Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ramadhan 2013 - Important Ahadith realting to Ramadhan

Madhhab
    Hanbali

Arrow Ramadhan 2013 - Important Ahadith realting to Ramadhan

Introduction

With the month of Ramadan being less than a month away it is imperative that we remind one another of some of the most important actions a Muslim must be implementing in their day to day life so as to prepare themself in the best possible way for the great month of Ramadan which before we know it will be upon us .

i will first post Ahadith regading the coming of Ramadhan and how to prepare by highlighting key parts.

Then i will post important Ahadith in realtion to Ramadhan and what we can do, to make the most of this Ramadhan,

All my content is from hadithaday who have send me many Ahadith through email, and i will add my own commentary when needed, . So i will post them, and inshallah it will be useful to everybody.

If there are any mistakes then please let me know.

We ask Allah to allow us to benefit from the Ahadith of Rasulullah and to increase us in beneficial knowledge.
    Last edited by sheikh_S; 10-06-2013 at 01:56 PM.
    “People need knowledge more than they need food and drink, because they need food and drink two or three times a day, but they need knowledge all the time.” - Imam Ahmed ibn Hanbal

مذهبي في الفقه هو مذهب الإمام أحمد بن حنبل رحمه الله

Madhhab
    Hanbali

Default Re: Ramadhan 2013 - Important Ahadith realting to Ramadhan

This thread might also be useful - http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/show...th-of-Sha’baan
    “People need knowledge more than they need food and drink, because they need food and drink two or three times a day, but they need knowledge all the time.” - Imam Ahmed ibn Hanbal

Madhhab
    Hanbali

Hadith 1 – Tasting The Sweetness of Eemaan (Faith)

Anas ibn Maalik (radi Allahu anhu) narrated that the Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said, “There are three things which if a person finds them, he has found the sweetness of faith: when Allah and His Messenger are dearer to him than all else; when he loves a person for no other reason than for the sake of Allah; and when he hates to return to kufr after Allah has saved him from it as he would hate to be thrown into fire.”

[Sahih Al-Bukhari]

Commentary of Hadith:

The above great Hadith informs us that who posses these above mentioned qualities and performs these three very important actions will have and taste the sweetness of Eemaan (faith), these three qualities/actions are as follows:

1. The person who “Allah and His Messenger are dearer to him than all else,” meaning he loves Allah and His Messenger (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) more than anything or anyone.

Allah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And of mankind are some who take (for worship) others besides Allaah as rivals (to Allaah). They love them as they love Allaah. But those who believe, love Allaah more (than anything else).”

[al-Baqarah 2:165]

The sign that a person loves his Lord is that he gives priority to what Allah loves even if it goes against his own desires, and he hates what Allah hates, even if it is something to which he is inclined. He takes as friends those who are friends of Allah and His Messenger and he takes as enemies those who are the enemies of Allah and His Messenger. He follows His Messenger (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam), follows in his footsteps and accepts his guidance.

All of these signs are conditions of this love, and it cannot be imagined that this love can exist without any of these conditions.

2. The person who loves a person for no other reason than for the sake of Allah, meaning he meets this person and parts from this person for the sake of Allah. This type of relationship is one which is based upon the love of Allah in which good actions are performed and evil actions are shunned.

3. A person who hates to return to kufr after Allah has saved him from it as he would hate to be thrown into Hell fire.

We seek refuge with Allah from the filth that is Kufr (disbelief) and we ask Him to enable us to taste the sweetness of Eemaan (faith).

And Allah knows best!

Madhhab
    Hanbali

Hadith 2 – The first act you will be asked about

The Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: “The first thing for which a person will be brought to account on the Day of Resurrection will be his prayer. If it is sound, he will be successful, and if it is lacking in any way, he will be doomed. If his obligatory prayers are lacking, the Lord will say: “Look and see whether My slave has any voluntary prayers which may be used to make up what is lacking in his obligatory prayers.” Then all his deeds will be examined and dealt with in the same way.’”

