PDA

View Full Version : Are Saudi Sim Cards simply plug n play for UK people?

Visitor
13-04-2012, 11:15 AM
I've got a Nokia phone on the Virgin network. It also uses the T-Mobile and Orange network at times as they have an agreement amongst themselves.

In Saudi do the popular PAYG sim cards (Mobily? etc,) just pop in and away you go?
Or do I have to make sure my mobile phone is unlocked to all international networks before I travel?
And do I have to make sure my phone is a certain "band" as well? (I think it's a quad band phone).

snyper
13-04-2012, 09:56 PM
Virgin uses t-mobile network so most likely its locked. You need to get your phone unlocked in order to use saudi sim whilst abroad.

Visitor
29-05-2012, 04:16 PM
I'm thinking of doing this...taking my phone to makkah...putting a local saudi sim card in...if it works, then great...if it doesnt work then i can get the phone unlocked from a street vendor in makkah for a fraction of the price it would have cost me in the UK.

good idea? ;)

Colonel_Hardstone
30-05-2012, 10:48 AM
I'm thinking of doing this...taking my phone to makkah...putting a local saudi sim card in...if it works, then great...if it doesnt work then i can get the phone unlocked from a street vendor in makkah for a fraction of the price it would have cost me in the UK.

good idea? ;)

:ws:

Not really because in Saudia they may or may not be able to lock your specific phone depending on the model. Pop in an O2 chip and if it works, your phone is unlocked. Most Nokia phones can be unlocked free except for Nokia BB so don't know which phone you have.

:jazak: