PDA

View Full Version : Sunnah way of saying ''Straighten the rows.......''

Abu_Dahdah
24-08-2010, 11:01 AM
Assalamu Alaikum,

What are the exact words used by RasulAllah Sallahu Alayhi Wasallam when he used to order the lines to be straightened? The ahadith in arabic would be much appreciated!

I think the Imam of Masjid-al-Haraam goes like ''istawoo, istaqeemu, wa'3tadiloo, tarassoo''

I think a point needs to be made at many South Asian mosques where people seem to be standing (literally!) a feet away from each other without any sort of ''straightness''. No wonder our hearts are often full of jealousy and contempt for each other. May Allah protect us!

Jazak Allah Khair!

Wassalam

Abu_Dahdah
25-08-2010, 11:00 AM
*bump*

Sulaiman84
25-08-2010, 11:11 AM
:salam:

Anas :anhu: narrates that Nabi :saw: said: Straighten you rows, for the straightening of the rows in Salaah is essential for the offering of Salaah correctly.

(Bukhari)

'An Anasin :anhu: 'anin Nabiyyi :saw:: sawwu 'sufufakum fa inna taswiyatas 'sufufi min iqaamatis 'salaah

There's another one too...

Sulaiman84
25-08-2010, 11:36 AM

Abu Umaamah :anhu: narrates that Rasulullah :saw: said: Allah sends Mercy and His angels invoke blessing upon the first row. Those present said: O Rasulullah! And upon the second? He replied: Allah sends Mercy and His angels invoke blessings upon the first row. (Again) they asked: And upon the second? He replied: And also upon the second. And Rasulullah :saw: further said: Straighten your rows, align your shoulders, be gentle to your brothers, and close the gaps. For verily Shaitan enters in the gap between you like a baby lamb.

(Musnad Ahmad, Tabarani, Majma-uz-Zawaid)

'An Abi Umaamata :anhu: qaal: Qaala Rasulullahi :saw:: Innallaaha wa malaa'ikatahu yu'salluna 'alas 'saffil awwal, Qaalu Yaa Rasulallah, wa 'alath thaani? Qaal: Innallaaha wa malaa'ikatahu yu'salluna 'alas 'saffil awwal, Qaalu Yaa Rasulallah, wa 'alath thaani? Qaal: wa 'alath thaani, wa qaala Rasulullahi :saw: sawwu 'sufufakum wa 'haadhu baina manaakibikum wa leenu fee ikhwaanikum, wa suddul khalal, fa innash shaitana yadkhulu feemaa bainakum bimanzilatil 'hadhaf -ya'nee- awlaadadha'nis 'sighaar

Abu_Dahdah
25-08-2010, 11:37 AM
Jazak Allah Khair! I was pretty much looking for the ''sawwu 'sufufakum fa inna taswiyatas 'sufufi min iqaamatis 'salaah''

Sulaiman84
25-08-2010, 11:40 AM
:wk:

My bad, I couldn't find the actual Arabic but those ahadith were taken from Muntakhab Ahadith Chapter: Salaah in Congregation .

The Fake Shaykh
25-08-2010, 12:52 PM
Assalamu Alaikum,

What are the exact words used by RasulAllah Sallahu Alayhi Wasallam when he used to order the lines to be straightened? The ahadith in arabic would be much appreciated!

I think the Imam of Masjid-al-Haraam goes like ''istawoo, istaqeemu, wa'3tadiloo, tarassoo''

I think a point needs to be made at many South Asian mosques where people seem to be standing (literally!) a feet away from each other without any sort of ''straightness''. No wonder our hearts are often full of jealousy and contempt for each other. May Allah protect us!

Jazak Allah Khair!

Wassalam
some of the hadiths have been mentioned in this article
http://www.croydonmosque.com/pdf/In%20Salah%20with%20Congregation%20It%20is%20Sunna h%20to%20Straighten%20the%20Rows%20by%20Joining%20 Shoulder%20to%20Shoulder%20and%20Not%20Feet%20to%2 0Feet.pdf

Abu Dajanaa
25-08-2010, 03:58 PM
من وصل صفا وصله الله ومن قطع صفا قطعه الله

Is this also one of the saying?

katana
25-08-2010, 07:18 PM
This sunnah is completely neglected in many mosques these days. The gaps between the brothers are becomming a joke. Atleast the ahle hadith brothers stick to this sunnah even though their is a difference of oppinion as to how close you should be. These days you don't even see brother shoulders touching each others. I pray thravih at a mosque near my town the other day and the gap that were empty in many rows could atleast fill another 100 brothers!

NNoor
25-08-2010, 08:30 PM
This sunnah is completely neglected in many mosques these days. The gaps between the brothers are becomming a joke. Atleast the ahle hadith brothers stick to this sunnah even though their is a difference of oppinion as to how close you should be. These days you don't even see brother shoulders touching each others. I pray thravih at a mosque near my town the other day and the gap that were empty in many rows could atleast fill another 100 brothers!

It just depends on the people. A lot of the people who come to pray tarawih are not masjid regulars and so may be less educated.

As for shoulders not touching a lot of the times this is the fault of the salafis/ahle hadith/whatever who focus only on touching the feet of the person next to them. In doing so, they adopt the most ugly stances, spreading their feet so wide apart that the people next to them can't come close enough to touch shoulders without stepping on their feet. One wonders how they can possibly have khushu in prayer while standing like that.

I still don't understand their obsession with the feet, while the ignore the shoulders/upper body.

