PDA

View Full Version : Nursing for two years compulsory?

Sparkles
03-04-2008, 01:36 AM
Assalamualikum everyone.
I recently heard that it is essential to breast feed your child for two years. I want to know if this is really true. I have two kids, but I never nursed them for two years. Can anyone help me in this matter?

ursis
03-04-2008, 05:34 AM
Wa'alaikumsalam,
It is not necessary to feed for 2 years, just permissable.
Wallahu A'alum

Edit: http://www.askimam.org/fatwa/fatwa.php?askid=de16899eaeb66fbfae5fa250c37bb9ea

Sparkles
03-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Thanks sis. I knew of someone who had to travel, so she stopped nursing her kid. Now she is back after 2+ months , she was told she must start back nursing., since it is the child's right to be nursed.

ze leetle elper
13-04-2008, 12:43 PM
I think it is very important, if possible to breastfeed for as long as you can. There is so much blessing and nutrition in every mouthful of milk that comes from the mother, it is mindblowing to even imagine! Not only does it provide your child with the perfect milk made for their body, but it is also socially important, for mother and child to bond in this manner, this is highly likely to affect the child later on in life as well.

If you are going to be away from your child, you can always express milk for someone else to feed them via bottle. Breastmilk keeps up to a day in the refridgerator (I think?) and up to a month in the freezer? So you could freeze milk in advance and then keep pumping while you are away so that your supply does not dry out and when you return you can continue breastfeeding? :)

Ghuraba
07-05-2008, 09:42 PM
I think if you can then you should. Its such a great blessing (as the sisters mentioned) and its a special relationship you build with your child.

I remember my first born, alhumdulillah I fed him for the full two years. It can be quite hard, but it is rewarding.

I am not implying this about anyone, but generally a lot of sisters today focus on their figure, astagfirullah they are rejecting such a huge blessing and since when is your figure more important than your child.

I would advise every mother to nurse their child for two years. Why do you think paradise lies under our feet?

ze leetle elper
08-05-2008, 11:22 AM
Just to comment regarding the 'figure' idea that you mention some sisters may have: what better way to keep you figure and lsoe all that excess pregnancy weight THAN breastfeeding?! :D

You will be amazed how fast the pounds drop off when you breastfeed! Ask any mother who has breastfed for a considerable amount of time!

When your child suckles, a chemical is released which encorages the womb to contract and thus tighten up the womb and internal muscles. Breastfeeding also burns about 500 calories every time you feed your child...better than any gym workout and you don't even get out of breath! :cheesygri:

Is there any end to the benefits of breastfeeding?! Something I find amazing is that scientists know EXACTLY what breastmilk is made from, what chemicals etc yet they canot even reproduce a single drop of this precious milk. Breastmilk is alive, breastmilk is immunity fo ryour child, breastmilk affects personality, character; breastmilk is suited to your own baby and only your own baby, every mothers milk is different to suit her childs needs. Breastmilk is different for both male and female babies, breastmilk is a natural contraceptive, if your child is sick, the composition of your breastmilk changes to replace any nutrition he or she may be deficient in. When you are sick, your breastmilk provides your child with antibodies for that sickness.

SubhanAllah, we are told that Allah has created 99 mercies, one of which he has sent to this earth, in the manifestation of when a mother shows mercy and love to her child. What better or greater form of mercy and love than to provide your child with breastmilk, to shape them into the person they will be when they reach maturity.

Yes at first it is difficult, many mothers give up because it can be extremely hard to be persistent and consistent with breastfeeding when you have just undergone giving birth, are extremely tired/ in pain, have a baby crying every hour for a feed, feel weak and depressed because of the sudden change in your lifestyle, and so on and so on. This is very common to almost all mothers, and it is absolutely normal.

Husbands need to be higly aware of what their wives will be going thorugh, how she may be feeling and encourage and support her in every and any way possible. This can be in many forms by helping her with the baby, playing with baby when she/he is awake so mum gest some me-time to herself, encouraging your wife, after baby is about 1 month old to express milk so you can do a coupl of the night feeds whilst she sleeps and rests. Bringing her pillows, making sure she eats well and drinks loads of fluids to keep her energy up and her breastmilk flowing. Asking family (her family or yours) to come round and maybe help yo uout with housework so your wife can rest. Sleep in incrdibly important to build up a good supply of milk. Your wife can eat loads of good food but if she doesn't sleep she won't build up any milk. Whenever your baby is asleep, your wife should be sleeping as well, this is incredibly important if you want to keep on breastfeeding your child. It is very tempting to give into the bottle, 'oh we will only give it once' 'oh just today and we won't give it again' and all the other excuses. But the problem with this is that breastmilk is based on supply and demand. If your baby is not suckling and demanding breastmilk, your body will not know to produce more breastmilk to meet baby's needs.

Anyway enough of me ranting on about breastmilk :$