PDA

View Full Version : Issue of tathweeb in (fajr) adhan?

samrqandi
02-07-2004, 10:53 AM
salaam alaikum

brothers and sisters i just wanted some clarification on this issue since i have read a tradition as recorded by ibn majah and narrated by ibn umar that he didnt approve of reading tathweeb yanee the 'assalaatul khairum minaa nowm' in the fajr adhaan and said it is a bida3. i would like to know how authentic this report is and what is the response of the scholars that say its is permissable. i know there is a jamhur stance on it. but however some argue that jamhur can sometimes be wrong as well?

Anyway the tradtion goes as follows (so i would like to see the responses insha allah, also the trans of the arabic can have a few mistakes so excuse me for that):

‏دثنا ‏ ‏أحمد بن منيع ‏ ‏حدثنا ‏ ‏أبو أحمد الزبيري ‏ ‏حدثنا ‏ ‏أبو إسرائيل ‏‏ ‏عن ‏ ‏الحكم ‏ ‏عن ‏ ‏عبد الرحمن بن أبي ليلى ‏ ‏عن ‏ ‏بلال ‏ ‏قال ‏
‏قال لي رسول الله ‏ ‏صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏ ‏لا ‏ ‏تثوبن ‏ ‏في شيء من الصلوات إلا في صلاة الفجر ‏
‏قال ‏ ‏وفي ‏ ‏الباب ‏ ‏عن ‏ ‏أبي محذورة ‏ ‏قال ‏ ‏أبو عيسى ‏ ‏حديث ‏ ‏بلال ‏ ‏لا نعرفه ‏ ‏إلا من حديث ‏ ‏أبي إسرائيل الملائي ‏ ‏وأبو إسرائيل ‏ ‏لم يسمع هذا الحديث من ‏ ‏الحكم بن عتيبة ‏ ‏قال ‏ ‏إنما ‏ ‏رواه عن ‏ ‏الحسن بن عمارة ‏ ‏عن ‏ ‏الحكم بن عتيبة ‏ ‏وأبو إسرائيل ‏ ‏اسمه ‏ ‏إسمعيل بن أبي إسحق ‏ ‏وليس هو بذاك القوي عند أهل الحديث ‏ ‏وقد اختلف أهل العلم في تفسير التثويب ‏ ‏فقال ‏ ‏بعضهم التثويب أن يقول في أذان الفجر الصلاة خير من النوم وهو قول ‏ ‏ابن المبارك ‏ ‏وأحمد ‏ ‏و قال ‏ ‏إسحق ‏ ‏في التثويب غير هذا قال التثويب المكروه هو شيء أحدثه الناس بعد النبي ‏ ‏صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏ ‏إذا أذن المؤذن فاستبطأ القوم قال بين الأذان والإقامة قد قامت الصلاة حي على الصلاة حي على الفلاح ‏ ‏قال ‏ ‏وهذا الذي قال ‏ ‏إسحق ‏ ‏هو التثويب الذي قد كرهه أهل العلم والذي أحدثوه بعد النبي ‏ ‏صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏ ‏والذي فسر ‏ ‏ابن المبارك ‏ ‏وأحمد ‏ ‏أن التثويب أن يقول المؤذن في أذان الفجر الصلاة خير من النوم وهو قول صحيح ويقال له التثويب أيضا وهو الذي اختاره أهل العلم ورأوه ‏ ‏وروي ‏ ‏عن ‏ ‏عبد الله بن عمر ‏ ‏أنه ‏ ‏كان يقول في صلاة الفجر الصلاة خير من النوم ‏ ‏وروي ‏ ‏عن ‏ ‏مجاهد ‏ ‏قال ‏ ‏دخلت مع ‏ ‏عبد الله بن عمر ‏ ‏مسجدا وقد أذن فيه ونحن نريد أن نصلي فيه فثوب المؤذن فخرج ‏ ‏عبد الله بن عمر ‏ ‏من المسجد وقال ‏ ‏اخرج بنا من عند هذا المبتدع ولم يصل فيه ‏ ‏قال ‏ ‏وإنما كره ‏ ‏عبد الله ‏ ‏التثويب الذي أحدثه الناس بعد
We were told by Ahmad ibn mani’: we were told by abu Ahmad az-zubayri: we were told by Abu Israel narrated from alHakam from Abd ar-Rahman ibn Abi Layla from Bilal he said: I was told by the Prophet (saw) “Don’t “do tathweeb” in any part of the prayers except in salat al fajr” (not sure about the translation).
He said: and in the chapter, it was narrated from abi Mahthurah: Abu ‘isa said: the hadith of Bilal is unknown to us if it weren’t for Abi Israel al Mala’i(??) and Abu Israel never heard this hadith from al Hakam ibn ‘utaybah. He said: Rather, it was narrated by alHasan ibn ‘amarah from alHakam ibn ‘utaybah and Abu Israel’s name is: Isma’il ibn Abi Ishaaq and he isn’t very strong in the eyes of the people of hadith. Also, there’s has been some differences in opinions among the people of knowledge about the word “tathweeb” (I translated it as ‘yawn’). Some of them said that tathweeb means: to say “as salatu khairon min an-nawm” in the athan for salat al fajr. And this is what Ibn Mubarak and Ahmad. Ishaaq said about tathweeb other than this. He said tathweeb is makrooh and it’s something the people made up after the Prophet (saw) if the mua’thin recites the athaan and the people were being slow, he says between the athaan and the iqamah: qad qamatis-salah… hayya ‘alas-salat…hayya ‘alal-falah. This is what Ishaaq said was tathweeb which was made makrooh by the people of knowledge and which they made up after the prophet (saw). Ibn Mubarak and Ahmad said that tathweeb means that the mu’athin says in the athaan for salat al fajr: “as salatu khairon min an-nawm” and this is correct and this is what is known as tathweeb and this is what the people of knowledge have chosen [as the correct meaning]. It was narrated from Abullah ibn Omar that he used to say during salat al fajr: “as salatu khairon min an nawm”. And it was narrated from Mujahed, he said: I entered with Abdullah ibn Omar into a masjid in which we wanted to pray in. Then, the mu’athin did tathweeb and Abdullah ibn Omar went out of the masjid and said: Lets go out from this innovator’s place. And he didn’t pray in it. He said: Abdullah disliked the tathweeb that people made up after…

