24-11-2004, 10:02 PM
I was wondering what I should with a load of free literature that I have collected during the years of not being aware of their divergence from the Ahl ul sunnah. The problem is that a lot of the literature contains translated verses of the qur'an so I do not know hat do with them.
24-11-2004, 10:10 PM
How to get Rid of Unwanted Literature
Answered by Sidi Faraz Rabbani
I myself follow a madhhab, but have in my possession a lot of salafi books and literature. I am looking for advise on what to do with it. Do you think its ok to give it away to those I know are salafi, or should I destroy the info or what? Advise on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
1. It is not necessary to get rid of such literature, unless one fears that it will (now or in the future) harm one’s understanding of the religion.
2. If one does have this fear, then it would be improper to give the Salafi literature to others, except people of knowledge who may have sound uses for it.
3. Instead, if one does decide to get rid of it, the right thing would be as follows:
Imam Haskafi said in his Durr al-Mukhtar,
“1. Those books that are no longer benefited from: One should wipe away the names of Allah, His Angels, and Messengers, and burn the rest.
“2. There is nothing wrong with casting them into a flowing river as they are [f: i.e. without wiping away those names].
“3. Alternatively, they can be buried [f: Ibn Abidin mentions from al-Dhakhira that is it best that they be wrapped in something pure first]. This is best…” [Durr al-Mukhtar ma`a Radd al-Muhtar, 5.271, Bulaq ed.]
4. It is not permitted, however, to burn copies of the Qur’an, even if they are no longer being used. [al-Fatawa al-Hindiyya 5.323, quoting al-Dhakhira, which based its ruling on what Imam Muhammad ibn al-Hasan stated in his Siyar al-Kabir]
5. If one needs to dispose of them, they should be respectfully buried, as explained above. [ibid.]
6. It is not blameworthy to have extra copies of the Qu’ran, as one still benefits from them through their baraka, as the texts explain.
And Allah alone gives success.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.