PDA

View Full Version : Masjids headed by Ulema in the U.S.?

Sunni_Student786
08-04-2006, 07:00 AM
As salaamu alaykum.

Could we perhaps get a list going of masjids/Islamic centers that are headed by Orthodox Ulema here in the U.S.?

The intention behind making this list isn't necessarily to somehow encourage people to "boycott" Masaajid that are not headed by an Alim, but so as to make it easier for those of us who live in areas where there are no Ulema, to know where we can find them, if need be, for personal consultations and/or to acquire knowledge.

When answering, please list the city, state, name of the Masjid/Islamic Center/Institue headed by the Alim, and, of course, the Alim his/herself.

I hope that this thread proves beneficial insha'allah and that we get several replies.

Jazakallahu Khair.

Wa'salaam.

Hamood
08-04-2006, 02:32 PM
Yep, its pretty rare these days.

Anyway, I know some,

1. Georgia Islamic Institute (beautiful masjid plus madrasa under construction) - Shaykh Abdul Ghaffar, Lawrenceville, GA

2. Institute of Islamic Education - Maulana Abdullah Saleem, Elgin, IL

Hamood
08-04-2006, 02:34 PM
There are two types of masjids headed by Alims.

a) A masjid/institute where the committee has hired a scholar to be the imam and religous director of the masjid.

b) A masjid/institute where the scholar is the founder and basically runs the masjid.

(my list above is type b)

TapeMonkey
08-04-2006, 03:58 PM
My masjid is a good place. It was founded by former NOIers in 1975, who are, as a result, really big into Imam W. D. Mohammad. Now there's a large immigrant community as well. It's not a manifestly orthodox community, so to speak. I mean I would consider the imam so, but I think a lot of the regular muslims who might attend on any given friday probably aren't too informed or concerned about what a madhhab is, or was tasawwuf is. But it's definitely an open, accepting environment with good people. I pray sadl style and have never been harasses, approached, or even asked about it (and there is another brother I found out that prayed that way too, an Ibadi brother who apparently also has a lot of strong malikis in his family).

Masjid Bilal ibn Rabah in Lexington, KY. The Imam is Dr. Ihsan Bagby.

shariff
08-04-2006, 04:12 PM
My masjid is a good place. It was founded by former NOIers in 1975, who are, as a result, really big into Imam W. D. Mohammad. Now there's a large immigrant community as well. It's not a manifestly orthodox community, so to speak. I mean I would consider the imam so, but I think a lot of the regular muslims who might attend on any given friday probably aren't too informed or concerned about what a madhhab is, or was tasawwuf is. But it's definitely an open, accepting environment with good people. I pray sadl style and have never been harasses, approached, or even asked about it (and there is another brother I found out that prayed that way too, an Ibadi brother who apparently also has a lot of strong malikis in his family).

Masjid Bilal ibn Rabah in Lexington, KY. The Imam is Dr. Ihsan Bagby.

Here are some of the masajid in the Chicagoland area headed up by tradtional scholars or that have traditional scholars as their imams/religious directors:

1) Institute of Islamic Education, Elgin, IL (already mentioned)
2) Noor Masjid, Chicago, IL
3) Jamia Masjid, Chicago, IL
4) Des Plaines Islamic Center, Des Plaines IL
5) Masjid Al-Huda, Schaumburg IL
6) Islamic Society of Northwest Subarbs, Rolling Meadows IL
7) Muslim Society Incorporated, Glen Ellyn IL
8) American Islamic Association, Frankfort IL (Mufti Minhaj and Mufti Haaroon are regulars here. I don't know if they serve any kind of leadership capacity though besides giving khutbah)
9) Makki Masjid, Chicago IL
10) Masjid Rahmat, Chicago IL
11) Tahoora Masjid, Chicago IL

I know I forgot a few but that's most of them...yeah I know, the Chicagoland area is blessed by the mercy of Allah... :cheesygri

Zubair
08-04-2006, 05:39 PM
salam

Brother Sharif, do you know any masjid close to bridgview that has a traditional alim.

salam

shariff
08-04-2006, 06:17 PM
salam

Brother Sharif, do you know any masjid close to bridgview that has a traditional alim.

salam

I think the closest masjid that you will find near Bridgeview is probably the one in Frankfort, which is about 20 miles away. Maulana Saleem has a really good relationship with Shaykh Jamal from Mosque Foundation in Bridgeview but I don't know if he's a traditional scholar. This is based on the fact that he leads only 8 rakats of taraweeh while reading out of a Qur'an.

