PDA

View Full Version : Ghusl conflict at fajr time (a very real problem)

Visitor
13-09-2010, 01:58 PM
If there are about 10 minutes left until sunrise, and both husband and wife need to make ghusl to pray fajr salah (and there is only enough time for one of them to make ghusl) then what should happen? Who should take priority?

This is a very real problem and there is no scope for both of them to make ghusl at the same time.

Joshimitsu
13-09-2010, 02:42 PM
If there are about 10 minutes left until sunrise, and both husband and wife need to make ghusl to pray fajr salah (and there is only enough time for one of them to make ghusl) then what should happen? Who should take priority?

This is a very real problem and there is no scope for both of them to make ghusl at the same time.

Why can't they do gushl together? Is the vicinity very small or there is not enough water?

Anyhow, Allah swt is forgiving:

O ye who believe! Draw not near unto prayer when ye are drunken, till ye know that which ye utter, nor when ye are polluted, save when journeying upon the road, till ye have bathed. And if ye be ill, or on a journey, or one of you cometh from the closet, or ye have touched women, and ye find not water, then go to high clean soil and rub your faces and your hands (therewith). Lo! Allah is Benign, Forgiving.

(4:43)

Visitor
13-09-2010, 06:00 PM
Why can't they do gushl together? Is the vicinity very small or there is not enough water?

Anyhow, Allah swt is forgiving:

O ye who believe! Draw not near unto prayer when ye are drunken, till ye know that which ye utter, nor when ye are polluted, save when journeying upon the road, till ye have bathed. And if ye be ill, or on a journey, or one of you cometh from the closet, or ye have touched women, and ye find not water, then go to high clean soil and rub your faces and your hands (therewith). Lo! Allah is Benign, Forgiving.

(4:43)
The bath tub is too small for two people to stand in there and share the same shower head.

Are you an alim?
Are you saying that due to the tafseer of the ayah above one person should make ghusl and the other should just do tayammum and pray?
Does the fajr salah have to be repeated then with full ghusl after ishraq time?

Thnaks.

The Fake Shaykh
13-09-2010, 06:48 PM
i don't know the specific answer to your question but here are the conditions for tayyamum:

In the Madhab of Imam Abu Haneefa (RA), Tayammum is permitted in the following circumstances:

a) When water is not available (*)

b) When one lacks the means to get the water

c) When there is a danger lurking between him/her and the water e.g. a beast or human

d) When one is a prisoner under harsh conditions

e) When the quantity of water is only sufficient to meet the basic necessities e.g. drinking, cooking, or water for the animal

f) When one is ill or feels that using water will aggravate the illness

g) When one is in a state of Janabah (sexual impurity) and fears that one will die from cold or become ill if Ghusl is made with water (provided that one has no means to heat the water or use public bathrooms). Tayammum is a substitute for Wudhu or Ghusl.

Intrepid
13-09-2010, 07:30 PM
Here's a suggestion try waking up earlier!

P.S. You have water so tayyamum is not an option.

rqsnnt
14-09-2010, 05:58 AM

As-Salaam Alaikum Wa-Rahmatullahi Wa-Barakatuhu

Very important question!. Brother can u plz tell me why there is no scope for both of them to make ghusl at the same time?

Salam

Ahnaf Defender
14-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Asslam-o-Alaikum,

Why don't they do gusl and then goto sleep

Visitor
14-09-2010, 10:46 AM
To Intrepid: Sometimes people do oversleep their alarms, especially if they have illness. This is a real situation which requires some help and advice and your glib comments do not help.

To rqsnnt: This was answered above the bathing area is not big enough for 2 people to bath/shower. In England some bathrooms are very small.

To Ahnaf Defender: Yes, these are all preventative measures, but the question is asking about a specific situation that has occurred and may occur again. Guidance is needed for the specific situation. For example, is there a need now to make taubah for the one who didnt bathe? Was tayammum a missed opportunity? Does the fajr salah have to be repeated with full ghusl? (Not everyone has the opportunity to bathe straight after the incident. There are many variables in the lives of the ummah).

I am actually very surprised no one can help further with this query. It is a basic ilm of deen surely, that everyone should know something about? I am still learning.
It seems people have more time to spend hours discussing theoretical issues which do not have any practical basis.

alfatiha
14-09-2010, 11:16 AM

:ws:

Ghusl can be done in 2-3 min. No need to soap/etc. One of them can do in the kitchen (maybe an upper part, rinse throat, head, 'wudhu'), another in the shower. Then the kitchen person can run to the shower and wash the rest of the part quickly. Have the water runs really fast and strong. Then pray.

والله اعلم

Ahnaf Defender
14-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Asslam-o-Alaikum,

Visitor brother actually many of us on Sunniforum are not married :-( so we don't know much about what to do in a situation like this.

