Thread: Camel Meat

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

Arrow Camel Meat

as-Salaamu `alaykum

I have two questions.

We learned that Imam al-Nawawi (rahimahullaah) believed camel meat did nullify one's wudu' but that Imam al-Shafi`i (rahimahullaah) did not. Is this correct?

I know the proof for those who say that it does break the wudu', such as the hadeeth of Jaabir (radiyallaahu `anh) that the Prophet (sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) was asked,

“Should I do wudu' after eating camel meat?” He said, “Yes.” The person said: “Should I do wudu' after eating mutton?” He said, “If you wish.” [Muslim]

and the hadeeth of al-Baraa'. My second question is if this was the opinion of Imam al-Shafi`i (rahimahullaah) then what was his argument (or the argument of those who say it doesn't period)?

I don't recall this from my lectures or even my notes. I am not a great researcher either because I don't speak/understand `arabee and I am still pretty new to this research stuff to be honest.

Jazaakum Allaahu khairan

Madhhab
    Maliki

Assalamu 'alaykum. The evidence used by ash-Shafi'i, Malik, Abu Hanifah and the majority of scholars that camel meat does not break wudhu' is the ahadith stating: "The final example of the Prophet [sallallahu 'alayhi wa-sallam] was to not make wudhu' from anything touched by fire." Also, the example of the khulafa' ar-rashidin who did not act upon the camel meat hadith. Therefore, according to the majority of 'ulama the camel meat hadith is "mansukh" [abrogated].

There are many ahadith that indicate that in the beginning of Islam, wudhu' was obligatory if one ate any food cooked by fire. Then [according to the saying of the jumhur] that was abrogated, with the exception of camel meat. Then, before the Prophet [sallallahu 'alayhi wa-sallam] died, all of that was abrogated, camel meat as well as non-camel meat.

Anyway, this is more or less the reasoning behind the view of the majority, and has been explained in various detailed books about this.

As for Imam Ahmad, most of the hadith scholars, and some of the Shafi'iyyah, they held a different view. Their argument was that the hadith "The final example of the Prophet [sallallahu 'alayhi wa-sallam] was to not make wudhu' from anything touched by fire" is general ['aamm], whereas the camel meat hadith is specific [khaass], and the specific is given precedence over the general.

So you can see that each side has their own basis for their argument. Wallahu a'lam

Madhhab
    Maliki

Oh yes, I almost forgot:

According to another opinion, the hadith about wudhu' from camel's meat refers to the linguistic meaning of "wudhu" i.e. rinsing hands and mouth, not the wudhu' that we know as wudhu'. Wallahu a'lam.

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

Quote Originally Posted by Abu 'Abdillah al-Maliki
    Oh yes, I almost forgot:

According to another opinion, the hadith about wudhu' from camel's meat refers to the linguistic meaning of "wudhu" i.e. rinsing hands and mouth, not the wudhu' that we know as wudhu'. Wallahu a'lam.
    Correct, brother. Jazakallahu khairan kathir

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Bismillah
    as sallamu alaikum

Imam Nawawi(rahmatullah) believed camel meat did nullify one's wudu' ? Where did he say this in? just curious
    and Allah alone gives sucess
    abdul latif
    http://seekerofsacredilm.wordpress.com/

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

Assalamu alaykum,

Also the hadith says cooked under fire...

What if we cook it on a stove.. its not under fire.. but under the heat of any pan... etc..

is it considered the same?

This is a question that is naggin my neck..

jazakAllah khair for your time and answer.