Thread: ANSWERED: Haraam/Halaal Nasheeds

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default ANSWERED: Haraam/Halaal Nasheeds

I dont know if this has been asked or discussed here before, but this has been confusing me for a while.
    From what i know, its haraam to listen to or play any instruments. The same is true when it concerns nasheeds. The only instrument that can be implemented is the duff. So i asked my dad if it was so the other day and he said it was true. Nasheeds can't have any music except that coming from the a capella or the duff. So that means the works of sami yusuf and other artists who use various instruments is haraam to listen to (i am listening to one of sami yusuf nasheeds right now!) So what are your opinions?

Shukran in advance for answering

Blessed be the Name of your Lord Allâh, the Owner of Majesty and Honour

Senior Member Abdullah Ibn Adam's Avatar
    Madhhab
    Hanafi

The relied upon position in the Hanafi school, as well as the other 3 madhhabs, is that musical instruments (besides the daff) are impermissible. While there is some difference of opinion, including that of some notable fuqaha, one should remain within what is relied upon.

Even those who permitted instruments, did so with very strict conditions, rarely met by "sufis" of our times, let alone others.

However, given the difference of opinion, we cannot condemn those who use instruments in their dhikrs, as long as there is no other munkar involved.

Wassalam,
    Faraz.

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...D=686&CATE=115

Madhhab
    Hanafi

thats interesting......
    Thanks alot for answering bro!

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Salamu `alaykum

Note that just because we do not condemn does not mean we consider the act permitted.
    May My Soul be sacrificed for your soul, my beloved, my master Muhammad - peace and blessing upon you- !

روحي لروحك الفداء يا حبيبي يا سيدي محمد

Madhhab
    Hanafi

so it is condemned or not?
    where does one draw the line b/w what is or isnt?

Senior Member Abdullah Ibn Adam's Avatar
    Madhhab
    Hanafi

Madhhab
    Hanafi

its better not to listen it.

Imaan increases through following Sunnah.
    Remember that every Sunnah is Noor.

regardinging the permissibility of musical instrumental in nasheed,

here it is a fatwa (and best online fatwa site)

To assert on the basis of some Ahaadith that to listen to Islamic songs with music in the background is incorrect. Several Ahaadith clearly prohibit the use of the drum as well as other musical instruments. Consider the following Ahaadith:

* Hadhrat Ibn Mas’ood (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) declared every wine, gambling, beating of drums and every intoxicant as Haraam. (Abu Dawud)

* Hadhrat Ali (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) narrates that Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) prohibited the beating of drums. (Kanzul Ummaal)

* The Kubah (drum) is Haraam. (Bayhaqi; Musnad Bazzar)

These Ahaadith are general and prohibit the beating of the drum. Those who claim that the beating of drums is permissible generally use the Hadith wherein it is reported that Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) said, ‘Announce the Nikah even though it be with the Duff.’ (Mishkat)

In another narration, it is reported that Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) passed by little girls who were beating drums. (Ibn Maajah)

However, to use these Ahaadith to substantiate the beating of drums as a musical instrument is baseless. The beating of drums on the occasions was for the purpose of announcement of a Nikah or the arrival of somebody or the sighting of the moon. There is no evidence whatsoever that drums were used merely for ‘entertainment’. Rather it is reported that when Umar (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) heard the sound of beating drums, he would send a person to inspect the occasion. If it was a Nikah (which was being announced by means of the drum) he would keep quite. Otherwise, he would punish those involved. (Fathul Qadeer)

In contemporary times there is no need to use the drum to announce any occasion, nor is it used for such purposes. In these times, it is used commonly as a musical instrument. The use of the drum as a musical instrument is expressly forbidden as has been clearly ascertained from the Ahaadith mentioned in the beginning. Also, music itself is expressly forbidden in Deen. Allah Ta’ala says:

* Almighty Allah Taãla says in the Noble Qurãn: ‘And there are some people who purchase idle talk… for them is a severe punishment’. Ibn Masóod (Radhiyallaahu Ánhu) says that this verse was revealed regarding singing.

* Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) said, ‘Allah ordered me to destroy musical instruments.’

* Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) said, ‘People from my Ummat will drink wine and give it other names and singing girls and musical instruments will be played before them. Allah will cause the earth to swallow them, and disfigure their faces into apes and pigs.’

* Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) mentioned, ‘When singing girls and musical instruments becomes common, wait for red winds, earthquakes, the earth swallowing people, disfiguring and many more punishments.’ (Mishkãt 470)

In the light of the above, it is not permissible to hear Islamic songs having the sound of beating drums in the background.

Mufti Ebrahim Desai

http://www.islam.tc/ask-imam/view.php?q=65
    http://www.darsequran.com
    http://www.al-inaam.com/tasawwuf/tasawwuf.htm
    http://tasawwuf.org
    Through our destiny God speaks to us,
    Through our worship we speak to Him.
    [Hasan Le Gai Eaton]