What we can tell u is about wetdreams loll. I read somewhere in a fatwa that if u have wetdreams regularly (everyday) and u don't have enought time to do gusl. then u can just wash off the impurity and offer Fajr prayer and then do the Gusl later. but i don't know that does the same applies for ur problem.

rqsnnt
14-09-2010, 11:40 AM
To rqsnnt: This was answered above the bathing area is not big enough for 2 people to bath/shower. In England some bathrooms are very small.

1. Try to store water in a BIG BUCKET or bath tub for two person before sleep
2. Both can use same MUG or both have own MUG & do the bath same time. Just want to know is there any problem to take bath together for Husband & wife from a single pot?

I am actually very surprised no one can help further with this query. It is a basic ilm of deen surely, that everyone should know something about? I am still learning.
It seems people have more time to spend hours discussing theoretical issues which do not have any practical basis.

1. Plz advice them they should try to wake-up before at lest 45 min before sun rise
2. Plz advice them to sleep so deeply that they can wake up after sun rise, Caz angle will not write while person is sleeping. [More practical]:cheesygri

Salam

rqsnnt
14-09-2010, 11:44 AM
A....
What we can tell u is about wetdreams loll. I read somewhere in a fatwa that if u have wetdreams regularly (everyday) and u don't have enought time to do gusl. then u can just wash off the impurity and offer Fajr prayer and then do the Gusl later. but i don't know that does the same applies for ur problem.

Very interested to know the source. I m not a doctor, but my little understanding is that if u have wetdreams regularly (everyday) then he must visit a doctor.

salam

Saeed M
14-09-2010, 02:02 PM
:salam:

I read somewhere in a fatwa that if u have wetdreams regularly (everyday) and u don't have enought time to do gusl. then u can just wash off the impurity and offer Fajr prayer and then do the Gusl later

This is not correct according to what I know.

As for the original question, brother alfatiha is correct. Ghusl doesn't need to take so long.

Stand under the shower, making sure the whole body is wet, gargle and rinse the nose once, step out of the bath, (modestly) allow the wife to step into the bath then start drying yourself.

Remember to leave more time for your wife as she will have longer hair.

GenN
14-09-2010, 03:20 PM

This is not correct according to what I know.

As for the original question, brother alfatiha is correct. Ghusl doesn't need to take so long.

Stand under the shower, making sure the whole body is wet, gargle and rinse the nose once, step out of the bath, (modestly) allow the wife to step into the bath then start drying yourself.

Remember to leave more time for your wife as she will have longer hair.

:jazak: however i do not think that is still a practical answer becasue

1. No matter what the ideals are, in reality it does take most people more than 2-3 minutes to have a bath
2. Even if it did take people only 2-3 minutes, then what about in the same situation posted by visitor a couple wake up to find 7 minutes left before sunrise, it takes 30 seconds to get to bathroom, 30 seconds for water to heat up (6 mins left). Husband takes bath in 3 mins (3 mins left) wife takes bath in 3 mins (No mins left) , fajr salaat is missed by wife (or husband if other way around, or wet-dreamer). (this is in an almost perfect and ideal situation but in most cases this will never happen it will always take longer)

With 10 mins left, realistically only one person will be able to have bath and read salaat on time. The question is which one, or whats needs to be done?

alfatiha
14-09-2010, 03:39 PM
:ws: Kitchen has water too. The husband can take "shower" in the sink and I think it is doable. Imagine doing i'tikaf in the masjid where there is no shower room and only wudhu' area and you need to do ghusl. Be creative.

Saeed M
14-09-2010, 03:47 PM

:jazak: however i do not think that is still a practical answer becasue

1. No matter what the ideals are, in reality it does take most people more than 2-3 minutes to have a bath
2. Even if it did take people only 2-3 minutes, then what about in the same situation posted by visitor a couple wake up to find 7 minutes left before sunrise, it takes 30 seconds to get to bathroom, 30 seconds for water to heat up (6 mins left). Husband takes bath in 3 mins (3 mins left) wife takes bath in 3 mins (No mins left) , fajr salaat is missed by wife (or husband if other way around, or wet-dreamer). (this is in an almost perfect and ideal situation but in most cases this will never happen it will always take longer)

With 10 mins left, realistically only one person will be able to have bath and read salaat on time. The question is which one, or whats needs to be done?

We are actually talking about situations that are nowhere near ideal.

A person must try to be as quick as possible and pray.

As brother alfatiha said, be creative. Let the other person gargle and rinse their nose while the first is still in the shower, then the first can come out whilst the second one stands under the water.

Regarding the other question (about priorities, who should shower first) there are none that I am aware of.

jav12345
14-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Firstly, if this situation occured and one of the two did not get to perform ghusl on time, there is no concession to make tayammum. Ghusl must be performed and if the time for salah finishes, qada will be performed. And secondly, if it is such a major problem as it is made out to be and there is also a genuine concern about fajar, I'm sure there is no need to contact Sunniforum for an answer. You understand your situation and the facilities in your house better than anyone, and thus, you must find a practical solution to ensure your fajr salah is not made qada.