[Sunan al-Tirmidhi no. 413; see also Saheeh al-Jaami’, 2020]

Commentary of hadith:

The full narration of the above Hadith is as follows:

Narrated by Hurayth ibn Qubaysah, who said: “I came to Madeenah and prayed, ‘O Allah, send me a righteous companion.’ I went and sat with Abu Hurayrah and said: ‘I asked Allaah to bless me with a righteous companion; tell me a hadith that you heard from the Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam), so that I may benefit therefrom.’ He said: ‘I heard the Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) say that the first thing for which a person will be brought to account on the Day of Resurrection will be his prayer. If it is sound, he will be successful, and if it is lacking in any way, he will be doomed. If his obligatory prayers are lacking, the Lord will say: “Look and see whether My slave has any voluntary prayers which may be used to make up what is lacking in his obligatory prayers.” Then all his deeds will be examined and dealt with in the same way.’”

We derive the following from the above Hadith:

1. The most important act after your belief is the prayer.

2. The first thing you will be asked about on the Day of Judgement is the Prayer.

3. If your prayer (the five daily obligatory prayers) are sound, then everything else will be likewise.

4. If your prayer (the five daily obligatory prayers) are lacking, then everything else will be likewise.

5. The importance of the voluntary prayers which will fill the void if your obligatory prayers are lacking.

6. There is no success for the one who does not establish the prayer.

7. The mercy, wisdom and justice of Allah who is Ar-Rahman (the Most Merciful), the most wise and the most just.

Thus, it is important we correct our prayer, our concentration in Prayer, before this great month.

And Allah knows best!

Madhhab
    Hanbali

Hadith 3 – Fasting during the month of Sha’baan

Abu Salamah said: “I asked ‘Aa’ishah (radi Allahu anha) about the fasting of the Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam), and she said: ‘He used to fast until we thought that he would always fast, then he would not fast until we thought that he would always not fast, but I never saw him fast in any month more than he fasted in Sha’baan. He used to fast all of Sha’baan, and he used to fast all of Sha’baan apart from a few days.’”

[Sahih Muslim]

Commentary of Hadith:

Praise be to Allaah.

It is mustahabb (recommended) to fast a great deal during the month of Sha’baan (the month we are currently in, which is the month before Ramadan).

The above Hadith indicates that the Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) used to fast all of Sha’baan apart from a few days.

The apparent meaning of other Hadith (which we shall mention below) is that the Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) used to fast the entire month of Sha’baan.

Umm Salamah (radi Allahu anha) said: “I never saw the Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) fast two consecutive months apart from the fact that he used to join Sha’baan and Ramadan.”

[Ahmad (26022), Abu Dawood (2336), al-Nasaa’i (2175) and Ibn Maajah (1648)]

According to a version narrated by Abu Dawood: “The Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) never used to fast any complete month in the year, apart from Sha’baan, which he used to join to Ramadan.”

[Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood, 2048].

The scholars differed as to the way of reconciling between these ahadith:

Some of them said that this had to do with differences of time – in some years the Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) fasted all of Sha’baan, and in other years he fasted all of that month apart from a few days.

Others said that the Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) never fasted any month in full apart from Ramadan, and they interpreted the Hadith of Umm Salamah (radi Allahu anha) as meaning that he fasted all of Sha’baan apart from a few days. They said that this is possible from a linguistic point of view, that if a man fasts for most of a month it may be said that he fasted the whole month.

Al-Haafiz Ibn Hajr (may Allah have mercy upon him) said:

The Hadith of ‘Aa’ishah (radi Allahu anha) explains what was said in the Hadith of Umm Salamah (radi Allahu anha), which says that he did not fast any month of the year in full apart from Sha’baan which he used to join to Ramadan; this means that he used to fast most of it.

Al-Tirmidhi (may Allah have mercy upon him) narrated that Ibn al-Mubaarak (may Allah have mercy upon him) said: It is possible in the language of the Arabs, if a person fasts most of a month, to say that he fasted the whole month…

Al-Teebi (may Allah have mercy upon him) said: It may be interpreted as meaning that he used to fast all of Sha’baan sometimes and most of Sha’baan at other times, lest people think that it is obligatory to fast the entire month, like Ramadan.

