Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what to do with the placenta???

Madhhab
    None

Default what to do with the placenta???

when u have a baby the ppl at the hospital giv u the choice on what to do with ur placenta, they gave me this form on what i wanna do with it like, have it given away to medical researchers, students in training, have it incarcerated etc etc or u can be responsible for it urself.

as its part of the body one wud assume that u wud have to bury it. so is this what we're meant to do. i asked me mum n she sed ur meant to bury it, i wanna find some evidence for this, but does any one already have any evidence for this
    De-Registered

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Assalamu alaykum sis,

Yeah it is considered part of the child, therefore should be buried. I couldn't find a specific QA regarding this however this one:

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...ID=257&CATE=87

...mentions again that it should be buried. Not sure if there is 'proof' or 'evidence' for this, but it would be assumed that if it is part of the baby then it is buried, in the same manner that it is recommended to bury nails and hair as they are part of ones body.
    ‘Good and evil can never be equal. Repel (evil) with that which is better, and see how, then, someone between whom and you was enmity shall become a true friend. Yet none is given such goodness except those who are patient; none is given this but the most fortunate.’

(al-Fussilat 41: 34-5)

Madhhab
    None

theres no proof to say that nails and hair shud be buried, so when they say things off the body shud be buried is based on a weak hadith. Im still search for the placenta thing.

Question :

some ppl tell me that cutting nails at nighttime is not allowed, and also i'v been taught that we have to spit and say bismillah on the nail or hair 3 times before throwing it in the garbage,...so that shaytan will not be able to take it or use it...

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

There is no basis for saying that cutting the nails at night is haraam; rather a person may cut his nails whenever he wants, at any time of day or night.

Similarly, there is no basis for saying that one must say Bismillaah three times over nails or hair before throwing them away, otherwise the Shaytaan will use them. It is also not correct to say that they must be buried; a hadeeth was narrated concerning that which is da’eef jiddan (very weak). It is permissible to throw them in the garbage or down the drain, or to bury them. If a person fears that they may fall into the hands of those who practise sihr (witchcraft) then he should dispose of them in a place where they will not be able to get hold of them. And Allaah knows best.
    De-Registered

Madhhab
    None

Question :

A Muslim couple expecting their first child soon would like to preserve the afterbirth (placenta and fetal membranes), which has been found to cure certain forms of cancer. Is this lawful in Islam?

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

We put the following question to Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen:

Question:

What is the ruling on keeping the placenta to treat cancer and remove facial wrinkles?

He replied as follows:

It seems that there is nothing wrong with it so long as there is proof that it is an effective treatment.

Question: does the rule that whatever is taken from a living being is dead apply in this case?

Answer: dead matter of human origin is taahir (pure).

Question: and if it is of no use, should it be buried, or can it be disposed of in any place?

Answer: it seems that it is the same as nails and hair.

And Allaah knows best.
    De-Registered

Madhhab
    None

im just gonna bury it to be on the safe side, altho its gonna be pretty gross. ill have to get a carrier bag n put it in there to take home n get hubby to bury it in the back yard, ewww gross.
    De-Registered

Madhhab
    None

here is what i found off some random site when i googled the question.

Question: I was asked by the head of nursing at a major hospital in Dammam on the Islamic ruling on what to do with the placenta (the after birth). I believe this question arose due to the fact that there are cosmetic companies that use the placenta in the manufacturing of beauty products. The head of nursing's question is whether it is obligatory to bury it or if it is permissible to give it away to a third party.

Answered by Sheikh `Abd al-Rahmân al-Jar`î, professor at King Khâlid University in Abhâ

The placenta is part of the woman’s body. It should be buried in the same way that other human body parts must be buried if they are cut off.

It may not be used for cosmetic purposes by companies or by anyone else.

However, it may be donated for dire need to someone else if there is a medical necessity.

And Allah knows best.
    De-Registered

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by Nafeesa
    theres no proof to say that nails and hair shud be buried, so when they say things off the body shud be buried is based on a weak hadith. Im still search for the placenta thing.
    Actually sis, I was talking more along the lines of common sense. To myself, personally, it seems common sense to bury nails/ hair/ placenta based on an OVERALL understanding of Islam and the Sunnah.

I don't think it is a big haraam/ halal deal what you do with the placenta. Islam to me is a very easy religion, and in most cases you can make judgement on advice (in this case the burying of placenta) by how sound or reasonable it is.

Remember, from the earth we have been created and to the earth we will return. Why fill up landfills with your nails/ hair/ placenta, polluting the atmosphere and breeding disease, when you can easily bury it in the back garden and it will decompose in the soil? -- Surely a more hygenic and pleasing option?

Anywho, just my 2 pence, I'm not a learned person.

Ps. If you request it to be taken home, the hospital will pack it for you hygenically inshaAllah.
    ‘Good and evil can never be equal. Repel (evil) with that which is better, and see how, then, someone between whom and you was enmity shall become a true friend. Yet none is given such goodness except those who are patient; none is given this but the most fortunate.’

Madhhab
    None

Quote Originally Posted by ze leetle elper
    Actually sis, I was talking more along the lines of common sense. To myself, personally, it seems common sense to bury nails/ hair/ placenta based on an OVERALL understanding of Islam and the Sunnah.

I don't think it is a big haraam/ halal deal what you do with the placenta. Islam to me is a very easy religion, and in most cases you can make judgement on advice (in this case the burying of placenta) by how sound or reasonable it is.

Remember, from the earth we have been created and to the earth we will return. Why fill up landfills with your nails/ hair/ placenta, polluting the atmosphere and breeding disease, when you can easily bury it in the back garden and it will decompose in the soil? -- Surely a more hygenic and pleasing option?

Anywho, just my 2 pence, I'm not a learned person.

Ps. If you request it to be taken home, the hospital will pack it for you hygenically inshaAllah.
    if we based everything on common sense we'd go wrong in so many places.
    De-Registered

Madhhab
    Hanafi

And if we asked for proof regarding how to breath we would be dead.

Extremism in both cases is disliked. I did not say that you BASE your opinion of common sense, but to come to a judgement based on the information you are given or have access to.

Surely Allah (swt) has granted us higher intelligence than mere animals for a purpose, to be able to do this when done in the correct manner...

Madhhab
    None

Quote Originally Posted by ze leetle elper
    And if we asked for proof regarding how to breath we would be dead.

Extremism in both cases is disliked. I did not say that you BASE your opinion of common sense, but to come to a judgement based on the information you are given or have access to.
    Surely Allah (swt) has granted us higher intelligence than mere animals for a purpose, to be able to do this when done in the correct manner...
    ok tell me how my common sense shud have been used in the matter of the burying of the placenta? when ive never read anything about burying anything but dead bodies. the whole nail n hair thing is just what cropped up today wen i searched for "burying" as some one asked whether it shud be buried n the scholar sed not unless u fear some one will get it n use it for witchcraft

so tell me how from that i shud assume we shud bury the placenta.

i agree that on alot of matters we can use our sense. but on matters such as this its of alot of importance to me as i dnt wish to do anything which isnt islamically correct. n im just a layman so how wud i be able to come to a conclusion on what to do with the placenta on just mere common sense? think about it sis. things aitn that simple sometimes.
    De-Registered