Saeed M
14-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Firstly, if this situation occured and one of the two did not get to perform ghusl on time, there is no concession to make tayammum. Ghusl must be performed and if the time for salah finishes, qada will be performed. And secondly, if it is such a major problem as it is made out to be and there is also a genuine concern about fajar, I'm sure there is no need to contact Sunniforum for an answer. You understand your situation and the facilities in your house better than anyone, and thus, you must find a practical solution to ensure your fajr salah is not made qada.

:jazak: Mufti sahib.

sudoku
14-09-2010, 04:02 PM

While the wife is in the shower, the husband can do wudhu as well as wash his complete head, arms and legs at the sink, then go to the toilet and do instinjaa, then pop in the shower to cover the rest. No need to dry, just put on some clothes and pray your fardh fajr. Easy.

Colonel_Hardstone
14-09-2010, 04:13 PM

In the long term Husband and wife need to control their Nafs and give priority to Salah in their life and need to work out schedule for their personal matters.

Salah is equally Fardh on both husband and wife and 10 minutes is more than enough time for both to take a shower and pray. Each Fardh Ghusl (satisfying minimum requirements) should take no more than 180 seconds (3 minutes MAXIMUM) each, taking your clothes OFF and back ON should take less than a minute.

Then after Salah you take your own time in proper Ghusl.

This is a real situation in many households, when your children are over 5-6 you cannot take Showers together. Due to children you cannot take showers in Kitchen and act in a way which will be inappropriate to younger children.

Moreover when your children are grown up or growing up, you also need to be careful in your bedroom and again need to work out schedule for their personal matters.

No offense but I am amazed at lack of foresight and discipline amongst Muslims. On flights you see people sleep all night and then wake up 5 minutes before Fajar end and the entire HAJJ FLIGHT is rushing for Wudhu...You are all Hajees, didnt you consider the fact that you have to pray and previously have to make Wudhu?

No offense to any husbands and/or wives reading this.

:jazak:

The Fake Shaykh
14-09-2010, 06:04 PM

No offense but I am amazed at lack of foresight and discipline amongst Muslims. On flights you see people sleep all night and then wake up 5 minutes before Fajar end and the entire HAJJ FLIGHT is rushing for Wudhu...You are all Hajees, didnt you consider the fact that you have to pray and previously have to make Wudhu?
brother colonel, what you have mentioned is better than when i was returining from hajj. The whole plane was full of hajis, it was fajr time, me and my cousin tried waking evryone up, did azan, but only 1 person woke up and prayed fajr with us. A unfortunate reality:cry:

Adeel bin Minhaj
15-09-2010, 03:17 AM

I am sorry but no one is forcing you to have relations late at night which then lead to waking up late.
if you have children and have to wait for them to sleep, then no one is forcing you NOT to make them sleep earlier.
if you are on medicines and have trouble waking up on time, how about sleep earlier?? I am sure the medicines make you sleep longer, so pull back that window and hit the bed earlier.
if late night is the only time you get to spend with your wife.. plan something else.. how about wake up early.. pray fajr, then have relations and then make ghusl?

sorry for being so blunt.. but no need to circumvent and come up with what if scenarios just to satisfy your desires..

London786
15-09-2010, 05:28 AM
listen bro...that was a genuine question which he asked. Those that are saying they can do ghusl in 3 mins...how??? It takes me at least 20 minutes and even then before I leave the bath I'm rubbing my hands all over the body as I'm extremely paranoid. Same with going to the toilet. It takes for ever. I can never understand how a guy can go to the toilet and be out in 1 minute?? When I used to go jamaat the other guys would always wonder how comes I would disappear for so long??:cheesygri

With regards to Hajj, flights, travelling etc....don't get me started on such things. Some people think salah is not prescribed when they are flying or travelling so they do qazah. Others think I'm going to be called a terrorist. Others don't want the whiteman to see them washing their feet in the bathroom (I can sympathise with this as when I travel I always try to wear leather socks as my massive size 10 feet cannot fit into those tiny sinks). Others are scared to pray in public as the whiteman will look at them....but this is all due to lack of imaan....inshallah a chilla with tableegh jamaat should sort such things out.

