Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Best age for child to start learning Quran?

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Talking Re: Best age for child to start learning Quran?

Quote Originally Posted by asharehman View Post
    Assalamualikum

From my own experiance i would say when a child starts school is the time they start learning. An ideal age to teach your child the quran is 4.
    Aa ideal age to teach the Quran-e-Kareem is not 4. At that age you should teach them the basics e.g. the arabic letters, simple arabic words etc. If a child is not taught the basics properly then he/she will have a hard time learning to read.
    Even though I am very young and you may not take me seriously. I strongly advise you that creating a strong foundation of arabic reading is more important than just memorizing at a young age.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Re: Best age for child to start learning Quran?

Little children are like tape recorders. They record everything they hear. I don't see no problem in teaching little kids small surahs and duaas. They pick it up very quickly. We don't have to force them but teach them in a very fun way. My son memorized surah fatiha, surah ikhlaas, surah kauthar, suratul asr by the age of three. I am not boasting but letting eveyone know it is not a matter of force, but just listening to the parents reading and also tape.etc, kids pick up extremely fast.
    Then also it is important we teach them Arabic accordingly. If they are finding it fun and interesting why should we not teach them? The days I realize he's not in the mood to learn Arabic (Qaida) I wouldn't force him, but give him a break for a few days. Then he himself would want to start back again. But we have to make it fun.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

I think when a baby starts talking you can make him/her memorize short surah and duaas, even if he/she does not knows what is being memorized.my daughter is 3 year old and always says duaa of sleeping and waking up and always say Bismillah sharif before eating or taking feeder. I think parents should be role model. As long as the basics are concerned i think first make childern memorize short duaas and surahs and then at the age of about 4 years, basics be taught small surahs and then whole the quraan. i myself know many childern who are reading quraan very well at the age of 5 & 6 it means they began their quraanic educatin at 4 year or so.
    Last edited by adampuri; 20-09-2008 at 06:32 AM.
    Fatia Gill

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

As salamu alykum any age is good to start .How ever if it is not maintained by regular revision .and recitation to a shaykh. there is the posibility of forgetting.and deteriorating in the quality.After all the holy Quraan was revealed over a period of 23 years. so why not memorise , for example 3 ajzaa for the year and tha spend the rest of the year revising the ajzaa that you have memorised.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by MHU View Post
    As Salam Alaikum

Really interesting and somewhat diverse opinions on that matter. Masha Allah! I guess it is time for me to throw in my two cents worth also, lol.

Learning the Quran is a huge process, that many can vouch, takes several years and doesnt just come crashing down into someone's brain and heart. As for what is the appropriate age to start LEARNING Quran, well, it should gradually start as babies. I can already see the reaction of, WHAT! NO WAY!!..lol, but I am not saying have them sit down and tell them to read or try to teach them the Arabic alphabet. You have to start reading in front of them, around them, because whether you like it or not, they will do whatever you do to a certain age. We all set the example for children and kids around us by just being present. So the learning process starts from US as parents, siblings or whomever we may be. Role Modeling would be the first step and this runs throughtout their lives if you really think about it. To an extent, I still ponder upon what my father, mother, brother, sister, grandmother, uncle etc. did or do now, because it matters.

The second stage would be most likely to actually having them sit down at a certain time of day with you to learn some very basic alphabets. This could range from age 3-5, depending on the child. Remember this is just having them sit down for a very short time with you, even if this is just 10-30 minutes. You are just trying to fix the idea of a task here, you are not trying to implement that they have no choice. Rewarding is helpful but routine rewarding can backfire also, make sure they realize that effort...gains reward. This rule is lighter on the younger children from 0-4, after that age they should realize WHY they will and do get rewards. Also needed to remember is the fact that rewards should never take over in the child's mind as the PURPOSE for reading Quran or learning Arabic, because the entire idea then becomes materialistic. So now, they are in routine of just sitting and putting in an effort of THEIR ability to read and learn the Arabic alphabet.

At around age 5, actually start giving them lessons on how to pronounce each letter properly and correctly. Dont be too strict and not too easy going either, just a little bit of both. Go SLOW!, dont try to make the child rush through the Qaida or Lesson book, make sure they are flowing and understand each letter they are going through. Sometimes in the rush of things, we lack in teaching the children correct pronounciation and fluent reading abilities. In my experience as a Quran teacher, I take the longest on the Qaida and implement it even after they have completed it, because it is a strong tool towards the proper Tajweed (Pronounciation).

If you run this process by age 7 or 8, your child will have most likely have completed a good portion of the Quran, if not the entire Quran. It depends on the individual child and honestly it isnt a competition to who can finish faster or who's child can finish at a younger age. Many parents came to me, saying so and so's child had finished, help my child finish in half the time and I totally rejected the idea and told them all I have been mentioning here. If the child takes until he or she is 10, 11 or 12 until they complete their reading of the Quran, dont be worried but always try to maintain that they read something every single day. EVERY SINGLE DAY........not just the days they go to the Madarsa, that is just an extra, they should have a reading time in their own homes and enviroments where they can read, peacefully without blaring TV's or endless Social events. LOL Come on, all you people know that you do it, those useless Social events that occur almost every other day, with no purpose sometimes. It is nice to meet each other but in each gathering, beginning, interval and ending should have some Islamic benefit in it. That could be a hadith mentioned or a topic as I am discussing now being mentioned. Anything to keep our minds and tongues off of backbitting and sinful things. Role Modeling again........I know I keep mentioning it but when you became a parent, you made an oath to Allah that you would guide this child(ren) to the right path, so make sure you do only what is acceptable in Islam so they may learn from your example more than just your mere words.

