrasah has a Masjid that is situated in the middle of the classes. I found this structure to be very nice since it is actually the masjid we are all connected with.

Darul Iftaa is headed by Hazrat Mufti Ebrahim Deai himself with a couple of other outstanding teachers. Darul Iftaa has its own library with specific Fiqh related books and this small library is in itself the class of Iftaa students.

Madrasah also has a publishing department with Maulana Mohammad Ibrahim, who is one of the senior teachers.

Dar ul Tajweed is run by Maulana Qari Ismail Abdul Aziz Sahib, who is a well-known Qari in South Africa. He is specialized in Sab'a and 'Ashara and teaches these in the Incorporated Alim course.

Darul Quran has about 6 teachers each teaching about ten to fifteen students. It is head by Qari Nazeer Sahib. Hifz Classes take place in Darul Quran

Two new departments will soon be in operation. Takhassus Dept and Qadhaa Dept.

abuhajira
24-01-2006, 06:53 PM
Chapter 5

Programs Available

• Hifzul Qur’aan (memorizing the Qur’aan): generally over 3 years depending on the ability of the student
• I’daadiyah (introductory phase for Aalim course)
• Imaam / Khatib Training: between 1 and 3 years. This is to equip a person to be an Imaam and fulfil basic Islamic requirements of the community, for example, perform Salaat, Jumu’ah, Nikah, etc.
• Qiraat Hafs (normal reading) and Qiraat Sab’a (7 dialects) and Asharah (10 dialects)
• Aalim Course 6 years
• Mufti course: minimum 2 years
• Specialty (Takhassus) in Hadith: 1 year
• Qadhaa (Islamic judiciary): 1 year after the Mufti course

abuhajira
24-01-2006, 06:58 PM
Chapter 6

Finances

Any student who comes to study needs to fulfill some of the financial burden. In one of my meetings with Mufti Ebrahim Desai, he mentioned that it is his aim to bring in as many foreign students as possible so that they may take the knowledge and spread it all around.

As to the question of how much should one have, I would say:

For students in boarding the tuition fee is like $50 USD everything included, though it is recommended that you keep $ 20 to $ 30 extra per month for you own personal expenses. The madrasah is in a secluded area, therefore the only shops are at a twenty to thirty walk distance and you need written permission before you may go out. This extra bit of pocket money will help you in purchasing your Mattresses, Locker, Chips and snacks etc.

They do not currently have accommodations for married students, so married students have to come up with extra money for residential purposes. To live comfortably (without extravagances) you would probably need about 550 USD per month. This is subjected to one of the biggest hurdles of finding an accommodation. Also, this will not include any automobile expenses.

There is a list of item that madrasah normally asks the newcomers to purchase which normally is not that extensive.

Medical Facility

The nearest proper hospital is 20 min drive. However there is one small surgeon in Camperdown who also looks at general patients. Another nearest doctor is in Cato Ridge which is 10 min drive. In cases of Emergency Madrasah have its own vans which if available will take you to the hospital.

Abu Hurayrah
24-01-2006, 07:06 PM
Assalamu Alaikakum

Brother, can you please tell us if that is per month or for the whole year. I am assuming it is per month.

Ma salam

abuhajira
24-01-2006, 07:30 PM

Yes, all costs are per month. For single students its about $USD50 / month and for married I mentioned that they are per month.

EDIT (3/10/2008) : The current fees are R1000 / month. You may use the conversion. It is approximately $140 / month. However remember that this fee is flexible depending on your paying ability.

Husain
25-01-2006, 04:21 AM
"Takkies (long shorts)"

Takkies are running shoes. You might have meant :"Jammies"

abuhajira
25-01-2006, 08:31 PM

Yes, :jazak: for correction.

abuhajira
28-01-2006, 11:46 AM

Madrasah Inaamiya Imaam and Khateeb Courses began today. Dar ul Quraan released their Hifz schedule for this year. I thought this would be a nice time table for those interested in Hifz.

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/4708/arabichiftime2mz.th.jpg (http://img88.imageshack.us/my.php?image=arabichiftime2mz.jpg)

EDIT (3/10/2008) : The Imam Khateeb Program got terminated due to lack of human resources. That is the unofficial reason. I am not sure what was the exact reason.

zeal_4_knowledge
28-01-2006, 09:03 PM
Assalamualaikum

I was thinking of coming to the Darul Uloom for a "Gap Year" after I finish college, which would mean I'd probably start after Ramadhan 2007. I started Hifz a month and a half back, and I have completed 3 Juz. So I'm hoping to have done around 25 Juz,inshallah, or however much I can by the time I start. So I have a few questions.

Would I have to start the Quran again, (however much I have done by then)?

How much Sabbak is required daily as a minimum for hafiz class, and dor and sabbak para dor?

Is it OK to come for just one year?

How rigourous is the teaching? Also, do they teach how to pray with a good tune and good tajweed?

How would I go about applying?

Jazakallah

abuhajira
28-01-2006, 09:16 PM

Would I have to start the Quran again, (however much I have done by then)?
No, you may start from wherever you have finished. but if the QUraan is too week then you might have to revise what youb already did

How much Sabbak is required daily as a minimum for hafiz class, and dor and sabbak para dor?
It depends on individual..If your speed is good you may take as much as you can stand.

Is it OK to come for just one year?
Yes, its fine.

How rigourous is the teaching? Also, do they teach how to pray with a good tune and good tajweed?
You study / memorize the whole day.. but its on you how sincerely vigorous you will make your study. They have a schedule, which I will shortly be posting..

How would I go about applying?
You will need to send your Passport details , and when you get your admission details .. apply for VISA and come.. contact me through email if you wish assistance.

zeal_4_knowledge
28-01-2006, 09:44 PM
Assalamualaikum

Surely there must be some sort of daily amount prayed, all the darul ulooms and madressas I've seen have. I.e. Minimum 1 side Sabbak, 1/2 Para Sabbak Para, 1 Para Dor, etc... Or this might just vary from class to class.

Also how do people spend Weekends there? Are you allowed to go around freely out of the darul ulooms boundaries?

Would there be a way I could learn Basic Arabic, in concurrence with finishing quran/Dor? As Arabic will be incorporated in the Economics And Arabic Degree I wish to pursue, so it would make it easier for me as well

Jazakallah

abuhajira
05-02-2006, 06:44 PM

Regarding sabak for Hifz course I will confirm from the Nazim e Taleemaat. However as I said it is on person to person. If someone is good at memorising then he gets more and if someon is slow then he gets less. You make daus or the previous sabak etc ..

Weekends are at madrassah ecept for the long weekend. Normal weekend you have classes off from Saturday 1200 till Maghrab of Sunday. You may not go out freely. You need to get permission. They have lots of game activities and all. On longweekend you may decide to stay at madrasah of go for Jamaat or camping...etc.. All options are there

Zubair
05-02-2006, 10:52 PM
salam

would it be beneficial to go only for the summer? for arabic mostly?

salam

abuhajira
07-02-2006, 05:32 PM

Unfortunately the madrasah does not has any small specialized courses except for already graduated Ulema. Coming only for summer (i.e summer of S.Africa dec-jan) would not be beneficial.

abuhajira
11-02-2006, 08:53 PM

Today at madrasah I decided to record of Qiraat Class and put it here. but then after listening to all the noice I decided to change it a bit and I am posting that file. Hopefully this will give an idea what is expected to be achieved from Qari Course.

The Surah Qari Ismail is reciting is Surah Yusuf, First Ruku.

Check the file here, (You may have to signup on the Askimam Yahoogroup)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/askimam/files/

File :
Qari Ismail Abdul Aziz
Surah Yusuf - Tarteel (In Class recording)

zeal_4_knowledge
29-05-2006, 12:30 PM
I intend to go to Madrasah In'amiyyah for a year, sometime around summer 2007. Until the following summer. However, I will also be applying for University, during that year, and all the updates about application will be done through e-mail, and the website for University Application. So my question is, are there IT (Computer) facilities with internet, in which I could be kept updated about my application?

Husain
29-05-2006, 01:03 PM
You could have your email forwarded to the Madrasah email address, then be informed by Madrasah authorities whenever mail has arrived for you.

Your other option would be to bring a cellphone with - or purchase one here, however bringing it with would be cheaper- and then check your email using Gprs, Edge or 3g.

zeal_4_knowledge
29-05-2006, 09:42 PM
That probably wouldn't be a problem having it forwarded. However, the system of application here also requires me to keep updated on the University application website, as well as e-mail.

Husain
30-05-2006, 05:45 AM
You could go to the Darul Ifta and get the person in charge of the computers there to allow you to check up the website once in a while, when he is there.
The arrangement could be made with Mufti Desai, or you could get a cellphone

amr457
11-06-2006, 02:24 PM
Can you please kindly state which books are studied in each and every year of the alim course in this madrassa?...and also whether the books studied are in Urdu, English or Arabic?

I follow Shafii mathab. Is it proper for me to study here? Will there be the option of studying shafii kitabs here?

Is it possible to study the first few years locally in the UK and then join the Madrassa at the later stage of the studies?

I hear in S.A you have to get through more kitabs...

What are the prerequisites to start the alim course?
Jazakallah khair

godilali
11-06-2006, 06:51 PM
amr457:

Just to let you know, there are shafii madaaris in South Africa.

abuhajira
11-06-2006, 07:37 PM
You could go to the Darul Ifta and get the person in charge of the computers there to allow you to check up the website once in a while, when he is there.
The arrangement could be made with Mufti Desai, or you could get a cellphone

Actually cellphones are strictly prohibited for Madrassah Students. the other option is more viable.. Sheikh Jaffar lets you use the computer once in a while..and you can manage your emails that way. but internet is not the primary focus of the Alim course

EDIT (3/10/2008):

1. Cell phones are still off limits. The prohibition is very very severe. The principal has at occasion broken cellphones in front of masjid to make the point that they are not allowed.
2. The Comp. Dept. are more than happy to cater a time slot once a week for email checking. They will usually assign 20 min window, where you can check your email. However, for strict reasons they will not allow 100% privacy while you do it.

abuhajira
11-06-2006, 07:43 PM
Assalamoalaykum...

I think that the yearly schedule for Madressa Inamiyya is from after Hajj...

What do the students do at hajj time. Do they go home?

What if someone is just coming from abroad, for only one year - say, from September 06 to Sepember 07 to do Hifz, then what will he do when the Madressa has a break for Hajj time?

Will he be allowed to stay in the Madressa or will he have to go back home?

JazakAllah Khair.

Wasalaam.

Madrassah's year starts 20th January..and ends in December.

There are about 20 days holiday for the year end in which some students go home, while others go for jamaat and/or brush up other work.

Sept. is more a time for Ramadan. For hifz students ramadan holidays are only 1 wk. so you do your hifz classes for first three weaks of Ramadan.

All foreign students stay in Madrasah in holidays..they have a choice of going for Jamaat at Tabligh but not necessary. If they stay, they get to go for one outing..either camping or something of that sort. Otherwise they do their own muta'la

abuhajira
11-06-2006, 07:47 PM
Can you please kindly state which books are studied in each and every year of the alim course in this madrassa?...and also whether the books studied are in Urdu, English or Arabic?

I follow Shafii mathab. Is it proper for me to study here? Will there be the option of studying shafii kitabs here?

Is it possible to study the first few years locally in the UK and then join the Madrassa at the later stage of the studies?

I hear in S.A you have to get through more kitabs...

What are the prerequisites to start the alim course?
Jazakallah khair

If you go through the thread completely you would see that I have posted a whole time table of the courses tought here..

As for shafii , it is true that there are shafii schools available..but still you may do your studies according to shaffii methods here.. Infact for the first time in Madrassah our coming Idaadiya class has about 8-10 shaffii's...
mostly phillipinies..

amr457
26-06-2006, 04:57 PM
jazakallah,

just curious. since i'm shafii, in a hanafi darul-uloom, how does one go about learning shafii fiqh? is it through studying the ikhtilaafs or are different shafii kitabs studied? for example, 'reliance of the traveller'.

Sunni_Student786
27-06-2006, 12:07 AM
Brother AbuHajira,

Who are the Shafi'i ustadhs at Madrassah Inamiyyah, if there are any?

And if there aren't, then who teaches the Shafi'i fiqh?

And brother Abu Hajira, would it be possible to mention exactly how many teachers there are in each faculty and then in total at the Madrassah at present?

godilali
27-06-2006, 02:49 AM
Darul Uloom al-Arabiyya al-Islaamiyyah, in Western Cape South Africa teaches Shafii fiqh.

You can contact Shaykh Taha Karaan
:

mt_k@hotmail.com in South Africa (Tel: 0027-21-8560311 / Cell:0027-84-3588633)

Haaji_Abubakr
12-11-2006, 03:10 AM
As salaamu alaykum,

Just a quick question. What if you can't make it to South Africa in time of the first day of classes. Is there a cut off time for students to apply? Also, the phone that was previously posted for the madrassa hasn't worked for me, every time I call I get an instant busy signal. Can someone repost the phone to the Madrassa.

Husain
12-11-2006, 05:32 AM
wa'aalikum as-Salam

Students are generally accepted during the year as well, as long as they could manage and are prepared to catch up on the missed lessons.

For Madrasah Inamiyyah, the number is:
0027317851091 or 0027317851519

Phone on weekdays between 7-10am Gmt or 1pm-3m Gmt.

Husain
08-01-2007, 07:46 AM
1. You get a few mosquito - not malaria carrying ones- during certain seasons. No need for a net, a cheap anti-mosquito unit that plugs into the wall gets rid of them.

2. The tap water is perfectly safe, however bottled water can be purchased at a big supermarket just out of the Madrasah.

Yasmin_S
25-01-2007, 06:06 PM
Asalamu 'Alaykum does anyone have information like this on other madressas such as darul uloom zakariyya by any chance? your help wil be greatly appreciated. jazakallah khair

abuhajira
13-04-2007, 06:19 PM

I am sorry I have not seen this thread for a long time.. but not to woory I will make it upon me to try to see it atleast once a week inshAllah

just curious. since i'm shafii, in a hanafi darul-uloom, how does one go about learning shafii fiqh? is it through studying the ikhtilaafs or are different shafii kitabs studied? for example, 'reliance of the traveller'.

We have quite a few Shafii students, however personally I had not seen any particular difference of study material untill last year. In the pre-first year they do "Tuhfatul Ikhwaan" and thereafter most emphasis is on arabic. Personally I do not find it much usefull since madrassah doesnt has any and I mean ANY Shafii ustaad. So for the shafii students I would personally recomend going to Maulana Taha Karaan's madrassah. I think Godilali will provide info about that inshAllah. Its called Madrassah Arabia Islamia, I believe.

Who are the Shafi'i ustadhs at Madrassah Inamiyyah, if there are any?

And if there aren't, then who teaches the Shafi'i fiqh?

Unfortunately none, and personally I dont agree with a Hanafi teaching Shafii fiqh for one reason. Most of the Hanafi fiqh kitaabs are in contrast with shafii fiqh. Since the emergence and formation of Hanafi fiqh into this indepth analysis kind of madhah cam through ikhtalafat with shafii, I find quite a few hanafis biass toward hanafiyat. Yeah if the teacher is good enough to give due rspect to both sides of ikhtalaf.. it would be best.

And brother Abu Hajira, would it be possible to mention exactly how many teachers there are in each faculty and then in total at the Madrassah at present?

