Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: wahdat ul wujood

Madhhab
    Hanbali

Default wahdat ul wujood

Ok now... I need some info here.

1_ What is your definition of "wahdat ul wujood"?

2_ Do you believe in "wahdat ul wujood"?
    Allah تعالى said -translation of the meaning-:
    (O you who believe! Stand out firmly for Allh and be just witnesses and let not the enmity and hatred of others make you avoid justice. Be just: that is nearer to piety, and fear Allh. Verily, Allh is Well*Acquainted with what you do.)

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Please see the following thread:

Sunni Concept of Wahdat al-Wujood

Imam al-Zarqani said in his book Manahil al-Irfan: 'Our Scholars agreed that if a word carries 99 aspects of disbelief and one aspect of faith, it must be interpreted according to the best of meanings, which is faith'.

Visit www.asharis.wordpress.com and the Marifah website

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

I'm not qualified to speak in depth on such matters but let me tell you two things before you inquire about wahdatul wujood:

1. It is NOT pantheism.
    2. It is a state that is experienced (only then can one truly understand it), and NOT a theological doctrine. At one point, the individual realizes that the existence of everything else is dependent on Allah, so it is "as if" only Allah truly exists. It does not mean Allah is part of his creation or "Allah is everywhere" na'udhubillah.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

this thread should be locked now.

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

Quote Originally Posted by Musleemah
    Ok now... I need some info here.

1_ What is your definition of "wahdat ul wujood"?

2_ Do you believe in "wahdat ul wujood"?
    Bismillah,

Wahdatul Wajood means There is only Allah, His Attributes, His Actions and His Rulings.

And this is reality whether you believe it or not.

Maa salaama,

aMuslimForLife
    Imaam Ash Shafi'i said, "Whoever wants Allah to give him good must have a good opinion of people." (Bustan Arifeen-Nawawi)

My Blog --> http://baraka.wordpress.com

Madhhab
    Hanbali

Wahdatul Wajood means There is only Allah, His Attributes, His Actions and His Rulings.
    So where are we? we don't exist?
    We are just an illussion ??

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by Musleemah
    So where are we? we don't exist?
    We are just an illussion ??
    Pretty much.

Our Maulana, Hakimul Ummah Ashraf `Ali Thanvi, said that the case of Wahdatul Wujud is similar to a raindrop falling from the sky. When it is in free-fall it feels as if it is the greatest in the world, that there is nothing better than it. When it hits the ocean and sees all these other rain-drops it realizes that its existence is nothing.

Wahdat al Wujud doesnt say we "dont exist" it says that we dont "truly exist" i.e. on our own. Our existence is relative, and thus not real existence in comparison to the Most High.
    May My Soul be sacrificed for your soul, my beloved, my master Muhammad - peace and blessing upon you- !

روحي لروحك الفداء يا حبيبي يا سيدي محمد

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by ahsanirfan
    We exist as a part of His "Rulings."

Rulings can be divided into two types:

1) Ahkaam al shar'ee: The shariah given to us by Allah through the Rasool

2) Ahkaam al kawni: The ruling of "kun," as in the verse, "kun fa ya koon." He Ruled that we should come into existence and thus we did, and that is our reality.

To understand Wahdat al Wujood intellectually one must have mastered aqida in its entirety. However, even then, one is bereft of a complete understanding of Wahdat al Wujood until one experiences it, because ultimately Wahdat al Wujood is an experience and not a theological point. To assume it to be a theological point is grave mistake.
    Ibid

It is an experience.
    May My Soul be sacrificed for your soul, my beloved, my master Muhammad - peace and blessing upon you- !

روحي لروحك الفداء يا حبيبي يا سيدي محمد

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Wahdat al-Wujood Simplified

Summary of the explanation of Wahdat al-Wujood by Maulana Zafar Ahmad Usmani in the Introduction of his Urdu book "Al-Qawlul Mansur fi Ibn al-Mansur" (also known as "Seerat-e-Mansur Hallaj")

Allah Ta'ala has many qualities, one of them is wujood (existence). The wujood of Allah is compulsory (Allah is 'wajib al-Wujood'). The wujood of Allah has no beginning and no end. The wujood of the creation of Allah is 'hadis' (of recent occurrence) and dependent upon Allah Ta'ala in all its aspects.

