PDA

View Full Version : Pig Skin in Shoes - Some Information

amjedm
29-11-2007, 11:32 PM
:salam:

I believe some Muslims are not aware of the use of pig skin leather in the manufacture of shoes so I'd like to post some information.

I wasn't aware shoes contained pig skin and neither was I aware it was impermissible to purchase/use these shoes, until I came across the following question/answer

Fataawa

http://www.gmwa.org.uk/foodguide2/index.php?page=viewquestion&id=151

The above question/answer links to the following fataawa

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=2075&CATE=137 - Are you wearing pig skin?

http://www.daruliftaa.com/question.asp?txt_QuestionID=q-09435539 - Permissibility to use Leather Sofa/Couch

Imam al-Quduri (Allah have mercy on him) states:

“Any skin which has been tanned has become clean, hence prayer is valid on it, and wudu from it - except the skin of a pig and human (m: human skin due to its honour).” (al-Lubab fi sharh al-Kitab, 1/47)

Shoe Shops/Manufacturers

The following companies can advise which of their shoes contain pig skin

Clarks - www.clarks.co.uk - customerreplies@Clarks.com / 08444 77 77 44

Hush Puppies - www.hushpuppies.co.uk - http://www.hushpuppies.co.uk/en-GB/general/Contact.aspx / 0116 281 4300

Barratts - http://www.barratts.co.uk/ - http://www.barratts.co.uk/o/contact/Contact_Us.html / 01274 893845

Marks and Spencer - http://www.marksandspencer.com - RetailCustomer.Services@marks-and-spencer.com / 0845 302 1234

I have a short list of shoes (from Clarks/Barrats/M&S) that I've compiled from the email replies. Please let me know if I should post this list.

Unfortunately, Asda/George were unable to advise which shoes contained pig skin.

Important Note

If a shoe contains a soft leather lining - this will (in my opinion) most likely be pig skin.

Help from Allah :taala:

When I found out that the Clarks shoes I had purchased a year or two may contain pig skin, I was quite worried. I no longer had the boxes so couldn't identify which style they were. After some research, :alhamd:, thuma :alhamd: I now have shoes which :insh: do not contain pig skin.

Request for Dua

If you find the above information useful, please remember me in your Duas.

:ws:

fahid
30-11-2007, 01:36 AM
As Salamu Alaikum

I still don't get how shoes that use Pigs as a source are Haram? Isn't it something that is to be avoided or offensive? I assume it's based on deductive analogy and not from the Qur'an and Hadiths unless I'm mistaken. Allah knows best.

Husain
30-11-2007, 08:14 AM
As Salamu Alaikum

I still don't get how shoes that use Pigs as a source are Haram? Isn't it something that is to be avoided or offensive? I assume it's based on deductive analogy and not from the Qur'an and Hadiths unless I'm mistaken. Allah knows best.

It is based on the Ayah:
أَوْ لَحْمَ خِنْزِيرٍ فَإِنَّهُ رِجْسٌ

"or the meat of the pig, for it is filth."

The part "for it is filth" is taken to refer to the pig and not just its meat, thus the pig is Najis al-Ain ie. every portion of it is impure.

There does exist some difference between the madhahib on this issue, however this is the Hanafi view.

And Allah Ta'ala knows best

GenN
30-11-2007, 10:26 AM
Assalmu alaykum,

Thanks for the above info.

When i first came across the issue I found it very difficult to get around. It is not just about shoes, but the belt you are wearing could also be pig skin, as could some of the lining on your coat and other clothes that are leather, or even your leather sofas at home or leather seats in the car.

Now this was worrying, and made life very difficult, and I was no leather expert, the answers given at

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...=2075&CATE=137 - Are you wearing pig skin?

http://www.daruliftaa.com/question.a...nID=q-09435539 - Permissibility to use Leather Sofa/Couch

just did not give enough detail for me to distinguish between differnet types of leathers, and I could not find any other info on the net. Neither could the guys at the shops help, they were just retailers and just did not have a clue, even leather retailers.