Ajami
08-04-2006, 06:25 PM
Harvey masjid might not be too far from there also. It is also traditional.

shariff
08-04-2006, 08:39 PM
Harvey masjid might not be too far from there also. It is also traditional.

Who is the Imam over there?

Hamood
08-04-2006, 11:10 PM
I think brother Pahlawaan was asking specifically about masjids headed by Alims, not just any masjid with traditional folks. Lets keep posts relevant to the topic :insh: if we can.

shariff
09-04-2006, 12:40 AM
I think brother Pahlawaan was asking specifically about masjids headed by Alims, not just any masjid with traditional folks. Lets keep posts relevant to the topic :insh: if we can.

"but so as to make it easier for those of us who live in areas where there are no Ulema, to know where we can find them, if need be, for personal consultations and/or to acquire knowledge."

This was Br. Pahlawaan's intention behind the list. All the masajid I listed have traditional scholars as their imams. It is not necessary that the traditional scholar has to found the masjid for someone to go learn from him or ask them for advice. Isn't it enough that the scholar is physically present in the masjid?

:)

Hamood
09-04-2006, 01:21 AM
My bad.

Sunni_Student786
09-04-2006, 02:04 AM

Yes.

And thank you brother Sharif and others who have contributed to the list thus far.

May Allah reward you all.

Keep the names coming insha'allah.

Ajami
09-04-2006, 03:09 AM
Who is the Imam over there?
My mistake. The masjid itself is run by traditional brothers and the Imam is also traditional, but he is not an alim. Mufti Harun, Mufti Minhaj, and Mufti Azeem do frequent that masjid though from what I hear.

Zubair
09-04-2006, 03:49 AM
Salam

Where is the harvey Masjid?

salam

muhammadnur
09-04-2006, 08:36 PM
:salam:

Islamic Society of Baltimore - Imam Irfan Kabirudden

Muhammad-Nur

shariff
09-04-2006, 09:21 PM
Khadijah Masjid, Salt Lake City - Maulana Shuaib

IlyasLahoz
09-04-2006, 09:51 PM
Masjid Aman in Middletown NJ, where Shaykh Jamal Zahabi (http://www.ismcy.org/news.html#anchor_25) is the Imam.

Also, al-Madinah Masjid, headed by Shaykh Sayyid Muhammad al-Ninowy (http://almadinamasjid.org/) in Atlanta GA.

eTeacher
09-04-2006, 10:38 PM
Irving, Texas:

http://www.irvingmasjid.org/Images/Ext_9.jpg

The Imam is Shaykh Ziaul Haq. A graduate of Dewsbury, England. I'm the Quranic School administrator here. www.irvingmasjid.org

There are 5 other Masjid which have Traditional Scholars.

Hamood
09-04-2006, 11:22 PM
Also, al-Madinah Masjid, headed by Shaykh Sayyid Muhammad al-Ninowy (http://almadinamasjid.org/) in Atlanta GA.

:salam: ... No he only gives few classes and jumuah khutbah there. They have a full time imam there who studied in Syria I believe is and is originally from Bangladesh. Forgot his name. He's also active in Masjid Hamzah (also Atlanta) and I believe there is another masjid he might be heading or is heading.

IlyasLahoz
10-04-2006, 08:53 AM
:salam: ... No he only gives few classes and jumuah khutbah there. They have a full time imam there who studied in Syria I believe is and is originally from Bangladesh. Forgot his name. He's also active in Masjid Hamzah (also Atlanta) and I believe there is another masjid he might be heading or is heading.
:salam: I wasn't aware of that.
:jazak: for clearing that up.

al-Hanbali
10-04-2006, 09:31 AM
... No he only gives few classes and jumuah khutbah there. They have a full time imam there who studied in Syria I believe is and is originally from Bangladesh. Forgot his name. He's also active in Masjid Hamzah (also Atlanta) and I believe there is another masjid he might be heading or is heading.

Is this the not so older Bangladeshi brother who has a weak left eye (dont know of anyother way to describe him)? Also, sunnilink, has Shaykh Abdul Ghaffar Sahib completed the construction of the Madrasah? Last i visited him in 2003 it was still only half way done.