I think I had mention it in one of the threads. The madrassah has about 21 or 23 Ustaads. I will look at the new listings of this year and let you know. But Faculty wise Alim has the highest.

Just a quick question. What if you can't make it to South Africa in time of the first day of classes. Is there a cut off time for students to apply? Also, the phone that was previously posted for the madrassa hasn't worked for me, every time I call I get an instant busy signal. Can someone repost the phone to the Madrassa.

1. Madrassa is very acomodating in this aspect for the foergners. So you can even call now and confirm your decision. you can email photocopy of your passport, photo id to alinaam@alinaam.org.za or fax it to (031)785-2786
2. Regarding phone here is a list of phone numbers which will help.
a. Darul Iftaa - 031-785-1239
b. Mufti Ebrahim Saheb (cell)- 084-299-8390
c. Maulana Zakariya Desai (cell) 084-478-6259
d. Mufti Kadwa Saheb - 031-785-1519 / fax 785-1091
e. Abuhajira :) (cell) - 031-785-1034 {preferably keep me your last hope :) as I can only so little}

abuhajira
13-04-2007, 06:22 PM

1) Are there many mosquitoes there in Camperdown?
2) Is there bottled water available in the tuck shop?

Ditto to Soofie-Saheb, and dont worry after coming you will settle down just fine. It is no where like african adventure areas. It pretty nice and livable area..

Abdul Hayy
16-07-2007, 05:47 PM

Unfortunately the madrasah does not has any small specialized courses except for already graduated Ulema. Coming only for summer (i.e summer of S.Africa dec-jan) would not be beneficial.

This is what the Madaris need to think about in my opinion. There are so many Darul 'Ulooms around the world. Where I live there are well over a dozen such Madaris. But if someone wanted to learn basic fiqh or Arabic he can't. You have to enroll for the full 6 years full-time.

Please forgive me for the expression but it seems like we are only interested in "churning out Molvi's" (again forgive me for the expression)

They need to think about educating the masses through smaller courses? Plus the 'Ulema that have "graduated" are too busy trying to make financial ends meet, marriage and maktab that they can't afford to spare time to teach the general public or just individuals.

In my area there are over 80 'Ulema and huffaz, and when you look at the state of the 'awwam its pitiful.

Its a shame. Actually its shameful.

Anyway what do I know.

abuhajira
16-07-2007, 06:17 PM
This is what the Madaris need to think about in my opinion. There are so many Darul 'Ulooms around the world. Where I live there are well over a dozen such Madaris. But if someone wanted to learn basic fiqh or Arabic he can't. You have to enroll for the full 6 years full-time.

Please forgive me for the expression but it seems like we are only interested in "churning out Molvi's" (again forgive me for the expression)

They need to think about educating the masses through smaller courses? Plus the 'Ulema that have "graduated" are too busy trying to make financial ends meet, marriage and maktab that they can't afford to spare time to teach the general public or just individuals.

In my area there are over 80 'Ulema and huffaz, and when you look at the state of the 'awwam its pitiful.

Its a shame. Actually its shameful.

Anyway what do I know.

All the more reason for you to spend 6-10 years in an academic environment and help your community resolve these matters.

You have requested apology for your remark about Maulvis, and that makes me sad. I do not wish to discourage you, but you speak as though Maulvi is a small level of education. Have you heard of Harvard University giving a 6 week Diploma course in Shakespearean English Literature, after which you will be recognised as a scholar in English? Then why do you expect Madaris which are Universities offering a course in Islamic Theology to make a such courses which would demean the subject matter of education.

Let me ask you, what do you intend to do with Arabic? What good will it do to a small town like yellow knife, canada to have learnt arabic?

Regarding Basic Fiqh
1.As for basic Fiqh, then almost every masjid has a sunday or saturday school teaching Taleem ul Haq etc. One should swallow ones pride and enroll in them. They are very helpful. Knowing fiqh only entails known the rulings of the particular madhab.
2.At the same time Masajid should take these initiative to make adult classes and I am aware of many Imams who do do it.

The maqsad of Madrassah is not linguistics, its knowledge of deen. and for that there is a method. Either you follow it or you dont. If everyone were to become Alims, then Allah would not have given them their high status.

Yes, you should rather say, that there should be small refresher courses to help the awaam. And there are! they are mostly run by masajid not madaris.

- Again affairs of Ulema of your place is not the concern of Madaris, that is the affair of those Ulema..They will be held accountable for that
- It is rejuvinating to see your worry for the awwaam. For awaam the best course is to get associated with Jamaat work. They will not only learn basic fiqh, and steadfastness on Salaah but will also change their thinking ideology.

Abdul Hayy
16-07-2007, 10:21 PM
First of all forgive me if I have caused any undue offense.

There are many points of rebuttal in what you have posted, but I am not in the business of arguing with an 'Alim or the 'Ulema, therefore I wont respond to them.

What I posted is my observance of the current situation in many places, and it is far from perfect.

I respect the 'Ulema and advise others too also. It pains me to see the 'Ulema being talked bad of and I defend the them wherever I can.

The madaris are doing a great duty and I respect them in mind and soul for that.

I encourage those of thinking of studying at a Dar al 'Uloom to go ahead and do so and be privileged.

However the current state is far from perfect and my observation I stated. There are areas of improvement and they should be addressed.

wa-Allahu a'lam

abuhajira
16-07-2007, 10:24 PM

Agreed.. current state of ummah needs lot and lot of work from not only Ulama but also each and every muslim who carried the precious faith in their heart.

Abdul Hayy
20-07-2007, 08:01 PM

Forgive me for returning to this but I would like you to take a look at the below excerpt I have found:

The death of an ‘Alim is the death of the ‘Alam (world)

In every era the spiritual reformation, wholesomeness and success of the Ummah has been closely attached to the ‘Ulema. Whenever the ‘Ulema and leaders of the Ummah portrayed outstanding models for the Ummah and continued their obligations of reformation and dissemination, the Ummah enjoyed peace and tranquillity and the “Allah – inspired” peace of mind continued its descent upon them.

On the other hand whenever the leaders and so-called “’Ulema” fell into a slumber of negligence and whenever they had over looked their status and fell behind pursuits of wealth and fame and portrayed a bad example to the Ummah, spiritual deviation set swiftly. The fire of spiritual corruption and moral degeneration was set aflame and the blazes of internecine wars exploded into a towering inferno. The blame lies on none other than this group of ‘Ulema.

Presently, there are numerous religious institutions and who knows the total number of ‘Ulema qualifying from these institutes. The numerous ‘Ulema graduating from these Madaris should have resulted in the total eradication of ignorance and deviation from every corner of the world but alas, these so-called “leaders” are nothing more than (in the words of the Hadith) “the scum of flood waters.”

The main reason for this is that education has been transformed more into a formality and custom than anything else. Religious institutes today lack the faculties of spiritual reformation and upbringing. On the other hand, matters have reached such extremes that on the pretext of ta’leem and tarbiyyah (education and religious upbringing), the children in primary Madrasahs (maktabs) are beaten like animals. The students in turn develop evil thoughts about the teachers and tend to become antagonistic towards them. The teachers are under the impression that their obligation is restricted to teaching only. There seems to be no bond linking the student and teacher together. Nobody seems to be aware of each other’s rights nor is there any consideration awarded to them.

Within the various branches of teaching and education, there seems to be either an upper extremity or a lower extremity. On one hand, lengthy lectures, multi-faceted differences of opinions and views regarding a certain masalah has become the norm of the day., whilst on the other hand, mere translation of the book has become the habit of certain teachers.

The condition of the students is that they pay no attention to mutala’ah (studying) nor do they have any inclination towards takrar (revision and repetition). Merely sitting in class, preparing for the examination and attaining a certificate have become a rather simple issue.

Regardless of the theoretical and practical capabilities of the students, the Madrasah authorities are wont of issuing Qiraat and ‘Alim certificates no matter what happens. On the other hand some students who, taken aback by their zeal to toiling, desire to memorise all their books without taking any care of their health and eye-sight.

These are some of the defects which have rendered of the Ummah thirsty for ‘Ulema who can be of genuine service to them. Only such ‘Ulema and Madaris will be able to quench this thirst of the Ummah.

Even in these times, if decent arrangements are made for the education and spiritual fostering of the students of these Madaris, the thirst of the Ummah can still be quenched and the Ummah can metamorphose into a spiritual flourishing and lush Ummah….

(Mufti) Muhammad Zayd (Mazahiri Nadwi)
1 Rajab 1410 A.H.
Jamia Arabiyah
Hatoora Banda
(U.P. India)

(Etiquette for Teachers and Students, compiled by Mufti Muhammad Zayd Mazahiri Nadwi from the writings of Maulana Ashraf ‘Ali Thanwi)

Source: Enjoining the Good and Forbidding the Evil (http://ibnayyub.wordpress.com/2007/07/17/the-death-of-an-%e2%80%98alim-is-the-death-of-the-%e2%80%98alam-world/)

abuhajira
20-07-2007, 09:16 PM

I agree with Mufti Saheb.

At the same time, I uphold Madaris for being there when there was plain chaos in attaining Deen. Yes many see madaris as a easy going 6-9 years for attaining an Alim certeficate. But Alhamdulillah I have not met materialistic elders within institution as yet. In fact I have seen my teacher NOT give recomendation for certain individual because his habbits were not too acceptable.

The system is not flawless, and there is immense room for improvement. However, every year my hope increases as I see more and more promising students in madaris. Those who really come as "Talib Ilm" with the zeal to learn and become better. Their love for books, respect for teachers and innocence to any alterior motive raises their status. It is when I see them, I say.. the system is not a total loss!

In the same breath, the conditions of madaris is not far worse than their counterpart secular institutes. Maulana ashraf Ali Thanvi r.a once said to an official who rebuked Madrassa Student and said.. "So petty theives live in Madaris".. and He answer,"No hadhrat, even thieves come here to learn Ilm of Deen"..

These critical view of madrassah is effective for those who are in nizamat of madaris. For general public.. it is enough for them to know that their imaan has a far more chance of being save within madrassah walls then out..

Abdugafur
30-09-2007, 08:41 PM
Assalamu alaykum.

May I ask some questions regarding this madrasa?

Where will students read their books after their regular daily classes are over? Will they study in their dorm rooms where 5-6 people live or are there separate class rooms for individual mutalaa?

Can you also clarify more on daily study life schedule in madrasa? When do classes start, how many hours will students be engaged with classes in a day? I did not understand well the time-table you uploaded above.

Can you clarify more on admission procedure. I am 23 years old. I don't know either Arabic or Urdu. Alhamdulillah, I can read Qur'an, I have the basic knowledge of Islam which I have obtained in my mother toungue. Am I eligible to apply? I want to complete full Alim course. Since I don't have basic madrasa knowledge to which course will they admit me now?

How much is average monthly expenditure? (including tuition fees, living, foods, etc) Is there any help for those who can not afford that expenditure?

abuhajira
04-10-2007, 05:08 AM
Assalamu alaykum.

May I ask some questions regarding this madrasa?

this thread is for the purpose..InshAllah,

Where will students read their books after their regular daily classes are over? Will they study in their dorm rooms where 5-6 people live or are there separate class rooms for individual mutalaa?

If you look at the time table, there is time allocated for "Takraar". Takraar means revision. This is the time allocated solely for revision of the books and sabaq you have done that day. After Ishaa' you have another 1.5 hours of study time which is for "Mutal'a" that is going over the sabaq of the next day beforehand. Many student utilize this time while others are lazy.

The Takraar/mutal'a is don in masjid Sehen. All the madrassah is gathered in the sehen which does make it a bit hard to study. But those who study well in groups are far more than those who like lone studies. Loner studies is discouraged in madrassah for the fact that group takrar help you opne in your explanation of the Masail and Ibarat. However after your Mutal'a time you have the whole night to keep a small lamp and do your individual studies.

Can you also clarify more on daily study life schedule in madrasa? When do classes start, how many hours will students be engaged with classes in a day? I did not understand well the time-table you uploaded above.

Fajr is about 5:45
After Fajr there is time of daily adhkaar etc..
Classes start at 6:45 ( these times chage as per the time of year_
Classed go right up to 11:00
Lunch Hour is until 1:00 in which you have your lunch and sleep
Classes begin around 1:30 after Dhuhur until Asr.
After Asr you have your recreation time untill Maghrib
Maghrib till Eshaa is Takraar
1.5 hours after Eshaa is Mutal'a..
After that its lights out.. unless you wish to use lanterns and small lamps to study on your own.

Note that it is not like a prison that they turn your lights out.. its just that the Nazim will come and knock to turn you lights off. some students stay up late..

Can you clarify more on admission procedure. I am 23 years old. I don't know either Arabic or Urdu. Alhamdulillah, I can read Qur'an, I have the basic knowledge of Islam which I have obtained in my mother toungue. Am I eligible to apply? I want to complete full Alim course. Since I don't have basic madrasa knowledge to which course will they admit me now?

Most students coming for Alim course are not acquainted with any prior knowledge as well. Age is no hindrance too. You will apply by posting your basic education (secular OR religious what ever you have done) to the email : alinaam@alinaam.org.za It is better to attach your passport copy of information page. Remember we dont really need the photograph. Its the information page that we need.

Give a short background about yourself, the area your are applying and the madaris facilities in that are..

eligibility is not hard, but the Admin Office reserve the right to admission. So post these info and inshAllah I will forward them to the Admin office. Remember I can only do this after Ramadan.

Since you dont have any basic knowledge you will have the option of either doing "Idaadiya" pre-1st year or 1st year. I personally would recommend 1st year since I expect 20+ student are mature enough to grasp the ideas and basis very quickly.. For them Idaadiya will be a waste of lots of valuable time.. but again it is up to the Nazim Ta'leemat to decide that. In our Madrassah that is Maulana Harun Dhooma Saheb.

How much is average monthly expenditure? (including tuition fees, living, foods, etc) Is there any help for those who can not afford that expenditure?

The normal cost of education here is R1000/month which is equivallent to US$ 142 /month. However we do help foerigners with cost of education if they are unable to afford it. Boarding/lodging and education expenses are all inclusive. Though you will need to pay for your Visa costs, Tickets, and monthly personal expenses which are about US$ 60 – 75 / month. However that expense is based one personal use.

Abdugafur
04-10-2007, 10:07 AM
Jazakallohu khayr, brother. Thank you very much.

ummati
13-11-2007, 04:07 PM
As Salaamu Alaikum ww

Could anyone inform me of when the holidays for Madressa In'aamiyah are during the year? It would be greatly appreciated.Jazakallah.

Was Salaam ww

al-faqeer
16-11-2007, 08:17 AM

I am sorry I have not seen this thread for a long time.. but not to woory I will make it upon me to try to see it atleast once a week inshAllah

We have quite a few Shafii students, however personally I had not seen any particular difference of study material untill last year. In the pre-first year they do "Tuhfatul Ikhwaan" and thereafter most emphasis is on arabic. Personally I do not find it much usefull since madrassah doesnt has any and I mean ANY Shafii ustaad. So for the shafii students I would personally recomend going to Maulana Taha Karaan's madrassah. I think Godilali will provide info about that inshAllah. Its called Madrassah Arabia Islamia, I believe.