Anyway, alhamdullillah i found a solution. I came across a key cutting shop that also REPAIRED shoes and bags and such stuff. The guy in there just by touching the material could tell me if it was pig skin, young cow, old cow etc.

So i guess what I am saying is that if you are not sure (which is probably most of you as I doubt we have many leather experts here) then look for "shoe repairers in your area, or bag repairers or something like that as repairers will know abouyt the materials they work with inshAllah. Take your shoes, belts, clothes in there and get it confirmed.

was salaam

Shaykh Timbuktu
30-11-2007, 11:04 AM
There does exist some difference between the madhahib on this issue,

As-salamu 'alaykom, as you mentioned brother there does exist a difference of opinion, from what I know the difference exists based on the authentic report of the Messenger (saas) in Saheeh Muslim when there was a dead sheep outside the house of Maymouna (r.a) the wife of the Messenger (saas), the Messenger (saas) inquired as to why the sheep had been left there and people answered by saying that the sheep was dead meat (Mayta), and the Messenger (saas) replied by saying what prevented them from using its skin because tanning purifies it (i.e. the skin).

I know Imam Ibnu Hazm (r.h) in his al-Muhallah in Kitaab at-Tahaarah discusses this issue in some depth and gives the varying different views, and also I remember reading that there is a difference of opinion in what Allah ta 'ala was referring to concerning the status of the pig whether it was Rijs (impure) in and of it self or whether it only refers to the meat seeing as though it is that which is edible, and Allah ta 'ala knows best.

fahid
30-11-2007, 01:18 PM
It is based on the Ayah:

The part "for it is filth" is taken to refer to the pig and not just its meat, thus the pig is Najis al-Ain ie. every portion of it is impure.

There does exist some difference between the madhahib on this issue, however this is the Hanafi view.

Jazak Allah Khairun for your response, you are right it is Najasa.

From my understanding, in the Hanafi school, if the pig is used as a source for soap, it is permissible as it is filth transformed (eg. wine to vinegar) correct?

Husain
30-11-2007, 01:32 PM
From my understanding, in the Hanafi school, if the pig is used as a source for soap, it is permissible as it is filth transformed (eg. wine to vinegar) correct?

Correct.
It no more remains a pig, thus the ruling of a pig would cease being applied to it.

kais_1
30-11-2007, 01:47 PM
http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24871&highlight=base+shoes

base shoes london, apparently all made from pig skin

Zaira
30-11-2007, 09:22 PM
I bought some Hush Puppies recently and had to return them because they contained pigskin leather, I did email Hush Puppies (they can confirm the content of various styles) this is just one of their responses to me:

"Hi Zaira

Thank you for your email.

The majority of our shoes are lined with pigskin where they are made
from leather. The reason this is used is because of its durability and
quality. There are some exceptions. If you were to let us know which
style in particular you are interested in then we could try and get more
information for you.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards"

amjedm
01-12-2007, 10:30 PM

It is always best to contact Customer Services in my opinion. The Assistant Manager in one of the shops told me that all their shoes were free of pig skin, I :alhamd: corrected him and advised him which shoes Customer Services had told me contained pig skin.

Many of the Clarks shoes contain pig skin lining. Some of the more expensive ones don't contain it. On the one occasion I explained to the Customer Services person on the phone that I had worn Clarks for several years (which is true) and I was finding it quite difficult to find any of their shoes free of pig skin. I also explained it was quite frustrating, having to note the names in the shop, then back to the office to phone them and find out all the shoes I'd noted contained pig skin. The person was very helpful after I'd told them the above and :alhamd: I bought a pair.

Unfortunately, none of the companies listed above will provide a list of shoes that contain pig skin, they say no such list exists or not possible to provide one.