Then al-Haafiz Ibn Hajr (may Allah have mercy upon him) said: The former is the correct view – in other words, that the Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) did not fast all of Sha’baan.

He quoted as evidence for that the report narrated by ‘Aa’ishah (radi Allahu anha) who said: “I do not know that the Prophet of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) recited the entire Qur’an in one night, or spent an entire night in prayer until dawn, or fasted an entire month apart from Ramadan.”

[Sahih Muslim]

And he also quoted the report narrated from Ibn ‘Abbaas (radi Allahu anhu) who said: “The Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) never fasted any month in full apart from Ramadan.”

[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

Al-Sindi (may Allah have mercy upon him) said in his commentary on the Hadith of Umm Salamah (radi Allahu anha) :

“He joined Sha’baan to Ramadan” means that he fasted them both together. The apparent meaning is that he fasted all of Sha’baan… but there are reports which indicate something different. Hence it is to be understood as meaning that he used to fast most of it, so it was as if he fasted all of it and joined it to Ramadan.

May Allah give us the strength to fast in this month.

And Allah knows best!

Madhhab
    Hanbali

Hadith 4 – When Sha’baan is half over

The Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said, “When Sha’baan is half over, do not fast.”

[Sunan Abu Dawood and al-Tirmidhi and others - Classed as Sahih by Sh al-Albaani]

Commentary of Hadith:

This above Hadith indicates that it is not allowed to fast after halfway through Sha’baan, i.e., starting from the sixteenth day of the month.

But there are reports that indicate that it is permissible to fast at this time.

For example:

1. The Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: “Do not anticipate Ramadan by fasting one or two days before it begins, but if a man habitually fasts, then let him fast.” [Sahih Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

This indicates that fasting after halfway through Sha’baan is permissible for someone who has the habit of fasting, such as a man who regularly fasts on Mondays and Thursdays, or who fasts alternate days, and the like.

2. ‘Aa’ishah (radi Allahu anha) said: “The Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) used to fast all of Sha’baan, he used to fast Sha’baan except a few days.” [Sahih Muslim]

Imam Al-Nawawi (may Allah have mercy upon him) said: In the words, “He used to fast all of Sha’baan, he used to fast Sha’baan except a few days” the second phrase explains the first, and indicates that the word “all” means “most of”.

This hadith indicates that it is permissible to fast after halfway through Sha’baan, but only for those who are continuing after fasting before halfway through the month.

According to most of the scholars, the prohibition here means that it is haram.

Other Scholars suggested that the prohibition here is to be understood as meaning that it is makrooh, not haraam.

Imam Al-Nawawi (may Allah have mercy upon him) said in Riyaadh al-Saaliheen:

“Chapter on the prohibition on anticipating Ramadaan by fasting after halfway through Sha’baan, except for one who is continuing after fasting before halfway through the month or who has a regular pattern of fasting such as fasting on Mondays and Thursdays”.

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allah have mercy upon him) said in Tahdheeb al-Sunan,

With regard to those who think that there is a contradiction between this Hadith and the ahadith which speak of fasting in Sha’baan, there is no contradiction. Those ahadith speak of fasting half of it along with the previous half, and of habitual fasting during the second half of the month, whereas the hadith of al-‘Ala’ (the Hadith in discussion) speaks of the prohibition on fasting deliberately only after the month is halfway over, not about fasts that a person observes regularly or that are a continuation after fasting during the first part of the month.

In conclusion:

It is not allowed to fast during the second half of Sha’baan, and that is either mukroo (disliked) or haram (prohibited), except for the one who has the habit of fasting regularly or who is continuing after fasting during the first half of Sha’baan.

The reason for this prohibition is that continually fasting may make a person too weak to fast in Ramadan.

If it is said that if he fasts from the beginning of the month he will become even weaker, the response is that whoever fasts from the beginning of Sha’baan will have gotten used to fasting so it will be less difficult for him to fast.

Al-Qaari (may Allah have mercy upon him) said: The prohibition here means that it is disliked, as a mercy to this ummah lest they become too weak to fulfil their duty of fasting during Ramadan in an energetic fashion. But those who fast all of Sha’baan will become used to fasting so it will not be difficult for them.

