Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: salat Al-Taraweeh

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default salat Al-Taraweeh

Asalaamu Alaikum one and all.

As you know Ramadan is almost here, and this is my first fasting, can somebody tell me about Salat Al-Taraweeh and how it is done, what surahs does the prayer consist of, will it consist of Surah Al Fatihah, the opening prayer Subanaka Allahhuma etc, as per useful it is not outlined what the prayer consists of etc. I am aware there are brothers on this site that can assist me with this. Are there other prayers that one is obliged to perform and when do you perform them?
    While we are on this topic, does anybody observe the 15th day of Sabahan, is it recognized by all Madhabs.
    Sorry for the questions, there does seem to be alot to take in.

Allah Hafez

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Re: salat Al-Taraweeh

brother

Whereabouts are you located? It would be a good idea to find a good local scholar, so that they may be able to answer your questions.

In terms of the taraweeh salah, it consists of 10 sets of two rak'at prayers. These are performed as any other sunnah prayer with no particularly special surah to be recited after the Fatihah. It takes place after the Isha salah and the witr should be performed after it.

Was there anything else specific you wanted to know?

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Salat al Taraweeh consists of 20 rakats (10 sets of 2-rakats). For males, its best performed in congregation behind the Imam in the Masjid. Taraweeh salah will happen every night after Isha salah during the month of Ramadan. The Imam will recite the entire Quran from Al-Baqarah to surah an-Naas during this course of 29/30 nights. All you have to do is stand and listen to the Quran being recited.

If you wish to pray at home, you can recite any surah you want. If you have not memorized a lot of Qur'an, the scholars recommend that you recite the last ten surahs in the first ten rakats, and for the last ten rakats you again repeat those same surahs.

Please don't hesitate to ask any further questions.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Question Re: salat Al-Taraweeh

Quote Originally Posted by Saeed M View Post
    brother

Whereabouts are you located? It would be a good idea to find a good local scholar, so that they may be able to answer your questions.

In terms of the taraweeh salah, it consists of 10 sets of two rak'at prayers. These are performed as any other sunnah prayer with no particularly special surah to be recited after the Fatihah. It takes place after the Isha salah and the witr should be performed after it.

Was there anything else specific you wanted to know?
    Asalaamualaikum Akhi Saeed and A.S thanks for both of your replies, I live in Clapham, South London (Don't laugh!) I go to the Brixton Masjid and Al Negashi centre on Wandsworth Rd,
    Specifically as someone new to the faith, which Surahs do you recommend I start with, also do I do the bowing and postrating for each Rakat, sorry for the questions. As an example would I only recite Surah Fatihah in the 3rd Rakat?

Allah Hafiz

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by a.s. View Post

Salat al Taraweeh consists of 20 rakats (10 sets of 2-rakats). For males, its best performed in congregation behind the Imam in the Masjid. Taraweeh salah will happen every night after Isha salah during the month of Ramadan. The Imam will recite the entire Quran from Al-Baqarah to surah an-Naas during this course of 29/30 nights. All you have to do is stand and listen to the Quran being recited.

If you wish to pray at home, you can recite any surah you want. If you have not memorized a lot of Qur'an, the scholars recommend that you recite the last ten surahs in the first ten rakats, and for the last ten rakats you again repeat those same surahs.

Alhamdulilah, thank you, this is good, please can you give an example of this last 10 surahs, (Is this the last 10 surahs of the Qur'an?) I may know some already.

Allah Hafiz, I want to go to the masjid every night, it will be difficult, but I start work early anyhow so I can prepare myself for it, and the masjids I mentioned to brother Saeed are local to me. I want to make sure I get them right, and I learn fairly quickly.
    Allah Hafiz

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by Aarcaneuk View Post
    Alhamdulilah, thank you, this is good, please can you give an example of this last 10 surahs, (Is this the last 10 surahs of the Qur'an?) I may know some already.

Allah Hafiz, I want to go to the masjid every night, it will be difficult, but I start work early anyhow so I can prepare myself for it, and the masjids I mentioned to brother Saeed are local to me. I want to make sure I get them right, and I learn fairly quickly.
    Allah Hafiz

Asalaamualaikum a.s.

Mar'shallah, thank you for this information, it is making sense now, just one other question, in the congregation after Isha, is the 20 rak'at the same as reading one Jus per night, ie part 1, then the next night part2?

Allah Hafiz

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Asalaamualaikum a.s.

Mar'shallah, thank you for this information, it is making sense now, just one other question, in the congregation after Isha, is the 20 rak'at the same as reading one Jus per night, ie part 1, then the next night part2?

Allah Hafiz

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Asalaamualaikum a.s.

Allah Hafiz
    Yes, usually the Imam will read about 1 juz per night if they are aiming to finish the Quran in 29/30 nights. Those who aim to finish on the 27th will recite a bit more on some nights.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Yes, usually the Imam will read about 1 juz per night if they are aiming to finish the Quran in 29/30 nights. Those who aim to finish on the 27th will recite a bit more on some nights.
    Alhamdulilah that clarifies it for me, much appreciated a.s. just a side note from this post, due to work conditions, it is not always easy for me to do salah prayers, most of the times I have to do Fajr, and Isha prayers,at home. but I always miss Dhukr and Asr prayers, is it permissble to do these prayers when I get home and make up for it before Maghrib prayer? (maghrib prayer I can do at the masjid), I am never sure how to square this.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Alhamdulilah that clarifies it for me, much appreciated a.s. just a side note from this post, due to work conditions, it is not always easy for me to do salah prayers, most of the times I have to do Fajr, and Isha prayers,at home. but I always miss Dhukr and Asr prayers, is it permissble to do these prayers when I get home and make up for it before Maghrib prayer? (maghrib prayer I can do at the masjid), I am never sure how to square this.
    Brother, you must do all prayers on time. Please find a way to pray your Dhur and 'Asr prayers at your work place.