Abu Yaseen
02-12-2007, 12:01 PM
salaam'alaikum

There's this Turkish brother, sells leather goods in Leeds, went into his shop and he advise me how to tell the difference- apparently on pigskin you get these tiny pindots in clusters of three I think. Also he said that more expensive shoes would not use pigskin.

wassalaam

faisal-uk
06-01-2008, 04:58 AM
the majority of hush puppie shoes use pig leather. they are famed for it.
i also know that timberland boots contain pig leather in the lining of the boot.

i should also mention that paint brushes - those used by artists to draw pictures and those found in used to paint walls are made from bristles.
theses bristles come from pigs and boars.
its very surprising the number of everyday items made from or containing pig.
whats even more surprising is the number of people, especially muslims, who do not know such things.
i guess this country and the west in general is not made or run for the comfort of muslims!

faisal-uk
06-01-2008, 05:01 AM
believe it or not there is such a thing as vegetarian shoes!
there is a company in the UK that makes them.

faisal-uk
06-01-2008, 05:03 AM
believe it or not there is such a thing as vegetarian shoes!
there is a company in the UK that makes them.

MohammadMufti
06-01-2008, 05:59 AM
It is based on the Ayah:

Asalamu 'Alaikum

Would the same ruling apply to donkey flesh? I don't know if it's ever used for clothing/accessories, but assuming that someone did do this than this would also be impermissible in Hanafi madhab because of the prophet (saw) saying about it's meat رجس?

GenN
06-01-2008, 03:28 PM
most bristles are made from pig skin or boar? So using a paintbrush to paint my walls is haraam?

The_Humble_One
18-01-2008, 07:31 PM
Salam, I found this thread using the search feature because I was having doubts about my belt. My question is even if I can somehow get it verified that the leather is not pig skin, what if it comes from non-zabiha cow skin? Your prayers wouldn't be valid right? So what is the alternative to leather belts!!?

Husain
18-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Leather from non-Zabihah cows is permissible to use.
The only problem is pigskin

The_Humble_One
18-01-2008, 07:47 PM
Leather from non-Zabihah cows is permissible to use.
The only problem is pigskin

Thanks a lot soofi_saheb. May Allah reward you.

snm02020
18-01-2008, 08:36 PM
i searched on google and found some info to differentiate between -pig-cow skin --
"
It is not always possible with the naked eye, especially if there has been some sort of finish added. Pig leather is being used on lots of things now including furniture and for this you would need to look at the leather through a microscope, this will let you see the hair follicles which are different in a pig and a cow and other animals. The formation of the hair follicles and number of them are different in each animal.
3 weeks ago
Source(s):
http://www.LTTsolutions.net
"

ryameen
18-01-2008, 10:46 PM
Assalamualaykum,

I actually have a pair of hush puppies and wore them quite a bit. Supposing that this is made of pigskin do I have to make up all my prayers from that period? Did my wudu break when I wore these shoes?

Revert
19-01-2008, 01:03 AM
Asalaamu Alaikum

I ahve a sincere question so please don't interpret it as inmpetulence as its not, i promise.

I understand that the pig skin is najass, but isn't that a requirement for Salaat? We take off our shoes for Salaat, so how is it still an issue?

Any answers backed up with scholary opinions are more than welcome inshaAllah.

Zaira
19-01-2008, 10:47 AM
Asalaamu Alaikum

I ahve a sincere question so please don't interpret it as inmpetulence as its not, i promise.

I understand that the pig skin is najass, but isn't that a requirement for Salaat? We take off our shoes for Salaat, so how is it still an issue?

Any answers backed up with scholary opinions are more than welcome inshaAllah.
The brother follows the hanafi madhab, so if he did wudu, then wore his shoes touching some part of the pig skin lining, his wudu would then be invalidated. This means even if he did take his shoes off for salah, his wudu has already been broken by touching the najas part of the shoes.

clover
19-01-2008, 11:40 AM
I find it also very hard to find leather shoes that are not pig leather - some imitation leather have the same familiar imprint on the inside of the shoe and most staff assistants have NO clue as to what they're selling.

Not everyone wants to wear synthetic, so my question is, if you do wear shoes that are pig leather, do you know wudu every time you touch it? or is washing your hands sufficient?