Al-Faruqi
15-09-2010, 06:25 AM
listen bro...that was a genuine question which he asked. Those that are saying they can do ghusl in 3 mins...how??? It takes me at least 20 minutes and even then before I leave the bath I'm rubbing my hands all over the body as I'm extremely paranoid. Same with going to the toilet. It takes for ever. I can never understand how a guy can go to the toilet and be out in 1 minute?? When I used to go jamaat the other guys would always wonder how comes I would disappear for so long??:cheesygri

With regards to Hajj, flights, travelling etc....don't get me started on such things. Some people think salah is not prescribed when they are flying or travelling so they do qazah. Others think I'm going to be called a terrorist. Others don't want the whiteman to see them washing their feet in the bathroom (I can sympathise with this as when I travel I always try to wear leather socks as my massive size 10 feet cannot fit into those tiny sinks). Others are scared to pray in public as the whiteman will look at them....but this is all due to lack of imaan....inshallah a chilla with tableegh jamaat should sort such things out.

I am also amazed at brothers who need only 5min for ghusl. I mean, most people actually need between 3-5 min for wud, so how can they achieve ghusl in 5mins?

Does someone know what the "normal" duration of a ghusl should be?

sudoku
15-09-2010, 06:57 AM

5 mins for wudhu? woah... that's long.

As for ghusl, i'm not sure why 5 mins wouldn't be enough. Where talking about the fardh here, not extra things like sunnaat etc. It really only takes a couple of minutes, unless someone is a paranoid person.

Sulaiman84
15-09-2010, 07:07 AM

Come to think of it, I've found that taking ghusl with a bucket is quicker than taking it in a shower. You also don't waste as much water.

ankaboot
15-09-2010, 08:49 AM
Assalamu alaikum, Where there is a will, there is a way. When there are time constraint or water is limited, then all you need to do is the Fard Ghusl which comprises of making intention intention in your heart for Ghusl of janaabat, Gargling 1 time, Cleaning your nostrils 1 time and letting water flow over the whole body from the hair on the head to the toes. Once that's done get out and wear your clothes and make your Fard Salaat. do the Faraidh only, read small Surahs, Read the Tasbeehat in Ruku and Sajdah 1 time only, and make Salaam after Attahiyaat. Alhamdulillah The Ghusl is done and the Salaat is done.

Just want to add that while one spouse is busy with the Ghusl the other can do istinjaa on the toilet and do the Gargling and washing the head and whtever else is possible in the Sink and rush to the shower as soon as the other person is out. When time is so short you cannot indulge in the luxury of Shampoo and Soap and smelling good. Salaat is Fard smelling good in Salaat is not one of the Faraaidh.

Many married couples go through this type of situations quite a few times, and that is why Alah the Most Wise has kept things simple and easy for these situations.

Once the Salaat is done, have firm belief that Allah has accepted your Salaat , you shouldn't have any doubts about that. Maybe this mght be your most accepted/Qbool Salaat because of the Fikr and effort you put in it. You can later on go and indulge yourself into a luxurious bath with the Shmpoo, Conditioner, soap and whatever else, but you do not need to epeat your Salaat. The one that you made in time will be the one that is Fard, even if you make 100 Rakaat later because you think the one you said before was not okay, all those 100 Rakaat will be considered Nafl.

I hope I have not confused you or anyone else VISITOR. I can guarantee you you Ghusl the way I explained should be done in 2 minutes max. inshaAllah.

May Allah accept our Salaats and our intentions, ameen.

GenN
15-09-2010, 09:31 AM

We are actually talking about situations that are nowhere near ideal.

A person must try to be as quick as possible and pray.

As brother alfatiha said, be creative. Let the other person gargle and rinse their nose while the first is still in the shower, then the first can come out whilst the second one stands under the water.

Regarding the other question (about priorities, who should shower first) there are none that I am aware of.

:jazak: both.

The answers to the questions are there, no priorities as such and no concessions. And yes depending on the house and facilities a person has to be as creative as possible.

As for the people who were implying about following desires instead of planning ahead and prioritising salaah, then I'm sorry some of us are not as perfect as you lot, some of us are weaklings and we do oversleep on occasions and our plans do not always go according to plan and so that's why we wanted to know the answer to this very real scenario.

Where there is a will, there is a way. When there are time constraint or water is limited, then all you need to do is the Fard Ghusl which comprises of making intention intention in your heart for Ghusl of janaabat, Gargling 1 time, Cleaning your nostrils 1 time and letting water flow over the whole body from the hair on the head to the toes. Once that's done get out and wear your clothes and make your Fard Salaat. do the Faraidh only, read small Surahs, Read the Tasbeehat in Ruku and Sajdah 1 time only, and make Salaam after Attahiyaat. Alhamdulillah The Ghusl is done and the Salaat is done.

Just want to add that while one spouse is busy with the Ghusl the other can do istinjaa on the toilet and do the Gargling and washing the head and whtever else is possible in the Sink and rush to the shower as soon as the other person is out. When time is so short you cannot indulge in the luxury of Shampoo and Soap and smelling good. Salaat is Fard smelling good in Salaat is not one of the Faraaidh.