And Allah knows best!

Madhhab
    Hanbali

Hadith 5 – Actions done regularly

The Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said, “The dearest of actions to Allah is that which is done regularly, even if it is small.”

[Sahih Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

Commentary of hadith:

The Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) informs us in the above great Hadith that Allah loves those actions which are performed constantly and regularly even if they are little or few.

So as Muslims we need to be persistent with all our acts of worship even if they are little and strive to be constant and regular with all of our actions because a small action done constantly and regularly is better than a greater action which is done occasionally or done for a certain period of time then never performed again.

And Allah knows best!

Madhhab
    Hanbali

[U]Hadith 6 – Ramadan: one of the Pillars of Islam[/U]

The Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said, “Islam is built upon five [pillars]: testifying that there is none worthy of worship except Allah and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah, establishing the prayers, giving the Zakat, making the pilgrimage to the House and fasting the month of Ramadan.”

Commentary of Hadith:

Fasting the month of Ramadan is one of the five pillars of Islam (as the above Hadith indicates).

Allah says (interpretation of the meaning):

O you who believe! Observing As-Saum (the fasting) is prescribed for you as it was prescribed for those before you, that you may become Al-Muttaqun (the pious).

(Al-Baqara 2:183)

The month of Ramadan in which was revealed the Qur’an, a guidance for mankind and clear proofs for the guidance and the criterion (between right and wrong). So whoever of you sights (the crescent on the first night of) the month (of Ramadan i.e. is present at his home), he must observe Saum (fasts) that month…

(Al-Baqara 2:185)

Fasting the month of Ramadan is obligatory if one fulfils the following five conditions:

1. They are Muslim

2. They are accountable (mukallaf)

3. They are able to fast

4. They are a resident (not travelling)

5. There are no impediments to fasting

If these five conditions are met, then it is obligatory for a person to fast.

The first condition:

The kaafirs (non-believers) deeds will not be accepted until they become Muslim.

The second condition:

They should be accountable (mukallaf). The one who is mukallaf is one who is has reached the age of puberty and is of sound mind, because a minor or one who is insane is not accountable. Puberty is reached when one of the three signs which both males and females have in common:

1. Nocturnal emissions (wet dreams)

2. Growth of coarse hairs around the private parts (pubic hair)

3. Reaching the age of fifteen

In the case of females there is a fourth sign, which is Menstruation.

The one who is of sound mind is the opposite of one who is insane, which is one who has lost his mind, whether he is insane or feeble-minded. Everyone who has lost his mind, in whatever sense, is not accountable and he is not obliged to do any of the obligatory duties of Islam, be it prayer, fasting or feeding the poor; he does not have to do anything at all.

The third condition:

Being able to fast. The one who is unable to fast does not have to fast, because Allah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And whoever is ill or on a journey, the same number [of days which one did not observe Sawm (fasts) must be made up] from other days”

(Al-Baqarah 2:185)

But being unable to fast falls into two categories: temporary inability and permanent inability.

Temporary inability is that which is mentioned in the verse quoted above, such as one who is sick but hopes to recover, and the traveller. These people are allowed not to fast, and then they have to make up what they missed.

Those who are permanently unable to fast, such as one who is sick and has no hope of recovery, or those who are elderly and are unable to fast, are mentioned in the verse (interpretation of the meaning):

“And as for those who can fast with difficulty, (e.g. an old man), they have (a choice either to fast or) to feed a Miskeen (poor person) (for every day)”

(Al-Baqarah 2: 184)

As Ibn ‘Abbaas (radi Allahu anhu) interpreted it, it refers to the old man and old woman who are not able to fast, so they should feed one poor person for each day.

The fourth condition:

He should be a resident (not travelling). If he is travelling then it is not obligatory for him to fast, because Allah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And whoever is ill or on a journey, the same number [of days which one did not observe Sawm (fasts) must be made up] from other days”

(Al-Baqarah 2: 185)

The scholars are agreed that it is permissible for a traveller not to fast.

