PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Salafi Influence

islamia
29-07-2009, 07:14 AM
As salamu alaikum

I hope to find you all in the best of health. To start off, I grew up in Houston, TX, USA. Many of you in the Texas area I'm sure have heard of the Islamic Society of Greater Houston, aka ISGH. Growing up here, I went to mostly Masjids that were part of ISGH and followed what they had taught me while going to Sunday school and what not. Unfortunately, ISGH has done nothing but teach me and the rest of the Sunni Muslims in the community the Salafi ideology. Over here, we have all grown in this community to have accepted what they have said to be truth and that this ideology was the "true" Islam. I had just last year learned what this Salafi movement was and how it was destroying Islam. Now after doing some studying and research, I have found a madhab to follow and trying to understand what Islam really is. However, there is so much that I have been taught that I am unsure of what is honestly true and false. I am truly worried about the youth over here as they are all taught this and nothing else. Most laymen Muslims in the community, attend the khutbahs and lectures and listen to what these scholars and muftis say and take it as the final word helping the Salafi ideology grow more and more. It has even spread deep into my own family.

So my brothers and sisters in Islam I have a few questions regarding some basic stuff of what I have learned and a few more on how to deal with the spreading of the Salafi ideology.

1. I was taught that Rasullulah (saw) did not know of his prophethood until Jibraeel (peace and blessings be upon him) came and ordered him (saw) to read. Then Rasullulah (saw) claimed that he could not read and was then ordered again until he (saw) finally recited. Once he went home he (saw) went to Khadijah (peace and blessings upon her) and was very distraught upon what had just transpired. Soon after they went to see a Christian scholar who was, I believe, in some way related to Khadijah (peace and blessings upon her). This scholar told Rasullulah (saw) that he was a prophet. Is this what scholars agreed to have happened?

2. I was also taught that celebrating birthdays are bi'dah, putting flowers on graves are bi'dah, and Qu'ran khanis are bi'dah. Are any of these actually bi'dah?

3. What is a good biographical book of the Prophet (saw) to purchase so that I can relearn early Islamic history.

4. How can I help end the Salafi influence in ISGH and in the community?

anahita81
29-07-2009, 07:32 AM
Assalaamu aleykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

I reverted to Islam about a year and a half ago and follow the Hanafi school. I am not well-versed in these matters but I hope insha'Allah that I might be of some assistance.

I have heard that it is not good to place a lot of importance on birthdays, but I know many Muslims who at least acknowledge them (although do not go to extremes in celebration).

Many Muslims I know as well as non-Muslim scholars of Islam use the book Muhammad by Martin Lings. It is a very popular, accessible but well-written and researched sira. I hope insha'Allah that this will be of benefit to you.

Al-Faruqi
30-07-2009, 01:39 AM
As salamu alaikum

I hope to find you all in the best of health. To start off, I grew up in Houston, TX, USA. Many of you in the Texas area I'm sure have heard of the Islamic Society of Greater Houston, aka ISGH. Growing up here, I went to mostly Masjids that were part of ISGH and followed what they had taught me while going to Sunday school and what not. Unfortunately, ISGH has done nothing but teach me and the rest of the Sunni Muslims in the community the Salafi ideology. Over here, we have all grown in this community to have accepted what they have said to be truth and that this ideology was the "true" Islam. I had just last year learned what this Salafi movement was and how it was destroying Islam. Now after doing some studying and research, I have found a madhab to follow and trying to understand what Islam really is. However, there is so much that I have been taught that I am unsure of what is honestly true and false. I am truly worried about the youth over here as they are all taught this and nothing else. Most laymen Muslims in the community, attend the khutbahs and lectures and listen to what these scholars and muftis say and take it as the final word helping the Salafi ideology grow more and more. It has even spread deep into my own family.

So my brothers and sisters in Islam I have a few questions regarding some basic stuff of what I have learned and a few more on how to deal with the spreading of the Salafi ideology.

1. I was taught that Rasullulah (saw) did not know of his prophethood until Jibraeel (peace and blessings be upon him) came and ordered him (saw) to read. Then Rasullulah (saw) claimed that he could not read and was then ordered again until he (saw) finally recited. Once he went home he (saw) went to Khadijah (peace and blessings upon her) and was very distraught upon what had just transpired. Soon after they went to see a Christian scholar who was, I believe, in some way related to Khadijah (peace and blessings upon her). This scholar told Rasullulah (saw) that he was a prophet. Is this what scholars agreed to have happened?

2. I was also taught that celebrating birthdays are bi'dah, putting flowers on graves are bi'dah, and Qu'ran khanis are bi'dah. Are any of these actually bi'dah?

3. What is a good biographical book of the Prophet (saw) to purchase so that I can relearn early Islamic history.

4. How can I help end the Salafi influence in ISGH and in the community?

:salam:

I advise you to ask your questions on www.askimam.org, Mufti Ebrahim Desai (db) and his team will insha Allah answer you very well!

:ws:

maneatinglizard
30-07-2009, 11:26 AM

In regards to the Seerah, I believe the Seerah of Ibn Kathir :rahim: has been translated.

If you want to get really in depth, there is a multiple volume work by Allamah Shibli Numani called Sirat un-Nabi.

taalib_e_ilm
30-07-2009, 11:50 AM
This is also a good book on Seerah.

http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43776&highlight=baandwi