Hamood
10-04-2006, 04:27 PM
Is this the not so older Bangladeshi brother who has a weak left eye (dont know of anyother way to describe him)? Also, sunnilink, has Shaykh Abdul Ghaffar Sahib completed the construction of the Madrasah? Last i visited him in 2003 it was still only half way done.

Yep thats him. I still can't remember his name. I'll have to call up some friends for that. Last time somebody told me he is a "muhaddith of bukhari" .. Don't know if that was a compliment or if that is a real title.

I think Maulana Abdul Ghaffar's madrasa is still under conruction. I left that city so wouldn't know the latest and greatest.

And another addition to the list,

(*) Greenview Madani Center - Mufti Sharif Fani, Atlanta

Sunni_Student786
10-04-2006, 06:17 PM
In what city is Maulana Abdul Ghaffar's madrassa supposed to be?

shariff
10-04-2006, 06:46 PM
also, in Bensenville, IL, the masjid is headed by Mufti Ghulam Samdani.

eTeacher
10-04-2006, 06:48 PM
In North America, Toronto, Canada probably has the highest concentration of Masjids which are headed by traditional Ulama. Is it any wonder that there is no city like Toronto in North America? :)

Check this out:
http://www.jucanada.org/noticeboard.htm

shariff
10-04-2006, 07:04 PM
In North America, Toronto, Canada probably has the highest concentration of Masjids which are headed by traditional Ulama. Is it any wonder that there is no city like Toronto in North America? :)

Check this out:
http://www.jucanada.org/noticeboard.htm

Maulana Nazim, do you think Chicago or Toronto has more traditional alims as a whole?

Hamood
10-04-2006, 10:02 PM
In what city is Maulana Abdul Ghaffar's madrassa supposed to be?

Lawrenceville, Georgia (North eastern suburb of Atlanta)

Hamood
10-04-2006, 10:04 PM
Khadijah Masjid, Salt Lake City - Maulana Shuaib

Didn't he move to Seattle?

shariff
10-04-2006, 10:40 PM
Didn't he move to Seattle?

He was in SLC when I went to visit in late December of '05.

eTeacher
10-04-2006, 11:14 PM
Maulana Nazim, do you think Chicago or Toronto has more traditional alims as a whole?

Including non-English speaking ones, there must be at least 50 Islamic Scholars in Toronto. What a blessed city :)

shariff
11-04-2006, 01:56 AM
Including non-English speaking ones, there must be at least 50 Islamic Scholars in Toronto. What a blessed city :)

Wowzers...I bet they all wish they lived in Chicago though. ;)

Hamood
11-04-2006, 05:43 AM
Toronto Sharif is one level higher than Chicago Sharif.

Hamood
11-04-2006, 05:47 AM
(*) South Bay Islamic Association Masjid www.sbia.info, Maulana Tahir Anwar (http://www.zaytuna.org/teacherMore.asp?id=27), San Jose, California.

al-Hanbali
11-04-2006, 07:27 AM
Brother Sunnilink, what do you know about Masjid Abdullah? The Imam is (i think) Ustadh Isma'il from Sierra Leone-an old student of Shaykh Abdul Ghaffar.

I think the Bangladeshi brothers name is something like Mushtaq.

IlyasLahoz
11-04-2006, 10:50 AM
Also, for all you Texan Malikis, Shaykh Walead Muhammad is the associate Imam at the Dalals Central Mosque in Richardson Texas.

Hamood
11-04-2006, 04:17 PM
Brother Sunnilink, what do you know about Masjid Abdullah? The Imam is (i think) Ustadh Isma'il from Sierra Leone-an old student of Shaykh Abdul Ghaffar.

I think the Bangladeshi brothers name is something like Mushtaq.

Yes thats right. Imam Ismail. Very active in tabligh effort. Former Imam of Madinah Masjid.

eTeacher
11-04-2006, 08:51 PM
Also, for all you Texan Malikis, Shaykh Walead Muhammad is the associate Imam at the Dalals Central Mosque in Richardson Texas.

If I'm not mistaken, I think the Shaykh moved to UAE. He was recently with Shaykh Habib Ali in Denmark.

