PDA

View Full Version : Confused Muslim and Zakat?

pashazada
24-03-2010, 11:24 AM
Salam Alukum

Can any brothers please advise me as to if I qualify to pay zakat? I have no savings as such and a lot of debts most of which I am paying riba on :( though I do have money left over after my basic bill's etc. Is there anywhere I can find out if what and how im supposed to pay?

Thank's :)

hope1
24-03-2010, 11:51 AM
Salam Alukum

Can any brothers please advise me as to if I qualify to pay zakat? I have no savings as such and a lot of debts most of which I am paying riba on :( though I do have money left over after my basic bill's etc. Is there anywhere I can find out if what and how im supposed to pay?

Thank's :)

Assalamu aliakum,

If your debts are more than your cash then you don't have to pay any zakaat. But you should pay off your debts as soon as possible.

pashazada
24-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Shukran :)

Say one's surplus income after bill's and paying the minimum required by the credit cards and bank's toward the debts one is left with 400 would I be eligable to pay Zakat on that 400? or should I put as much of it as I can toward's the debts?

hope1
24-03-2010, 12:47 PM
Shukran :)

Say one's surplus income after bill's and paying the minimum required by the credit cards and bank's toward the debts one is left with 400 would I be eligable to pay Zakat on that 400? or should I put as much of it as I can toward's the debts?

You should try to put as much as you can towards the debt to eliminate interest.

But even if you don't if your ( Debts - 400) > nisaab amount, then only there is zakaat. Not merely one the excess. Only if the excess is more than nisaab then there is zakaat on the entire amount.

Nisaab according to silver is I think $350ish and according to gold around $2000ish - I am not 100% sure about these amounts, so better make sure with someone who knows.