PDA

View Full Version : Wudu for Quran?

br_syed
12-07-2006, 10:34 AM
Assalamulaikum

I was wondering if you could help me.

I am trying to learn surahs of the Quran, Arabic as well as translation. So, that I do not waste my time I print off a page of the Surah from www.MuslimAccess.com. I just thought about this that I carry around an English Translation of the Quran

1. which I have been told it is permissible to read if one does not have Wudhu? (Can you clarify/confirm this?)

2. plus, do I need wudhu when reading learning/reading that page from Muslimaccess.com as I just thought about when Umar (radiallah anhu) was told to wash before reading the surah (out of curiosity do you know which one? :) ). Do I need to have wudhu? It is just I read the page when I am on the bus or train where logistically I can not make wudhu immediately.

Please, please, please do not give me a happy/pal answer. I don't care whether the answer is a straight NO. I just need the CORRECT answer and insha'allah with your duas as well Allah will make it easier.

Walaikum salaam

violentvinny
12-07-2006, 10:39 AM
Asalam Alaikum

1. I think you need wudhu to read english translation because they are the words of Allah as similar if they in Arabic. Regardless of the language they are the words of Allah.

2. If reading from the internet where you are not touching paper or the book therefore dont need Wudhu but if you carry the pages of the Quran and are going to read on the bus then you do need wudhu.

Hope that helped.

violentvinny
12-07-2006, 10:44 AM
Something that may come of your interest.

It is permissible to recite the Quraan without Wudhu. Yes, to touch the Quraan without Wudhu is prohibited.

Also, to recite the Quraan as it appears on your computer screen without Wudhu is permissible. However, do not touch the screen without Wudhu whilst the Qur?aan appears on it.

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best.

br_syed
12-07-2006, 10:54 AM
Asalam Alaikum

1. I think you need wudhu to read english translation because they are the words of Allah as similar if they in Arabic. Regardless of the language they are the words of Allah.

2. If reading from the internet where you are not touching paper or the book therefore dont need Wudhu but if you carry the pages of the Quran and are going to read on the bus then you do need wudhu.

Hope that helped.

Assalamulaikum

Jazakallah Khair Bruv.

Walaikum salaam

layman
12-07-2006, 11:15 AM
In the hanafi school, yes, you need wudhu to touch a translation of the Quran.

MustafaKamal
12-07-2006, 12:07 PM
Br Laymen could I ask for a source - I was looking on sunni path and Ask Imam - but couldn't find anything.

I've always heard that since the translation isn't really a translation but an interpretation - wudu isn't necessary to hold it as long as it doesn't have the arabic. Though this is just hear-say.

I didn't know there was a difference of opinion regarding this.

:jazak:
:salam:

layman
12-07-2006, 12:26 PM
http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=5&CATE=30

MustafaKamal
12-07-2006, 04:35 PM
:jazak:

MRahman
12-07-2006, 05:40 PM
Assalamulaikum

I was wondering if you could help me.

I am trying to learn surahs of the Quran, Arabic as well as translation. So, that I do not waste my time I print off a page of the Surah from www.MuslimAccess.com. I just thought about this that I carry around an English Translation of the Quran

1. which I have been told it is permissible to read if one does not have Wudhu? (Can you clarify/confirm this?)

2. plus, do I need wudhu when reading learning/reading that page from Muslimaccess.com as I just thought about when Umar (radiallah anhu) was told to wash before reading the surah (out of curiosity do you know which one? :) ). Do I need to have wudhu? It is just I read the page when I am on the bus or train where logistically I can not make wudhu immediately.

Please, please, please do not give me a happy/pal answer. I don't care whether the answer is a straight NO. I just need the CORRECT answer and insha'allah with your duas as well Allah will make it easier.

Salaam, according to the hanafi texts (mukhtasar al-quduri and noorul eedah), to touch the quran, wudhu is required (fard) . thus cannot be read without wudhu, however it is from the adab to even do wudu to touch books of knowledge.

In regards to translations and tafseers, it is waajib to perform wudhu. However, this is only when the english and the arabic are equal in quantity, however if there is more english, then you do not need wudhu. But it is best to have wudhu.

Allah knows best!!!!