Unfortunately none, and personally I dont agree with a Hanafi teaching Shafii fiqh for one reason. Most of the Hanafi fiqh kitaabs are in contrast with shafii fiqh. Since the emergence and formation of Hanafi fiqh into this indepth analysis kind of madhah cam through ikhtalafat with shafii, I find quite a few hanafis biass toward hanafiyat. Yeah if the teacher is good enough to give due rspect to both sides of ikhtalaf.. it would be best.

I think I had mention it in one of the threads. The madrassah has about 21 or 23 Ustaads. I will look at the new listings of this year and let you know. But Faculty wise Alim has the highest.

1. Madrassa is very acomodating in this aspect for the foergners. So you can even call now and confirm your decision. you can email photocopy of your passport, photo id to alinaam@alinaam.org.za or fax it to (031)785-2786
2. Regarding phone here is a list of phone numbers which will help.
a. Darul Iftaa - 031-785-1239
b. Mufti Ebrahim Saheb (cell)- 084-299-8390
c. Maulana Zakariya Desai (cell) 084-478-6259
d. Mufti Kadwa Saheb - 031-785-1519 / fax 785-1091
e. Abuhajira :) (cell) - 079-544-4333 {preferably keep me your last hope :) as I can only so little}
جزاك الله ألف مرة يا أخي الكريم

May Allah reward for the effort you have put in to write all this valuable information about the madrassa. However, I would like to ask you few questions about the admission process. As a foreign single student residing in UKو how do I apply for the madrassa and what is the best procedure to become a student of Madrassa In'aamiyyah?

From the info you have provided for instance the e-mail no one responds to it and no answer to the phone numbers you have stated. Also you have mentioned to send your passport copy and photo ID as an email or fax mode. How can one fax photo ID. Please advice me on the quickest process to enrolling to the Madrassa.

وجزاك الله خيرا

abuhajira
16-11-2007, 12:24 PM

@ummati
1. The holidays at Madrassah change every year since the academic year is from Jan-Dec and holidays are according to Islamic .

@Al-Faqeer
1. The application proceedure basically all depends on the information you provide. The Administartion Office looks at your passport details and your previous academics (either secular or Islamic) and make a decision based on multiple factors. These factors could range from your country, to you place of residence, to you age and academic level. Basically the acceptance rate is more than 90% since Madrassah is very acomodating. Sometimes someone applying from India or Pak might be suggested to apply a better institute in their own country.
2. The emails that we receive are replied within 3 days on average. At the computer Desk, admission letters are the highest priority. Many a times the reason their email is not responded is when someone asks for admission for the 2008 in April of 2007. In these cases a reply is given to apply at a more appropriate time.
3. The phone numbers are all in working order. Please confirm the international dialing codes. The Darul Iftaa phone rings almost 2000 times a day.. so I know its working :D If you have to call, confirm that its a normal working hours (Mon - Sat / 6:30 AM - 4:30 PM ) and make Mufti Kadwa as your first preference.
4. You can photocopy your ID's and Passport details and fax them to the provided fax number. You can also scan these and email them. But please do not email in June and ask for a acceptance letter for January next year. We get enough paperwork to forget about this reminder within a couple of weeks. :)

I hope this helps.. please ask away if you need more info.

al-faqeer
18-11-2007, 02:43 PM
جزاك الله خيراَ ابا هاجرةعلي المعلومات

al-faqeer
02-01-2008, 05:20 PM
Aslamu Alaikum,

@AbuHajira
Alhamdulilah I got admission to become a student of Madrasah In'amiyah. As British Citizen how do I go about and apply for a student visa? What is the requirement? Insha'allah once I get my visa how do I get to Madrasah in'amiyah?
I will a wait for your response.

abuhajira
02-01-2008, 05:41 PM

To be honest I have no clue about visa proceedures.. I came here from canada.. Phone the South African Embassy and get hold of the visa form. You have to apply for the student permit. You will need to show medical coverage which is their requirement and you will also have to show monerary funds..

If anyone has applied from UK please help out here..

Muhammad Qadir
23-01-2008, 07:42 PM
Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh brother abuhajira,

I am interested in finding out more about the madrasah and would appreciate it if you could give me your e-mail address (if you use MSN that would be preferable). I did try and PM you however for whatever reason I can't (maybe my account didn't validate properly, I don't know) therefore I will leave my address here for you mehmet_k1990@yahoo.co.uk (It's a yahoo account, but used on MSN).

If you have time inshaAllah get back to me :)

May Allah reward you brother

N-ZA
26-01-2008, 01:28 AM
ES SALAMALAYKUM wr wb

i heard bevor that there is no mobile phone allowed! so how will i contact ma famely ? or woudnt i hear about them until i will be home in ma vecation?

jazake allahu chayran

SeekerOfKnowledge
26-01-2008, 01:36 AM
ES SALAMALAYKUM wr wb

i heard bevor that there is no mobile phone allowed! so how will i contact ma famely ? or woudnt i hear about them until i will be home in ma vecation?

jazake allahu chayran

Wa Alaykum Assalam,

Yes it is true that cell phones are not allowed in Madressa Ina'amiyyah. They do have payphones which can receive calls. You can give the number of the payphone to your parents and tell them to call you on a certain time. Most of the students keep contact with their family in this manner.

abuhajira
26-01-2008, 09:09 AM
Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh brother abuhajira,

I am interested in finding out more about the madrasah and would appreciate it if you could give me your e-mail address (if you use MSN that would be preferable). I did try and PM you however for whatever reason I can't (maybe my account didn't validate properly, I don't know) therefore I will leave my address here for you mehmet_k1990@yahoo.co.uk (It's a yahoo account, but used on MSN).

If you have time inshaAllah get back to me :)

May Allah reward you brother

:salam: br.

You may ask the questions here so that the information can help others beside you as well.. That was the intention in opening the thread..

PM doesnt work on SF.. so I will urge you to use this thread inshAllah

N-ZA
26-01-2008, 01:42 PM
jazake allahu chayran for ur quick answer brother SeekerOfKnowledge

N-ZA
27-01-2008, 01:05 AM
Es salamalaykum

when i arrived in south africa how will i find the madrassah do i have to drive with a taxi or bus ??

SeekerOfKnowledge
27-01-2008, 01:47 PM
Es salamalaykum

when i arrived in south africa how will i find the madrassah do i have to drive with a taxi or bus ??

Assalamu 'Alaykum,

The Madressa will make arrangements to pick you up from the Durban Airport. You will have to give the madressa the flight detials.

muhammad_alqadiri
11-02-2008, 08:31 AM
:salam: akhi Abu Hajira and all students of knowledge in the various madaris around the world.

I must admit that some of the most humble, courteous, and knowledgeable brothers that I've met have come out of various darul uloom institutions.

My simple question is: If one is already competent and knowledgeable in the 'Arabic language (standard/classical/colloquial) would that student have to learn Urdu to study at a darul Uloom institution like madrassah In'aamiya?

I also have a less important question. Don't most people in South Africa speak English or Afrikaans? Could it be that one of the factors behind Urdu being taught is related to preservation of the language and culture of the community?

I had more to say, but :insh: I think it can be posted as a related topic in a different thread.

mospike
11-02-2008, 09:06 AM
The main reason for learning urdu is because of the Dars e Nizami syllabus adopted by most of the ulooms in South Africa. And there is a belief amongst the Ulama fraternity that knowing urdu allows one to benefit from a wider variety of Islamic masterpieces written in the language by the Akaabir and present day Giants....

abuhajira
11-02-2008, 09:45 AM
:salam: akhi Abu Hajira and all students of knowledge in the various madaris around the world.

I must admit that some of the most humble, courteous, and knowledgeable brothers that I've met have come out of various darul uloom institutions.

My simple question is: If one is already competent and knowledgeable in the 'Arabic language (standard/classical/colloquial) would that student have to learn Urdu to study at a darul Uloom institution like madrassah In'aamiya?

I also have a less important question. Don't most people in South Africa speak English or Afrikaans? Could it be that one of the factors behind Urdu being taught is related to preservation of the language and culture of the community?

I had more to say, but :insh: I think it can be posted as a related topic in a different thread.

1. Classes are taught in english in our madrassah and Urdu is only taught as a language.
2. If someone knows Arabic then it is liked if he learns urdu but it is not a requirement.
3. One of the primary reason for teaching urdu is to enhance a students ability to utilize the enormous amount of knowledge already preserved in this language.

N-ZA
23-04-2008, 11:28 PM
Es selamun aleykum wr wb,

1. I've got my VISUM for the madrasa In'aamiyah and have already got a ticket. I've sent an eMail to the madrasa, what I should do next, but they did not respond.

2. I would like to know, what kind of things I have to bring with me the first time. I.Ex. Clothes etc.

3. Is it cheaper to buy my Jalabiya here or there? How are the prices for Sunna-Clothes in the Madrasah?

Jasakahumullahu chayran

abuhajira
24-04-2008, 06:50 AM

1. MashAllah.. glad to hear that your VISA is sorted out .. InshAllah will see you here..

2. Brrrraaainss : ) . No, jokes aside.. I dont think you need to bring anything beyond your your basic necessities. If you wish to have basic stationary.. then bring that.. but you will get all the things here inshAllah.

3. Yes, this is a good question. The facility as I see now.. is not that awsome. Intead the madrassah itself doesnt even sell clothings. So you may bring 2 jubbas or kurtas etc from there.. you may bring your normal sunnah wear which you wear at home. just make sure you have warm set as well as summer set. ...if it is easily available. Otherwise they can be purchased here but not readily. Also its getting cold now.. so carry warm clothing etc. If you choose specific sleepers, then bring those as well as you will only find basic aparel here .. for specific gear you will have to go to neighbouring city.

N-ZA
24-04-2008, 02:27 PM
salamalaykum

1. can u give me a number from the madrassah which i can call because i tried to call the number on the acceptence letter but i can't reach anybody!

2. I need to have the exact adress of the madrasah(street,number,locality). The embassy told me that Mr. Dessai has to subscribe the paper where the adress of the madrasah is on. (I would like you to help me to get this paper, please. Could you send it via eMail please? (masternza[at]hotmail.com))

jazake allahu chayran

abuhajira
24-04-2008, 03:39 PM

please explain in full what this paper is. So far we havent had this problem with any of the student. The actual address is

96 Bishop St.
Camperdown

-
Mailing address

P.O.Box 29
Camperdown, KZN

The phone number for the Admin office is (031)-785-1519 and you will talk to Mufti Muhammad Kadwa there.

As for Darul Iftaa.. the phone numbers are all operational.. make sure you have the time right. 7:00 AM - 11:00 AM and 1:45 PM - 4:00 PM daily.. Admin office is Mon-Th. and closed on Fri -Sun.

Darul Iftaa is open Mon-Sat.

N-ZA
24-04-2008, 05:55 PM
So... concerning the sheet: You could print

96 Bishop St.
Camperdown

Mailing address:
P.O.Box 29
Camperdown, KZN

on an sheet and let Mr Dessai subscribe it. Than you can send it to me via eMail, please. I think that would do it.

The Embassy also said that under this number: (031)-785-1519 they could not reach anybody. Whats wrong in that? I don't know. But jsakallahu chayran for the first time. I will wait for your respond inschallah.

Wassalamu 'aleykum.

abuhajira
24-04-2008, 06:03 PM

perhaps they are calling in wrong timings..

regarding the subscribe thing.. send an email with this request to alinaam@alinaam.org.za and I will get it forwarded to Mufti Kadwa. Only he can do it.

Mufti Desai has nothing to do with admission/visa problems.

SeekerOfGuidance
27-04-2008, 04:47 PM
:salam: Brother Abu Hajira,

I'm really interested in how your Madrasa is delivering the Dars Nizami through the English/Arabic medium, and I'd be extremely grateful if you can answer some questions. I've sent an email to the address which you posted, and I hope you can find some time to answer those queries and give some advice regarding yours and your teachers' experiences in the Madrasah.

:jazak:

naav
27-04-2008, 08:47 PM

Many thanks, sidi, for taking the time out to post this extremely helpful thread.

1. Following on from the previous post, could I please ask:

(a) Are students taught how to speak and read urdu if they don't know it?

(b) From the previous posts, as far as I understand the entire course is taught in english so:

(i) Are all the teachers fluent in english and native english-speakers?

(ii) If the course is in english then where and when is urdu used?

2. I've read about the problem of violent crime in south africa. And even how it has affected a madrasah and its students.

(a) Is there security in the madrasah 24 hours e.g. guards, cameras?

(b) Is it dangerous or have you encountered or heard of any problems outside of the madrasah?

abuhajira
27-04-2008, 09:37 PM

Many thanks, sidi, for taking the time out to post this extremely helpful thread.

Jazak Allah.. make dua that Allah accepts..inshAllah

(a) Are students taught how to speak and read urdu if they don't know it?

Students are taught urdu as a language. Which mean by the third year they can read and write basic urdu. Among the dedicated students there are those who excel and can speak urdu as well as read books as well. However the focus is not too much on urdu, thus you do not see as much result.

(b) From the previous posts, as far as I understand the entire course is taught in english so:

(i) Are all the teachers fluent in english and native english-speakers?

All Teachers except a couple are english speaking. their mother tongue is english (although they may be gujrati/urdu/etc in their background).

(ii) If the course is in english then where and when is urdu used?

It is not super essential, but it does help in understanding shuruhaat, immense amount of books by Akabir and occasional urdu lessons by out of town shuyukh.

Sheikh ul Hadith Saheb is fluent in english, but at times also talks urdu. mashAllah his urdu is very literary.

2. I've read about the problem of violent crime in south africa. And even how it has affected a madrasah and its students.

(a) Is there security in the madrasah 24 hours e.g. guards, cameras?

There are 24 hours guards in our madrassah. We havent had any noteworthy incident with regards to security. Students are not allowed to carry any firearm or weapons. Some teachers do carry defense weapons. But over all it is well secured. No cameras yet...

(b) Is it dangerous or have you encountered or heard of any problems outside of the madrasah?

Yes you do hear one or two stories here and there.. and yes the general crime is high.. but with proper precautions most of it is avoidable. For example, one doesnt engage in useless talks on the roadside.. or stop to give lifts unless you know the person. etc

naav
28-04-2008, 07:35 PM

Thanks sidi. :)

Abu Asma
29-04-2008, 06:18 PM
As salaamu alaykum sidi Abu Hajira,

Do you mind if I ask how you support yourself and family while you attend Madrasah?

I thinking of coming to check the various Madrasah in South Africa, but I need ideas on how I could support my family( who I would bring of course if we decieded to make the move) while there.
I work for a company, owned by muslim brothers, that refurbish then resales laptops; do you think there is a market for shipping laptops to South Africa for re-sale?
Any Ideas would be appreciated.
wa salam,
Abu Asma

Abu Asma
01-05-2008, 06:41 PM
As salaamu alaykum Bro. Abu Hajira

abuhajira
01-05-2008, 09:12 PM

muaaf ..too much work going on : )

I think I have mentioned in one of the previous threads that there is practically no job availablity for couples etc. the only help you will get is in your madrassah related fees etc. the remaining you will have to get some sponsor for your self. As a family you need to get a sponsor for approx R4000-R5000 per month. that will get you baseline living..

it is better to look for some sponsor from western countries.. in hardship mufti saheb and all will help.. but that is not a permanent solution.

N-ZA
02-05-2008, 12:54 AM
Es selamun 'aleskum,

1. Inschallah, when everythings goes right, I will arrive soon. And when I'm there, I mean I have missed a lot. Won't it be hard to get into the stuff?