It is better for the traveller to do that which is easier. If fasting is likely to be harmful then it becomes haraam to fast, because Allah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And do not kill yourselves (nor kill one another). Surely, Allaah is Most Merciful to you”

(An-Nisa’ 4: 29)

This indicates that whatever is harmful to a person is forbidden for him.

If you ask, what is the degree of harm which makes fasting haraam?

The answer is:

Harm may be physical, or someone advises him that fasting may harm him. With regard to physical harm, that means that the sick person feels that fasting is harming him and causing him pain, and will delay his recovery and so on.

With regard to being advised, this means that a knowledgeable and trustworthy doctor tells him that it will harm him.

The fifth condition:

There should be no impediments. This applies specifically to women. Women who are menstruating or bleeding following childbirth should not fast, because the Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: “Is it not the case that when she gets her period, she does not pray or fast?” [Sahih Al-Bukhari]

So she should not fast and her fast is not valid in this case, and she has to make up the days missed.

And Allah Knows Best!

Madhhab
    Hanbali

Default Re: Ramadhan 2013 - Important Ahadith relating to Ramadhan

Hadith 7 – When Ramadan comes

The Prophet said, “When Ramadan comes, the gates of Paradise are opened and the gates of Hell are closed, and the devils are put in chains.”

Commentary: We benefit from this Hadith that in the month of Ramadan the gates of Paradise are opened and the gates of Hell are shut, and the devils are chained up.

In another narration Al-Nasaa’i narrated from Abu Hurayrah that the Messenger of Allah said: “When Ramadan comes, the gates of mercy are opened and the gates of Hell are shut, and the devils are put in chains.”

[Classed as Sahih by Sh al-Albaani in Sahih al-Jaami’, 471]

The month of Ramadan is an opportunity for every Muslim to do good deeds, so we should make the most of this month by using our time wisely by performing deeds and actions which will benefit us in this life and the next. And Allah knows best!

Madhhab
    Hanbali

Default Re: Ramadhan 2013 - Important Ahadith relating to Ramadhan

Hadith 8 – When the first night of Ramadan comes

The Prophet said, “When the first night of the month of Ramadan comes, the devils and rebellious jinn are chained up and the gates of Hell are closed, and not one gate of it is opened. The gates of Paradise are opened and not one gate of it is closed. And a caller cries out: ‘O seeker of good, proceed; O seeker of evil, desist. And Allah has those whom He frees from the Fire, and that happens every night.”

[at-Tirmidhi, Ibn Maajah and Ibn Khuzaymah - Classed as Hasan by Sh al-Albaani in Sahih al-Jaami’, 759]

Commentary of Hadith:

We benefit the following from this Hadith:

1. In the month of Ramadan the gates of Paradise are opened and not one of them is closed and the gates of Hell are shut and not one of them will be open.

2. The devils (Shayatin) and rebellious jinn are chained up (shackled and restrained).

If it is asked, how come we see many evil actions and sins committed in Ramadan, for if the devils are chained up that would not happen?

The answer is that evil actions become less for those who observe the conditions and etiquette of fasting; or that the ones who are chained up are some of the devils – namely the rebellious ones – not all of them; or that what is meant is that evil is reduced in Ramadan, which is a proven fact. If evil happens at this time, it is still less than at other times. Even if all of them (the devils) are chained up, that does not necessarily mean that no evil or sin will happen, because there are other causes of that besides the devils, such as evil souls, bad habits and the devils among mankind.

3. A caller calls out: ‘O seeker of good, proceed (come near); O seeker of evil, desist (stop).

4. And finally, Allah has those whom He frees from the Fire, and that happens every night during this great and virtuous month. So Every night Allah has people whom He redeems (frees) from the Fire.

In another narration, the Prophet said: “At every breaking of the fast, Allah has people whom He redeems.”

(Musnad Imam Ahmad, classed as Sahih by Sh al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Targheeb, 987)

Also in another narration, The Messenger of Allah said: “Allah has people whom He redeems (frees) every day and night – i.e., in Ramadaan – and every Muslim every day and night has a prayer that is answered.”

(Al-Bazzaar (Kashf 962)

And Allah knows best!