Is gargling mouth and rinsing nose fard 3 times or just once? I always thought it was fard to rinse nose and gargle mouth 3 times? Or is it fard just once, and sunnah 3 times? Can one of you mawlanas please confirm that the fard is to just gargle the mouth once and to sniff water up nose is fard just once. If that is the case it will pprobably speed up my ghusl by about 10 mins - as sniffing water up the nose 3 times is what kills time for me and a lot of other people.

ankaboot
15-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Assalamu Alaikum, I am not a Mawlana brother GenN, but am connected to some Alhamdulillah, so I can tell you with confidence that gargling and and rinsing the nose once is Fard, 3 times is Sunnah.

I can attest to what you are saying from personal experience that sometimes the Alarm clock will be going on so loudly and to me in my sleep it seems like a lullaby telling me to go to sleep, then there are other times when I could get up with the sound of a tick. It is important though to make sincere intention of getting up for Fajr before going to sleep, inshaAllah if for some reason we do not get up we will get the blessings for our intentions.

Once a person is asleep they more or less do not have much cntrol over themselves, they are in a state of unconsciousness or more or less like dead, that's why our beloed RasoolAllah Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam told us to read the duaa below when we get up from our sleep.

Alhamdu Lillahil Lazee Ahyaana
All praises are due to Allah who has given us life
Bada Ma Amaatana
after taking it away
Wa Ilayhin Nushoor
And to him is our raising (on the Day of Judgment)

Salaams.

Colonel_Hardstone
15-09-2010, 10:45 AM

In the long term Husband and wife need to control their Nafs and give priority to Salah in their life and need to work out schedule for their personal matters.

Salah is equally Fardh on both husband and wife and 10 minutes is more than enough time for both to take a shower and pray. Each Fardh Ghusl (satisfying minimum requirements) should take no more than 180 seconds (3 minutes MAXIMUM) each, taking your clothes OFF and back ON should take less than a minute.

Then after Salah you take your own time in proper Ghusl.

This is a real situation in many households, when your children are over 5-6 you cannot take Showers together. Due to children you cannot take showers in Kitchen and act in a way which will be inappropriate to younger children.

Moreover when your children are grown up or growing up, you also need to be careful in your bedroom and again need to work out schedule for their personal matters.

No offense to any husbands and/or wives reading this.

:salam: All,

After highlighting key components of my post and explaining the Faraidh of Ghusl below:

Passing water into and out of the mouth, i.e. gargling.
Putting water into the Nostrils.
Passing water over the entire body.

I would like to know why it will take ANYONE IN THE WORLD more then 3 minutes to do this?

You perform Ghusl (satisfy the Fardh) and pray on time.

Why would this Ghusl take 20 minutes??? I would genuinely like to know how people will ahieve a 20 minute Ghusl (satisfy the Fardh)?

London786
15-09-2010, 11:17 AM
bro it is very difficult to get under all those hairs especially for us south asian people. The problem is the body has some difficult portions like the armpits and the nearby areas which require some careful attention otherwise you will leave a part not wet. I am an extremly paranoid person and yes wudhu takes me 4-5 minutes with the difficulty being the feet especially the bottom part

make dua for me

Colonel_Hardstone
15-09-2010, 11:21 AM
bro it is very difficult to get under all those hairs especially for us south asian people. The problem is the body has some difficult portions like the armpits and the nearby areas which require some careful attention otherwise you will leave a part not wet. I am an extremly paranoid person and yes wudhu takes me 4-5 minutes with the difficulty being the feet especially the bottom part

make dua for me

In the Military every day we were given 5 minutes to:

a) Use the Toilet
b) Shower
c) Shave

In the US Military sometimes you get MENTALLY RETARDED people (who are later discovered and discharged) and I have seen them achieve all three in 5 minutes so are you telling me that a Muslim who is concerned about missing his salah cannot achieve the following in 3 minutes:

Passing water into and out of the mouth, i.e. gargling ONCE
Putting water into the Nostrils ONCE
Passing water over the entire body ONCE

Read the red bold highlighting and if anyone can't achieve this within 3 minutes they have some very serious problems in life, they need to overcome.

I am Sorry to be blunt and honest.

P.S: I have seen your hair so you have no excuse :- ) And if someone hair are so fancy that they are standing between them and Salah they need to CHOP THEM OFF!

alfatiha
15-09-2010, 11:25 AM

In this situation usually try to think how to take ghusl when there is not enough water and that's how you'll manage :insh: to take ghusl in 3 minutes or less. Fill water in big bucket and squatting down. Pour the water down on the top of your head. If you don't have bucket, try shower while squatting, take the shower head just on top of your head and :insh: the water will go through everywhere. Then stand up and splash the water on the front once and water on the back once. If your conditions need to do masah, rubbing (like the Maliki) on every part then do it quickly. Put a clock in the bathroom just to time yourself. Don't forget your feet soles.