Revert
19-01-2008, 04:31 PM
The brother follows the hanafi madhab, so if he did wudu, then wore his shoes touching some part of the pig skin lining, his wudu would then be invalidated. This means even if he did take his shoes off for salah, his wudu has already been broken by touching the najas part of the shoes.

Well I can see how that would be a problem in a public setting, like an Airport or school. But in an everyday Masjid, house situation its not a problem as the Sunnah is to remove shoes before entering.

Thanks for clearing it up! JazakAllah Khair.

Revert
19-01-2008, 04:33 PM
I find it also very hard to find leather shoes that are not pig leather - some imitation leather have the same familiar imprint on the inside of the shoe and most staff assistants have NO clue as to what they're selling.

Not everyone wants to wear synthetic, so my question is, if you do wear shoes that are pig leather, do you know wudu every time you touch it? or is washing your hands sufficient?

Wudu is onoly necessary for Salat and reading the Qur'an (as far as I am aware) so it shoudn't be a problem, but its always best to ask a knowledgable scholar.

Husain
19-01-2008, 06:05 PM

This logic is not sound.

Touching something impure does not render the wudhu invalid.

Assalamualaykum,
I actually have a pair of hush puppies and wore them quite a bit. Supposing that this is made of pigskin do I have to make up all my prayers from that period? Did my wudu break when I wore these shoes?

There are a number of hush puppy shoes and sandals that are not made of pig-skin.

Even if your shoes were pig-skin, as long as you weren't wearing them during your salah, your salah is valid.
Wearing them does not break the wudhu.
Yes, one would be sinful for using that whose usage is forbidden.

There are dozens of makes of shoes made from non pig-skin.
Shop around a bit more.

Touching it will only necessitate washing the hands, if some effect of the pig-skin passed onto the hands, which doesn't happen in leather.
Touching it does not break the wudhu.

However one should bear in mind that usage of pig-skin is haram, at all times, regardless of whether one is in salah or not, therefore one wearing such items would be sinful.

ryameen
19-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Assalamualaykum Mufti Sahab,

I have not worn the shoes for a long time, but I didn't know that it was made of pig skin. In this case am I sinful for wearing it? I had no knowledge.

faisal-uk
19-01-2008, 08:19 PM
soofi saheb,

was the sister not correct in saying that wet feet in contact with pig skin shoes would invalidate the wudu?

this is what on of the scholars on islam channel said.

Husain
19-01-2008, 08:22 PM
Yes, it is incorrect.

If wet feet touched something najis, then the feet have to be washed.
The wudhu doesn't break.

faisal-uk
19-01-2008, 08:27 PM
i would just like to sat that i made a few inquiries regarding leather from a manufacturer, and they said that before it was traditional to use cow hide in the use of furniture etc, but now that a lot of leather furniture - sofas etc, and leather clothes and shoes are manufactured in china - a country where a huge amount of pork is eaten and thus have a lot of pig skin available, many products including sofas and shoes are now made from pig skin.

i would recommend, to be on the safe side, that it is best to avoid such products made in china.

Revert
19-01-2008, 10:36 PM

However one should bear in mind that usage of pig-skin is haram, at all times, regardless of whether one is in salah or not, therefore one wearing such items would be sinful.

As-salaamu alaikum Mufti saheb..i wans't aware you were a scholar.

What is the reasoning behind Pig Skin being Haraam? Is this just in the Hanafi Madhab or true of all Madhabs?

Husain
20-01-2008, 04:53 PM
As-salaamu alaikum Mufti saheb..i wans't aware you were a scholar.

What is the reasoning behind Pig Skin being Haraam? Is this just in the Hanafi Madhab or true of all Madhabs?

See the third post of this thread.

Revert
20-01-2008, 05:04 PM

JazakAllah Khair

clover
20-01-2008, 09:18 PM
I agree with br Faisal, alot of products made in China, use pig leather - there are just too many pigs, and combined with the cheap labour, its good for companies trying to make $$.

clover
20-01-2008, 09:19 PM
Assalamualaykum,

What about hush puppies sold in Malaysia, do they use pig leather as well? Does anyone know?