2. I would also ask how it would work, when somebody wanted to come with his wife?!

True Life
02-05-2008, 01:10 AM

I have a question since brother N-ZA is from the Shafi' Madhab, does Madrassah In'aamiya even teach Shafi' fiqh?

abuhajira
02-05-2008, 05:45 AM

The madrassah does NOT teach Shafii fiqh in its entirety. However We do teach the basic fiqh and other senior students ( shafii ) help in getting the basis in usool fiqh. But as madrassah it is primerily hanafi fiqh. Aside from fiqh everything else is same.

N-ZA, I will answer your question later inshAllah.. am late for Madrassah at moment.

Abu Asma
02-05-2008, 02:41 PM
As salaamu alaykum Bro Abu Hajira

As a family you need to get a sponsor for approx R4000-R5000 per month. that will get you baseline living..

it is better to look for some sponsor from western countries

Do you know anywhere to apply for such a sponsor?
I have enough money for the first year and maybe if I prove myself a capable student I could get sponsorship; but I need to know from where.
My locality would most likely not help.

How much is R4000-R5000 in US dollars?
wa salam

abuhajira
03-05-2008, 08:17 PM
As salaamu alaykum Bro Abu Hajira

Do you know anywhere to apply for such a sponsor?
I have enough money for the first year and maybe if I prove myself a capable student I could get sponsorship; but I need to know from where.
My locality would most likely not help.

How much is R4000-R5000 in US dollars?
wa salam

You are asking some tough questions : ). The reason i am saying this is that the madrassah was not establish to cater for married students. Unlike bigger madaris like Azadville, Madrassah Inaamiyyah does not provide acomodations.

An average 2 bed house or a farm house would come at a rent of about R2500 - 3200.. so there goes your half of the sponsorship. And iif that is not the problematic enough.. the probability of finding a house/place in camperdown is about 1 in 10,000 : )..

This is why I mentioned in my earlier posts.. that it is an immense mujahada for the married students..

Aside from this getting a sponsor is equally hard. The expenses which I mentioned .. an approx of about whooping US$700 / month is for your living.. it does not include your fee etc. which can be exempted because of your financial stiuation.

Abu Asma
03-05-2008, 09:43 PM
As Salaamu Alaykum,

Is relatively easy to find accommodation's for a family around Azadsville or Zakariya? Do you recommend families trying for one of those bigger Madrasah?

wa salam

abuhajira
04-05-2008, 08:16 AM

I think Mufti Soofie Saheb can answer better in regards to azadville and zakariyyah

N-ZA
10-05-2008, 10:54 PM
SALAMALAYKUM WR WB

I HAVE GOT MA FLIGHT DETAILS!

where should i sent it now? or can i tell you?

abuhajira
11-05-2008, 09:21 AM

send me an email ( abuhajira at gmail dot com ) or at Madrassah's email --- alinaam @ alinaam . org . za

N-ZA
16-05-2008, 12:12 AM
SALAMALAYKUM WR WB

i send an email because of ma flighdetails but i dont get an answer !
maybe they forgett it or something else i need an answer because i will fly on 18th of may !!

jazake allahu chayran brother

abuhajira
16-05-2008, 06:35 AM

Oh sorry bro.. The Madrassah is currently going hectic : ) because of the Shariah Compliant Programme. No worries.. I have personally talked to Mufti M. Kadwa at the office. He will arrange someon to pick you up from the airport. You take your trip with ease inshAllah.

N-ZA
01-07-2008, 01:29 PM
AS-salamu 3alaykum,

I' got two questions I would like to have answered inschallah.

1. How does the schedule look like? I mean, how many hours does a student has to stay at course each day?

2. Which title does a student get by finishing the madrasa after 6 years?

abuhajira
01-07-2008, 01:49 PM
AS-salamu 3alaykum,

I' got two questions I would like to have answered inschallah.

1. How does the schedule look like? I mean, how many hours does a student has to stay at course each day?

Please see the following for The answer .. it is more of a general idea...

http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=234899&postcount=51

2. Which title does a student get by finishing the madrasa after 6 years?

The 6 year course is an Alim course, you will become Maulana after its completion.

True Life
01-07-2008, 02:04 PM

Dear respected brother Abu Hajira,
the brother N-ZA is from my town and has already arrived at the Madrassa in Camperdown.
Did you meet him? Please take care of him, he was facing already some trouble.
Maybe something which was not that big, but he is not used to.

abuhajira
01-07-2008, 02:09 PM

which is why I wan wondering .. howcome he posted here ..

I did meet Nezar.. in fact I just gave my oral exams in front of him ...

I am all up for his help.. however he has to come and talk to me.. I do meet him here and there.. When I am at madrassah, normally its all about work.. so I dont spend much extra time sitting..

True Life
01-07-2008, 03:06 PM

lol you have to give oral exams infront of fellow students? Funny...

You got my private message? Just need to know because I never get replies to my PMs by anyone. lol

mosa707
03-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Assalamu alaikum brother abu hajira,

One of my friend is interested in studying in inaamiya. He has a few question

1) when is the next alim intake?

2) What is the total cost for one year?

3) Can you also pass me the email address of the admission division?

Jazakallah Khair

abuhajira
03-08-2008, 05:18 PM
Assalamu alaikum brother abu hajira,

One of my friend is interested in studying in inaamiya. He has a few question

1) when is the next alim intake?

I am working on compiling the information that is in this whole thread as a brochure.. make dua it is ready soon..

The next class beginning will be January 7, to the best of my knowledge.

2) What is the total cost for one year?

It is R1000 / month i.e R12,000 per year. = $1650 for the whole year.

3) Can you also pass me the email address of the admission division?

same: alinaam@alinaam.org.za

mosa707
04-08-2008, 03:26 PM

I am working on compiling the information that is in this whole thread as a brochure.. make dua it is ready soon..

The next class beginning will be January 7, to the best of my knowledge.

It is R1000 / month i.e R12,000 per year. = $1650 for the whole year.

same: alinaam@alinaam.org.za

Wa alaikumus salam warahmatullah

Jazakallah Khair and may Allah make it easy for you ameen

wassalam

Al-Faruqi
29-08-2008, 10:27 AM

Very helpful thread indeed, may Allah reward you abundantly for sharing your experiences dear brother abuhajira!

Just a short question, this madrasah is Deobandi affiliated right?

Barak Allah fikum

Ibn_Harith
23-09-2008, 11:50 PM

Barak Allah fikum

Wa aliakum assalam,
Yes, of course.

abuhajira
03-10-2008, 04:46 AM

Very helpful thread indeed, may Allah reward you abundantly for sharing your experiences dear brother abuhajira!

Barak Allah fikum

Mufti E. Desai Saheb runs the Darul Iftaa of the Madrassah.. here is his affiliation/background.. just to give an idea.

TASAWWUF:
Hazrat Mufti Ebrahim Desai (damat barakatuhum) has the honor of being the khalifah of his Shaykh Mufti Mahmood-ul-Hasan Gangohi (rahmatullah alahyi), the late grand mufti of India & the most senior khalifa of Hazrat Shaykh Maulana Zakariya Kandhalwi (rahmatullah alahi). As part of his training in Tasawwuf, Mufti Saab (db) spent time in the Khanqah of Dabhel where he used to lead Qiyaam-ul-Layl during the last ten nights of Ramadan.

ALIM & IFTA COURSE:
As well as being a Hafiz of the Quran, Mufti Ebrahim Desai (db) has studied sacred Islamic knowledge in Dabhel for nine years: commencing from the Arabic Language and comprising Usool-e-Fiqh, Hanafi Fiqh, Logic, Usool-e-Hadith, Hadith, Usool-e-Tafseer, Tafseer. Having completed the Dars-e-Nizamiyyah he then studied the principles of issuing Fatwas for two years in Dabhel under Mufti Ahmad Khanpuri Saheb, a renowned and leading Scholar in India, and another year under the grand Mufti of India, Mufti Mahmoodul Hasan Saheb (RA) (compiler of Fataawa Mahmoodiya).

http://daralmahmood.org/muftisaab.html

Rasheed786
03-10-2008, 07:23 PM

Mufti E. Desai Saheb runs the Darul Iftaa of the Madrassah.. here is his affiliation/background.. just to give an idea.

http://daralmahmood.org/muftisaab.html

Asalamualaikum

Does Mufti Ebrahim Desai saheb have permission of hadeeth and other kitaabs from any Ulama?

abuhajira
03-10-2008, 11:41 PM

Mufti Saheb teaches Mishkaat Shareef, Tirmidhi Shareef and Bukhari Shareef at the madrassah. No one would accept his scholarship in Deobandi Madaris Circles if he had not received Ijaza in Hadith.

I have not personally asked him to show me his sanad.. if thats what you mean..by that token I have not seen that for any sheikh except one of Imaam's back in Canada..

goodle
22-10-2008, 04:32 PM
salam walaikum
i still didnt get my visa so i think im gonna come after december break.does any1 know the exact date madressa starts after december break?

abuhajira
23-10-2008, 11:02 AM
nothing in specific. It is a bit cold so get some jersey or sweaters. Ther is no cloth place in cmpus so get some clothes for sure. Bring some dollars with u so they will last u for pocket money.
u will get all your books from here so dont wory about that...
Cant think of anything else..if i do i wiill post

sakib
02-11-2008, 10:53 PM
i asked this question on another thread but didnt get the answer i was looking for so ill ask here

how do i apply for this madrassa...i sent an email to them yesterday saying :

can you be inform me how an international student from australia would be able to enroll in the madrassa. im interested in the full time alim course and would like to also know how to get a visa.

what are the costs involved. and after i get to south africa how do i travel to ur madrassa?

please infrom me how to successfully admitted to the alim course by the beginning of 2009, or earlier if possible. if i need to contact you by phone i can do that as well.

if anyone from the madrassa is on this forum....i wud be grateful if they can answer the question for me....also, how does madrasah inaamiyah compare to others like newcatle and zakariiya

thanx

Abdul Lateef
03-11-2008, 01:12 AM
Make sure you do Istikhara first.

If you're going to commit to spending 6 years there, it makes sense to go to S. Africa on holiday first and visit all the places you're interested in to see how they are.

BTW: Newcastle teaches Shaafi fiqh whereas Azaadville and Zakariyya teach Hanafi fiqh.

sakib
03-11-2008, 06:29 AM
thanx for the advice, abdul lateef

the reason i mentioned darul uloom inamiyyah is coz ive read their website and ive read askimam.org and i like the answers. i dont noe the adress or the contact info or the email adress for zakariiya and azadville. if i did, then i would have checked their madrasa out. i sent 2 emails to newcastle but they were unanswered but thats ok coz now i noe that they dont teach hanafi fiqh anyway.

how to i apply for any of the madrassas mentioned. to i have to phone them? fill out an application? email them? show them any documents?

i have no idea.............................................. ..............

i thought i would get help from this forum but so far i havent got much help

abuhajira
03-11-2008, 09:15 AM
i asked this question on another thread but didnt get the answer i was looking for so ill ask here

how do i apply for this madrassa...i sent an email to them yesterday saying :

can you be inform me how an international student from australia would be able to enroll in the madrassa. im interested in the full time alim course and would like to also know how to get a visa.

what are the costs involved. and after i get to south africa how do i travel to ur madrassa?

please infrom me how to successfully admitted to the alim course by the beginning of 2009, or earlier if possible. if i need to contact you by phone i can do that as well.

if anyone from the madrassa is on this forum....i wud be grateful if they can answer the question for me....also, how does madrasah inaamiyah compare to others like newcatle and zakariiya

thanx

Brother, if you read this whole thread in entirety, most of the questions have been answered with regards to proceedures.

Slight updates will be there with regards to monetary issues.

Once you have done so, please let me know if you still have any question.

abuhajira
03-11-2008, 09:20 AM
Make sure you do Istikhara first.

My advice is that you try one of the larger more established Darul Ulooms like Azaadville.

Newcastle teaches Shaafi fiqh whereas Azaadville and Zakariyya teach Hanafi fiqh.

Yes indeed Azadvill and Zakariya are both exquisite madaris. However, pros and cons run on both ways. The teaching tarz and the mode in Inaamiyah is different.

Alhamdulillah since the total number of students is low.. Teacher Student ratio is much better.. and also the percentage of foreign student is high.

Again advice is good to consider everything before embarking..but once you make a decision, then stick to it lest there is a dire need. I have seen many who simply wish to leave madrassah to another thinking it will be a better for their tarz of learning.. whereas, one has to mold oneself to the madrassah to take the most out of it.

abuhajira
03-11-2008, 09:25 AM
thanx for the advice, abdul lateef

the reason i mentioned darul uloom inamiyyah is coz ive read their website and ive read askimam.org and i like the answers. i dont noe the adress or the contact info or the email adress for zakariiya and azadville. if i did, then i would have checked their madrasa out. i sent 2 emails to newcastle but they were unanswered but thats ok coz now i noe that they dont teach hanafi fiqh anyway.

how to i apply for any of the madrassas mentioned. to i have to phone them? fill out an application? email them? show them any documents?

i have no idea.............................................. ..............

i thought i would get help from this forum but so far i havent got much help

Your email is on Mufti Saheb's desk for perusal. InshAllah from there it will go to the Admin office of Mufti M. Kadwa who is Administrator for the Madrassah. He will then reply you regarding what is needed.

Please note that your email came of Saturday, and Madrassah offices are closed Sat - Sun. Thus the delay

In the mean time read through this long yet informative thread. By then you should receive a reply from the Admin Office. Do not worry. the admissions are a breeze... its the adaptation and with the norms to study which will require your efforts.

shaimaa
03-11-2008, 07:40 PM
Assalamualaikum,

I posted a thread about children's education however I wanted to ask you something here inshaAllah.

My children are both very young, a boy and girl. What path can I take now or what is suitable in South Africa and/or Mauritania to place them in the path of knowledge?

JazakAllah khair.

sakib
04-11-2008, 07:48 AM
lol abu hajira how do u noe wat my email adress is...did u see my actual email on that mufti sahabs account, how did u get access to his email account anyway?

should i resend the email so that it actually gets there....

are they going to tell me to send a copy of my passport and visa?

I HOPE I DONT HAVE TO SHOW MY SCHOOL REPORT COZ I FAILED SCHOOL BADLY

but on the other hand im making good progress with my islamic education mashaAllah...i used to be good at secular education...i should show my old school reports....i shud get a letter of recommendation from my respected islamic teacher to convince your madrassa people more easily

i hope i get a detailed answer from ur admin person

goodle
17-11-2008, 07:55 PM
salam wa laikum when does the break in december finish?

goodle
17-11-2008, 07:56 PM
salamwalaikum
when does the december break finish?

abuhajira
17-11-2008, 07:59 PM

the december break starts 25th Dec I think and will finish on 11 Jan 2009

goodle
01-01-2009, 08:19 PM
inshallah i am comming on the 16th of january to study and i was just wondering what i should bring with me?
pellows, blankets etc
i was also wondering if there is a uniform in the madressa and how much money should i bring if im gonna stay till august for pocket expenses

abuhajira
02-01-2009, 03:44 AM

All that information is within these posts. Please do look through them.

a. you dont really need to bring anything..unless you dont mind hauling a blanket etc with you on a long journey. You can carry money to buy those in s.africa.

b. uniform is any jubbah or kurtah (preferably white but any color is fine), topi, izaar above the ankles, but no shorts of jeans.

c. Perhaps around 25 USD per month.

goodle
04-01-2009, 07:33 PM
assalamualaikum i just have a few more questions.fist of all i just want to confrim the first day of madressa becasue i called and they said december 19 and on the thread it says 11,another thing is that im doing ILC which is a canadian program to finish high school over seas and i need to have around 1hour of computer time week so will the madressa allow me to do it? and last but not least have they completed this years school calendar.if they have do you know how many holidays we will have till ramadan from now?
Jazakullah

abuhajira
05-01-2009, 11:26 AM

The first day of the madrassah changes every year. This year I believe it is 19th because of the delay in the exams etc.