If this regularly happen, try to do once in awhile when you don't need ghusl or in rush of praying, just for a sake of trying. Time yourself. Practice makes perfect. (Not recommended, but just in case).

When el nio hit our country we don't have flowing water regularly and stuck in that situation for months. We use one bottle for wudhu'. It was hard at the beginning but at the end we get used to it.

It is understandable that some people has more skins and hairs that they need more time to do ghusl.

Question:
1. Can we hold pee for this situation? Pee after salah? Or is it part of ghusl as well? Some people take more than 10 min to pee.

Colonel_Hardstone
15-09-2010, 11:32 AM

In this situation usually try to think how to take ghusl when there is not enough water and that's how you'll manage :insh: to take ghusl in 3 minutes or less. Fill water in big bucket and squatting down. Pour the water down on the top of your head. If you don't have bucket, try shower while squatting, take the shower head just on top of your head and :insh: the water will go through everywhere. Then stand up and splash the water on the front once and water on the back once. If your conditions need to do masah, rubbing (like the Maliki) on every part then do it quickly. Put a clock in the bathroom just to time yourself. Don't forget your feet soles.

If this regularly happen, try to do once in awhile when you don't need ghusl or in rush of praying, just for a sake of trying. Time yourself. Practice makes perfect. (Not recommended, but just in case).

When el nio hit our country we don't have flowing water regularly and stuck in that situation for months. We use one bottle for wudhu'. It was hard at the beginning but at the end we get used to it.

It is understandable that some people has more skins and hairs that they need more time to do ghusl.

Question:
1. Can we hold pee for this situation? Pee after salah? Or is it part of ghusl as well? Some people take more than 10 min to pee.

Shaykh (Dr) Awaidullah (HA) in Manchester in Shaf'ae Fiqh Lessons explained in Shaf'ae Fiqh the Mustahab quantity water which needs to be used for Wudhu.

And then demonstrated it.

He took a Coca Cola bottle filled it less then half desribed the evidence and then perfomed FULL WUDHU with all the Sunnah.

For those who don't know here is a UK Coca Cola Bottle, imgaine it less then half filled with Water and doing your full Wudhu with it without missing any of the Sunan in your Madhab. The bottle holds 1500ml so half of it would be 750 ml and he had slightly less then half.

http://i54.tinypic.com/34raxw9.jpg

And indeed he said that he does this regularly and was surprised when people asked me initially that it can't be done and thats why he demonstrated it.

Ahnaf Defender
15-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Asslam-o-ALaikum,

hmm. so Colonel Hardstone u have spend time in US Amry ???

sudoku
15-09-2010, 08:05 PM

Shaykh (Dr) Awaidullah (HA) in Manchester in Shaf'ae Fiqh Lessons explained in Shaf'ae Fiqh the Mustahab quantity water which needs to be used for Wudhu.

And then demonstrated it.

He took a Coca Cola bottle filled it less then half desribed the evidence and then perfomed FULL WUDHU with all the Sunnah.

For those who don't know here is a UK Coca Cola Bottle, imgaine it less then half filled with Water and doing your full Wudhu with it without missing any of the Sunan in your Madhab. The bottle holds 1500ml so half of it would be 750 ml and he had slightly less then half.

http://i54.tinypic.com/34raxw9.jpg

And indeed he said that he does this regularly and was surprised when people asked me initially that it can't be done and thats why he demonstrated it.

It's definitely possible. My friend and I made wudhu with a two litre bottle and we had some left over.

dr76
15-09-2010, 11:23 PM

It's definitely possible. My friend and I made wudhu with a two litre bottle and we had some left over.

Assalam alaikum w.w.

better still use the bottles with spray dispensers. like those u get with window cleaning liquids. ive used them for wudhu on a moving bus back in india.. leaves very little water down while wetting the necessary adhaa...

wa assalam..

bugmenot
15-09-2010, 11:37 PM

one such example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx694ruAh4Y

Colonel_Hardstone
15-09-2010, 11:43 PM

Masha'Allah this is very similar what Shayukh showed in the course and similar Athar he quoted...

Everybody should watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx694ruAh4Y

Salman_Hanafi
16-09-2010, 12:05 AM

Masha'Allah this is very similar what Shayukh showed in the course and similar Athar he quoted...

:salam:.....seems there was too much barakah in the water he was using :D...The sheikh didnt gargle nor did he make khalaal of the beard....these two acts can be left out in the sunnah wudhu?

Adeel bin Minhaj
16-09-2010, 12:51 AM
why are people equating ghusl to a regular showering/bath? in ghusl you dont need to apply soaps/shampoo..and in Hanafi, you dont need to "rub/masah" all over either...

in fact in a shower, the mere quantity and force of water is enough to completely drench the person in less than 1 minute ....