Sunni_Student786
15-04-2006, 07:14 AM
I certainly hope that there are more.

Any in the greater Philly metro area?

Regardless, if anyone knows of Masjids, Islamic centers, institutes, etc. headed by Orthodox Ulema in the U.S., please post the names of the masjid or institution, as well as the name of the Alim insha'allah.

Wa'salaam.

MinSid
17-04-2006, 12:48 AM
Masjid Jalalabad, Paterson, NJ = Moulana Amir Uddin

Masjid Umar, Paterson, NJ = Sh. Abdul Khalique

Masjid Nida-ul-Islam, Teaneck, NJ = Mufti Abdul Muqtadir

Madinah Masjid, Manhattan, NY = Qari Yusuf Abdul Majeed

Masjid Al-Falah, Corona, NY = Hafiz Zia

Masjid Baitul Hamd, East Elmhurst, NY = Mufti Jamal Uddin

Masjid Jamea, Brooklyn, NY = Qari Ruhullah

Sunnyside/Woodside Jame Masjid, Sunnyside, NY = Moulana Abdul Qadir

Masjid Abu Huraira, Jackson Heights, NY = Moulana Aslam

Masjid Baitul Aman, Bronx, NY = Moulana Ajiruddin

Masjid Madinah, Upper Derby, PA = Moulana Monsurul Haq

North Penn Masjid, Lansdale, PA = Moulana Mustafa

Muslim Community Center, Silver Spring, MD = Moulana Adil

pinkworld
27-09-2008, 04:20 PM
assalamu `alaykum wa rahmatullah
I found this thread when I was looking for traditional mosques in Michigan. I know that the thread is old, but here is my request.

I tried to find something in the state of Michigan and was only able to find two Bangladeshi musallas in the Detroit area and a mosque in Burton (near Flint) under the direction of Sh Kabbani (I think). Does anyone have better information than that?

Muaz bin jabal
27-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Madrasah Islamiyyah founded by Maulana Hafiz Iqbal. www.mihouston.org

Husain
27-09-2008, 04:48 PM
I found this thread when I was looking for traditional mosques in Michigan. I know that the thread is old, but here is my request.

I tried to find something in the state of Michigan and was only able to find two Bangladeshi musallas in the Detroit area and a mosque in Burton (near Flint) under the direction of Sh Kabbani (I think). Does anyone have better information than that?

:ws:

Here is another

Imam Ahmed Abdur rab Rabbani
Imam, Islamic Association of Greater Detroit
879 Auburn road, Rochester Hills
Michigan 48307.
Office: 248-852-5657

shatibi
27-09-2008, 05:57 PM
I certainly hope that there are more.

Any in the greater Philly metro area?

Regardless, if anyone knows of Masjids, Islamic centers, institutes, etc. headed by Orthodox Ulema in the U.S., please post the names of the masjid or institution, as well as the name of the Alim insha'allah.

Wa'salaam.

Have you seen Masjid Al Madinah?

I was there once in jamaat, the imam was an alim from Bangladesh at the time.

Also, isn't there Maulana Zubair in Philadelphia? He came to the weekly city mashwarah at Masjid al Madinah when I was there. He's African American, but I've heard he speaks Urdu!

alfatiha
29-09-2008, 03:15 AM

what? nobody has yet to mention Darul Uloom al-Madania? :)

eTeacher
29-09-2008, 04:12 AM

Mufti Abdur Rahman Mangera's younger brother is at the Tawheed Center in Farmington Hills, Michigan. Here's the masjid website:

http://www.tawheedcenter.org/

The Imam's name is Qari Sohel.

pinkworld
30-09-2008, 09:35 PM
Barakallahu bikum. Thank you all for the help.

mohammad_ibn_haroon
30-09-2008, 09:53 PM

What city in michigan are you looking for?

pinkworld
02-10-2008, 05:09 PM
What city in michigan are you looking for?

assalamu `alaykum
Several regions, actually: The Saginaw-Bay City-Midland tri-city area, the greater Flint area, the Detroit area - just about anything out here. I am looking for any traditional musalla, even if it not necessarily headed by a mufti.

shatibi
02-10-2008, 10:48 PM

There's also Mufti Akbar Saleem (grad. of Nadwa) in Masjid al Mustafa, Houston, TX