A lot of the brothers and sisters mentioned a very good point that there should be some guidance in the department of what they are reading, and this is where you telling them the stories of the Prophets or incidents that are mentioned in the Quran. Several books can be found to help this process out really, my good friend has a whole bunch on his website that you can purchase: www.islamiccurriculum.com

Start by explaining stories of the prophets and sahabahs because at the younger age and even at older stages they are fascinated of what happened and how. History really strikes children and honestly, it really depends on HOW the story is told. Keep interesting tones and actions that explain what is happening in the story but obviously not exaggerating or over-doing it. Both parents or gaurdians should be involved, not being biased on male or female, because their is an equal responsibility.

Memorization is a complicated factor...and I think before you decide to make a child a Hafiz he/she should be able to at least awknowledge what it actually is and what responsibilities lie after. DONT SCARE them with Hadith about what will happen if they forget because they will retaliate in NEVER EVER wanting to memorize anything, even small and short surahs. Instead, inform them in their age accordance of how it will be their responsibility to safegaurd Allah's words and it only can be done by constantly revising. This is a healthier way but I have seen some opposites work. Small surahs and duas, even the entire Juz Amma/30th...is fine without really all this consultation and can start early because they will need some surahs to read in Salat. So having said that you could start simple memorizing as soon as they are fluent in reading the Quran. As for becoming Hafiz....well in my opinion I would delay it until age 9 or 10 at least because before that they are too young to even understand WHAT it is they are aiming and achieving.

Nonetheless, this is all my opinion and I apply it to my students each day, but different Huffaz and Alims have their seperate and effective ways. Sometimes their ways work better than mine, lol.....

Walaikum As Salam
    Aa

I know this is an old message but this has really given me some food for thought. I struggle with teaching my children on a daily basis as I find it hard to be patient. I'll take this advice on board inshaallah.... really good ma, jazakallah khair

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Masyaallah.. Its was really the great of ALLAH!!

I new a story about a boy had being teach his mothers n fathers about islam. Just in age of 4 years old..

That's mean in ALLAH said it's nothing possible if HE want to show to people to realize or not.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Asalamualaikum,

Sorry for joining the thread 2 years after it started, but I had to chime in.

Traditionally, children were left to play until they reached the age of 7. And this was based on the hadith on teaching children Salaat at that age. Shaykh Hamza Yusuf talks alot about this, and in one of his speeches he called it a "crime" to teach children before the age of 7. Checkout any of his speeches on Education.

A really good book on this subject is called "A is for Ox" By Barry Sanders, who talks about the REQUIREMENT for children to grow a full 7 years, illiterate. His thesis being that children need that time to allow their brains to develop communication and left brain thinking. Once they become literate, that part of the brain stops growing, and the literacy side starts. He goes on to say that children can learn before 7, but it hurts mental development later on in life.

Last - the Prophet (saw) didn't create hafiz at the age of 3. Allahu-Alim.

Munawar

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by munawarali View Post
    Asalamualaikum,

Sorry for joining the thread 2 years after it started, but I had to chime in.

Traditionally, children were left to play until they reached the age of 7. And this was based on the hadith on teaching children Salaat at that age. Shaykh Hamza Yusuf talks alot about this, and in one of his speeches he called it a "crime" to teach children before the age of 7. Checkout any of his speeches on Education.

A really good book on this subject is called "A is for Ox" By Barry Sanders, who talks about the REQUIREMENT for children to grow a full 7 years, illiterate. His thesis being that children need that time to allow their brains to develop communication and left brain thinking. Once they become literate, that part of the brain stops growing, and the literacy side starts. He goes on to say that children can learn before 7, but it hurts mental development later on in life.

Last - the Prophet (saw) didn't create hafiz at the age of 3. Allahu-Alim.

Munawar

Jk , can you tell me the hadith and its source as we mentioned this to our Ustadh and he asked for the reference.

And, if it is the case that formal learning should take place after 7, then why is this not reflected in Islamic schools?

ws

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by onetinywish View Post
    Jk , can you tell me the hadith and its source as we mentioned this to our Ustadh and he asked for the reference.

And, if it is the case that formal learning should take place after 7, then why is this not reflected in Islamic schools?
    Asalamualaikum, The Hadith is:

The Prophet(saw) said: "Order your children to pray at the age of seven. And beat them [lightly] if they do not do so by the age of ten. And separate them in their bedding."
    Hadith - Bukhari 3:734, Narrated Abu Huraira

Re: Islamic Schools - Islamic Schools are the last place to look, for good/proper Islamic education

Madhhab
    Hanafi

you are absolutely right but we consider some points
    There is a great many differnce of cultures of these days and that perfact era.
    The society is too corrupt these days. MUTTAQI personalities are hard to find.
    People of these days neither care theirs nor others childern.
    People don't feel safe themselves even in their homes.