PDA

View Full Version : What was our beloved Prophet Muhammad (saas) saying on abuse against women?

Karkora
04-06-2007, 03:32 PM
Bismillah
Assalamo aleikom wa rahmatu Allah wa barakathu

I have a rather discussable question conserning something i've read which made me question the truth in it. The question is as the topic says:
"What was our beloved Prophet (saas) saying on abuse against women?"

Something that shocked me, while also beeing the reason that made me write her with hopes that some brothers or sister could help, is these following traditions:

Bukhari (72:715) - A woman came to Muhammad and begged her to stop her husband from beating her. Her skin was bruised so badly that she it is described as being "greener" than the green veil she was wearing. Muhammad did not admonish her husband, but instead ordered her to return to him and submit to his sexual desires.

Muslim (4:2127) - Muhammad struck his favorite wife, Aisha, in the chest one evening when she left the house without his permission. Aisha narrates, "He struck me on the chest which caused me pain."

Now, are these sahih traditions fabricated?
Please provide sourses as much as you can for what you write. Try to make difference between your own thoughts and proof from the Islamic Sharia, The Holy Quran or Sunnah.

Wasaalam

Aida_visting
05-06-2007, 05:00 PM
:?:

nauk
06-06-2007, 12:40 AM
Second one is yeah!

Paradise One
07-06-2007, 03:02 AM
Salamu Alaikum

If there are any scholars here who would be able to shed some light on these ahadith, regarding what the meaning of them could be, it would be GREATLY appreciated.

also, if anyone here has connections with a scholar, please ask them about it.

JazakAllah Khair guys.

((Paradise One))

Yahya Ibn Sal
07-06-2007, 03:19 AM
What do you mean if they are authentic? They are in posted from sahih, and likewise i have seen them else where in books from the same books(bukhari, muslim) so... Are you asking if they are sahih, like someone might be saying they are from these books but they are really not? Or are you saying that are they not sahih even though they are in sahih? a bit confusing...

Paradise One
07-06-2007, 04:05 AM
I apologize brother,

I edited my post so that it would be less confusing.
To be honest, I kinda just skimmed through the first post so fast that I guess I didnt see that the hadiths were from Imam Bukhari and Muslim

masalam

Sunni_Student786
07-06-2007, 04:50 AM
The first hadith has been poorly paraphrased (as it is not being quoted exactly from Bukhari) and the second has not been put into context.

There was another thread on here a few months back wherein the second hadith was explained quite well which put it into context. The striking of the Rasul (peace be upon him) was not one meant to cause pain or to discipline, but rid one of Shaitaani influence.

I will see if I can find that thread insha'allah and post a link to it.

Yahya Ibn Sal
07-06-2007, 02:21 PM
As for the hadith concerning Aisha radiallahu anha, I have it in a book that says.
Muslim.

Related by way of Harun ibn saed al ayle that abdullah ibn wahb informed him that ibn jareeh informed him on the authority of abdillah ibn kathir al mutlab that he heard muhammed ibn qays sai "I hear Aisha talking and she said 'shall i inform you of something about me and the prophet?' we said yes' she said When it was my turn for the messenger of Allah alayi salaam to spend the night with me, he put on his upper garment and took of his shoes and put them by his bed, he spread the corner of his lower garment on his bed and then laid down untill he thought that i had gone to slee. He took his upper garment slowly and put on his shoes slowly, and then he opened the door, went out, and closed the door slowly. I covered my head, put on my veil and tightened my lower garment, and then i follow his steps until he reached al Baqee(a graveyard close to the masjid) He stood there for a very long time, and then lifted his hands three times, and then he started to head back, So i started to head back. He hurried up, so i hurried up, He ran, so i ran. He came to the house as i came to the house, however i beat him there, so i entered and as i lay down in bed he entered the house and said'

"Oh Aisha why are you out of breath?"I said it is nothing,
He said"Tell me or the most kind the ever aware will tell me"
I said Messenger of Allah may my father and mother be ranson for you, and then i told him' He said, Was it your shadow that i saw in front of me?
I said "Yes". He struck me on the chest, which hurt me and said:
'Did you think that Allah and his messenger would wrong you?'
"I said Whatever people conceal Allah the mighty and majestic knows, He said

"Yes jibreel came to me when you saw me he called me and hid from you. I responded to his call, but i hid from you. He did not come in because you were not dressed. I thought that you had gone to sleep, and I ddid not want to wake you up because i was afraid that you would feel abandoned' He said" Your lord has comanded you to go to go to the inhabitants of al baqee and seek forgiveness ofr them.

'I said, How can i speak to them o messenger of Allah?"
He said,Say Peace be upon the inhabitants of this city from among the believers and the muslims, and may allah have mercy on those who have gone ahead of us and those who will come later, and we shall God willing join you"

Karkora
12-06-2007, 01:02 PM
Bismillah
Assalamo aleikom WR WB

Thanks all for the answers, I'm still confused though.

Sunni_Student786 - it would be great if you could find that thread!

Jazak Allah khayr
WS

mohammadgaffer
16-08-2013, 03:46 AM
Assalamu alykum warahmatullahi wabarakaatuh. I thank you for raising these hadith to us, as there are many web sites those posts hadith with wrong intentions, we need to beware of that, In sha Allah, I am going to give you proper response in this issue.

The references are correct of those hadiths but the meaning and completely hadiths have been turned down intentionally to show up that Islam allows to beat women, whereas the complete and authentic hadiths bear something else, and it will clear after reading all those authentic hadith as below.

In Islam wife bashing/beating is totally Haram. There is no room in any way that we may think to beat them or other way round, we do not know the proper Islamic ways but we yet blame the Islam. may the Almighty guide us to the truth.

