PDA

View Full Version : Arabic Language: 12 or 15 subsciences?

Sunni_Student786
06-04-2005, 08:26 AM
As salaamu alaykum.

I was recently reading something that Shaykh Hamza wrote about Shaykh Abdullah bin Bayyah's knowledge, and he wrote that the Arabic language has 12 subsciences acccording to most scholars, and 15 according to others (or something to that effect). Does anyone here know what those sciences are?

The quote from Shaykh Hamza, with the lin, is listed below.

"Shaykh Abdallah is a master of the sciences of Arabic which number twelve according to some scholars and fifteen according to others. All of these sciences have branches and the pursuit of them is endless. The Quran is a miracle because its meanings are like the oceanís waves, unrelenting and over time reducing the heart to crushed grains of sand on the shore of divine presence, no longer standing in defiance to the waves but malleable and yielding in a state of submission." (http://www.islamicbookstore.com/mirofqurhamy.html)

If anyone could answer the question that I posed above, it would be most appreciated.

Jazakallahu Khair.

Wa'salaam.

Sunni_Student786
06-04-2006, 08:01 AM
Let me take this to the top as there is more activity these days on the forum and perhaps I can get an answer to this question insha'allah.

godilali
06-04-2006, 11:12 AM
I was taught there are four sciences of arabic. Maybe these are the broader catagories:
1. Qawaid (Saf / Nahw)
2. Lugah
3. Adab
4. Balaghah

cotton
06-04-2006, 07:35 PM
As soon as i saw the title of this thread, I knew that none other than PK could have authored it.
mA

Sunni_Student786
06-04-2006, 08:15 PM
As soon as i saw the title of this thread, I knew that none other than PK could have authored it.
mA

lol.

How so?

Sunni_Student786
06-04-2006, 08:16 PM
I was taught there are four sciences of arabic. Maybe these are the broader catagories:
1. Qawaid (Saf / Nahw)
2. Lugah
3. Adab
4. Balaghah

And brother godilai,

those are rather broad categories given the fact that Lughah, Ishtiqaaq, etc. are not mentioned.

I hope that someone can come up with a comprehensive list insha'allah of the 12 (or 15 depending on how you arrange them) subsciences of the Arabic language.

godilali
07-04-2006, 02:34 AM
I've been searching for it, with no luck. Although I found some other forums you have frequented, lol. (most of my searches lead to you asking this question, or the "golden advice on learning the arabic language)

eTeacher
07-04-2006, 03:35 AM
Assalamu Alaikum Br. PK,

I'm in a good mood so here goes the full list of the 15 subjects which are prerequisites for those wanting to commentate the Quran:

1) Lughat i.e. Philology (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/philology) of Language

2) Nahw i.e. Syntax

3) Sarf i.e. Etymology

4) Ishtiqaaq i.e. Derivatives

5) Ilmul Ma'aani i.e. Knowledge of Semantics

6) Ilmul Bayan i.e. Knowledge of Figures of Speech like similes/metaphors

7) Ilmul Badee i.e. Knowledge of Rhetoric

The last three are the branches of Ilmul Balaagah (knowledge of oratory)

8) Ilmul Qiraah i.e. Knowledge of the art of pronunciation

9) Ilmul Aqaaid i.e. Knowledge of the Fundamentals of Faith

10) Usoolul Fiqh i.e. Principles of Islamic Jurisprudence

11) Asbaabun Nuzool i.e. Circumstances which caused revelation of verses

12) An Nasikh Wal Mansukh i.e. Knowledge of Abrogation

13) Ilmul Fiqh i.e. Knowledge of Islamic Jurisprudence

14) Knowledge of Hadith which happen to commentate Quranic verses

15) ...and finally.....The gifted understanding of the Quran bestowed by Allah upon his selected ones

The above is taken from one of the most widely read books after the Quran: none other than Fazail A'amal. It's an amazing book and it has so much stuff in there albeit it has some weak hadiths. The above is taken from the Virtues of the Quran booklet under Hadith #8.

now...i gotta go and prepare for my speech tomorrow infront of over 1000 critics....average Jumuah crowd at our Masjid.....

Please remember me in your duas,
Nazim

Yusuf
07-04-2006, 03:46 AM
Found this on www.billo.wordpress.com

--------

The Sciences of the Arabic Language are composed of 13 different sciences:

1) Morphology الصَّرْف

2) Grammar الإعْراب (which goes under the term النَّحْو)

3) Writing الرَّسْم أو الإمْلاء

4) Meanings المَعاني

5) Science which deals which metaphorical language البَيلن

6) The Art of beautiful style البَديع

7) Metrics or Prosody العَروض

8) Rhyme القَوافي

9) Writing Poetry قَرْضُ الشِّعْر

10) Composition الإنْشاء

11) Public Speech and Oration الخَطابَة

12) Literary History تاريخُ اللأَدَب

13) Core of the Arabic Language مَتْن اللُّغَة (deals with words, foundations, dictionaries, and lexicons)
(Note: ٍSome scholars group البَديع و البَيان و المَعاني under the Science of Arabic Rhetoric عِلْمُ الْبَلاغَة )

References:

1) جامع الدروس العربية لمصطَفى الغلاييني (http://www.almeshkat.com/books/open.php?cat=16&book=2362)

Sunni_Student786
07-04-2006, 05:12 AM
Thank you eTeacher, but I was already familiar with that list as I had seen it in Fazaa'il e Amaal. Only 8 sciences of the Arabic language were listed in it.

I appreciate your list brother Yusuf, but is there any way that you could make the Arabic a bit larger? I have difficulty reading it.

Furthermore, where would the science of Ishtiqaaq fall into those categories?

Regardles, thank you SO MUCH for the list. May Allah reward you abundantly in this life and in there hereafter.

Perhaps now someone could come up with a list which shows the sciences of the Arabic language arranged into 15 disciplines?

Regardless, Jazakallahu Khair.

Wa'salaam.

Yusuf
07-04-2006, 05:20 AM
Thank you eTeacher, but I was already familiar with that list as I had seen it in Fazaa'il e Amaal. Only 8 sciences of the Arabic language were listed in it.

I appreciate your list brother Yusuf, but is there any way that you could make the Arabic a bit larger? I have difficulty reading it.

Furthermore, where would the science of Ishtiqaaq fall into those categories?

Regardles, thank you SO MUCH for the list. May Allah reward you abundantly in this life and in there hereafter.

Perhaps now someone could come up with a list which shows the sciences of the Arabic language arranged into 15 disciplines?

Regardless, Jazakallahu Khair.

Wa'salaam.

Wa iyyakum and ameen. You can copy&paste it into word and just enlarge it, my computer wont let me do that.

Ishtiqaq probably falls under sarf.

Btw, check out www.arabicgems.wordpress.com

Wassalam

godilali
07-04-2006, 02:36 PM
Yusuf, how far have you gotten into nahw?

Sunni_Student786
10-11-2007, 06:51 PM
ttt