Thread: Learning Arabic

Madhhab
    Not Muslim

Default Learning Arabic

I am learning Arabic by reading the Quran. I am using a dictionary of modern Arabic. Probably that is why I often cannot find some words. I just read Surah 92:14: فَكَذَّبُوهُ فَعَقَرُوهَا فَدَمْدَمَ عَلَيْهِمْ رَبُّهُم بِذَنبِهِمْ فَسَوَّاهَا

I find these 3 translations very different:
    [Shakir 91:14] But they called him a liar and slaughtered her, therefore their Lord crushed them for their sin and levelled them (with the ground).
    [Yusufali 91:14] Then they rejected him (as a false prophet), and they hamstrung her. So their Lord, on account of their crime, obliterated their traces and made them equal (in destruction, high and low)!
    [Pickthal 91:14] But they denied him, and they hamstrung her, so Allah doomed them for their sin and rased (their dwellings).

What is the meaning of فَسَوَّاهَا ? Why is the feminine used? I would have used masculine. They are men, arenīt they? If anyone could explain, I would be most grateful.

Madhhab
    Maliki

You being a non-Muslim I hope that you are respecting our customs and making an effort to make sure you are cleansed before touching our Glorious book.

I cannot help you though with your Arabic question, lol, I'm just learning Arabic myself.
    All praise is due the the Almighty Allah.

Al-Khaliq set us all here for his praise... why don't we do it now?

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

I looked at the verse in question and at first I had the same question, but afterwards I read the verse in tafseer Sabuni and talked to a grammar teacher as well. The answer seems to be that the ha is not refering to a generic group of men, but rather to the tribe of Thamud. The key word is tribe. The word tribe in arabic is qabeelah, which is feminine with a Ta Marbutah at the end. The grammar teacher told me that it might refer to the place which is being leveled which would also be feminine, but since the tafseer discusses the Tribe of Thamud, it is most likely the tribe that the ha is refering to.

Madhhab
    Not Muslim

Thank you very much for this explanation, mr.kitkat!

Madhhab
    Don't know

u can use the site Quran Home for translating the holy book.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Some people say about Quran 's English translation that incomprehensible, is it true? English isn t my mother language

Madhhab
    None

Quote Originally Posted by wulefu
    I am learning Arabic....
    I want to learn arabic also. I have CDs that offer the simple greeting etc.

But for the learning the alphabet, and to read, recognize and write, is there a good program or book that is better than the internet?

Thanks in advance (sorry for being off-topic).

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by MMM
    I want to learn arabic also. I have CDs that offer the simple greeting etc.

But for the learning the alphabet, and to read, recognize and write, is there a good program or book that is better than the internet?

Thanks in advance (sorry for being off-topic).
    Use the Medinah books, it comes with audio:

http://www.madinaharabic.com/

http://muhammadnur.com/?page_id=7

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeb View Post
    Use the Medinah books, it comes with audio:

http://www.madinaharabic.com/

http://muhammadnur.com/?page_id=7
    If one wants to understand the arabic grammer, i recommend the madina collection, im' using those now and Alh. they are very good.
    They teach u all u need to know, i'm sure there may be more books out there, but these work very well. As i knew no arabic and i used these and they have thought me my grammar so i understand why what is what...to some degree.
    though, i am far from my goal of complete understanding b/c there is more to learn and the grammar rules must be revised over and over again and not left. ( put into practice)
    remember us struggling students of knowledge in ur prayers
    Wa'alikum As'salaam.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by talemul_haq View Post
    If one wants to understand the arabic grammer, i recommend the madina collection, im' using those now and Alh. they are very good.
    They teach u all u need to know, i'm sure there may be more books out there, but these work very well. As i knew no arabic and i used these and they have thought me my grammar so i understand why what is what...to some degree.
    though, i am far from my goal of complete understanding b/c there is more to learn and the grammar rules must be revised over and over again and not left. ( put into practice)
    remember us struggling students of knowledge in ur prayers
    Wa'alikum As'salaam.

Thanks for the tippers....I might want to learn Arabic but I think I might need a teacher. Because you need to always put it into the pratical.