So, complete and authentic hadiths are as follow:

1. For Bukhari 72:715 the complete hadith is:

Bukhari :: Book 7 :: Volume 72 :: Hadith 715

Narrated 'Ikrima:

Rifa'a divorced his wife whereupon 'AbdurRahman bin Az-Zubair Al-Qurazi married her. 'Aisha said that the lady (came), wearing a green veil (and complained to her (Aisha) of her husband and showed her a green spot on her skin caused by beating). It was the habit of ladies to support each other, so when Allah's Apostle came, 'Aisha said, "I have not seen any woman suffering as much as the believing women. Look! Her skin is greener than her clothes!" When 'AbdurRahman heard that his wife had gone to the Prophet, he came with his two sons from another wife. She said, "By Allah! I have done no wrong to him but he is impotent and is as useless to me as this," holding and showing the fringe of her garment, 'Abdur-Rahman said, "By Allah, O Allah's Apostle! She has told a lie! I am very strong and can satisfy her but she is disobedient and wants to go back to Rifa'a." Allah's Apostle said, to her, "If that is your intention, then know that it is unlawful for you to remarry Rifa'a unless Abdur-Rahman has had sexual intercourse with you." Then the Prophet saw two boys with 'Abdur-Rahman and asked (him), "Are these your sons?" On that 'AbdurRahman said, "Yes." The Prophet said, "You claim what you claim (i.e.. that he is impotent)? But by Allah, these boys resemble him as a crow resembles a crow," Hadith ends.

2. For Muslim 4:2127 the complete hadith is:

Muslim :: Book 4 : Hadith 2127

Muhammad b. Qais said (to the people): Should I not narrate to you (a hadith of the Holy Prophet) on my authority and on the authority of my mother? We thought that he meant the mother who had given him birth. He (Muhammad b. Qais) then reported that it was 'A'isha who had narrated this: Should I not narrate to you about myself and about the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him)? We said: Yes. She said: When it was my turn for Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) to spend the night with me, he turned his side, put on his mantle and took off his shoes and placed them near his feet, and spread the corner of his shawl on his bed and then lay down till he thought that I had gone to sleep. He took hold of his mantle slowly and put on the shoes slowly, and opened the door and went out and then closed it lightly. I covered my head, put on my veil and tightened my waist wrapper, and then went out following his steps till he reached Baqi'. He stood there and he stood for a long time. He then lifted his hands three times, and then returned and I also returned. He hastened his steps and I also hastened my steps. He ran and I too ran. He came (to the house) and I also came (to the house). I, however, preceded him and I entered (the house), and as I lay down in the bed, he (the Holy Prophet) entered the (house), and said: Why is it, O 'A'isha, that you are out of breath? I said: There is nothing. He said: Tell me or the Subtle and the Aware would inform me. I said: Messenger of Allah, may my father and mother be ransom for you, and then I told him (the whole story). He said: Was it the darkness (of your shadow) that I saw in front of me? I said: Yes. He struck me on the chest which caused me pain, and then said: Did you think that Allah and His Apostle would deal unjustly with you? She said: Whatsoever the people conceal, Allah will know it. He said: Gabriel came to me when you saw me. He called me and he concealed it from you. I responded to his call, but I too concealed it from you (for he did not come to you), as you were not fully dressed. I thought that you had gone to sleep, and I did not like to awaken you, fearing that you may be frightened. He (Gabriel) said: Your Lord has commanded you to go to the inhabitants of Baqi' (to those lying in the graves) and beg pardon for them. I said: Messenger of Allah, how should I pray for them (How should I beg forgiveness for them)? He said: Say, Peace be upon the inhabitants of this city (graveyard) from among the Believers and the Muslims, and may Allah have mercy on those who have gone ahead of us, and those who come later on, and we shall, God willing, join you. Hadith ends.

3. For Muslim 9:3506 the complete hadith is:

'The Book of Divorce (Kitab Al-Talaq)' of Sahih Muslim, hadith no 3506

Jabir b. 'Abdullah (Allah be pleased with them) reported: Abu Bakr (Allah be pleased with him) came and sought permission to see Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him). He found people sitting at his door and none amongst them had been granted permission, but it was granted to Abu Bakr and he went in. Then came 'Umar and he sought permission and it was granted to him, and he found Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) sitting sad and silent with his wives around him. He (Hadrat 'Umar) said: I would say something which would make the Holy Prophet (may peace be upon him) laugh, so he said: Messenger of Allah, I wish you had seen (the treatment meted out to) the daughter ofKhadija when you asked me some money, and I got up and slapped her on her neck. Allah's Messenger (mav peace be upon him) laughed and said: They are around me as you see, asking for extra money. Abu Bakr (Allah be pleased with him) then got up went to 'A'isha (Allah be pleased with her) and slapped her on the neck, and 'Umar stood up before Hafsa and slapped her saying: You ask Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) which he does not possess. They said: By Allah, we do not ask Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) for anything he does not possess. Then he withdrew from them for a month or for twenty-nine days. Then this verse was revealed to him:" Prophet: Say to thy wives... for a mighty reward" (xxxiii. 28). He then went first to 'A'isha (Allah be pleased with her) and said: I want to propound something to you, 'A'isha, but wish no hasty reply before you consult your parents. She said: Messenger of Allah, what is that? He (the Holy Prophet) recited to her the verse, whereupon she said: Is it about you that I should consult my parents, Messenger of Allah? Nay, I choose Allah, His Messenger, and the Last Abode; but I ask you not to tell any of your wives what I have said He replied: Not one of them will ask me without my informing her. God did not send me to be harsh, or cause harm, but He has sent me to teach and make things easy. Hadith ends.

I hope I have made it clear to you. JazakAllahu Khair. Muhammad. (Find me in Facebook: Muhammad Mhahmuh Ibn Gaffer]