Thread: what do u do wen u make a mistake in namaz

Madhhab
    None

Default what do u do wen u make a mistake in namaz

when u make a mistake like..........

u cant remember how many rakats uve done u think u prayed 3 when u were meant to pray 4, but u think u did ur just not sure.

u miss out a surah after fatiha by mistake

u pray subhana rabiyul azeem when in sijda or vice versa by mistake

u pray ah tahiyatu after three rakahs when ur meant to pray four but u realise n get up strate away n finish as normal

n just little things like this.

u forget to do allahuakbar int he 3rd rakah of witr n go down strate after u prayed ur surah by mistake

now what i wanna know is do u have to start all over again when u make these mistakes.

and also whats this sijda safwa thing. ive been told that wen u make a mistake u can do sijdah sufwa n that will suffice n u dnt hav to repeat ur prayer.

no can some one explain what sijda sufwa actualy is n how u go about doing it in the most basic english terms without writing a whole esay inshallah

jizakallah khairrrrrrrrrrrr
    De-Registered

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Subhanallah! So many questions! someone more knowledgeable than myself can answer all these questions specifically but a way to address these types of questions is to know which aspects of prayer are fard, wajib, sunnah or from good adab, then knowing what the result of missing each of these categories is. Ie, if you miss a fard aspect of prayer (or fail to fulfil a fard condition) then the prayer is invalid, but missing a wajib in prayer does not invalidate your prayer but renders it difficient (this can be rectified to a degree by performing sajda-as-sahw, as you mentioned - I'm afraid I can't explain this very well!)

A good starting point on this is Shaykh Faraz Rabbani's book:
    http://www.whitethreadpress.com/publ...essentials.htm

Sorry this isn't a simple answer, but I'm not sure anything fiqh-related is simple! I should also add that what I've written is from my own studies which are Hanafi specific, I don't know the position of the other madhabs.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

From what I have learned:

Sajdat al-sahw means forgetfulness prostration in English.

In the Hanafi school, it is wājib to perform this if one omits a wājib (necessary) action during the prayer (regardless of whether the prayer being performed is fard or nafl).

If a fard action was omitted, the prayer would be invalid and it would be necessary to repeat it.

In the case of salāt al-witr, if a person forgets to recite du`a al-qunūt, it becomes wājib upon them to perform sajdat al-sahw. This is because du`a al-qunūt is wājib.

Sajdat al-sahw is performed in the last rak`ah of the prayer by:

1) Saying the tashahhud as one would do normally.
    2) Making salām (once) to the right.
    3) Performing sajda (prostration) twice.
    4) Then completing the salāt in the normal way (that is, by reciting the tashahhud again, then reciting salāt al-nabi, and then giving salām to the right and left as normal).

If the surah after surat al-fātihah is omitted in the 1st or 2nd rak`ah of a fard prayer (or in any rak`ah of a nafl prayer), then it would be necessary to do sajdat al-sahw.

I am not sure whether sitting for the tashahhud in the 3rd rak`ah requires sajdat al-sahw or not, or whether reciting other than the recommended invocation in ruku` or sajda does either.

I think sidi salahuddin made an excellent point when he said the best way is to learn the conditions, integrals and sunnahs of prayer (also the book recommended is very thorough). That way, a person can be sure that they have done everything that is required of them.

Allah knows best.

Madhhab
    None

jizakallah khair for the reply i understand it better now however when i do sijda safwa i normaly finish my namaz then do two sijdas n get up strate away as tho ive finished i didnt know u have to do it after praying ahtahiyatu then the two sijdas then finish the namaz off like normal.

what if u realise strate after uve done salam that u only prayed 3 rakats wen u were meant to pray four or some other mistake, then can u do it seperately like how ive been taught to do it.
    De-Registered

Madhhab
    Hanafi

As bro Simon says if we miss a wajib then we should perform sajda-as-sahw after the tashahudd (atayihattu...), then once we've performed the sajdas say tashahudd again and finish as normal.

what if u realise strate after uve done salam that u only prayed 3 rakats wen u were meant to pray four or some other mistake, then can u do it seperately like how ive been taught to do it
    In this case one should be certain that only 3 rakat were performed when 4 were intended. As I understand from my teacher if this does happen, provided we haven't moved from the position of prayer (eg. realising when salaams are being said or just after and are still in the seated position) then we can pray the additional 1 rakat straight away, because the salaams do not break your prayer. We would need to do sajda-as-sahw in this case.

If we realise after salaams and have moved away from the prayer position then the prayer is finished/broken - I believe the prayer would need to be repeated in full but please check this.

Madhhab
    None

In this case one should be certain that only 3 rakat were performed when 4 were intended. As I understand from my teacher if this does happen, provided we haven't moved from the position of prayer (eg. realising when salaams are being said or just after and are still in the seated position) then we can pray the additional 1 rakat straight away, because the salaams do not break your prayer. We would need to do sajda-as-sahw in this case.
    so u mean like get back up n carry on n do ruku n everything or just do two sijdas then finish off as normal?

also what if u just cant remember n ur not sure, wud a sijda safwah suffice
    De-Registered

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by Nafeesa
    so u mean like get back up n carry on n do ruku n everything or just do two sijdas then finish off as normal?

Continue the prayer - pray the 4th rakat, pray sajda-as-sahw at the end of the 4th rakat and finish as normal. Let me stress that we can only do this if we haven't moved away from the original place of prayer or done something that would break our prayer, for example, talking to someone or turning one's whole body away from the qibla.

also what if u just cant remember n ur not sure, wud a sijda safwah suffice
    Allahu alim.