Thread: Salat ul-Awaabeen

Madhhab
    Don't know

Default Salat ul-Awaabeen

Salaam Everyone,

I was wondering about the Salat ul-Awaabeen. I have been researching it and have found some information about it. I know that it is prayed after Margrib salat and once can pray as many as 6 nafl salat, and as many as 12 so I have read. In my readings, I come across passages that say one can pray 6 nafl consecutively.
    Unfortunately I do not have that particlar link available to me but I do have this one link and I have quoted the passage at the end of my message.

IF this is the case and once can do this. My focus question is about the mechanics of praying Salat ul-Awaabeen then. When I say mechanics, I mean the physical movement or motions that one executes in order to perform salat.

I know one can pray 4 nafl in terms of the mechanics (the physical movement) and I would like to know how one prays 6 nafl?

Thank you all.

RJ

AOA

-------------
    Here is the afore mentioned passaged with the web link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salat

Awabeen

Main article: Salat ul-Awaabeen

Offering six to twenty rakaat after the Maghrib obligatory prayer is commendable. This prayer is called Salaatul Awabeen. It is optional to offer with one, two or even three salaams if reading six rakaat. But it is better to say salaam after every two rakaat. If all six rakaat are offered jointly (i.e. with one salaam), then the first two will be deemed "Sunnat-e-Muakkadah" and the remaining four as Nafl. A hadith says that the one who offers six rakaat prayer after Maghrib prayer speaking nothing but what is good in between the two prayers, will earn reward equal to the worship of twelve years.

Madhhab
    Maliki

As for salat al-tawba, it is two normal rak`ahs that are prayed after one sins, which is the foundation of salat al-tawba, one asks Allah for forgiveness after it and the person may ask for whatever [s.else] he wishes for.

And salat al-awwabin, what might be intended is salat al-duha, or salat al-ghafla, as in the Tuhfa. As for duha, it is sunna and its time enters when the sun is a spear’s length above the horizon and ends at the climax of the sun in the middle of the sky, (i.e. at the beginning of the dhuhr prayer). The least of it is two rak’ahs and the most one can do is 12 rak`ahs. It is permissible to pray them in sets of two and it is also permissible to pray them all joined together finishing off with salams.

As for salat al-ghafla, it is also sunna, and its time is between maghrib and `isha. The least of it is two rak`ahs and the maximum is 20 rak`ahs. It is permissible to pray them all joined together or separated into [s. two rak`ah] sets just like the duha.

Amjad Rasheed
    According to the soundest opinion, the Salat al-Awwabin (prayer of the oft-repentant) is 6 rakats, prayed after the Maghrib prayer in sets of two. It is best to do this after the 2 confirmed sunna rakats, though it is also valid to consider those 2 rakats from the 6.

Wassalam,

Faraz Rabbani.
    That is Shafi'i and Hanafi respectively.
    "Among the qualities of humanness, get rid of every quality
    incompatible with your slavehood so you can answer
    when Allah calls and be near His presence."

From al-Hikam al-'Ata'iyya of Ibn 'Ata Allah

Madhhab
    Don't know

Quote Originally Posted by lumumba_s

That is Shafi'i and Hanafi respectively.
    Thank you for taking the time brother.. however the answer provided is not answering my question as I see frankly.
    If there was more concise information available that would be really helpful.

Thank you.

RJ

AOA

Madhhab
    Maliki

Sorry, Salat al-Awwabeen is the just specific name given to the nafila salat that is prayed at those particular times. They are prayed like any regular nafila. Like tahajjud or qiyam al-layl, it is preferred that they be done it sets of two, but once can do them all at once without a salam separating the pairs of raka's if one wishes, since there is room in the nawafil.

And Allah knows best.
    "Among the qualities of humanness, get rid of every quality
    incompatible with your slavehood so you can answer
    when Allah calls and be near His presence."

From al-Hikam al-'Ata'iyya of Ibn 'Ata Allah