Visitor
16-09-2010, 01:29 PM
I just came back to this thread and read the posts since I last posted.
Jazakallah khairan to all the brothers and sisters who very kindly and wisely gave their advice and help. Mashallah the understanding and analysis of my situation by GenN and Colonel Hardstone was a breath of fresh air. Allah has given you baseerah and life experience mashallah. There were others too.
I was a little taken aback and upset with some of the harsh, judgemental, hasty and unsympathetic views that were posted. It was even sadder that some of these came from ulama I think.
We should always give our brothers 70 excuses. Maybe he has a very real condition that does not allow him to do ghusl in the kitchen sink. Maybe there are other people in the house. Maybe it takes time for the water to heat up. Maybe he does not have a power shower. Maybe he loves his sick wife and wants her to have priority in the shower so much so that she gets her namaz but he misses out..etc.

I ask my questions on here because there are no English-speaking ulama I can approach in my community. Also my question is embarrassing.
But I asked it because it happened ONCE, and as a muslim I don’t want it to happen AGAIN. Is that wrong?
I am merely taking precautions and looking forward.
On the occasion that it did happen I did not know what to do. We both woke up together. Who had priority in the shower?
I told the wife to shower. When she came out there was no time left for me to shower AND pray. So she got her fajr but I prayed qazr after ishraq.
I had to use my logic as it was all I had.
Now I know (from the views on here) that I did the correct thing.
However the question still remains – if both get up at the same time, WHO gets priority in the shower? HOW is it decided?
It seems like it’s simply down to who GETS to the shower FIRST.

Ps. I made mention of the 10min shower time kind of arbitrarily. The argument still remains – what if both woke up with 2 mins left etc. The time can be x mins, and that x mins is not enough for a couple to both shower AND offer fajr.
Also as a Hanafi I was always taught that you have to make sure that water passes over every millimetre of your body. To the extent that if one pin head-sized part remains unwetted then your ghusl is INCOMPLETE. To guarantee this you have to rub as well as pouring water as there are parts of the body that can remain dry after a simple water pour from above. The only way around this would be to submerge yourself in a tub of water. But to fill the tub takes time.

Ours is a very real and practical problem poised by a couple who do not wish to miss another fajr namaz IN THEIR LIFE again. A mumin is never bitten by the same hole twice. There is nothing wrong with gaining knowledge for a future event which may happen again.

It was a shame that it attracted so many hasty and judgemental comments.

But jazakallah khairan to those who replied with compassion. I felt the sunnah in those posts.

safinatun_naja
16-09-2010, 03:49 PM
Assalam alaikum w.w.

better still use the bottles with spray dispensers. like those u get with window cleaning liquids. ive used them for wudhu on a moving bus back in india.. leaves very little water down while wetting the necessary adhaa...

wa assalam..

As Salamu alaikum,

Doesn't the water have to flow over the limbs of Wudhu ? It doesn't seem like misting the limbs would suffice.

Colonel_Hardstone
16-09-2010, 04:11 PM
I just came back to this thread and read the posts since I last posted.
Jazakallah khairan to all the brothers and sisters who very kindly and wisely gave their advice and help. Mashallah the understanding and analysis of my situation by GenN and Colonel Hardstone was a breath of fresh air. Allah has given you baseerah and life experience mashallah. There were others too.
I was a little taken aback and upset with some of the harsh, judgemental, hasty and unsympathetic views that were posted. It was even sadder that some of these came from ulama I think.
We should always give our brothers 70 excuses. Maybe he has a very real condition that does not allow him to do ghusl in the kitchen sink. Maybe there are other people in the house. Maybe it takes time for the water to heat up. Maybe he does not have a power shower. Maybe he loves his sick wife and wants her to have priority in the shower so much so that she gets her namaz but he misses out..etc.

I ask my questions on here because there are no English-speaking ulama I can approach in my community. Also my question is embarrassing.
But I asked it because it happened ONCE, and as a muslim I dont want it to happen AGAIN. Is that wrong?
I am merely taking precautions and looking forward.
On the occasion that it did happen I did not know what to do. We both woke up together. Who had priority in the shower?
I told the wife to shower. When she came out there was no time left for me to shower AND pray. So she got her fajr but I prayed qazr after ishraq.
I had to use my logic as it was all I had.
Now I know (from the views on here) that I did the correct thing.
However the question still remains if both get up at the same time, WHO gets priority in the shower? HOW is it decided?
It seems like its simply down to who GETS to the shower FIRST.

Ps. I made mention of the 10min shower time kind of arbitrarily. The argument still remains what if both woke up with 2 mins left etc. The time can be x mins, and that x mins is not enough for a couple to both shower AND offer fajr.
Also as a Hanafi I was always taught that you have to make sure that water passes over every millimetre of your body. To the extent that if one pin head-sized part remains unwetted then your ghusl is INCOMPLETE. To guarantee this you have to rub as well as pouring water as there are parts of the body that can remain dry after a simple water pour from above. The only way around this would be to submerge yourself in a tub of water. But to fill the tub takes time.

