Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: History of Deoband Thought

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default History of Deoband Thought

First off let me say that everything I've read about the Akbair makes me love them. My impression of Deobandi's is conservative + tassawuf. I'm speaking about the Deobandi Ulema, of course; there are some extreme Deobandi awam... But nonetheless they seem like great people. Now, I'm not able to read Urdu, so I'm kind of handicaped. This means that all the information I get about them is through intmederies. So, there might be alot that I'm not understanding.

Anyways, I'm interested in how it all came together. Was there always a strain of ultra-conservativism amongs the Ulema of India? Did this evolve because of certain indviduals? I've heard the name of Shah Walliullah(ra)(i think that's his name) thrown around. I don't mean any disrepect, but did the emergence of Salafism/Wahhabism effect the Ulema. What was the religous climate before the creation of Daruloom Deoband? Once Ulema of Deoband began writing stuff, were Ulema around India becoming bipartisan? I mean, did they divide all around India, and began choosing sides? That's all for now.

Please don't turn this in a Deboandi-Brelwie brawl! I would apreciate if Deobandi's and non-Debandi's can chime in, and please be objective... Also I'd like if some of you can post links, if there is anything on the internet over this topic.
    Last edited by mustajab; 20-04-2007 at 02:44 AM.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Maybe start off with the offical site of Darul uloom Deoband.
    Haq Char Yaar

Barelwiyyat

Ahlel Bayt

Free Books

Chand say Tashbih daina, yeh bhi koi Insaf hai
    Us kay Munh pay Chayan, Madani ka Chahra Saf hai

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by mustajab View Post
    First off let me say that everything I've read about the Akbair makes me love them. My impression of Deobandi's is conservative + tassawuf. I'm speaking about the Deobandi Ulema, of course; there are some extreme Deobandi awam... But nonetheless they seem like great people. Now, I'm not able to read Urdu, so I'm kind of handicaped. This means that all the information I get about them is through intmederies. So, there might be alot that I'm not understanding.

Anyways, I'm interested in how it all came together. Was there always a strain of ultra-conservativism amongs the Ulema of India? Did this evolve because of certain indviduals? I've heard the name of Shah Walliullah(ra)(i think that's his name) thrown around. I don't mean any disrepect, but did the emergence of Salafism/Wahhabism effect the Ulema. What was the religous climate before the creation of Daruloom Deoband? Once Ulema of Deoband began writing stuff, were Ulema around India becoming bipartisan? I mean, did they divide all around India, and began choosing sides? That's all for now.

Please don't turn this in a Deboandi-Brelwie brawl! I would apreciate if Deobandi's and non-Debandi's can chime in, and please be objective... Also I'd like if some of you can post links, if there is anything on the internet over this topic.
    You are not asking the right questions in my opinion. It seems like you've already assumed a few things and want to confirm whether or not certain things are true or false. Right of the bat you felt it was appropriate to mention polemical issues. Unfortunately I would have to admit, people from within and outside the Deobandis have given this impression reflected in your questions, so I don't completely blame you.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by khanbaba View Post
    Maybe start off with the offical site of Darul uloom Deoband.
    JazkAllah. Stupid me, should've checked their webiste. The site seems to have wealth of information.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by sunnilink View Post
    You are not asking the right questions in my opinion. It seems like you've already assumed a few things and want to confirm whether or not certain things are true or false. Right of the bat you felt it was appropriate to mention polemical issues. Unfortunately I would have to admit, people from within and outside the Deobandis have given this impression reflected in your questions, so I don't completely blame you.
    Yeah, maybe. That's why I wanted to clarify, before I keep assuming, and for Deobandi's to dispell any misconceptions I have.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

There is an effort underway to translate biographies of the major Deobandi scholars of the past, so once that comes out it may be beneficial.

A few interesting links from Darul Uloom Deoband's website:

About Deoband
    http://darululoom-deoband.com/englis...uloom/main.htm

The Founders of Deoband
    http://darululoom-deoband.com/englis...lema/index.htm

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Assalamualikum,

for the links. I have also been interested in reading more about the origination of Deobandis as well as for the Brelwies, (any links on them?)

wa'salam
    "The Lord and Cherisher of the worlds, Who created me, and it is He Who guides me" - Ash-shu'araa: 77-78

Banned
    Madhhab
    Hanafi

origins of barelwis

http://www.*********.com/masabih/showthread.php?t=3020

(get rid of the gaps when you paste in into the address bar)

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by godilali View Post
    Although well written, the above article contains some serious inaccuracies. View the following thread, particularly ahsan's post: http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/show...rthquake+qadir
    Walaykum Asalaam

Thank you for the link, reading it it seems there is main respect for the article but the sources are questioned heavily. It is fine and i can cope with that i think, i trust the Shaykh as he has contacts very high in all spheres of life. However it would be unfair for me to expect everyone to have the same level of Trust.

You have to remember, whilst i am not certifying the article is 100% correct - Shaykh Abdul Qadir As Sufi comes from the very heart of "the establishment". That is why the Jews and the Freemasons hate him so much (he was from their playground as a revert Scottish Nobleman) before coming to Islam.

FYI no disregard of deobandis is ever done in his groups and we wellcome both Hanafi Muslims in our dhikrs/events. Barelwis or Deobandis. As someone who has been on Tablighi Jamaat and had Deobandi teachers, but also Ghyarween/Mawlid with the Barelwis i found his article refreshing and "different". I was looking for someone a bit more balanced and Alhamdullilah i found it in him.

Fee amanAllah
    "The Muslim is the one who reforms himself, the Hypocrite is the one who finds constant faults in others" -
    Moulana Rumi

Our proof is our People” Shaykh Abdal Qadir as Sufi ( may Allah protect him)