Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ignorance of those who self-interpret the Quran and Ahadith

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Ignorance of those who self-interpret the Quran and Ahadith

In recent times we’ve witnessed a steady increase in the number of modern organisations that encourage and promote self-interpretation of Quran and Hadith. This alarming trend is rooted in the concept of liberalism. People are exhorted to approach the Quran and Hadith with on open mind and free-thinking attitude.

In an effort to propagate this ideology seminars and conferences are held throughout the world in which the main thrust is on a free-handed understanding of Quran and Hadith.

These seminars and work-shops are conducted by very eloquent speakers who appear to have attained the gift of the gab. They are fluent and flowing in expression, their fresh ideas appeal to the unwary audience. Furthermore, these proponents of modernity do not bind their attendees to the strict laws of Hijaab; hence we find men and women sitting in the same room albeit in different isles. Amidst all this we also have the factor of impressive degrees and high-sounding institutes. The shallow intellect of a layman is easily swayed under conditions such as these, especially when much leeway is allowed in Islamic practice.

ABANDONING SUNNAH
    Concepts such as the abandonment of Islamic headgear, trivialising of the so-called smaller sunnats of Islam, minimising the need for full hijaab, are easily embraced by Muslims in today’s society. Perceptions such as these form the ideal breeding ground for a quasi-reformation of Islamic belief and practice, ideals on which such organisations pride themselves. However, the point sorely missed by such thinkers and their followers is that revolution and reformation of Deen is neither possible nor acceptable when it comes at the expense of dispensation of the Pristine Teachings of Quran and Sunnah.

Islamic knowledge is the product of Divine revelation, and the correlation between knowledge and practice in Islam is entrenched. How then can Islamic teaching be imparted in an environment where the very tenets of Shariah are flouted? The purpose of true Islamic knowledge is to equip the learner with taqwa and adherence to the Sunnah. But this brand of teaching seems to create an acute aversion towards the Sunnah. Surely, something is wrong somewhere. An Islamic program of study is supposed to turn out true Muslims imbued with the spirit of Ieman. Again the paradox is too conspicuous to ignore.

FREEDOM FROM MATHAAHIB
    In the process of so-called enlightened interpretation of Quran and Hadith, there are numerous dangers that threaten the very roots of this Ummah. One of them is freedom from being bound to a math-hab. When Muslims break out from the confines of a math-hab, they have paved the way for wholesale neglect of Deeni actions.

Another danger is that a free-style understanding of Quran and Hadith gives the laymen a false sense of competence that makes him or her feel independent of ‘ulema. This is a serious predicament that bodes disaster. The Ulema are the guides of this Ummat. It is the height of foolishness to dissociate from one’s guide. Either by design or accident, the consequence of such modernity in Islam is the alienation of the masses from the Ulema. This motive was first mooted by the British when they ruled vast tracts of Muslim land. Later on the Jews contrived to install a wedge between the Ulema and the Ummat. The enemies of Islam realised a long way back that the most effective method of stifling religious and spiritual progress among Muslims is to cut them off from their main source of knowledge, and that is the ‘ulema. Today, sadly, it appears we Muslims are our own worse enemies. We are doing the job for our antagonists. It is from within our own ranks where opposition to orthodox ‘ulema is being fermented.

SELF INTERPRETATION
    But back to self-interpretation of The Quran. It has become almost fashionable among people of all walks of life to deduce and infer meanings from Quran and Hadith. The abundant availability of many Hadith works in English, as well as Quranic translations, appears to have suddenly given people a carte blanche to decipher the intricacies of the Holy Quran. Rasoolullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) warned: “He who interprets The Quran without knowledge let him prepare his place in Hell-fire.” (Tirmizhi) Another hadith qualifies the term “without knowledge”. Also narrated by Imam Tirmizhi, it states: “He who interprets The Quran with his own opinion and is correct, has indeed erred.” This hadith makes two telling points: one, that personal or self-opinionated interpretation of Quran is regarded as interpretation without knowledge. The subtle but indisputable implication here is that knowledge means knowledge acquired through Divine revelation. For without such knowledge, it is impossible to fully understand and decipher the Purport of Allah conveyed through His Divine Speech. If we believe that The Holy Quran is the Eternal, Immortal, and Impeachable Speech of Allah, then by necessity we have to acknowledge that such Speech can only be defined and interpreted through Revelation. That Revelation is the Hadith of Allah’s Rasool (sallallahu alayhi wasallam), referred to by Scholars as revelation not recited (in contrast to Quran which is recited revelation). The second important point conveyed in the above hadith is that regardless of how accurate one’s conjecture and opinion may be, one has still committed a grave error in rendering an interpretation based on personal opinion. Being wrong in spite of being right is only due to the false methodology employed with regards to interpretation and explanation of Quranic meanings.

http://pedarululoom.co.za/index.php?...id=15&Itemid=1

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Re: Ignorance of those who self-interpret the Quran and Ahadith