Abu_Dahdah
25-08-2010, 08:46 PM
I am learning Tajweed at a ''salafi institute'' and the teachers there have a much more moderate position - i.e. they consider the touching of the shoulders to be primary and the feet secondary. Therefore, they would correct other salafi brothers who would stand with their feet so wide apart that the shoulders don't touch

NB: The teachers there follow hanbali fiqh mostly as per my knowledge. One of them even objects to the term ''salafi'' some times.

But agreed - it truly is a forgotten sunnah in hanafi mosques for some reason. Why don't we muster up the courage and request the Imams to start making announcements before every jama'ah? We might get all the ajr inshaAllah!

rqsnnt
26-08-2010, 06:12 AM
I am learning Tajweed at a ''salafi institute'' and the teachers there have a much more moderate position - i.e. they consider the touching of the shoulders to be primary and the feet secondary. Therefore, they would correct other salafi brothers who would stand with their feet so wide apart that the shoulders don't touch

NB: The teachers there follow hanbali fiqh mostly as per my knowledge. One of them even objects to the term ''salafi'' some times.

But agreed - it truly is a forgotten sunnah in hanafi mosques for some reason. Why don't we muster up the courage and request the Imams to start making announcements before every jama'ah? We might get all the ajr inshaAllah!

As-Salaam Alaikum Wa-Rahmatullahi Wa-Barakatuhu

Thank u brother to make us the issue clear / how to implement this sunnah.

It just depends on the people. A lot of the people who come to pray tarawih are not masjid regulars and so may be less educated.

This is not true completely. I have seen many times Imam is saying don't keep gap between u, but many people don't care it. I have seen many people in mosque, they talked about we have to lead our life according to Quran & Sunnah. But some times they they don't follow Authentic sunnah!
What will be answer if educated people don't follow this sunnah?

Now a days we r as follow

Dawud :: Book 2 : Hadith 666

Narrated Abdullah ibn Umar:

The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: Set the rows in order, stand shoulder to shoulder, close the gaps, be pliant in the hands of your brethren, and do not leave openings for the devil. If anyone joins up a row, Allah will join him up, but if anyone breaks a row, Allah will cut him off.

Salam

abulayl
26-08-2010, 09:09 AM
:salam: dont klnow is it about weather or not, in germany i feel comfortable by touching shoulder to shoulder, but here in BD i feel bit fishy before i even try to be be more closer to my next one!

AbdullahbinAbdullah
26-08-2010, 09:26 AM

Which institute is this Akhi

Abu_Dahdah
26-08-2010, 05:32 PM
This is the Tayyibun institute - I would recommend them for Tajweed/Arabic studies! They are moderate (in fiqh) which is evidenced by the fact that they teach Qudoori (hanafi fiqh) as part of their semester courses. But obviously, on issues of Aqeedah/spirituality - it's a no-nonsense policy, if you know what I mean.

Alhamdulillah, I have benefitted much from their tajweed courses.

Sunni_Student786
26-08-2010, 10:21 PM
...I think a point needs to be made at many South Asian mosques where people seem to be standing (literally!) a feet away from each other without any sort of ''straightness''. No wonder our hearts are often full of jealousy and contempt for each other. May Allah protect us!

Jazak Allah Khair!

Wassalam

Someone else once remarked the same thing to me.

katana
27-08-2010, 01:13 AM
Someone else once remarked the same thing to me.

When we pray salah with jamat we are meant to be shoulder to shoulder in order to remove the devil of difference. This difference is of stature so basically when we face Allah s.w.a we are all equal. A poor person praying alonside the rich, a black next to a white and so forth. I guess its neglected these days and tbh it should be the imams duty to educate the importance of this sunnah when salah begins.

yas245
27-08-2010, 01:27 AM
So how important is it to join shoulders ? Or is joining the shoulders simply a means to align the rows ? If we have lines to indicate where our feet should be positioned, as this is what we see in masjids, do we still join our shoulders ?

meelash
27-08-2010, 01:43 AM
So how important is it to join shoulders ? Or is joining the shoulders simply a means to align the rows ? If we have lines to indicate where our feet should be positioned, as this is what we see in masjids, do we still join our shoulders ?

It's not just about alignment but also being close, with no gaps. So yes shoulders should be touching but without causing harm to anyone.

Sunni_Student786
27-08-2010, 03:47 AM
It's not just about alignment but also being close, with no gaps. So yes shoulders should be touching but without causing harm to anyone.

Can you give me an example of a scenario in which the shoulders touching could be considered harmful?

meelash
27-08-2010, 05:25 AM
Can you give me an example of a scenario in which the shoulders touching could be considered harmful?

I mean like squishing the next person :cheesygri

rqsnnt
27-08-2010, 06:48 AM
So how important is it to join shoulders ?

As-Salaam Alaikum Wa-Rahmatullahi Wa-Barakatuhu

It's as important as to follow a sunnah

Or is joining the shoulders simply a means to align the rows ?

I think no, A line is well enough to align the row. joining the shoulders is for not leave any gap between to person.

If we have lines to indicate where our feet should be positioned, as this is what we see in masjids, do we still join our shoulders ?

Following Hadiths may help us to understand

Dawud :: Book 2 : Hadith 666

Narrated Abdullah ibn Umar:

The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: Set the rows in order, stand shoulder to shoulder, close the gaps, be pliant in the hands of your brethren, and do not leave openings for the devil. If anyone joins up a row, Allah will join him up, but if anyone breaks a row, Allah will cut him off.

Dawud :: Book 2 : Hadith 667

Narrated Anas ibn Malik:

The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: Stand close together in your rows, bring them near one another, and stand neck to neck, for by Him in Whose hand my soul is, I see the devil coming in through openings in the row just like a small black sheep.

Salam