You will have to get a permission from a) Muhtamim Saheb b) Maulana Haroon Dhooma Saheb and c) Mufti Ebrahim Desai to get these kinds of privellages. I would suggest you correspond with Mufti Ebrahim Desai saheb before hand so you can know where you stand.

Yes they should have this years callendar. I am not in S.Africa right now. Email them and ask them that you need the new callendar for the year. InshAllah they should be able to help. To help process it better make it attention to : Maulana Haroon Dhooma Saheb.

You should find out the tentative dates of holidays in that callendar inshAllah

Al-Faruqi
13-01-2009, 06:29 PM

:insh: a knowledgeable brother can answer this:
- Do you need something like an International Baccalaureate (or similar) to be allowed to study at Madrasah In'aamiya?

- What are the general requirements to study there?

- Furthermore, is it now possible to have a wife/family there or should I go to another madrasah in this case?

:jazak: for answering :insh:.

Abu Shayba
14-01-2009, 03:38 PM
The other course that is offered is specialization in hadith. Ml. Muhammad Abbasomar, who is a student of Shaykh Muhammad Awwama, is the head of this course. I don't have much information about the curriculum of this course. It would be best to contact the Madrasah directly for more information.

This is from another thread. bro Abu Hajira can u provide some details of this course, what is studied, for how long, and what skills can the student expect to acquire through this course.

And does anyone know of similar courses in other madrassas.

Thanks

abuhajira
14-01-2009, 10:53 PM

:insh: a knowledgeable brother can answer this:
- Do you need something like an International Baccalaureate (or similar) to be allowed to study at Madrasah In'aamiya?

- What are the general requirements to study there?

- Furthermore, is it now possible to have a wife/family there or should I go to another madrasah in this case?

:jazak: for answering :insh:.

1. You do not need a bachelors or baccalaueate , high school for the Alim Course. You need to have done some secular education like 6th grade pr 7 grade etc.

2. General requirements have been discussed extensively in this thread. please read it in entirety and then you may ask further question.

3. Frankly, There is no facility for women studies. you may teach your wife whatever you study in madrassah... as I did for about 3 years. but if you want to do so under tutelage of proper madrassah i would suggest looking at zakariya or azad ville where you can find a side madrasah for women too.

abuhajira
14-01-2009, 10:55 PM
This is from another thread. bro Abu Hajira can u provide some details of this course, what is studied, for how long, and what skills can the student expect to acquire through this course.

And does anyone know of similar courses in other madrassas.

Thanks

The course is not in full motion. If anyone goes for this course.. it would be best to contact maulana mohammad directly. If that be the case then let me know I will get his permission to give out his email ..solely for this purpose.

Abu Shayba
15-01-2009, 10:31 AM

The course is not in full motion. If anyone goes for this course.. it would be best to contact maulana mohammad directly. If that be the case then let me know I will get his permission to give out his email ..solely for this purpose.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm a long way off from such a course, so I'd rather not contact him directly. I just wanted some background info. to compare with other such courses, if there are any.

Al-Faruqi
15-01-2009, 12:25 PM

1. You do not need a bachelors or baccalaueate , high school for the Alim Course. You need to have done some secular education like 6th grade pr 7 grade etc.

2. General requirements have been discussed extensively in this thread. please read it in entirety and then you may ask further question.

3. Frankly, There is no facility for women studies. you may teach your wife whatever you study in madrassah... as I did for about 3 years. but if you want to do so under tutelage of proper madrassah i would suggest looking at zakariya or azad ville where you can find a side madrasah for women too.

:jazak: for your reply.
Concerning 3, is teaching one's wife oneself helpfull for the own process of learning/understanding or does it take much time which should be maybe spend in another way? (I read/heard that you don't understand something fully until you can explain it to others.)

abuhajira
15-01-2009, 01:32 PM

hehe I will be bombarded here on this point..

To answer your question.. YES It helps a lot. Especially when you have to teach it to a girl, and that too your wife. It will take you extra time to explain it fully and believe me it beats the usual Takrar method. You can take your studies to a later time in the evening.

But personally, I would not suggest it for the faint of heart. haha.. no really, it is one thing to do it once in a while.. but another thing to do it day in day out.

Al-Faruqi
15-01-2009, 10:07 PM

hehe I will be bombarded here on this point..

To answer your question.. YES It helps a lot. Especially when you have to teach it to a girl, and that too your wife. It will take you extra time to explain it fully and believe me it beats the usual Takrar method. You can take your studies to a later time in the evening.

But personally, I would not suggest it for the faint of heart. haha.. no really, it is one thing to do it once in a while.. but another thing to do it day in day out.

:jazak: for your reply brother.
What do you mean by "I would not suggest it for the faint of heart", sorry my English seems to be bad this evening.

Is there any plan at the madrasah to make it possible for wifes to also study in future?

Another question, are there other DB-affiliated/SA madaris which teach in English? (Because I don't talk Urdu)

Would you personally (out of your experiences) advise someone with wife to go to Al-Inaam or should he look for other alternatives?

abuhajira
15-01-2009, 10:19 PM

What I meant was that such an approach doesn not have any supervision, so it requires a lot of mujahada (sacrifice and struggle) from the student.

Madrassah doesnt have a plan as yet..as far as I know.

Our Madrassah does teaches everything in english medium and urdu is taught only as a subject.

I would advise anyone who has a true yearning to go to in'aamiyyah without doubt. After all I came with the same motive as well with my wife. So there is nothing impossible in it. It is just a lot of variables which may come to play in your stay here..including living styles and standards with little to no option of earning. However at the same time I would suggest madaris like Azadville more because there it may be more suitable to stay with the family and teach the family too.

Finally, not knowing urdu is not much of a hinderance in learning. You will be taught urdu in early years and I have seen enough people (non-urdu) who have learnt good ability in urdu. If you are persistant, inshAllah it will be rewarding.

Abu Shayba
15-01-2009, 11:51 PM
Our Madrassah does teaches everything in english medium and urdu is taught only as a subject.

does that include dawra hadith.

And does the madrassa allow students to do mutafarriqat.

thanks

abuhajira
16-01-2009, 12:07 AM

Yes most of the daurah is in english.. only a couple of classes are in urdu. Currently the ones being taught by Mufti Abdul Jaleel Saheb db. are in urdu.

I do not understand what you mean by mutafarriqat..could you elaborate..jzk

Abu Shayba
16-01-2009, 12:13 AM
I do not understand what you mean by mutafarriqat..could you elaborate..jzk

Mutafarriqat means to study various books from different years. So your not studying in 5th or 6th year but specific books from different years.

bilalrafeek
16-01-2009, 07:51 PM
slmz abuhajira.. remember me??

Abu Shayba
16-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Is there anyone currently doing mutafarriqat at the moment?

Abu Shayba
16-01-2009, 10:06 PM
DISCOURSE 1: by Mufti Ebrahim Desai

Mufti Saheb discussed the concept of Heela (stratagems) in Shariah. Ulama experience difficulty in many Masaa’il like zakaat, nikah, talaaq etc. Mufti Saheb illustrated 10 such examples. For reference purposes, copies of the presentation are available from the Darul Ifta. You may also refer to the recording. This topic will continue this week and the issue of heela will be examined from Quraan and Hadith.

Bro Abu Hajira found this on the madrassa in'amiyya website; can u get me a copy of this presentation please.
thanks.

Khaalid
25-01-2009, 05:02 PM
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/564/s1055564ox6.jpg
http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/7943/s1055587ll5.jpg
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/1108/s1055588iq1.jpg
http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/7378/s1055589iq6.jpg
Some Photos of the new classrooms coming up:)

naav
16-02-2009, 03:03 PM
:salam: :)

What is the age limit for those who wish to reside/board inside In'aamiya?

abuhajira
16-02-2009, 04:24 PM

The minimum age requirement is 15 and there is NO restriction for maximum age

naav
16-02-2009, 07:22 PM

Sorry, what is the maximum age-limit for those wishing to board inside In'aamiya?

Thanks. :)

naav
20-02-2009, 08:43 PM

If possible, could someone kindly put up brief biographies or backgrounds of the teachers at Inaamiya, including those that run the Tajweed and Hifz programme.

:jazak: :)

cdy_800
23-04-2009, 03:09 AM
Salam Alaikum

Is it just me or can other people not see the pictures in this older post anymore?
http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=99871&postcount=26

abuhajira
23-04-2009, 08:53 AM

most probably those links are now outdated.

Here are some new pics of the madrassah. InshAllah I will upload more later on..

http://picasaweb.google.com/abuhajira/MadrasaInAamiyyahCamperdownPictures#

True Life
23-04-2009, 12:59 PM
most probably those links are now outdated.

Here are some new pics of the madrassah. InshAllah I will upload more later on..

http://picasaweb.google.com/abuhajira/MadrasaInAamiyyahCamperdownPictures#

:ws:Beautiful pictures. By the way how is N-ZA doing?

abulayl
23-04-2009, 01:52 PM
:salam: does whole field area belongs to madrassah? wow, i would not dare to go outside at night. *scared*

Al-Faruqi
27-04-2009, 03:14 AM

What is the difference between 2 years Mufti and 6 years Alim course?

Is the Mufti course just a shortened islamic study course or is it specialized for a certain task/domain?

hope1
27-04-2009, 03:24 AM

What is the difference between 2 years Mufti and 6 years Alim course?

Is the Mufti course just a shortened islamic study course or is it specialized for a certain task/domain?

Assalamu alaikum,
The 6 year 'alim course is basic training where you learn Arabic, tafseer, fiqh, the hadith kitaabs, usul al fiqh, etc. The 2 year mufti course is for bright students I guess, who are specially trained to give fatawa (answer questions, give verdicts, etc.). InshaAllah brother Abu Hajira can give more details. But from what I know they have to extensively read many books of fiqh and fatawa. They also learn how to rule on new and modern issues not explicitly dealt with in older fiqh books.
The course outline and books for the 'alim course and the mufti course are up on the al-inaam website I believe because I remember reading it.

sudoku
27-04-2009, 08:28 AM

Alim Course- link here (http://www.al-inaam.com/madrasah/alim_course_detailed.htm)

Mufti Course- link here (http://www.al-inaam.com/madrasah/iftaa_course_detailed.htm)

Alim course can be compared to having a Bachelors and Master in Islamic theology, while Mufti course can be compared to a PhD. You have to do Alim course to do Mufti course.

@ br streetwalker- The fields behind madrassa all have fencing around it, and they have guards 24/7 to keep outsiders out and insiders in, unless permission has been granted, like on the weekends.

mospike
27-04-2009, 10:49 AM
Recently i see that some of the Fatwa's say ' Mufti so and so... Correspondence student at the dar al ifta.. '

How does this correspondence Ifta course work?

abuhajira
27-04-2009, 11:00 AM
Recently i see that some of the Fatwa's say ' Mufti so and so... Correspondence student at the dar al ifta.. '

How does this correspondence Ifta course work?

The correspondence course is similar to the normal ifta course but with much less works. Which means there is much more efforts required and and mutal'a. You wont get to sit in the auspicious company of muftiyan here, so thats a big negative right there. All your answer will be personally checked by Mufti Saheb himself. He will guiide you where necessary. But I dont know if these correspondence courses are to provide the sanad after ward or just for mashq and practice.

Al-Faruqi
10-06-2009, 07:56 PM

Brother abuhajira, I have again some questions:

1) How much place is there for each students personal objects? Is there enough place to bring one's own books? (Lets say one or two 1m shelves?)

2) What about hygiene, is there a washroom (toilet, shower) for each dormitory or what?

3) Personally I'm really interested in joining madrasah, but I'm unsure if I'll be able to cope with this lifestyle as I never lived in such strong Islamic environment, so I think about coming for Hifz course only in the beginning and after these two years (or was it more?) when I feel able to continue I may want to do alim course. Question here is: What do you think about this idea? Is it a waste of time, should I better directly start alim course?

4) On al-inaam.com it says

1. Hifzul-Qurân - full-time students
2. Qirât - Hafs narrated
3. Qirât - Sab'ah and 'Asharah
What is meant by this? Is there a difference between Hifzul-Quran course and Qirat courses 2 and 3?

By the way what do you think about collecting and organizing the scattered information of this thread into a form of "guide"? I just did something in this direction to get a better overview, I may post that if you want.

abuhajira
10-06-2009, 09:16 PM

Brother abuhajira, I have again some questions:

good I am in a mood to answer hehe..

1) How much place is there for each students personal objects? Is there enough place to bring one's own books? (Lets say one or two 1m shelves?)

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/2118/dormsinglespace.jpg

I think this will give a much better understanding. However, some changes have been made since this picture. Madrassah has provided every student with a full bed. So instead of floor mattresses you have beds as well. But the space is some what same.

You may bring your own books and also make a shelf there. But the best would be to have you books in your locker. Remember, every kind of kids come to madrassah. Do not pre-issume it to be a Sufi Haven. You will indeed get some encounters where you would feal that the living is as normal as any other. However, it is you who will make your surrounding, and chose your company. Choose a good one and you will flourish.

2) What about hygiene, is there a washroom (toilet, shower) for each dormitory or what?

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/6620/twostoriesdorms.jpg

Here is an "under construction" picture of the two level dorms from last year. Now they are complete.. You saw the inside of the room. This is the outside. There are approx six rooms on each level. Every level has two washrooms. Every wash room has approx 3 toilets and 3 showers. and wudhu are for 3 people. Normally it is enough for students. There are other toilets elsewhere as well and also loads of wudhu facility. I will post another pic below of the main masjid wudhu facility.

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/1849/wudhumain.jpg

3) Personally I'm really interested in joining madrasah, but I'm unsure if I'll be able to cope with this lifestyle as I never lived in such strong Islamic environment, so I think about coming for Hifz course only in the beginning and after these two years (or was it more?) when I feel able to continue I may want to do alim course. Question here is: What do you think about this idea? Is it a waste of time, should I better directly start alim course?

I cant remember your age. Personally if you can handle it. go fo rthe hifz class first, and then decide for the alim course. perhaps tell me more about yourself. Can you read Quran fluently and have you memorized something so far. Have you been taking any classes... if so how much lesson (lines or pages).

4) On al-inaam.com it says

What is meant by this? Is there a difference between Hifzul-Quran course and Qirat courses 2 and 3?

The Qiraat course (both of them) are actually optional parts of the Alim course. So hifz course is completely seperate than the qiraat courses. You can decide on then when you come to 4th year Alim course.

By the way what do you think about collecting and organizing the scattered information of this thread into a form of "guide"? I just did something in this direction to get a better overview, I may post that if you want.