wassalaam alaikum

samrqandi
02-07-2004, 10:58 AM
also i forgot to say the jumhur stance since one of the bro's got it form a sharh to one of the hadeeth books, i need to get the refereence insha allah, but it goes as follows:

وذهب الشافعي ومالك وأحمد وجمهور العلماء إلى أن الترجيع في الأذان ثابت لهذا الحديث وهو حديث صحيح مشتمل على زيادة غير منافية

wassalaam alaikum

Usman
20-06-2005, 06:18 PM
In Muwatta Imam Muhammad, an Athar has been mentioned through Imam Malik (Rahimahullah) - Babul Adhan wal Tathweeb. This was ordered by Syyidina Umar (Radhi Allahu Ahn).

waAllahu allam,

abu jamaal
11-07-2005, 06:59 PM
as-salaamu alaikum:
dear brother samrqandi: your original quote is from jami tirmizi. the abu isa in the arabic you did not translate the name is the name of imam tirmizi.
the hadith you quoted by mujahid when he when with ibn umar (ra) you can find in sunnan abu dawood. in the hadith it said they entered the masjid for zuhr or asr prayers, it clearly states this in the hadith. so this is not against the jamhoor as it is not related to fajr.
now check sunnan ibn majah and you will find the imam zuhri states that bilal was order to do say the words "prayer is better than sleep" by the Holy Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) himself. bilal had finished the azan and walked by the prophet's house and found him (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) sleeping and said: prayer is better than sleep. the prophet (sallallaahu alaihi wasallam) then ordered bilal (ra) to add this to the fajr azan. in the footnote in ibn majah for this hadith it mentions another hadith in nisai that the narrator ibn mahthoora states he added the words prayer is better than sleep and hazrat umar (ra) told him to include it in the fajr salaat. so going further in the footnote in ibn majah it says that this phrase was started by bilal (ra) after he was ordered to say it by the holy prophet (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) and it was discontinued and restarted again at the time of umar.
finally it you get a hold of imam tahawi's maani athaar there is a whole chapter on this issue complete with references of all the hadiths. and yes the jamhoor can be wrong but remember the hadith that this ummat will not unite on error and the hand of Allah is over the group.
i hope i didn't waste too much of your time perhaps what is written above can prove helpful for you.
was salaam
abu jamaal