Rasulullah said: 'Whoever interprets the Qur'an by his own opinion shall take his place in Hell' (Tirmidhi)
    Last edited by a.s.; 21-03-2013 at 09:53 PM.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

When you go to the Qur’an and you read a verse from the Qur’an and you explain that verse without having the proper knowledge, without following the proper methodology, you might be and only Allah knows, actually following your own hawaa, following your own desires, you might be following an inspiration from the Shaytaan, you might be following dhann (conjecture), which Allah speaks about in many places in the Qur’an, or it might actually be some kind of inspiration from Allah , but most likely it is not the last case. And why is it not the last case? Because as we will talk about it later, you did not follow the proper methodology of talking about the Qur’an and if you did not follow a proper methodology of talking about the Qur’an, then you have committed a sin already. Just by talking about the Qur’an, without proper knowledge, by giving interpretation of the Qur’an, without proper knowledge, without proper background, without being qualified to do so, then you’ve already committed a sin. And since you are committing a sin, it is very unlikely in most cases that Allah will bless you through that sin to give you the right interpretation of the Qur’an.

When you say that Allah means this or Allah means that in a specific verse, you are actually speaking or saying something on behalf of Allah , you are actually speaking about Allah , and if you are speaking without knowledge, without ‘ilm, this is one of the greatest sins that you could commit.

http://peacepropagation.com/speaking...out-knowledge/

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Abu Bakr one time said, “What earth would give me place to live and what sky would shade me if I should speak about the Qur’an with my opinion or by something I do not know.”

And `Umar ibn al Khattaab, he also said, “Beware of using your opinion in religious matters.”

And Ibn `Abbaas, the one who the Prophet (saw) made du`aa for him to understand the Qur’an, to get the understanding of the Deen, and to be given by Allah the ta`weel or the understanding of the Qur’an, he also said, “All that there is to follow and obey is the Book of Allah and the Sunnah of His Messenger. Whoever makes any statement after these two according to his opinion, then I do not know if you’ll find among his good deeds or among his sins.”

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Whoever wants not to be kept waiting at Sirat as much as a blink of an eye, let him not say anything about Allah's religion out of his own opinion. [Qurtubi]

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Bismillahir Rahmanir Rahim:
    (Rough translation)
    Hz Abdullah bin Ubaid bin Umair rh.a narrated that Hz Abdullah bin Abbas rz.a said,'' once I was sitting with Hz Umar rz.a. He said- I think Quran has spread among all ppl.
    I said- Amirul mu'minin, I don't like it (spreading of Quran among all n sundry).
    He asked me the reason.
    I replied- When everybody (without enough knowledge n ability) will comprehend Quran at his own will then they'll have disputes n they'll begin to kill one another.
    (Mustadrk Hakim 3/540- Hakim rh.a. Said hadis is sahih ala shart ash-shaikeen , Hayat as sahaba Jild 3 pg#267)

Madhhab
    Hanafi

The Prophet said: "What I am afraid of, most of all, concerning my ummah after me, is the man who will take the Qur'an putting it in the wrong place (i.e. giving wrong interpretations)." (al-Munyatu 'l-murid)

Madhhab
    Hanafi

"Narrated from Hazrat Abu Huraira that Hazrat Rasulullah said : To quarrel about the Qur'an ( arguing with ones opinion) is Kufr"

Summary: it means that to understand the Qur'an without the medium of Sahabah forming ones own opinion.. remaining adamant..further arguing with people on it.. leads one to Kufr.. as we find a warning in this noble saying of the Prophet (salallahu alaihi wasallam) that one who opines something about the holy Qur'an.. even if what he says is right.. the person has erred..

"Hazrat Ibn Abbas (radhi allahu anhuma) narrates from Hazrat Rasulullah (salallahu alaihi wasallam) who informed about the saying of Hazrat Isa that there are three types of actions..
    one about whose being Haqq is very clear.. follow it.. , second.. that which is clearly marked as Batil and wrong.. abstain from it.., thirdly that which is neither clearly maked as Haqq or Batil.. send it towards the Alim ( consult him and then act) "

Summary : it means that in matters which are either doubtful or controversial deeming it Haq or Batil.. instead of running ones own thoughts..indulging in vile arguments and unnecessary quarrels..consult an Alim.. and he shall inform you rightly in the light of Qur'an and sunnah...

Taken from here

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Keep them good posts coming bro
    All praise be to Allah, Rabb of the worlds. Salutations and Salam be on the Chief of all messengers.

“O Allāh, You are my supporter and You are my helper, by You I repel (the enemy) and by You I attack, and by You I battle.” “Sahīh Abī Dāwūd” “Sahīh Al-Jamilah“Al-Kalim At-Tayyib”

Madhhab
    Hanafi

All prophets cursed the following:

1. He who interpolates into the Book of Allah what is not in it [he who lies by saying "It is written so in the Qur'an" or who interprets the Qur'an according to his/her own point of view]
    2. He who denies Allah’s qadar
    3. A cruel ruler who exalts whom Allah has degraded and who degrades whom Allah has exalted.
    [Tabarani]