Believe me I have thought and though over it. I had made a PDF firt and then posted all that information here. However it does need proper compilation again. I have massive time constraints..If you can do it.. it will be a great effort. rewards from Allah and a grand sadaqa jaariya. I will give it over to the authorities and then they can perhaps make a full prospectus out of it.

din_il_islam27
10-06-2009, 11:25 PM
AsalaamuAlaykum.. inshAllah my husband and i are planning on comming in about a year or two years from now.. he prefers to go to the madrassa in camperdown and i would like to study as well ..since there's no place for women at the madrassa i was wondering if i would be able to do the same as what the other brother had talked about in his previous threads about teaching his wife himself after comming back from class..inshAllah i think that that's a really good idea and inshAllah if theres a thread already written with all the information of renting an area near the madrassa and how the brothers would teach their wives and living costs per year for the two.. it would be a huge help if somone can reffer me to it inshAllah. jazakullahu khair .

Al-Faruqi
11-06-2009, 03:02 AM

:jazak: for your fast reply.

I do not posses hundreds of books, so that place seems enough for me insha Allah.
There are some furnitures right and left of the beds, are these the students lockers? Does every student get an own locker with a key and how big are these lockers usually? As I currently still live with my (non-Muslim) parent, coming to Madrasah Ina'amiyah would mean for me that it'll become my real home. I won't leave my belongings with my parents, but it's not much I own anyways, so this will not be a problem insha Allah.

I'm slowly approaching my twenties. I would say that I read Quran in a rather fluent way. But fluent doesn't mean for me to read as fast as when I read something by heart, it's a bit slower and sometimes I have to restart reading an ayat to fix pronunciation. I've not memorized anything beside the basics one needs for salat and some little parts of some surahs here and there. No I've not been taking any classes (that's nearly impossible in Germany).

I already collected the relevant information from this thread, would you allow me to reformulate phrases (questions and answers) to make them more readable/understandable? Shall I send it to the sunniforum email address before posting it here?

Another question, how come that you are online right now? Computer access is pretty much difficult at madrasah I thought, isn't it?

sudoku
11-06-2009, 06:44 AM
AsalaamuAlaykum.. inshAllah my husband and i are planning on comming in about a year or two years from now.. he prefers to go to the madrassa in camperdown and i would like to study as well ..since there's no place for women at the madrassa i was wondering if i would be able to do the same as what the other brother had talked about in his previous threads about teaching his wife himself after comming back from class..inshAllah i think that that's a really good idea and inshAllah if theres a thread already written with all the information of renting an area near the madrassa and how the brothers would teach their wives and living costs per year for the two.. it would be a huge help if somone can reffer me to it inshAllah. jazakullahu khair .

:salam: sister,

:alhamd: that sounds really cool that you might be coming over to South Africa, may Allah make the journey and stay in this country fruitful for you, Ameen.

Basically what you are suggesting (i.e. studying from home) will take commitment from both your side and your husband's side. I studied about three - four years in the same way but did not complete the course (though to be honest in my opinion I think for a housewife that much is enough knowledge).

For your query about renting a place here, I'd suggest that you read through this thread, but more specifically the first few pages, :insh: they should have the information you need. If you do have more questions then please ask, :insh: you'll receive answers.

sudoku
11-06-2009, 08:35 AM
I do not posses hundreds of books, so that place seems enough for me insha Allah.
There are some furnitures right and left of the beds, are these the students lockers? Does every student get an own locker with a key and how big are these lockers usually? As I currently still live with my (non-Muslim) parent, coming to Madrasah Ina'amiyah would mean for me that it'll become my real home. I won't leave my belongings with my parents, but it's not much I own anyways, so this will not be a problem insha Allah.

Perhaps :insh: abuhajira can take a picture of the locker so you will have a better idea as to how they are. Personally, I would advise that you are cautionary with how many belongings you bring here. In the madrassa, there are many students from all over, and of different wealth status. A destitute student may develop some jealousy when they see someone with more then they have, and that could lead to theft.

I already collected the relevant information from this thread, would you allow me to reformulate phrases (questions and answers) to make them more readable/understandable? Shall I send it to the sunniforum email address before posting it here?
Hm, maybe it'll be better if you send it at the madrassa email address alinaam@alinaam.org.za

Another question, how come that you are online right now? Computer access is pretty much difficult at madrasah I thought, isn't it?

Most married students do not live in madrassa, rather they have their own homes to return to and keep the curfew as they wish. One of my friend's husband is a student in this madrassa, and they live in Pietermaritzburg, which is about 20 km away. In madrassa, internet access is indeed limited for students, and unless one has prior permission, students are not allowed to use the internet.

Al-Faruqi
11-06-2009, 08:10 PM

Yes, that would be nice if he could make a photo for me insha Allah.

Some more questions:

1) How is the atmosphere at madrasah among students and their teachers?
For example, when revising, do students help each other and learn together? Or is it more like everyone works on his own? Is there a spirit of belonging together and sharing the same aim (e.g. pleasure of Allah, propagation of the deen) among students?

2) How regularly is one able to do sports at madrasah?

3) Are students' dormitories mixed (age etc.) or is there some sort of regulation like older ones stay with older ones etc.?

4) What Hadith will be memorized during the Alim course? Will one memorize complete Sahih Bukhari and more?

5) Do you think it is a good intention if one of the main reasons for going to madrasah is to seclude oneself from world and todays fitan in order to protect ones iman and become a strong believer?

6) Are the exams at the end of each year, or each month or what?

abuhajira
11-06-2009, 08:51 PM

Yes, that would be nice if he could make a photo for me insha Allah.

Here are some pics I took today. Inshallah they will be helpful.

Outside Door to one of the dorms...
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/2349/dormdoor.jpg
Some more questions:

A general view of the room. You can see the space for each student. Basically you need to buy the locker. Each one is R400.00 You can also opt for aranging some other form of ward robe or something for yourself.. as shown in one the pics below..
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/8784/roommainview.jpg

Generic Locker
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/4805/typicallocker.jpg

Inside space of the locker
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/9345/lockerinsidespace.jpg

Another bed to show the idea of the space. Also note the wardrobe the student arranged for himself from outside..
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/4029/generalspace.jpg

Here is a pic of another room (actually the 6th Year) for comparison or better understanding.
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/931/anotherroom.jpg

1) How is the atmosphere at madrasah among students and their teachers?
For example, when revising, do students help each other and learn together? Or is it more like everyone works on his own? Is there a spirit of belonging together and sharing the same aim (e.g. pleasure of Allah, propagation of the deen) among students?

You get to have that belonging after some time. But you make that thinking yourself. I have seen those who keep aloof to their own work..while I have seen you have made it their full life for the time being. So what ever will help you inshAllah you wil find a crowd for it. In hifz there are teachers who will devote time to you. But mostly you will have to go by the pattern they have laid out for studying, you stick to it..you will progress well.

2) How regularly is one able to do sports at madrasah?

Normally Asr - Maghrib time is for general activities. You always find students playing at that time. They also play basketball etc after Ishaa time.. i.e after their study routines etc.

3) Are students' dormitories mixed (age etc.) or is there some sort of regulation like older ones stay with older ones etc.?

They are arranged according to the class you are in. Hifz classes are according to your teacher. So you have Ml. A as your teacher.. the students will remain in that group for quite some time. The dorms will be according to that as well. For Alim kids, the dorms are according to the class as well. Slight exceptions may be there.. but thats rare..

4) What Hadith will be memorized during the Alim course? Will one memorize complete Sahih Bukhari and more?

Every year has some hadith memorization. From the begining you memorize atleast 40 ahadeeth from Zaadut Talibeen. Then Riyadhus Saliheen, thereafter Targheeb Wa Tarheeb. But after that any memorization is basically on the student. There is no tarteeb for memorizing hadeeth rather making lot of studying in the shuruhaat on your own.

5) Do you think it is a good intention if one of the main reasons for going to madrasah is to seclude oneself from world and todays fitan in order to protect ones iman and become a strong believer?

The intention is indeed noble, however the expectation is too much. As mentioned you will find many things in madrassah contrary to the perception. Many new commers get dispondent because of these things and think that its all a sham. Whereas it is just that they have not found the right type of group to get along with. I myself had a very hard time in begining.. but now when I see my own class fellows, I see a stagering change in akhlaaq, habits and muamalaat. Alhamdulillah majority of the students come out right. Some of exceptional.. while some are not worth mentioning.

So you will become what you will make of yourself. the opportunity is definitely there.

6) Are the exams at the end of each year, or each month or what?

First exams - after 3 months
Second Exams - After 6 months
Final Exams - End of Year.

Other than that there could be weekly or monthly tests from specific teachers.

I hope that helps inshAllah.

din_il_islam27
12-06-2009, 01:48 AM
Jazakallahukhair sister =) yeaa i can only do four years too since my husband is a few years ahead of me . so all the material that you studied from was from the madrassa in camperdown as well?

Al-Faruqi
12-06-2009, 05:17 AM

:jazak: again for your fast reply.

I nearly finished a basic guide based on what you wrote at the beginning of the thread and all the different answers which I found useful to incorporate. Insha Allah I'll finish until tomorrow.

Another few questions:

After successfully finishing 6th year, will the student get formal ijaza and will he be actually (not only formally) able to act as a teacher in his community?

What do students usually do after completing their 6th year? Do they continue studies, do they start working as imam in a community or else?

Is it necessary to be able to write arabic to get admitted to alim course?
How should one prepare ideally for the alim course?

What type of materials would you typically use in class? Do you have to bring these materials yourself or buy them there or what?

Barak Allah fikum

sudoku
12-06-2009, 10:04 AM
After successfully finishing 6th year, will the student get formal ijaza and will he be actually (not only formally) able to act as a teacher in his community?

Yep. However you don't get any equivalency certificate which means even though you have a proper certificate of scholarly excellence, you cannot use this to get a Masters or PhD.

What do students usually do after completing their 6th year? Do they continue studies, do they start working as imam in a community or else?
Well basically the students can do what they want, but they usually end up

1. Going for one year in jamaat and thereafter that go to their respective community to work as an imam, teacher etc.

2. Continuing the studies by doing Ifta course, which is specialisation in writing fatwas.

3. Going back directly to their communities and work as an imam, teacher etc.

4. Restarting their secular education or work in other fields like business etc.

The last choice in not encouraged that much as you knowledge may remain stagnant.

Is it necessary to be able to write arabic to get admitted to alim course?
How should one prepare ideally for the alim course? It's not an absolute necessity as you first enter into the preparatory class called I'daadiyah, where you learn the following.

1. Qur’ān Memorization
2. Tas-hīl al-Aqā’id (basic aqeedah)
3. English Reader
4. Qur’ān Recitation
5. Dhurūr al-Muslimeen (Requisites of Muslims)
6. Tas-hīl al-Hadeeth (Easy Hadeeth)
7. Al-Sarf (Arabic Morphology)
8. Tajwīd ( Laws pertaining to Qur’an Recitation)
9. English Writing (Grammar and Literature)
10. English Language Laws
11. Sunnats (Blessed Traditions of Rasulullah salallāhu alayhi wasallam)

With these eleven subject the writing of Arabic comes automatically. I'm not sure about this madrassa, but the one I studied in for a while was very strict on teaching writing. Even if they don't teach it as a subject, I'd personally suggest someone takes the time out and practices themselves. It's quite easy, I used to actually look at the textbook's and do according to how the alphabet looked there.

There's still six months until the next year will start. I suggest you utilise this time to make your Quran more fluent and memorise at least the last juz, though that's not a requirement.

You can also read books like Taleemul Haq or Behishti Zewar (Heavenly Ornaments), that will help you a lot.

Remember that when you come into these preparatory classes, you will not start to tackle indebt masalas, fiqh, usools etc. Instead you will take baby steps, and slowly by the end of first year you will realize that you've already covered a whole lot, and your foundation is strong for future studies. I'm just saying this because many students come with the impression that they will immediately will be put in the thick of it, or they think it will be like spending time in jamaat, and both are incorrect. Everyone, even the muftis start from Alif baa and taa.

What type of materials would you typically use in class? Do you have to bring these materials yourself or buy them there or what?

Hm... I guess you mean stationary. I'd suggest you buy them from the local Superspar. You get everything here, from pens to pencils, erasers, whiteouts, both paperback and hardcover notebooks. I'd suggest not to burden yourself by bringing stationary from back home.

Hope :insh: this helped,

sudoku
12-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Jazakallahukhair sister =) yeaa i can only do four years too since my husband is a few years ahead of me . so all the material that you studied from was from the madrassa in camperdown as well?

:wk: sister.

Hm, well like my husband, I used to get all the course books from the madrassa, though I did have some from before, like Riyadus Saliheen and Mukhtasar Al-Qudoori.

Al-Faruqi
12-06-2009, 11:19 PM

The Guide to Madrasah Ina'aamiyah, see attachment.

Tell me if you find errors or have suggestions for improvements.

Please note that I DID NOT write Part I of the Guide, my work was simply to update (e.g. boarding costs) and rearrange content (questions etc.) to make it more easily readable without having to go through a 19 pages thread.

wullamulla
13-06-2009, 12:01 AM
jazakallah, great guide

sudoku
13-06-2009, 08:50 AM

Looks great to me! I have taken the guide out though. I will have my husband check it. In case some information has changed over time and the reader may think it is an official guide.

Al-Faruqi
14-06-2009, 04:30 AM

Another question:
Do giants like Mufti Ebrahim Desai (or alternatively Mufti Taqi (db)) also have a secular educational background? If no, where did they learn basic knowledge like math, english, geography etc.? Is such also teached in certain madaris?

abuhajira
14-06-2009, 06:40 PM

Another question:
Do giants like Mufti Ebrahim Desai (or alternatively Mufti Taqi (db)) also have a secular educational background? If no, where did they learn basic knowledge like math, english, geography etc.? Is such also teached in certain madaris?

This is somewhat of a mystery. While I know that Mufti Taqi Saheb db. holds an LLB Law degree etc, I do not know Mufti Ebrahim Saheb db. having any secular education except basic Grade 9 or so. The same is the case with most of the Ulama here in south Africa.

I know Mufti Emran Vawda Saheb db. is currently pursuing his degree in Law. but you know what I have seen these people with much eloquence even though they may not have much secular education to back it up.

It just reminds me of what old people used to say.. these school colleges etc are just a sham, the real skill are learnt in life. Once you stand with 14 kg Water melon in front of you to sell, you will know all your mathematics.

Allahu Alam..

But as for your question, Madrassah doesnt teach secular education. I am not sure which ones in S. Afr does..

Al-Faruqi
14-06-2009, 10:00 PM

Did you already have time to look over the guide I posted?

Another question, what type of secular education do most of the students have?
Would Mufti Ebrahim Desai encourage one to reach some high secular education grade?

I'm currently in a situation where I need to make a decision, either I continue school for two years and reach some 13th grade or I finish now, start a formation for some decent job (e.g. carpenter which is a much growing sector as I heard) to earn money and then come to madrasah when I have finished formation and got enough money. The Problem is that if I continue school for two years, I still will have to do a job (formation) for around three years, as I don't expect my parents to support me financially. This would mean I only could come to Madrasah in around 5 years. The thing I'm asking myself is, why continue school to reach higher grades (which will enable secular university studies) if anyways I don't plan to do secular studies.

What would you do Brother? I'd really like to hear your opinion on this, insha Allah.

abuhajira
16-06-2009, 10:47 AM

Did you already have time to look over the guide I posted?

I am still busy with it. is it possible for you to send me the Word file, so if there are any changes to be made, I can do so.

Another question, what type of secular education do most of the students have?
Would Mufti Ebrahim Desai encourage one to reach some high secular education grade?

It all depends on circumstances. Every case will be individually seen. Looking at your age and zeal I personally think you can manage doing Alim course and thereafter complete your secular studies, if need be.

Al-Faruqi
18-06-2009, 06:58 AM

Is there a mushaf printing which the teachers at Madrassah generally prefer?
(E.g. South African over Madinah printing)

sudoku
19-06-2009, 03:33 PM

Is there a mushaf printing which the teachers at Madrassah generally prefer?
(E.g. South African over Madinah printing)

They use the Indian/Pakistani script 13 lines mushaf. It's printed in South Africa, and the quality is really good, so if you wish you can buy one here.

Al-Faruqi
28-06-2009, 02:50 AM

Brother abuhajira, did you get my email?

Al-Faruqi
29-06-2009, 02:28 PM

What's going on with al-inaam.com? I can't reach madrassah website anymore, only ads instead...

Abdul Majeed
23-07-2009, 01:14 PM
Assalamu Aleikum!
Can you tell me more about finances?
I already know that I would have to pay about 50 dolars as unmarried student. But where would I take this money from? hihi
Could I work or my parent would have send it to me???

sudoku
23-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Assalamu Aleikum!
I already know that I would have to pay about 50 dolars as unmarried student. But where would I take this money from? hihi

Madrassa students aren't allowed to work so you would need your parents or a sponsor to send you money.

Umm
23-07-2009, 04:01 PM
Assalamu Aleikum!
I think the fee is $140

Yes, all costs are per month. For single students its about $USD50 / month and for married I mentioned that they are per month.

EDIT (3/10/2008) : The current fees are R1000 / month. You may use the conversion. It is approximately $140 / month. However remember that this fee is flexible depending on your paying ability.

Abdul Majeed
23-07-2009, 05:59 PM
That makes it worse :confused:
If not finances it would be perfect :(

abuhajira
23-07-2009, 06:12 PM
That makes it worse :confused:
If not finances it would be perfect :(

please elaborate. what seems to be the problem or confusion.

Abdul Majeed
23-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Would my non-muslim parent pay 70 quid every month for 6 years for an islamic school?? :confused:
I have no idea...
That makes me worried :(

abuhajira
23-07-2009, 07:13 PM
Would my non-muslim parent pay 70 quid every month for 6 years for an islamic school?? :confused:
I have no idea...
That makes me worried :(

Please do not be soo worried. Contact the Madrassah. Explain your whole situation and see if they make any help for you in the fee etc. They are very helpful.

din_il_islam27
28-07-2009, 08:22 PM
is anyone currently living near the madrassa in camperdown thats married?

sudoku
28-07-2009, 08:34 PM
is anyone currently living near the madrassa in camperdown thats married?

Do you mean Muslim couples in general, or Muslim couples in which the husband is a student?

In any case, there are both, :alhamd:, including myself :)

din_il_islam27
28-07-2009, 08:40 PM
lol mashAllah yea i meant muslim couples in general where both the husband and wife are students.. its really confusing because there's no other madrassa around inamiyyah that teaches for women and u told me before that your husband would teach u his stuff and u had all the exams that he had and everything but i dont think i would be able to do the same thing since he would be 3 years ahead of me and i will be starting from year one.

sudoku
28-07-2009, 08:51 PM
lol mashAllah yea i meant muslim couples in general where both the husband and wife are students.. its really confusing because there's no other madrassa around inamiyyah that teaches for women and u told me before that your husband would teach u his stuff and u had all the exams that he had and everything but i dont think i would be able to do the same thing since he would be 3 years ahead of me and i will be starting from year one.

:salam: sister,

Well I think I mentioned that I am not studying anymore as it grew more difficult, for me. (I'm probably not a really studious person lol).

In any case, if you really wish to study, I'd suggest (if your husband really likes SA) to consider Madrassa Zakariyah or Azadville.

din_il_islam27
28-07-2009, 08:55 PM
lol yea it looks pretty tough . i heard azadville has alot of urdu but do you know if zakariyya has alot as well?

sudoku
28-07-2009, 09:18 PM
lol yea it looks pretty tough . i heard azadville has alot of urdu but do you know if zakariyya has alot as well?

I'm quite sure that both Azadville and Zakariyya teach in Urdu. In'aamiyyah teaches in English, and has Urdu as a subject for the first few years.

There is a way that you could study in SA and your husband goes to In'aamiyyah. That would have you studying in a Madrassah in Pietermaritzburg, which is about 20 km away from Camperdown, but I don't know how feasible that would be. It'd probably mean you'd have to live in Pietermaritzburg.

Ahmad231
04-09-2009, 08:36 AM
Salaam, insha'Allah I'm going to be leaving for In'aamiya after Ramadan and had a few questions.

1) Whats the standard of living there, how far does the U.S. dollar? I know the exchange rate currently is about $1.00 to 7.70 R but was more concerned about the standard of living.

2) What will I need to buy initially after getting there? (mattress, bed sheets or are those things provided)?

3) Would it be better to open up my own account there to keep money, or should I have my family send me money every month or so when I need it?

Also please make dua for me as the Visa still hasn't come through yet and I'm running out of time. Jazakum Allahu khayr

Umm
05-09-2009, 01:39 AM
What is the minimum age to get into this maddrassah?

sudoku
05-09-2009, 04:42 AM

For question #1

It really depends on each individuals living style. The madrassah recommends that you keep 40-50$ per month which in my view is a LOT of pocket money (Good enough for a whole months grocery for one person). You can judge the living standards by these benchmarks:

a) a burger and chips meal (good tasting one) costs about 35 rands.
b) a two liter coke costs 11.99 rands.
c) a loaf of fresh bread cost about 5 rands
d) a packet of chips varies from 4-8 rands
e) a bar of soap is about 4-8 rands
f) bandages are about 13 rands and up ^^^

These are just a few measures. Note prices are going up due to recession. A tuna can in 2004 cost 6.99 and now costs 10.99, spaghetti costed 4.99 and now costs 7.99. (I'm a housewife so food is the easiest to compare with... and what students would probably be buying anyways).

If you have any other specific questions, please ask. Please also read the rest of the thread, if you haven't already.

For question #2

Please check this post--> link (http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=387131&postcount=170)

and this one --> link (http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=387450&postcount=176)

You do not need to buy mattresses, you'll be provided with a bed and mattresses. You may bring your favourite blanky (joke) or bedsheets. A good investment from home would be a mosquito net, if you have a intolerance for them (and other various beetles). You do get used to them though... my brother used to be a big scaredy cat at first, now he hardly notices them. If you want something cheaper and are not too afraid of the mosquitoes, you can find mosquito coils, lotions. One good thing about net though is that people won't complain about fumes (remember, five to six others will be in the same room.)

Please note there are no power plugs provided anymore, until further notice, so microwaves etc. usage until further notice.

Since you're coming from home, you can bring your own clothes so you do not have worry here. Just make sure they follow the guidelines and are jubba/kurtas, and the lower pants (izaar, shalwar) are above the ankles. I've heard stories from my husband and brother of the Principal saheb cutting the part of the pant going below the ankles.

You can also bring a pair of sweat/track pants, sneakers etc for playing and exercise. They normally play soccer/basketball here.

For question #3

It is very costly to transfer money from any foreign country into South Africa. I would not recommend you to have your parents send every month; it will be a waste of their money. Instead what you can do after coming here is to open an account here and your parents can send after every six months (or bigger interval). Some students actually bring enough funds for the whole year and then keep them by Mufti Kadwa saheb, who is the admin, and then monthly take their allowance from them. I think this is the best solution.
----------------------

@ sister Umm

Could you specify for which course? :jazak:

Umm
05-09-2009, 10:29 AM

@ sister Umm[/B]

Could you specify for which course? :jazak:

Aalim course as well as hafiz
Is there a boarding for Hafiz class too?

sudoku
05-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Aalim course as well as hafiz
Is there a boarding for Hafiz class too?

:salam: sis

Minimum age for boarding is 15. (http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=362461&postcount=157) That's understandable if the student is coming from abroad. There may be a leeway if they are from South Africa, but the admin does not encourage this, as the students are usually not mature enough.

As for the second question, yep there's boarding for hifz students as well. Hifz students in fact make about half the madrassah students.

Wassalaam

Ahmad231
14-09-2009, 10:19 AM
Does anyone know if we should bring any of the books the school studies if we have them? Like ta'leemul haq or translation of nur al idah, or anything else?

abuhajira
14-09-2009, 11:00 AM
Does anyone know if we should bring any of the books the school studies if we have them? Like ta'leemul haq or translation of nur al idah, or anything else?

If you have them, and you can bring them without burdening your bags and luggage too much, do bring them. However the teachers do not permit/encourage using translations for books like Nurul Eidah, Usool Shashi etc

Nasrollah
14-09-2009, 11:11 AM
How they instruct in Iftah Course, is it English, Urdo or Arabic? Any other information with regards to Iftah?

London786
14-09-2009, 12:05 PM
maulana abu hajira saheb...could u tell me more about the correspondence iftaa course...one of my friends is interested

Al-Faruqi
14-09-2009, 12:10 PM
How they instruct in Iftah Course, is it English, Urdo or Arabic? Any other information with regards to Iftah?

The general teaching language is English. Urdu and Arabic are taught seperately as a subject.

You don't need to know Urdu in order to be able to study at Madrasah In'aamiyyah, you just need English.

Insha Allah Mawlana Abu Hajirah will publish a guide with frequently asked question on Madrasah as soon as possible.

abuhajira
14-09-2009, 12:27 PM
maulana abu hajira saheb...could u tell me more about the correspondence iftaa course...one of my friends is interested

The correspondence iftaa course is not a complete course as I understand it so far. Your will be asked to do your self study, and your understanding will be seen through the practical answers you give to questions. But there is a big difference in being here under mufti saheb and doing through correspondence. Mufti Saheb gives many indications and isharaat here and there. I dont know how mufti saheb views the correspondence course.

@ Al Faruqi,

Keep an eye on the Qafila posts about Madrassah. I am making some changes in it. Then inshAllah will put the compilation again for download as one big file.

London786
14-09-2009, 12:55 PM
maulana abu hajira...i understand 100% what ur saying...but some people circumstances are difficult...could u please email me the details as straight after ramadan a close friend wants to start.

muminah
14-09-2009, 01:16 PM

The correspondence iftaa course is not a complete course as I understand it so far. Your will be asked to do your self study, and your understanding will be seen through the practical answers you give to questions. But there is a big difference in being here under mufti saheb and doing through correspondence. Mufti Saheb gives many indications and isharaat here and there. I dont know how mufti saheb views the correspondence course.

Is this course open to sisters? And how does one apply?

abuhajira
14-09-2009, 01:45 PM
Is this course open to sisters? And how does one apply?

please see : http://www.al-inaam.com/madrasah/iftaa_course_detailed.htm

The above are the syllabus etc for the course. You need to be qualified Alim..

As for women applying for correspondence, I will have to ask mufti saheb.

Ahmad231
22-09-2009, 08:47 AM
Alhamdulillah I just got my visa today and am leaving at the end of the week. I had sent an e-mail to the school letting them know my arrival date but hadn't sent the details. They didn't respond, I'm assuming since it was Ramadan and obviously I'm everyone was very busy.

But just wondering how do I get word to them with the details of my flight and things? Just wanted to make sure since I imagine the school arranges for pickup of the students?

sudoku
22-09-2009, 08:52 AM
Alhamdulillah I just got my visa today and am leaving at the end of the week. I had sent an e-mail to the school letting them know my arrival date but hadn't sent the details. They didn't respond, I'm assuming since it was Ramadan and obviously I'm everyone was very busy.

But just wondering how do I get word to them with the details of my flight and things? Just wanted to make sure since I imagine the school arranges for pickup of the students?

You can email abuhajira the details. His email is abuhajira@gmail.com

verdana
22-09-2009, 06:30 PM

I'have read almost all posts up until 10th page, but couldn't find the answer to a question I want ask:

In your madrasah there is Qiraat course for saba and ashar. Does the Qari have ijazah in all of these 10 qiraat to teach and give ijazah for his learned students thereof? If so, how strong is his sanad(s) (i.e and also mentioning the number of Qurra up until the Prophet (pbuh)) ?

I know that some of the Indo-Pak people have terrible time with their dialects even in reciting Qur'an although they have Ijzah.. Is this the situation in the madrasah al inaamiyyah?

Similarly, are all of the teachers hold traditional Ijazah in Kutub al-Sittah hadith?

sudoku
22-09-2009, 06:48 PM

I'have read almost all posts up until 10th page, but couldn't find the answer to a question I want ask:

In your madrasah there is Qiraat course for saba and ashar. Does the Qari have ijazah in all of these 10 qiraat to teach and give ijazah for his learned students thereof? If so, how strong is his sanad(s) (i.e and also mentioning the number of Qurra up until the Prophet (pbuh)) ? The Qari has ijaaza, and the students get their ijaaza. I am not sure about the last part of the question. Perhaps abuhajira can answer that.

I know that some of the Indo-Pak people have terrible time with their dialects even in reciting Qur'an although they have Ijzah.. Is this the situation in the madrasah al inaamiyyah?:alhamd: all the students/teachers I have heard from the madrassa read very nicely.

Similarly, are all of the teachers hold traditional Ijazah in Kutub al-Sittah hadith?

:jazak:Yes they do.

student2009
23-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Assalamu 'Alaikum,

Does anyone know what the average age of students is in Madrasah In'aamiya? How about Madrasah Zakariyya? Are there many older students? How would someone aging 20 to 24 fit in?

Jazak Allahu Kahiran

sudoku
23-09-2009, 05:39 PM
Assalamu 'Alaikum,

Does anyone know what the average age of students is in Madrasah In'aamiya? How about Madrasah Zakariyya? Are there many older students? How would someone aging 20 to 24 fit in?

Jazak Allahu Kahiran

The average age is about twenty; those starting alim is usually around 16-20, and in hifz class it's usually younger.

Someone around those ages ie 20-24 would fit in perfectly. My husband and his best friend were both twenty five in their first year; on the other hand my little brother (who is in their class was) was 15. So basically anyone of all ages can fit in :alhamd:

Adnan bin Khalid
23-09-2009, 09:17 PM

I've been through this when I went overseas to study in Darul Uloom. Don't rely just on Email brother, call them, get a hold of them and tell them you are arriving at this time etc. If they respond to you then it is good. If not, then just make sure you have the address, and when you get your stuff from the airport, grab a cab(make sure to ask the workers at the airport which one is legit) and give them the address. They'll drop you right in front insha'Allah. I did that the first time I arrived in England. Some Bengali brother drove me to Madrasah for 50 british pounds. After I figured out the transit system.. it only cost me 7 british pounds to go back and forth.

Note: Don't take a cab according to Shiekh, I imagine SA a lot more dangerous then England.

K don't take a cab!

abuhajira
23-09-2009, 09:23 PM

Br. Ahmed,

I am awaiting your email.. the email was provided .. abuhajira@gmail.com

I have already arranged a pickup for you, but i need those details! Once I receive the email, I will send you a couple of phone numbers which you can call once you arrive (IN CASE there is no one to pick you up)..

One of the number will be mine, in worst case I will come myself inshAllah. PLEASE PLEASE do not take a cab or anything.. it is much safer to stay put in the airport and wait for the pickup. I pray you have a good travel.

