Thread: Imam Shams al-Din al-Ramli on Istigatha

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Imam Shams al-Din al-Ramli on Istigatha

The Shafi'is and other students of knowledge will be familiar with Imam Shams al-Din al-Ramli RH.

His father is Imam Shihab al-Din al-Ramli and he was a student of Shaykh al-Islam Zakarriya al-Ansari. Needless to say he is a massive authority for the Shafi'is

The shaikh wrote a book where he collected some of his father's fatawa.

The Askimam site has a short biography of the shaikh HERE for those who require more information about him.

Anyway, I've been researching this issue of Istigatha and I came across this interesting fatwa of his:

see: http://feqh.al-islam.com/Display.asp...23%23%23%23%23

i shall try and paraphrase what is mentioned

the question is essentially that the awaam when in distress say "Oh so and so" and "Oh RasulAllah" and things like this from istighatha with the prophets and the awliya the ulema and the rightoeus. Is this permitted?

and he replies

بأن الاستغاثة بالأنبياء والمرسلين والأولياء والعلماء والصالحين جائزة وللرسل والأنبياء والأولياء والصالحين إغاثة بعد موتهم ؛ لأن معجزة الأنبياء وكرامات الأولياء لا تنقطع بموتهم

Istighatha with the Prophets and Messengers the Awliya, `Ulema and the rightoeus is permitted

he then says that it is amongst the mu`jiza of the prophets and the karamat of the `awliya which does not cease to end with their deaths

basically he then goes on to mention how the prophets are alive in their graves

then he talks about the karamat of the awliya not ceasing after their death

etc.

[note: the views held by the Imam are his and I do not necessarily agree with or disagree with his view]
    Last edited by faqir; 28-07-2006 at 11:46 PM.
    Imam al-Zarqani said in his book Manahil al-Irfan: 'Our Scholars agreed that if a word carries 99 aspects of disbelief and one aspect of faith, it must be interpreted according to the best of meanings, which is faith'.

Visit www.asharis.wordpress.com and the Marifah website

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

Quote Originally Posted by faqir

The Shafi'is and other students of knowledge will be familiar with Imam Shams al-Din al-Ramli RH.

His father is Imam Shihab al-Din al-Ramli and he was a student of Shaykh al-Islam Zakarriya al-Ansari. Needless to say he is a massive authority for the Shafi'is

The shaikh wrote a book where he collected some of his father's fatawa.

The Askimam site has a short biography of the shaikh HERE for those who require more information about him.

Anyway, I've been researching this issue of Istigatha and I came across this interesting fatwa of his:

see: http://feqh.al-islam.com/Display.asp...23%23%23%23%23

i shall try and paraphrase what is mentioned

the question is essentially that the awaam when in distress say "Oh so and so" and "Oh RasulAllah" and things like this from istighatha with the prophets and the awliya the ulema and the rightoeus. Is this permitted?

and he replies

بأن الاستغاثة بالأنبياء والمرسلين والأولياء والعلماء والصالحين جائزة وللرسل والأنبياء والأولياء والصالحين إغاثة بعد موتهم ؛ لأن معجزة الأنبياء وكرامات الأولياء لا تنقطع بموتهم

Istighatha with the Prophets and Messengers the Awliya, `Ulema and the rightoeus is permitted

he then says that it is amongst the mu`jiza of the prophets and the karamat of the `awliya which does not cease to end with their deaths

basically he then goes on to mention how the prophets are alive in their graves

then he talks about the karamat of the awliya not ceasing after their death

etc.

[note: the views held by the Imam are his and I do not necessarily agree with or disagree with his view]
    Jazakallahu khair Brother faqir.
    Actually we Shafi'is believe that Imam Shams al-Din al-Ramli was a Mujaddid.
    His fatwas are followed by later Shafi'is, as was the fatwas of Imam Ibn Hajar al-Haitami.