Ours is a very real and practical problem poised by a couple who do not wish to miss another fajr namaz IN THEIR LIFE again. A mumin is never bitten by the same hole twice. There is nothing wrong with gaining knowledge for a future event which may happen again.

It was a shame that it attracted so many hasty and judgemental comments.

But jazakallah khairan to those who replied with compassion. I felt the sunnah in those posts.

This is the advantge of forums that you can post annonymously and not feel shy and still learn. Make dua for all of us.

Abu_Bilal
17-09-2010, 06:42 AM

Assalam Alaikum.

The brother in the video, did not make any extra effort, so that the water reaches all of his beard. I have a thick beard and i do my best to wash it and make sure that the water has reached the visible skin. The rest of the wudhoo is fine.

alfatiha
17-09-2010, 08:49 AM
Assalam Alaikum.

The brother in the video, did not make any extra effort, so that the water reaches all of his beard. I have a thick beard and i do my best to wash it and make sure that the water has reached the visible skin. The rest of the wudhoo is fine.

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?HD=3&ID=4192&CATE=342

6. Permeating a thick beard with wet fingers. One is only required to wash the outside of one's thick beard during wudu. However, after washing the face, it is recommended for a man to put water in his palm, put his beard into it, then separate his fingers and push them through his beard from his chest forward. Imam Ramli is of the opinion that a man in ihram should not permeate his beard thus, while Ibn Hajar holds that he should do so gently.

GenN
17-09-2010, 11:22 AM

Wow, I always wanted to know how to do wudu and ghusl from a container, as I am too used to tap. I found it extremely difficult to handle jug with one hand and do wudu with other, but this video shows exactly how to.

I have a few questions that are probably more to do with my waswasa than anything else but i would prefer someone clarify so I can remove my waswasa inshAllah.

1. In the video he puts his hand into the container to draw out water when sniffing his nose. I was under the impression that we should not do this as there is risk of dirty water drops (not najis water, just dirty, e.g a bit of snot going back into container). I always pour water from container into hand sniff nose and then rinse my hand, then pour water into hand, sniff rinse hand (repeat 3 times). In the video forget the rinsing of hand, he just puts his possibly dirty hand into container?

2. Same with Ghusl from bucket, what happens if drops of dirty water go back into bucket? before puting jug into bucket to draw out water i rinse my hand before it goes back into bucket and then using my hand to draw out water from bucket, i rinse jug at the point where my hand was touching jug to amke sure no dirty water drops go back into bucket (not neccassaily najis drops, just dirty drops).

3. What happens if a few drops of water splash back into bucket when having a bath, off you body (again not najis, just dirty) and

4. What if your feel sure a najis drop or 2 spalashed back into water in bucket during ghusl?

Is this just waswasa or waht? Do i need to constantly rinse everything incase i make water in jug/bucket dirty?

bugmenot
17-09-2010, 09:18 PM

^^ He's using his left hand to clean his nose.

ankaboot
17-09-2010, 09:42 PM
Assalamu alaikum, it is sunnah to use your left hand to clean the nose.

salaams.

GenN
18-09-2010, 06:59 AM

yes he is using his left hand to clean nose, but when he takes water to his nose with his right hand, there are/will be some drops/bits dripping down onto his right hand? And then this right hand goes into the container of water with the dirty water? :$:$:$

alfatiha
18-09-2010, 11:37 AM

yes he is using his left hand to clean nose, but when he takes water to his nose with his right hand, there are/will be some drops/bits dripping down onto his right hand? And then this right hand goes into the container of water with the dirty water? :$:$:$

The term that you were looking for dirty water is musta'mal. If you watch at 1:10 he washed his hands three times without dipping into the container. A friend of mine said that after that you can dip your hand into the bucket and it won't be considered as musta'mal, but it is better to have an Alim to clarify this matter. When I did wudhu', if using small bottle, I just pour from the right elbow down with my left hand and rub it all over. Since I'm using bottle, the chance of drops of water going back inside is pretty slim.

والله اعلم

GenN
18-09-2010, 02:16 PM
The term that you were looking for dirty water is musta'mal. If you watch at 1:10 he washed his hands three times without dipping into the container. A friend of mine said that after that you can dip your hand into the bucket and it won't be considered as musta'mal, but it is better to have an Alim to clarify this matter. When I did wudhu', if using small bottle, I just pour from the right elbow down with my left hand and rub it all over. Since I'm using bottle, the chance of drops of water going back inside is pretty slim.

والله اعلم

so can an alim clarify the above please? Where have Mawlanas saeed and jav gone?