Thread: Is this line in the Quran?

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Is this line in the Quran?

I was unable to find it, but maybe it has a different translation. I heard this quoted recently and couldn't find which surah it's from.

For every man there is a purpose which he sets up for his life and which he pursues. Let yours be the doing of all good deeds.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by OneLife View Post
    I was unable to find it, but maybe it has a different translation. I heard this quoted recently and couldn't find which surah it's from.

For every man there is a purpose which he sets up for his life and which he pursues. Let yours be the doing of all good deeds.
    I can't seem to find this exact line. IF it is in the Qu'ran, though, the source I found locates it to Surah 2.

Here is the translation of the Surah:

http://www.road-to-heaven.com/quran/english/2.htm

I'll ask someone I know who should know and get back to you. For now all I know is that it should be located in the Surah 2 (Which happens to be the longest Surah and thus hardest to find something in it)

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Please let me know if you do find it.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

I believe you are referring to this passage

2: 146

They unto whom We have vouchsafed revelation aforetime know it as they know their own children: but, behold, some of them knowingly suppress the truth - (2: 147) the truth from thy Sustainer!*

Be not, then, among the doubters: (2: 148) for, every community faces a direction of its own, of which He'is the focal point.** Vie, therefore, with one another in doing good works. Wherever you may be, God will gather you all unto Himself: for, verily, God has the power to will anything.

Verse 148 CAN be interpreted to my knowledge the way you wrote it above.
    May the peace and blessings of Allah be sent upon His Noble Messenger as often as ths is read. Ameen ya Rabil Alameen

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by bmarchman View Post
    I believe you are referring to this passage

2: 146

They unto whom We have vouchsafed revelation aforetime know it as they know their own children: but, behold, some of them knowingly suppress the truth - (2: 147) the truth from thy Sustainer!*

Be not, then, among the doubters: (2: 148) for, every community faces a direction of its own, of which He'is the focal point.** Vie, therefore, with one another in doing good works. Wherever you may be, God will gather you all unto Himself: for, verily, God has the power to will anything.

Verse 148 CAN be interpreted to my knowledge the way you wrote it above.

YUSUFALI: To each is a goal to which Allah turns him; then strive together (as in a race) Towards all that is good. Wheresoever ye are, Allah will bring you Together. For Allah Hath power over all things.

PICKTHAL: And each one hath a goal toward which he turneth; so vie with one another in good works. Wheresoever ye may be, Allah will bring you all together. Lo! Allah is Able to do all things.

SHAKIR: And every one has a direction to which he should turn, therefore hasten to (do) good works; wherever you are, Allah will bring you all together; surely Allah has power over all things.

That has got to be it. I heard it being referred to on a TV show and wanted to verify if the Quran had such a line. But it seems to be a translation of this verse.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Good, my translation is from Muhammad Asad, but it seems it can be used in a few different contexts.

Happy to help

salam
    May the peace and blessings of Allah be sent upon His Noble Messenger as often as ths is read. Ameen ya Rabil Alameen