PDA

View Full Version : some ideas on increasing islamic identity

snassirnia
18-01-2008, 01:03 PM
I pick up my children two days a week from their school. I have noticed lately that increasingly my daughter(9yrs old) does not like to be seen with me especially to her classmates:$ (I am assuming my beard is the problem). This has been very hard on my heart. I have been thinking to make some bed times stories (my two kids stay with me two nights)where I will present merits of a religous father and a brave child taking pride in some kind of drama. I would appreciate if any parents have similar experience and a wiser intervention. ::cry:

not known
18-01-2008, 01:51 PM
Sir i would recommend u to tell ur children about the stories of children of sahaba how they used to have love for islam.
the best book i would refer is Hayatus sahaba (http://www.islamibayanaat.com/EnglishLiterature/EnglishHayatusSahabah-V1-P1-101-MaulanaYusufKandolviRA.pdf) written by moulana Yousuf kandhalvi (rah) it is also available in english

In this complete way of living of sahaba is written

clover
20-01-2008, 08:30 PM
Anything that you can recommend for young children though? Or just read the hayatus sahaba together at home?

snassirnia
22-01-2008, 12:01 PM
Jazak Allah Khair for the suggestion. I actually have the books

rie_maya
22-01-2008, 03:51 PM
Dar us salaam http://www.darussalam.com have a wonderful children's book section...

You maybe wise perhaps to start witht he colouring books - they mention Hadiths/Arabic alphabet, so would atleast "tune in" your daughter into thinking about the topic...then I'd suggest moving onto the book about a Muslim child's day...before ,moving onto perhaps individual strybooks about the Prophets...

clover
22-01-2008, 08:22 PM
Make maximum use of the time that you have with your daughter, in that share things on an emotional level. Are you sure its because of your beard?

May Allah swt strengthen the bond and create more love between the both of you - I think the suggestions above are quite good :)

ummatti
22-01-2008, 08:23 PM
Asalamualikum , Brother .You need to make your children value that they are muslim . You need to make them realise the positive benefits of Islam in their terms .
When I taught my children about Islamic history I would also teach about British history and compare .For example i'd tell them
Queen Victoria was known as the cleanest queen of England .How many times did she have a bath ?
Ans 2x a year !
(then i'd say pew! what a smell she must have left )

What did our Prophet Muhammed (saw) teach us about cleanliness 1400 years ago.?etc

And if they talked about super heroes then there is no end to historical examples of muslims who out do superman, spiderman, batman combined etc ! They are powered by imaan !

Then you could talk about all the scientific discoveries the the kufaar claimed our theirs but were actually made by muslims .

The problem is when your children go to kufaar institutions Islam is so demeaned children actually feel ashamed to own up to their Islamic identity .

clover
22-01-2008, 08:33 PM
MaashAllah brother, that is terrific, do you mind contributing in the other parenting threads?