Thread: what does "kafir" mean?

Madhhab
    Not Muslim

Default what does "kafir" mean?

so this was posted in the use of kafir thread.

"Jahiel = ignorant.
    Kafir = disbeliever/hiding the truth after knowing it."

that leads to the question. if a jahiel is told about and has access to the Quran but still doesnt believe it is it automatically assumed he does believe it but is hiding the truth (ie a liar). This is whaty the above definitions seem to indicate, but surely you cant believe all people who have access to the Quran but arenty muslims are liars?

Madhhab
    Hanafi

They are deluded.

Man can be deluded by many ways.

First islam requires that man give up his own will and desires and conform to Divine commands and prohibitions that his own ego will find 'bitter and painful'. This is especially so if this mans ego has intense love for the transitory things of this world (like material wealth, fame, glory, praise of people etc).

Such men will say...why should I stop taking usury?

Why should I not exploit the poor people and nature for a big profit? I am doing good (they will rationalize and justify their theft as natural and normal 'free markets')

Why should I not bomb that country over there because it has what I want and I can impose my will upon it, so what if lots of innocent people are killed? (thats collatoral damage not my fault and responsibility).

In short the ego is so inflated with its own sense of mastery that it refuses to submit to the truth. The Truth becomes hidden to such men because they are arrogant. Their desires have made their intellect intoxicated they do not want to curtail their desires because of some 'fairy stories'... Allah swt hates arrogance and decalres war on them. Just because arrogant disbelivers seem to be succesful in the world do not be fooled by such superficial outward appearences..a time will come when the Wrath of Allah swt will destroy them.
    Last edited by MuhammadAmin; 22-11-2006 at 06:38 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes
    Peace

http://islamic-life.blogspot.com/

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Hi Dead Pirate.

Kafir means "to cover" literally, so in essence from the Islamic standpoint it is someone who doesnt beleive the Truth. However i dont beleive this makes them a liar. Delusion is one thing, but Egotism is definately the other.

Just look at the case of Richard Dawkins, revelling in his book so much he has now decided to do it on DVD/other books etc... his views are becoming more and more extreme (i cant print some of the stuff i read in the independant yesterday). So in effect it is someone putting on cover after cover after cover after cover. Because they do not want to reflect inside themselves and their own souls (ie> The more they cover themselves the more extreme they get).

Questioning "where you are going" and "where will i end up" are however the first neccessary steps to recognising this and are commended.

Pictorally imagine if you naturally where standing as you are. A black cloak was then thrown on you (literally) to cover you whole and block your view. This is the vivid reality/meaning of the word Kafir.

Madhhab
    Don't know

It means diffrent to different people. To shia Kafir mwans wahabi, to a wahabi Kafir means shia, to Brelvi Kafir means Salafi and to a Kafir it means nothing.
    Its better to Err on the side of caution when it comes to Tawheed.
    There is no doubt in Ya Allah Madad

Madhhab
    Shi'ite

Quote Originally Posted by Abba View Post
    It means diffrent to different people. To shia Kafir mwans wahabi, to a wahabi Kafir means shia, to Brelvi Kafir means Salafi and to a Kafir it means nothing.
    Salamun Alaikum

The Shia do not consider the Wahabies kafir. They are considered munafiqs. clear distinction.