Ahmad231
28-09-2009, 05:16 AM
Salaam,

Would it be advisable to bring notebooks, pencils and things like that? I'd rather not overload my luggage with that stuff. Hoping to just be able to buy it there insha'Allah.

sudoku
28-09-2009, 05:19 AM
Salaam,

Would it be advisable to bring notebooks, pencils and things like that? I'd rather not overload my luggage with that stuff. Hoping to just be able to buy it there insha'Allah.

Hm... I mentioned about this in the thread.

Please do NOT burden yourself with notebooks, pencils etc etc. You can get all that from at least two stores in Camperdown, and nice quality as well. Unless you like a specific brand of something, just buy the notebooks and other stationary from here.

I'll post a picture later today as to the different types of stationary we have here, just so you have an idea.

Al-Faruqi
05-10-2009, 10:14 PM

Are there many reconvert brothers from Europe/America at madrasah?

abuhajira
06-10-2009, 04:32 AM

Are there many reconvert brothers from Europe/America at madrasah?

No, There are only a couple of reverts from europe. So we need more of them :-)

Rahmaniyyah
01-11-2009, 02:33 PM
Assalaamu Alaikum

1. Urdu is more like a subject, currently some of the classes in the higher classes are taught some books in urdu, but majority is in english. they are trying to incorporate english as the main instructing language, hoiwever this may take sime time.

3.for students in boarding the tution fee is like 50USD everything included, though it is recommended that you keep 20 to thirty extra $$ per month for you own personal purchase. the madressah is secluded in a secluded area, therefore the only shops are at a twenty to thirty walh distance (which you get used to) also you arent allowed to leave madressah premises without written permission. currently they do not have a system of accomadating married students, so married students have to come up with extra money for residential purposes. for a married couple, o live comfortrably (without extravagances) you would probably need about 550 USd per month.

I don't want to read this entire thread so I apologise if the following questions have been answered just a quick reply will be appreciated:

1. How far has the Madrassah come in making it mostly English medium? What languages are specific classes taught in and can one complete the entire course with minimal Urdu? And equally if someone had a desire to learn Urdu would that be possible too?

2. Are the fees still the same as quoted above? Is it per month 50USD? I'm assuming by "everything included" that's like accommodation and food?

That's all for now.

abuhajira
01-11-2009, 03:11 PM

I don't want to read this entire thread so I apologise if the following questions have been answered just a quick reply will be appreciated:

1. How far has the Madrassah come in making it mostly English medium? What languages are specific classes taught in and can one complete the entire course with minimal Urdu? And equally if someone had a desire to learn Urdu would that be possible too?

all the classes are taught in english. Urdu is taught as a subject.

2. Are the fees still the same as quoted above? Is it per month 50USD? I'm assuming by "everything included" that's like accommodation and food?

That's all for now.

it is actually R1000 . so it will change as the rate changes. anything above that will be pocket money...

Rahmaniyyah
01-11-2009, 03:33 PM
all the classes are taught in english. Urdu is taught as a subject.

it is actually R1000 . so it will change as the rate changes. anything above that will be pocket money...

:jazak: for your response.

Talibul ilm84
04-11-2009, 03:20 AM
Assalaamu Alaykum,

New Madrasah In'amiyyah facebook group page:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=175603500862&ref=mf

has some nice pictures mashaAllah

Wsalaam

verdana
04-11-2009, 04:35 AM

Sunhanallah, the day before I was there in madrasah in'amiyyah in my dream. I went through educational system, took a walk around the building.. I felt in love with it.

Once I finish up with my PhD thesis I eagerly want to join your team inshAllah. Till then, I am polishing my Arabic, and Hifz.

My main goal is to obtain Adab and 'Ilm of Rasulullah s.a.w.

InshAllah.

sudoku
10-11-2009, 02:57 PM

Sunhanallah, the day before I was there in madrasah in'amiyyah in my dream. I went through educational system, took a walk around the building.. I felt in love with it.

Once I finish up with my PhD thesis I eagerly want to join your team inshAllah. Till then, I am polishing my Arabic, and Hifz.

My main goal is to obtain Adab and 'Ilm of Rasulullah s.a.w.

InshAllah.

May Allah accept your intentions, Ameen. We need more people who have a yearning to learn for the sake of Allah.

Rahmaniyyah
10-11-2009, 03:35 PM

:mash:

I can't wait to get out of university so I can study insha Allah. Right now in'aamiyyah is a clear favourite. Reasons are many but I still have at least 2/3 years - got to start planning early!

Al-Faruqi
24-02-2010, 12:53 AM
Assalamu alaykum.

Is 'Maariful Quran' by the esteemed Mufti Shafi Uthmani (:rahim:) also part of the curriculum?

abuhajira
03-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Assalamu alaykum.

Is 'Maariful Quran' by the esteemed Mufti Shafi Uthmani (:rahim:) also part of the curriculum?

No it is not part of the curiculum however, while you do the Quran Translation, they recommend that you read the Ma'riful Quran on the side. Due to my heavy schedule I chose to read the Tafseer Uthmani. But I did read through a lot of Ma'riful Quran too.

While we did Tafseer Jalalayn, they recommend to do the some other tafseer along with it. I did Saawi (hashiya) along with it.

Al-Faruqi
21-03-2010, 03:06 PM

Brother, did you receive my last two email messages?

Al-Faruqi
22-05-2010, 01:59 AM

The Madrasah got a new website, please check out:

www.al-inaam.com

binte sulaiman
22-05-2010, 09:17 PM
Assalamu Alaykum

Maulana, can you check this thread: Where can a non-muslim study islam (http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/showthread.php?58547-Where-can-a-non-Muslim-study-about...&p=482735#post482735)
Is madrassa in'aamiyyah open to what he's asking for?? It would be a good way for the brother to learn more and at the same time be able to experience a deeni environment.

abuhajira
22-05-2010, 09:20 PM

Unfortunately madrasa does not have such retreat programs.

Al-Faruqi
08-06-2010, 05:03 AM

Does Madrasah have specific requirements concerning which Qur'ân printing style to use? (i.e. is it restricted to SA/Pak print or could one also use e.g. Middle-Eastern print or Turkish print?)

hope1
08-06-2010, 06:38 AM

Does Madrasah have specific requirements concerning which Qur'ân printing style to use? (i.e. is it restricted to SA/Pak print or could one also use e.g. Middle-Eastern print or Turkish print?)

Asslamau laiakum,

I highly doubt print style matters. Brother, I think In'amiyyah is a good choice because they do a lot of research it seems. Also they are very pro-active and want to find practical solution.

abdul_rehman
09-08-2010, 05:11 AM
Chapter 3

Prospective Student

1. Married Students

If you are a married student who wishes to come here and study at Madrasah, my sincere advice is to think beforehand. There are many aspects to look before you make your decision. It is even harsher for the newly weds. When I came here I was a newly wed and for me to leave my wife home alone, for most part of the day was pretty hard. There are many reasons why it is so hard. Foreign students like us, have our own way of living which is a bit different then what this environment offers.

Sometime seclusion of the house gets to you. If you don’t have a car then it is even harder since you have to request someone to take you to the neighboring city for a mere couple of hours of outing.

Though the food and groceries are there, but under a limited budget you can only expand your varieties so much. I remember in Canada a stroll after supper was a delicacy which I have long forgotten since it is not advisable to roam outside after sunset. There are also other factors which make sure that if you come here with a family, then the mujahada(struggle) will not be only on your part but also your wife.

Limitation to the Madrasah Boundary

All students are restricted to the Madrasah Premise. They cannot go out except with a permission slip from the office. This is for student’s safety, and not the urge of the official to subjugate the students to show authority.

Assalam Walaikum

Jazak Allah Khair for the info you gave.

Brother, you may be an ideal person to ask the following things, as you were newly wed from Canada when you went to study.

I’m 23 years old and my wife 24. We both have bachelor’s degree from USA. Now by the mercy of Allah, Allah taala put in our hearts to change our life style and learn about Deen. We both want to go and do aalim/aalima course (I have heard that one of the best place is South Africa). I just started researching on this.

Obviously I will not be able to work there if I’m studying there full time. Thus, we will not have any financial support.
Can you please tell me if they have any benefit for married couple like me? If I study in Madrasah In'aamiya and my wife do the same course close by (please tell me the closest school for her, I have listed some school of South Africa below which I found by searching), do we have to live in the marasah or can we get a small place between both the madrasah? Also, how far is both men and women madrasah from each other? How much you think we will need to contribute every month for living there? (not talking about comfort, just necessity is fine too). When do the semester start and as we both know English and urdu(we may not need to take these classes) how many years program will we be enrolling for? How much time do you think husband and wife will be able to spend in a school day? And how much is the home work for every night and the weekend?

I’m sorry I have so many questions, but as you may understand that I’m absolutely beginner and these basic questions are very important for me. Please reply with these answers and any other information you think is important for us to know (as you were in the same boat in which I’m today). Jazak Allah.
Few Madarasah for Girls I found online by searching. Please tell me which one are the closest and how close from my madarash and which one you recommend:
Madrasah Islaahul Banaat (WOMEN) Landsdowne
Madrasah Banaatul Islaam (WOMEN) Korsten, Port Elizabeth
Madrasatul Banaat (WOMEN) Stanger
Madrasah Swaalihaat (WOMEN) Asherville
Madrasah Talimun Niswan ((WOMEN) PMBurg
Madrasatul Banaat (WOMEN) Azaadville
Madrasah Muneeratul Islam lil Banaat (WOMEN) Azaadville
Girls Madrasah Zakariyyah (WOMEN)

ImaanSeeker
14-08-2010, 12:59 AM
Assalam Walaikum

Brother, you may be an ideal person to ask the following things, as you were newly wed from Canada when you went to study.

I’m 23 years old and my wife 24. We both have bachelor’s degree from USA. Now by the mercy of Allah, Allah taala put in our hearts to change our life style and learn about Deen. We both want to go and do aalim/aalima course (I have heard that one of the best place is South Africa). I just started researching on this.

Obviously I will not be able to work there if I’m studying there full time. Thus, we will not have any financial support.
Can you please tell me if they have any benefit for married couple like me? If I study in Madrasah In'aamiya and my wife do the same course close by (please tell me the closest school for her, I have listed some school of South Africa below which I found by searching), do we have to live in the marasah or can we get a small place between both the madrasah? Also, how far is both men and women madrasah from each other? How much you think we will need to contribute every month for living there? (not talking about comfort, just necessity is fine too). When do the semester start and as we both know English and urdu(we may not need to take these classes) how many years program will we be enrolling for? How much time do you think husband and wife will be able to spend in a school day? And how much is the home work for every night and the weekend?

I’m sorry I have so many questions, but as you may understand that I’m absolutely beginner and these basic questions are very important for me. Please reply with these answers and any other information you think is important for us to know (as you were in the same boat in which I’m today). Jazak Allah.
Few Madarasah for Girls I found online by searching. Please tell me which one are the closest and how close from my madarash and which one you recommend:

Assalaamu Alaykum,

I am in a somewhat similar situation as the brother above. I would appreciate the answers to his questions as well.

Also, if the above brother is willing, is it possible to give bro abdul_rehman my email address, so I can ask him about his findings about this issue.

JazakAllah Khayr to the mods for helping faciliate this.

Wassalaam

abuhajira
15-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Assalam Walaikum

I am extremely sorry for being so late. InshAllah I will try to answer to the best of my ability.

Can you please tell me if they have any benefit for married couple like me?

The benefit for a married student may perhaps be half that to a bachelor. the reason is simple. The Madrasah does not have any accommodation facilities for the married students. Hence neither room nor boarding (food) expenses be covered by this. And I can tell you from my experience that this is an enormous expense for someone who is not working.

A partial solution if I may offer is that before you depart for US or your country, arrange a sponsor there who will manage these expenses for you. You may start a fund raising or talk to local masajid to look some sponsor for you. Basically you will need about $4000 US per year to barely secure yourself in a self sustained environment. If you can manage something like that, then you are set to go.

The benefit from the madrasah can be pretty minimal for such students. basically they wave off the tuition fee for you, and if you choose to stay in madrasah at lunch time, they will arrange the luch for you as well. But this is of not much benefit for your wife who may be in another madrasah or at home.

If I study in Madrasah In'aamiya and my wife do the same course close by (please tell me the closest school for her, I have listed some school of South Africa below which I found by searching), do we have to live in the marasah or can we get a small place between both the madrasah?

Unfortunately Madrasah In'aamiyah is not close to any Female Madrasah. the closest is the one in Pietermeritzburg. Although it may be a good idea to have your wife study at madrasah as well, but personally I have not been much impressed by the curriculum of women madaris here. Maybe I am not much aquainted with the current setup, but 4 years back when I searched a place for my own wife I was half impressed to learn that they will only do untill Mishkaat year. Moreover I have been told that they have even reduced that level somewhat. I am not sure as for now.

I had resorted at that time to teach my wife on my own. Basically whatever I would study throught the day I would teach it in the evening. This becomes really hard beyond 3rd year, and I too lost the energy and push for it. So to get your wife to study at a madrasah while you study is a big problem if you choose Madrasah Inaamiyah.

Also, how far is both men and women madrasah from each other? How much you think we will need to contribute every month for living there? (not talking about comfort, just necessity is fine too).

The closest women madrasah is about 22-25 km from camperdown. You can either choose to stay in camperdown and drive to PMB or vice versa. Since you traveling anyway, I would recommend opting to stay in PMB and then travel to camperdown. You may find cheaper accomodation there as well. I will try to get some average figures for that. But base necessity will be same as I mentioned above.

When do the semester start and as we both know English and urdu(we may not need to take these classes) how many years program will we be enrolling for?

You will still enroll for the 6 year program. I cannot say for sure about your wife. THe normal course for them is 5 years if I am not mistaken. Urdu will be help but not as great as it would have been in other madaris. If you prefer urdu medium or somewhere you can utilize urdu, I would suggest you check the thread about Zakariya Madrasah (http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/showthread.php?27235-Madressa-Zakariya-Park-(Darul-Uloom-Zakariyya)). they also have a woman madrasah closeby and easier to find accommodations there as well.

How much time do you think husband and wife will be able to spend in a school day? And how much is the home work for every night and the weekend?

That I must say is very relative. The school hours at our madrasah is from 7:30PM to 4:30PM and a normal 2-3 hour for evening studies will suffice. But it all depends on your study methods and how you like to study. Married students are not bound by Takrar and Mutala schedule of madrasah. So they do it in their own times at home.

I would say the PMBurg. but I need to confirm thats the one. It is run by Maulana Akoonji Saheb, if I am not mistaken. InshAllah I will call my friend tomorrow to get the info.

SASLAMS
16-08-2010, 08:37 AM
Zakariyah & Azadvile would be the best option if you wanted male & female madrasahs withing walking distance from each other. I dont want to speak too much about the security in both those areas-but they both in Johannesburg & muslims are targeted especialy in indian areas. being foreigners, you guys should seek advice & becoming street wise SA style too. My friend from had his car stolen not long after moving over to Zakariyah but it was mostly due to him not actualy being aware of JHB.

insha Allah you would be fine just mingle with your local muslim near you & let then help you. dont completely shun the non muslims either, that is one mistake many SA muslims do.

waqas naseer
16-08-2010, 11:37 AM
nice thread