Guardian Angel
21-01-2008, 07:57 AM
salaam'alaikum

There's this Turkish brother, sells leather goods in Leeds, went into his shop and he advise me how to tell the difference- apparently on pigskin you get these tiny pindots in clusters of three I think. Also he said that more expensive shoes would not use pigskin.

wassalaam

Ditto. Pig hair grows in groups of three. Look for pin holes. Its really easy, you don't even need to look that hard, alhamdullillah.

These are the best pics I could find... sorry if these have already been posted:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.momineen.com/images/pgskn-1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp%3FHD%3D1%26ID%3D2075%26CATE%3D137&h=437&w=403&sz=25&hl=en&start=7&tbnid=MSrFA-TKLC09zM:&tbnh=126&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpig%2Bskin%26gbv%3D2%26svnum%3D10%26h l%3Den

MohammadMufti
21-01-2008, 03:20 PM

Asalamu 'Alaikum

Would the same ruling apply to donkey flesh? I don't know if it's ever used for clothing/accessories, but assuming that someone did do this than this would also be impermissible in Hanafi madhab because of the prophet (saw) saying about it's meat رجس?

Husain
21-01-2008, 05:29 PM

Donkey flesh is haram in the Hanafi madhab.

The ruling of pigskin would not apply to donkeyskin, as the word rijs was used for the meat of the donkey, not for the entire animal, while the entire pig was classified as rijs.

MohammadMufti
24-01-2008, 08:11 AM
JazakAllahKhair

The_Humble_One
27-01-2008, 05:32 PM
Salam all,

Thanks for answering all the questions. May Allah reward you.

The information of touching it not breaking the wudu was very helpful. I was wondering though whether your prayer would be legally valid if you were wearing a pig skin as a belt or wallet during salah?

Abdullah Mohammad
28-01-2008, 04:59 PM
Salam,
I love Sandals :cheesygri and I buy them from Kmart. They are nice brown Leather Sandals from a company called Thom McAn, does anyone know if they use pork leather? I have three pairs of them, I also have a pair from Route 66.

Street Scholar
15-02-2008, 11:23 PM
Salamalaikum,

I have a book "Al-Fiqh al-Islami According to the Hanafi Madhhab" by Sh Mohammad Akram Nadwi. In it, purifying a hide is discussed and it states "scholars agree that tanning purifies the hide and the fur of any dead animal. However, they disagree on whether tanning can purify the hide of a pig. Abu Yusuf holds that it can. Considering this view, boots, shoes, belts or anything else made of tanned pig's hide are allowed."

It is extremely hard to not only avoid purchasing things made of pig leather (due to companies not really knowing what kind of leather it is, since some of it is "genuine leather" from China), but trying to avoid other forms of leather like your car's steering wheel, sitting on a leather seat on a bus, leather pads on gym equipment, etc. all with the possibility of filth transferring if your hands are wet or are sweating, etc.

Have any of you all heard of Imam Abu Yusuf's view on this as well?

abdushakur
08-05-2008, 11:28 AM
Salamalaikum,

I have a book "Al-Fiqh al-Islami According to the Hanafi Madhhab" by Sh Mohammad Akram Nadwi. In it, purifying a hide is discussed and it states "scholars agree that tanning purifies the hide and the fur of any dead animal. However, they disagree on whether tanning can purify the hide of a pig. Abu Yusuf holds that it can. Considering this view, boots, shoes, belts or anything else made of tanned pig's hide are allowed."

It is extremely hard to not only avoid purchasing things made of pig leather (due to companies not really knowing what kind of leather it is, since some of it is "genuine leather" from China), but trying to avoid other forms of leather like your car's steering wheel, sitting on a leather seat on a bus, leather pads on gym equipment, etc. all with the possibility of filth transferring if your hands are wet or are sweating, etc.

