PDA

View Full Version : Are sweepstakes halal?

asma1
13-10-2008, 02:15 AM
Assalamoalikum
Sweepstakes in which there is no purchase required.

asma1
09-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Okay I didn't know I had this posted in 2008 but anyways since there are no answers to it, I'll just update my question and also because we were discussing in class why gambling is haram and this was part of the tafseer of an ayat.
Gambling and lottery is haraam and few of the reasons are that many people invest their money and only one gets benefited, which is unfair. Secondly, everyone wants to win and others to lose which is not a hunmanity, it increases greediness, person won't be willing to work,etc.
But in sweepstakes there is nothing to lose (except the time, I don't know if that counts since it's valuable too)

I was just wondering how come there are so many views to threads but only few replies. (I just noticed this in threads)

abuhajira
13-02-2011, 06:23 AM
Okay I didn't know I had this posted in 2008 but anyways since there are no answers to it, I'll just update my question and also because we were discussing in class why gambling is haram and this was part of the tafseer of an ayat.
Gambling and lottery is haraam and few of the reasons are that many people invest their money and only one gets benefited, which is unfair. Secondly, everyone wants to win and others to lose which is not a hunmanity, it increases greediness, person won't be willing to work,etc.
But in sweepstakes there is nothing to lose (except the time, I don't know if that counts since it's valuable too)

I was just wondering how come there are so many views to threads but only few replies. (I just noticed this in threads)

:salam:

Sweepstakes where you are automatically entered for a draw without any monetary participation from your side are permissible. A waste of time, but permissible.

Wallahu A'lam

:ws: