Thread: A question about the meaning of "Hazrat"

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default A question about the meaning of "Hazrat"

Two brothers were debating about Islam, and one questioned why do we say "Hazrat Ali," "Hazrat Umar" etc? when we also call the Prophets Hazrat. They said we can also use words such as Ameeer ulmumineen etc... But where did the word HAZRAT orginated from? Is that what the Sahaba's called the Prophet? Hazrat Muhammad (pbuh) or is that what one sahaba' called the other? Hazrat Ali?

Can you please help me with this question?

Madhhab
    Maliki

It is an Arabic word, however it is the 'Ajam [Turks - Persians - Afghanis - Indian/Pakistanis] who mainly use it in the way that you mentioned.

It means something like "respected". It is used by Arabs too, however only in certain instances, and usually not used by the Arabs in the way that the 'Ajam do.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Yeah I realize that.... It is mainly Persians, Afghanis, Paki's and Indians and turks like you said although I don't understand why they would called the Sabaha's Hazrat and the Prophet also Hazrat... My answer to this person was also what you said that it means "respect" and it is a respectful way of saying their names, then the person replied will you can say Amir ulmumineen Ali etc ... Anyhow, thank you at least were on the same page.

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

Hazrat comes from Arabic "hadhrah" meaning "presence". It's an honorifc title and has other meanings such as that of a gathering where Allah is remembered.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Thanks... that was wonderful.

So based on the info you two have given, should we be calling the Sabaha's Hazrat? or Amir el'mumineen? When did Hazrat originate?

Madhhab
    Maliki

So based on the info you two have given, should we be calling the Sabaha's Hazrat? or Amir el'mumineen? When did Hazrat originate?
    It's only a custom, if you want to do it then do it, if not then don't worry about it.

Perhaps it depends also on who you are with and what language etc. Like if you are speaking Urdu or Persian or Turkish, then it would be normal to use the term, however it would be considered unusual in Arabic or Indonesian or Berber, for example. So it would probably come down to being a customary practice whose use would depend on the situation.