MinSid
21-08-2009, 06:40 PM
Masjid Jalalabad - Imam- ML Abdul Aleem, Muazzin - ML Abdul Halim

Danbury CT Masjid - ML Imran Sharif

suhailp
22-08-2009, 06:33 PM
Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem
Assalamu Alaikum

Plano Masid Texas.
Mufti Yaseen Shaikh graduated from Darul Uloom in London under Mufti Farooqe Loharwi DB.

http://www.planomasjid.org/dev/default.asp

Wassalaam

flyingphtm
23-08-2009, 12:27 AM
Assalamu alykum

Mufti Mujeeb graduate deoband
Leads Masjid Umar Al Farooq Mount Lake Terrace subarb of Seattle

Shiekh Fazal went to school in S Africa
Leads Bellevue masjid subarb of seattle

skhkmomin
23-08-2009, 03:37 AM

I know a few Masjids in the Boston Area which are headed by traditional Ulema.
Unfortunately I dont remember the names of the blessed scholars

1. Masjid Basheer (Framingham Boston) headed by Mufti Sb from Deoband
2. Masjid Islam ( Providence Rhode Island) headed by Mufti Sb who is also Deobandi
3. Worcester Islamic centre headed by an Imam from Nigeria who has spent 1 year in Jamaat.

There are few other Masjids which are taken care of by brothers who follow the traditional style but they dont have scholars leading them as yet.

MinSid
27-08-2009, 02:57 PM

I know a few Masjids in the Boston Area which are headed by traditional Ulema.
Unfortunately I dont remember the names of the blessed scholars

1. Masjid Basheer (Framingham Boston) headed by Mufti Sb from Deoband
2. Masjid Islam ( Providence Rhode Island) headed by Mufti Sb who is also Deobandi
3. Worcester Islamic centre headed by an Imam from Nigeria who has spent 1 year in Jamaat.

There are few other Masjids which are taken care of by brothers who follow the traditional style but they dont have scholars leading them as yet.

2).. Mufti Ikram
3) Shaikh Abdul Kareem from Somalia not Nigeria brother don't get the countries mixed up...

Adeel bin Minhaj
27-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Masjid Jalalabad - Imam- ML Abdul Aleem, Muazzin - ML Abdul Halim

Danbury CT Masjid - ML Imran Sharif

:salam: MinSid

you beat me to it !!

I would have written

Hadhrat Maulana Shaykh Mohammed Imran Shariff Danburywala .. hehe

SunniWaqas
29-08-2009, 08:50 PM
2).. Mufti Ikram
3) Shaikh Abdul Kareem from Somalia not Nigeria brother don't get the countries mixed up...

Yep, Shaykh Abdul Karim Hassan (http://seekersofvirtue.com/home/?page_id=13#S1) (db)

Wassalaam

qazwsx123
29-08-2009, 09:22 PM
What is the criteria for 'traditional' majids? Please elaborate.

Most majids are in the USA are open to various schools and thoughts. For example, almost half of the congregants at the Islamic center of America (largest Majid in the USA) are sunni, but the imam is shia.

skhkmomin
30-08-2009, 03:37 AM
2).. Mufti Ikram

:jazak: for correcting me. I visited the masjid only a couple of times hence wasnt sure as such. The other mufti is Mufti Mushtaq Qasmi from India.

How are you brother Minhaj ? Hope you remember me , we met in NYC shura in May.

MinSid
31-08-2009, 03:44 AM
Masha-allah...

What's your name akhi?

Sunni musallees with Shia imam ~ can that be correct? I mean there is some believe deficiencies...

shariff
02-12-2010, 11:56 PM
I just wanted to update the brothers who didnt know. Khadijah Masjid in SLC now has Maulana Shuaib Mater as its imam. What a blessing for that community!!

pinkworld
03-12-2010, 05:51 AM
What is SLC? Alhamdulillah, this is good news, in any case:)

daywalk3r
03-12-2010, 12:40 PM
AsalamssWW - im sure the word 'headed' needs clarification. 99% of all masjids in the USA, Canada and UK are NOT headed by ulama. Ulama/imams are employed as imams or teachers by the Trust who run the masjid. The Trust is made up usually of a few Trustee's and formal Members - who elect a Committee/s to run the masjid on a day-to-day basis . 99% if not 100% of all masjids Trust/Members are non ulama.