Thread: Discipline

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Discipline

Assalamu alaikum wr wb

How do you discipline your children?
    What are the methods you use? What are the pros and cons of it? What have you found useful? What haven't you found useful?

What are the limits to how far you would go or wouldn't go?

Would you mind if someone were to discipline your child if they were misbehaving and you weren't there? What point would you limit them to discipline your own child?

Please list all the positive ways to discipline rather than resort to the negative ones.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

My sister uses this 1-2-3-Magic Book. Its REALLY good. I havent read it(because I dont need to yet haha) but someting along the lines of counting...? And every time my sister starts counting, my neice is like, in control by the time she gets to "3"

Also, I once read a hadith about how some sahabi said that when he disobeyed Allah he came home to find his wife, child or donkey(i think it was a donkey) in disobedience to him. Donkey, onbviously, would be the mode of transportation. So in this day and age, it would be your car breaking down. I may change my mind once I am in the situation and have kids of my own insha Allah, but for now, I firmly believe that if we obey Allah, our kids will obey us. If we disobey Allah, our kids will disobey us. Same with marriage...please Allah and you will be pleased with eachother. Seems quite simple

oh, and also(forgot this before) when my neice starts acting up, iots usually because she wants attention. So my sister says "lets take a mommy break" and she stops everything shes doing and sits with her and hugs her and kisses her and tells her she loves her. It works really well. Because now, when noori(my neice) gets frustrated and starts crying, she will recognize on her own(she is 3) what she needs and she comes to my sister and says "i need a momma break" Its positive. and it works. You should try it insha Allah
    O people who take pleasure in a life that will vanish, falling in love with a fading shadow is sheer stupidity. -Ibn al Qayyim

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Amina, can you find out the title and author of that magic book?
    I used to use the 1-2-3 counting strategy with my 2nd graders and trust me it worked wonders. You don't have to scream or anything and the kids are under control.
    “To Allah we belong and to Him we shall return”

Madhhab
    Hanafi

yeah its crazy...sometimes when my sister does that and noori becomes a different kid altogether i'm like "do you beat her when we're not around?!" because its soooo strange how every temper tantrum just STOPS as soon as she starts crying!

here is the book:

http://www.parentmagic.com/shoppingc...m?productid=62
    O people who take pleasure in a life that will vanish, falling in love with a fading shadow is sheer stupidity. -Ibn al Qayyim

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by UmmIbrahimIsa View Post
    Assalamu alaikum wr wb

How do you discipline your children?
    What are the methods you use? What are the pros and cons of it? What have you found useful? What haven't you found useful?

What are the limits to how far you would go or wouldn't go?

Would you mind if someone were to discipline your child if they were misbehaving and you weren't there? What point would you limit them to discipline your own child?

Please list all the positive ways to discipline rather than resort to the negative ones.
    As Salaamu Alaikum All

Prophet Muhammad covered everything or all most everything that we needed to know to raise a family and a nation. The Messenger called them the Etiquettes of what ever it was. Like the etiquettes of the Masjid. I’m a teacher and when my class comes in, a new one that is, I read them the riot act. There will be no thinking in this class, we are here to learn the rules and the rules only, and if you do not comply with these rules you will be isolated from the group until you comply. No one wants to be isolated especially children, they tend to get with the program. Everything in a Muslims life has etiquettes, and when something goes wrong it’s because the etiquettes were not followed most of the time if not all of the time.
    Here is an etiquettes that we all should know, eat-less, talk-less, and sleep-less.

Ma-Salaama
    Last edited by abdur rashiid; 28-01-2007 at 12:34 AM.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Maybe posting them here so everyone can benefit would be better.

Also if you tell the children that they cannot think at all in the class will be basically telling them they have no imagination nor rights to think for themselves and just be programmers which is not good if they are going to be doing dawah anytime soon.

BTW:
    My questions are just questions to get the forum going on discussions.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by UmmIbrahimIsa View Post
    Maybe posting them here so everyone can benefit would be better.

Also if you tell the children that they cannot think at all in the class will be basically telling them they have no imagination nor rights to think for themselves and just be programmers which is not good if they are going to be doing dawah anytime soon.

BTW:
    My questions are just questions to get the forum going on discussions.
    As Salaamu Alaikum

In-sha-Allah, I will do that some time in the future, but now to the point. When I said that I tell my class that there is no thinking in this class, it is because what they are about to learn does not need them to do that. They are learning rules to a particulate subject, which need not one to think about. They just need to learn it. Like the timetables, they are memorized and there is no other way to learn them and most children have a hard time with Math because they have not learnt their timetables. English has rules, and if you please tell me why the w in who is not pronounced when worship is!

I’ll wait, I have the time.

I'll try to post one etiquette a day to get the forum going on discussions.