PDA

View Full Version : How to copy an Imam's recitation?

wullamulla
09-10-2008, 12:57 AM

bint abdul hameed
09-10-2008, 01:23 AM
how do you copy an iam, like study his voice? i want to copy Sudais.. please answer

lol, I was going to ask the exact same question! I have been wanting to copy imams for such a long time, but I dont know why, I can never get their Qirat, I dont think your suppose to copy the voice (unless you can), Usually people copy the imams qirat (their style of reciting), I sure hope someone answers soon!

Amina786
14-10-2008, 06:56 AM
I'm not sure if i will be of some help, but, I have been studying and trying to memorize Mishary's style. I would remember my surah, and then just listen to it over and over again, while looking at the Quran to see how he recites each letter.... If you listen long enough, you can get it, insha'Allah.

bugmenot
14-10-2008, 07:06 AM
:salam:
Let me tell you that your first goal (if not already done) should be to learn tajweed, your interest should be to emulate Rasullullah :saw: 's recitation, not another imam whose qiraat can also be questionned from a strict tajweed point of view.
I've heard some beginners who thought they were "doing great" by copying the famous qura' from macca/madina, but it was clearly pathetic.

xyz999
14-10-2008, 02:21 PM

There are a number of considerations to be borne in mind when trying to copy somebody's recitation:

1) Can you copy their tajweed?
2) Can you copy their voice?
3) Can you copy their melody?
4) Can you copy their emotion and attachment to the Qur'aan?
5) What is the motive behind imitating so and so?

Reading the Qur'aan with a nice voice and melody comes with perfecting one's tajweed and becoming fluent in reading. Some people are blessed with nice voices and a rythmic, fluent style of recital, most are not and have to work for it.

Personally I am aghast at the thought that anybody wants to copy Sudais :confused: Perhaps it is the link between his voice and the Haram which is what attracts people.

Things to think about and do when trying to copy somebody:

1) Listen to them read and read after them (i.e. open the Qur'aan and read the same surah as they are reading with them)
2) Memorise the surah from their reading
3) Know the limits to your voice (it only goes so high and so low)
4) Do you recite with your speaking voice or a different voice?
5) Find somebody with a nice voice and ask them to read Al Isti'aathah and Al Basmalah to you in different tones and you try to copy them
6) Can you read the same ayah in more than 2 melodies?
7) When Qari's come to your locality (Ramdan, courses etc...) try and sit and read to them even if only a little
8) Pray behind the best recitor even if not in your local masjid

Downside? At best you will only be an imitator and unable to express through your own vocal chords the sweetness that you may experience during your recital. You may also forget what you are reciting if you go outside of the melody you have memorised it in.

Solution? First and foremost a sincere dua to Allah the most High. In addition to this highly personal dua you will make there is this dua (not my translation) in particular which is very beautiful:

Oh Allah!
I am your servant,
son of Your male servant,
and son of Your female servant;
my forehead is in Your Hand;
Your judgment is exact;
Your decision about me is just;
I ask You by every name of Yours which You have called Yourself,
or revealed in a Book of Yours,
or taught to any of Your servants,
or reserved within Your unrevealed Knowledge,
to make the Qur'an a spring to my heart,
a light in my chest,
that it removes my sadness,
and erase my anguish.

Listen to lots of different Qurraa and read lots of Qur'aan, perfect your tajweed as far as is possible for you (not everybody is born to be a Husary) and over time you will be able to change the way you read at will and in tune with your internal state.

To conclude, there are many people Allah has blessed with reciting His book in beautiful ways and these beautiful ways are many too. Alhamdulillah it is good that these people are our role models, at least in one aspect of our lives.

What needs to be kept in sight is why we are seeking to read beautifully. After a while even reciting the Qur'aan nicely has it's challenges and barriers that you must overcome.

Such as? Well riyaa for one, being forced to be the Imam, the responsibility of teaching others, the shaytaan increasing the fervour of his attacks on you and so on. Not trying to scare people here but these things are important and forewarned is forearmed.

So read the Qur'aan and spend time and care on improving your relationship with Allah.

Hope this rambling is of some benefit

wullamulla
02-11-2008, 07:21 PM

Personally I am aghast at the thought that anybody wants to copy Sudais :confused: Perhaps it is the link between his voice and the Haram which is what attracts people.

why??

ibraaheem
03-11-2008, 01:07 PM
there is nothing wrong with copying sudais or another qari
however, sheikh saud bin ibrahim al-shuraim (an imam of makkah) said in an interview published in a Qatari newspaper "Al watan"

"..and i have no objection on the ones who copy me but i think one should not follow/copy some reciter instead one should make ones own way of reciting..."