Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: For Ex-Salafees (Ghair Muqallideen); what made you follow a Madhab?

Banned
    Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default For Ex-Salafees (Ghair Muqallideen); what made you follow a Madhab?

Asslamo Allaikum Brothers/Sisters,

I am very interested in your personal experiences, so I will start out my mine first:

I am very interested in your personal experiences, so I will start out my mine first:
    1) The first major impact was this statement of Abdullah Ibn Al-Mubarak (RA) (I am paraphrasing): “In matters in which the people of knowledge differ, I make Abu Haneefa (RA) & Sufyan Thauri (RA) Hujja between me & Allah (SWT) on the day of judgement”

I knew the rank of Abdullah Ibn Al-Mubarak (RA) and his rank amongst Muhadetheen and statements of Imam Bukhari (RA) & Yahya Bin Ma’een (RA) so this statement profoundly shocked & rattled me!

And

Ibn Hajar also related that Ibn al-Mubarak said: "If Allah had not rescued me with Abu Hanifa and Sufyan [al-Thawri] I would have been like the rest of the common people.

There were many other statements which just accumulated and accentuated the effect over time but I remember that one profoundly!

I also read Musnaf Abdur-Razaq which lists roughly 17,000 (can't remember) Fatawa of Sahaba (RA) and MOST without daleel!

I got me thinking that here I am telling myself and laymen to abandon Madhab (Imams in particular) and on the other hand there were Muhadetheen telling people that they make someone Hujja between them & Allah (SWT) without daleel! My mind couldn’t reconcile the two logically.

2) The second affect was a Shaykh who taught Fiqh for 50 years in India and grew up in the household of Maulana Ashraf Ali Thanwi (RA); no matter what I argued about with him I couldn’t shake off the feeling that something was pulling at my heart. I tried to justify it, understand it but couldn’t!

3) Then there were series of dreams and I NEVER dream and I couldn’t shake’em off!

So the 1st effect was technical but 2 & 3 were and still remain unexplainable.

I know that it sounds hocus-pocus but that’s what happened.

I have learned that the effects of Ihsan or Tasawuuf are unexplainable (at least I can't)
    Last edited by Colonel_Hardstone; 21-04-2007 at 08:37 AM.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

alhumdulillah
    Last edited by hafs; 27-04-2007 at 03:46 PM.

Madhhab
    None

Quote Originally Posted by hafs View Post
    I was not so knowledgeable to be able to find out these differences myself. My first contact with Islam was through salafi's and Iwas completely brainwashed with their ideaology it was the only right for me.
    I had people arguing with me and telling me otherwise but I regarded them as gumraah/misled .
    I prayed for guidance and was guided by Allah through a dream with nabi kareem s.a .
    Muhammed s.a told me to stop listening to the salafi teacher and not attend the lectures anymore and to believe in taqleed .I cannot thank Allah s.w.t enough for his mercy .After that I found sunni scholars and realised my mistakes .
    I have only Allah to thank.
    Wow what a mash'allah story

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by Muadh_Khan View Post
    Asslamo Allaikum Brothers/Sisters,

1) The first major impact was this statement of Abdullah Ibn Al-Mubarak (RA) (I am paraphrasing): “In matters in which the people of knowledge differ, I make Abu Haneefa (RA) & Sufyan Thauri (RA) Hujja between me & Allah (SWT) on the day of judgement”

I knew the rank of Abdullah Ibn Al-Mubarak (RA) and his rank amongst Muhadetheen and statements of Imam Bukhari (RA) & Yahya Bin Ma’een (RA) so this statement profoundly shocked & rattled me!

And

Ibn Hajar also related that Ibn al-Mubarak said: "If Allah had not rescued me with Abu Hanifa and Sufyan [al-Thawri] I would have been like the rest of the common people.

There were many other statements which just accumulated and accentuated the effect over time but I remember that one profoundly!