Have any of you all heard of Imam Abu Yusuf's view on this as well?
The brother raises an interesting point.
Please can someone knowledgable address this apparent difference of opinion within the Hanafi madhab?

----------------

On a related note, I really wanted to buy some Ben Sherman boots that I recently spotted. Knowing of the issue of pigskin I contacted their customer services centre. I got the following response back within 24 hours:

Dear Sir,
Please note that the upper leather for this shoe is completely made from cow leather. However, there is a small amount of split pigskin used in the heel lining of the boot

Many thanks

Martin Oscroft

Sourcing Manager (Footwear)
Ben Sherman Group Limited

Can i get away with buying a boot that only has a "small amount of split pigskin used in the heel lining of the boot"?
*clutches at straws* =)

baa7ith
08-05-2008, 12:27 PM
Narrated Jabir bin 'Abdullah: I heard Allah's Apostle, in the year of the Conquest of Mecca, saying, "Allah and His Apostle made illegal the trade of alcohol, dead animals, pigs and idols." The people asked, "O Allah's Apostle! What about the fat of dead animals, for it was used for greasing the boats and the hides; and people use it for lights?" He said, "No, it is illegal." Allah's Apostle further said, "May Allah curse the Jews, for Allah made the fat (of animals) illegal for them, yet they melted the fat and sold it and ate its price." Sahih Bukhari Book #34, Hadith #438.

elixa
14-11-2008, 02:14 PM
not sure if already mentioned but found this

clothing from pigskin
http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?cid=1119503549320&pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar%2FFatwaE%2FFatwaEAskTheScholar

Products from Pigskin
http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?cid=1212925186683&pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar%2FFatwaE%2FFatwaEAskTheScholar

Wearing shoes from pigskin
http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?cid=1133694685810&pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar%2FFatwaE%2FFatwaEAskTheScholar

Sunni4life
14-11-2008, 02:51 PM
Doesn anyone kno wthe ruling in the Sahfi'i school on this subject?

onetinywish
14-11-2008, 09:40 PM

You can spot pigskin jackets and bags easily. They tend to be made from soft suede and like others have said, they have dots in threes.

I usually buy my shoes from Clarks. My local store has lots of Muslims working there and they have access to a guide book which lists all the shoes currently selling in the shop. They can tell you whether the lining is pig or not.

Also, cheaper shoes may have lining that looks like leather but check the signs - is the lining synthetic or real?

As far as I know, sofas are made from cow hide as this type of leather is more durable but double check.

My father use to trade in leather jackets about 20 years ago so I've been aware of the pigskin issue for a long time. I personally can't stand touching the stuff and have never needed to or have owned anything made from pigskin alhamdulillah but that's my opinion. And I own plenty of shoes, clothes etc :$ :$ !

I like this thread, I've learnt something new about wudu and its invalidity and look forward to reading more, jazakallah

ws

Abbe
15-11-2008, 07:48 AM
Doesn anyone kno wthe ruling in the Sahfi'i school on this subject?

Salamu aleykum
Pigskin and skin from dogs are considered najis and can not be purified in any way according to the shafi'is. Pigs and dogs are najis in them selves, even when the animal is alive, and it is therefore not possible to purify them by tanning or by any other means.
Skin from other animals are pure, but when they die they become najis, i.e. they are not najis in them selves but become najis when the animal dies, and it is therefore possible to purify it by tanning.

Prayer is not valid wearing pigskin.
As for some of the questions raised in this thread about touching the stearingwheel of a car and sitting on busses, there is no problem as everything is considered pure until the opposite is proved, i.e. as long as you donk know that the skin is from a pig or a dog you can considere it pure.

squier
16-11-2008, 12:23 PM
inshallah spend a bit more and get cowhide. you get better quality shoes and you aren't wearing solid filth on your feet.

nazam
11-05-2009, 11:04 AM
salaam brothers and sisters in islam,

I have to add that all this stuff is making life in the west so difficult:cry:, nearly everything is to be doubted if we go on this view dont you think? I always thought islam was a religion of ease but stuff like this is making life complicated especially when there are so many people out there that think you're a bit looney!