Regarding the wujood of the creation, the Ulama-e-Zahir say that the wujood of the creation is 'mustaqil' (confirmed), meaning that it is not a shadow of the existence of Allah but entirely dependent upon Allah in all its aspects. The soofia-e-kiram say that the wujood of the creation is 'ghair-mustaqil' (unconfirmed). Indeed, the wujood of the creation is 'khayali' (speculative). The real wujood is that of Allah alone. The entire creation is a testimony of the wujood of Allah. In other words, the existence of the creation is totally different than the existence of Allah. One can not make 'qiyas' (analogical deduction) of Allah's wujood with that of the creation. The existence of Allah is real and independent. Therefore, wahdat al-wujood means that Allah is one in His existence as He is one in His 'zaat' (self/identity). It is a much deeper notion of 'tawheed' (oneness of Allah). 'Wahdat as-shuhood' means that the mere speculative existence of the creation testifies the independent existence of Allah.

'Wujood-e-khayali' (the speculative existence of the creation) is of two types:

1. 'Waqi'ee' (occurring)

2. 'Ghair waqi'ee (non-occurring)

The soofia say that the creation is 'waqi'ee' (occurring) but its occurrence is limited in terms of 'makaan' (place) and 'zamaan' (time) and dependent upon Allah. It would be wrong to call the creation non-occurring and say that everything one sees is Allah, this is against the 'aqaa'id' (beliefs) of the Ahle Sunnah wal Jamaah. This is where all the misunderstanding arises. In reality, the beliefs held by the 'soofia-e-kiram' in regards to the oneness of Allah are in exact accordance with Ahle Sunnah wal Jamaah and much deeper and firm-rooted than those of the 'ulama-e-zahir'. Once a person believes that the creation is only speculative then he will not think and believe that the benefits and harms being displayed by the creation are its creation but all harm and benefit is the creation of Allah. The creation only displays the orders of Allah. The 'hikmah' (wisdom) of 'wahdat al-wujood' and 'wahdat as-shuhood' is to ingrain a deep 'yaqin' (conviction) of Allah in the depths of the hearts. If a person has a hard time understanding this, he should stick to the basic beliefs and tenets of Islam as described by the 'ulama-e-zahir' because these are proven from the Quran with clarity. However, one does not have the right to criticize the 'soofia' for their beliefs just because one is unable to understand the reality of their views.

One should also understand that the views of the 'soofia' regarding 'wahdat al-wujood' are not from the fundamentals of 'tassawwuf' and understanding it is not a condition for a 'saalik' (seeker of truth). Those who speak ill of the 'soofia' should fear Allah and contemplate over the following hadith of Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi WaSallam):

إملاء الخير خير من السكوت والسكوت خير من إملاء الشر رواه البيهقى فى شعب الايمان

"Speaking what is good is better than silence and silence is better than talking evil."

(Reported by al-Bayhaqi)

From: http://www.geocities.com/hujjatulmuslim/wahdatalwujood
    Imam al-Zarqani said in his book Manahil al-Irfan: 'Our Scholars agreed that if a word carries 99 aspects of disbelief and one aspect of faith, it must be interpreted according to the best of meanings, which is faith'.

Visit www.asharis.wordpress.com and the Marifah website

Madhhab
    Hanbali

ok
    so let me get this

you don't believe that Ibn Arabi and Ibn Farid and others around their time who believed in wuhdat al-wujud meant by saying that only Allah exists >> that everything is Allah... in reality nothing exists except Him.. so everything we see is Him.. (High exalted be Allah) ?
    (meaning they meant itihad.. or hulool).

So you believe that they meant by wuhdat al-wujud what you have explained above ?
    correct?

Now don't attack me .. I am just asking .
    Allah تعالى said -translation of the meaning-:
    (O you who believe! Stand out firmly for Allh and be just witnesses and let not the enmity and hatred of others make you avoid justice. Be just: that is nearer to piety, and fear Allh. Verily, Allh is Well*Acquainted with what you do.)