I also read Musnaf Abdur-Razaq which lists roughly 17,000 (can't remember) Fatawa of Sahaba (RA) and MOST without daleel!

I got me thinking that here I am telling myself and laymen to abandon Madhab (Imams in particular) and on the other hand there were Muhadetheen telling people that they make someone Hujja between them & Allah (SWT) without daleel! My mind couldn’t reconcile the two logically.

2) The second affect was a Shaykh who taught Fiqh for 50 years in India and grew up in the household of Maulana Ashraf Ali Thanwi (RA); no matter what I argued about with him I couldn’t shake off the feeling that something was pulling at my heart. I tried to justify it, understand it but couldn’t!

3) Then there were series of dreams and I NEVER dream and I couldn’t shake’em off!

So the 1st effect was technical but 2 & 3 were and still remain unexplainable.

I know that it sounds hocus-pocus but that’s what happened.

I have learned that the effects of Ihsan or Tasawuuf are unexplainable (at least I can't)

Masha'Allah, Hafs your story is amazing too

I can't remember, I think i was given Da'wah by my teacher and after that I read Fiqh al-Imam and Legal Status of Following a Madhab with an open mind which convinced me and made me see sense

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Many people will say this was the reason:

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by hafs View Post
    I was not so knowledgeable to be able to find out these differences myself. My first contact with Islam was through salafi's and Iwas completely brainwashed with their ideaology it was the only right for me.
    I had people arguing with me and telling me otherwise but I regarded them as gumraah/misled .
    I prayed for guidance and was guided by Allah through a dream with nabi kareem s.a .
    Muhammed s.a told me to stop listening to the salafi teacher and not attend the lectures anymore and to believe in taqleed .I cannot thank Allah s.w.t enough for his mercy .After that I found sunni scholars and realised my mistakes .
    I have only Allah to thank.
    salaam,
    wow mashallah sis, truly amazing mashallah!
    wasalaam
    If a person wants to measure his nearness to Allah, he should apply the following formula given by Shaykh Gangohi:

ďA personís nearness to Allah is proportional to his distance from his own ego and self [nafs].Ē

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Assalamu 'alaykum Wa Rahmathullah Wa Barakathuhu

I know someone who was a Salafee for a while, and he used to paraphrase what the Salafees say about Fazail Amaal, Taqleed etc. Then I brought Fiqh Al-Imam by Mufti Abdur Rahman ibn Yusuf, and showed it to him. I also printed an excellent article by South African Ulama which refutes the allegations against Fazail Amaal etc. Al-Hamdulillah Masha Allah he retured to Taqleed. SubhanAllah, his attitude while he was a Salafi was really 'violent-like' arguing and shouting. Al-Hamdulillah Masha Allah he stopped that.

Wasalam.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by Bin Abd Al-Matin View Post
    Assalamu 'alaykum Wa Rahmathullah Wa Barakathuhu

I know someone who was a Salafee for a while, and he used to paraphrase what the Salafees say about Fazail Amaal, Taqleed etc. Then I brought Fiqh Al-Imam by Mufti Abdur Rahman ibn Yusuf, and showed it to him. I also printed an excellent article by South African Ulama which refutes the allegations against Fazail Amaal etc. Al-Hamdulillah Masha Allah he retured to Taqleed. SubhanAllah, his attitude while he was a Salafi was really 'violent-like' arguing and shouting. Al-Hamdulillah Masha Allah he stopped that.

Wasalam.
    Fiqh Al-Imam is a must for every Hanafi layman in the west. Everyone should have a copy in their homes. Think of it as a protective measure.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by sunnilink View Post
    Fiqh Al-Imam is a must for every Hanafi layman in the west. Everyone should have a copy in their homes. Think of it as a protective measure.

Even though its if Fiqh ul Imam :P

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by abuhajira View Post

Even though its if Fiqh ul Imam :P

lol .. yep

In fact, if I remember correctly originally it was called Fiqh ul Imam.