I would just like to know if anyone can help me, I have shoes and their lining has 3 dots (not like pin holes though) but the dots do not form a triangle as I have read in some sources. The dots are like 3 full stops side by side but they are predominantly in 3's. I have read about the 3 dots but I have also read about them forming a triangle and quite spread out. Im just confused becauase I have many pairs that are like this. The lining of the shoes and the sole are like this, its not suede, its like leather but Im not sure. I cant really ask the manufacturer becasue they are old shoes! can anyone shed any light?
Wasalaam

Adeel bin Minhaj
11-05-2009, 03:15 PM

I called Timberland headquarters 800 445 5545

I asked them if their boots contain pig skin, the representative said she CAN NOT guarantee that the boots DO NOT contain pig skin. However she did give me names of a few styles that DEFINITELY contain pig skin. Again, she could not guarantee that the boots DID NOT contain pig skin as many of their BOOTS do.

The below list DEFINITELY contains Pig Skin according to Timberland US headquarters.

Palladian
Speke
Torajah
Youngstown
Outlier

Al-Faruqi
11-05-2009, 06:36 PM

Dear Mufti Husain, is it true that everything is considered pure until the opposite is proved, i.e. as long as you don't know that the skin is from a pig or a dog you can considere it pure?

Furthermore what is with the ruling in "Al-Fiqh Al-Islami According to the Hanafi Madhhab" where it says according to brother Street Scholar:

"Scholars agree that tanning purifies the hide and the fur of any dead animal. However, they disagree on whether tanning can purify the hide of a pig. Abu Yusuf holds that it can. Considering this view, boots, shoes, belts or anything else made of tanned pig's hide are allowed."

So if I'm not sure if it is pig leather or not I can still wear my leather belt?

What about Khuffain?
Is there any possibility of buying Khuffs made of pig leather or should they be regarded as generally secure?

Al-Faruqi
11-05-2009, 06:48 PM

I just found that:

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=15143&CATE=239

Adeel bin Minhaj
11-05-2009, 07:15 PM

I just found that:

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=15143&CATE=239

so what was Street Scholar talking about .. Mufti Abdur Rahman (yes now a Mufti) never said what was alleged by Street Scholar.

basheers
29-07-2009, 09:46 AM
Salaams brothers & Sisters,

Today mistakenly touched Pig lining shoes. After that washed my hands.
Please tell me, whether wudhu is enough to perform salaah or have to take bath?

NNoor
29-07-2009, 10:53 AM

Just bought a new pair of shoes two days ago and this issue never even crossed my mind. Then I saw this thread and looked up the shoes, and wouldn't you know it, they are lined with pigskin. I already wore the shoes one whole day...now I need to see if the store will take a return or if I just have to throw out a pair of brand new shoes. Stupid pigskin.

Quraatulain
29-07-2009, 03:47 PM

After searching for ages for comfortable fotware that looked nice i finally found a pair that was costly but decided to buy it anyway...though i had doubts about it being made from pig skin. I came home googled the site and it said the entire sole of the shoe was pig skin :(....Fortunately i got a refund but now I'm yet to find another comfy pair ..

Street Scholar
23-08-2009, 09:46 PM
so what was Street Scholar talking about .. Mufti Abdur Rahman (yes now a Mufti) never said what was alleged by Street Scholar.

As-salamualaikum,

You might have misread what I wrote. The book I quoted is "Al-Fiqh al-Islami" not "Al-Fiqh al-Imam" (by Mufti Abdur Rahman).

You can even find "Al-Fiqh al-Islami" on reputable traditional Islam based bookstore sites like "Al-Rashad.com"

am405
24-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Looking for Indian made shoes may help. These generally are not made with pigskin (although this may change as companies increasingly turn to India for manufacturing and I have seen an Indian made shoe that seemed like it had pigskin).