PDA

View Full Version : ANSWERED: Ahlus sunnah the majority or minority?

Kareem
13-07-2005, 06:23 PM
:salam:The Strangeness of the Sunnah and its Adherents (http://www.sunnipath.com/resources/Questions/qa00000901.aspx)

this article is about the trangeness of the sunnah, insprired by the hadith that says “Islàm began as something strange and will return to being strange, as it began”

it gives these narations from past Ulema

Al-Hasan Al-Basrï (r) used to say to his companions: “O Ahl-us-Sunnah! Be gentle with one another and may Allàh have mercy on you. For indeed, you are from amongst the fewest of people.” [2]

Yunus Ibn ‘Ubaid (r) said: “There is not a thing more stranger than the Sunnah. And what is more stranger than it, is the one who knows it.”

Sufyàn Ath-Thawrï (r) said: “Treat the Ahl-us-Sunnah kindly, for verily, they are strangers.”[3]

“I swear by Allàh, that if a man were to reach these evils, he would hear someone say: ‘Come over to me!’ and someone else say: ‘Come over to me!’ So he would say: ‘No! I do not want anything but the Sunnah of Muhammad (s)’, seeking after it and asking questions on it. Indeed this one will be given a great reward. So be that way, if Allàh wills!”

so whats the deal, the whole article seems like a salafi article, they are definatly not the majority and they fit the description of the whole article. salafis are seen as strange and they are mocked. and they especially fit the last description (the one in red)

how often do pople who defend taqleed and suffism throw the 'majority' arguement in the air. i don't know what to believe anymore, my whole view on salafis changed when reading this, i used to be confident that they were not right now now, i don't know. ironicly the article is from sunnipath.

who else could this article describe, because people who follow madhabs and obviously not the strangers nor the minority.

Mossy
13-07-2005, 06:48 PM
Majority of the minority of course.

Minority of what? Humans. Majority of what? Muslims.

Kareem
13-07-2005, 07:01 PM
Majority of the minority of course.

Minority of what? Humans. Majority of what? Muslims.
of muslims

Imàm Al-Awzà’ï (r) said:
“As for this, then it does not mean that Islam will go away, but rather it means that the Ahl-us-Sunnah[1] will go away, up to the point that there will not remain in a land, any from them except one person.”

to me the article reads like it is saying that within the muslim ummah, ahlus sunnah wal jammaah will be the minority, so much that in every land only one will remain.

layman
14-07-2005, 11:28 AM
asalaam walaikum,
this is what the article says-:

Sufyàn Ath-Thawrï (r) said: “Treat the Ahl-us-Sunnah kindly, for verily, they are strangers.”[3]

The understanding of the term “Sunnah” to these scholars, was the way of the Prophet (s) – that which he and his companions were upon – free from Doubts (Ash-Shubuhàt) and Desires (Ash-Shahawàt). Due to this, Al-Fudail Ibn ‘Iyàd (r) used to say: “Ahl-us-Sunnah is he who knows what is entering his stomach from the halàl.”

That is because the consumption of halàl is from the greatest aspects of the Sunnah, which the Prophet (s) and his companions were upon.

Then it remained the custom of the majority of the later scholars, from the scholars of hadïth and other fields, that the Sunnah consisted of what was free from Doubts in regards to Creed. This was especially the case with issues such as the belief in Allàh, His angels, His books, His messengers, the Last Day, and other issues such as Qadar and the merits of the Sahàbah. They compiled literary works concerning this knowledge and named them books of “Sunnah”. This knowledge was only labeled with the name “Sunnah”, because its significance was tremendous and all those who opposed it were on the brink of destruction.

And as for the complete Sunnah, then it is the path that is free and safe from Doubts and Desires, as has been stated by Al-Hasan, Yunus Ibn ‘Ubaid, Sufyàn, Al-Fudail and others besides them. Due to this, its adherents are described as strange because of their small number and rarity in the Last Days."

So you gotta look at what it means when it says "sunnah" , is this the sunnah that the salafis are on and everybody else is neglecting?