Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Sahih Bukhari & Muslim 100% Sahih or not?

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Question Are Sahih Bukhari & Muslim 100% Sahih or not?

just wanted to get this clarified, since I've been told that this is not the case.
    What is the opinion of Ahlu Sunnah wel Jama on this matter?

Madhhab
    Maliki

It is actually obligatory to believe that all of the hadith in Sahih Bukhari and Sahih Muslim are sahih and that the Prophet actually said them -- and it is sinful to believe otherwise.

I have been taught this by many scholars of Ahl al-Sunnah.

wa 'alaykum as salam wa rahmatallahi wa barakatahu.

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

That's odd. Imam ash-Shafi'i is among the scholars who said a particular hadith is Da3eef, and that hadith later ended up in Sahih Muslim.

Furthermore, the introduction to Sahih Muslim's work states that Imam Muslim, upon completion of his Sahih, took his book to several of the big Hadith scholars of his time to get their opinions... and that they responded that 4 ahadith in his Sahih are not Saheeh. However, the introduction does not state which 4.

At least one hadith in Sahih Muslim, the one reported from Anas bin Malik that Rasoolullah , Abu Bakr, and Umar did not recite the basmalah in Surat ul-Fatihah (which is the same one that Imam ash-Shafi'i said is Da3eef) has evidence of Hashw according to many Hadith scholars (most?). This means that part of the matn of the hadith was not actually said by Anas (Radiyallahu anhu) but was added by one of the scholars who came later in the chain.

Another example is Hadith ul-Jaariyah, which is narrated by Imam Muslim. This hadith contradicts a mutawaatir hadith.

All of that having been said, it is regularly taught that all of the ahadith in Sahih al-Bukhari and Sahih Muslim are Sahih. I have never had it explained in more depth though. Perhaps this means that all of the ahadith have Sahih 'asnaad, but could potentially have other issues. I have never heard of a hadith in al-Bukhari or Muslim having the authenticity of its sanad questioned. Ultimately, though, it would be best to ask a HaafiTH these sorts of questions. A Muhaddith may not be knowledgable enough.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by Omar HH View Post
    It is actually obligatory to believe that all of the hadith in Sahih Bukhari and Sahih Muslim are sahih and that the Prophet actually said them -- and it is sinful to believe otherwise.

I have been taught this by many scholars of Ahl al-Sunnah.

wa 'alaykum as salam wa rahmatallahi wa barakatahu.
    Assalamu alaykum brother

I find it very hard to believe that imam Bukhari and Muslim made no mistakes while compiling their books, and that their books are 100% sahih. If that is indeed the case, can i ask what made the scholars conclude that all the hadith contained in the sahihain are 100% true.

JazakAllah khair

Banned
    Madhhab
    None

All the marfu' (narrations connected upto Muhammad bin 'abdillah saw) ahadeeth in saheehain are sahih. some scholars like daraqutni rahimahu Allah had pointed out some weak ahadeeth but it had been responded satisfactorily by others.

the mu'alleq narrations are different in their sehat. i think same is the case with mauquf and mursal narrations.

wassalam

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

Quote Originally Posted by Salafi View Post
    All the marfu' (narrations connected upto Muhammad bin 'abdillah saw) ahadeeth in saheehain are sahih. some scholars like daraqutni rahimahu Allah had pointed out some weak ahadeeth but it had been responded satisfactorily by others.

the mu'alleq narrations are different in their sehat. i think same is the case with mauquf and mursal narrations.

wassalam
    Just to clarify, not all marfoo3 narrations are muttasil. Many of them are missing people from their chains (not necessarily in the Saheehayn - I'm speaking generally about terminology here).

In fact, I need to go check my notes, but I'm wondering if ANY marfoo3 narrations are muttasil.

Banned
    Madhhab
    None

Quote Originally Posted by Yahya View Post
    Just to clarify, not all marfoo3 narrations are muttasil. Many of them are missing people from their chains (not necessarily in the Saheehayn - I'm speaking generally about terminology here).

In fact, I need to go check my notes, but I'm wondering if ANY marfoo3 narrations are muttasil.
    if ittesal is not there and the hadeeth is apparently marfu' then it would a ma'lul hadeeth. sometimes the muhadditheen tell this defect in many al 'illal. BUT generally speaking the marfu' ahadeeth are muttasil. you can check.

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

Quote Originally Posted by Salafi View Post
    if ittesal is not there and the hadeeth is apparently marfu' then it would a ma'lul hadeeth. sometimes the muhadditheen tell this defect in many al 'illal. BUT generally speaking the marfu' ahadeeth are muttasil. you can check.
    Not necessarily. If a Sahabi, for example, said that Rasoolullah said something (but he didn't not witness it, nor did he mention who he heard it from) the Hadith is marfoo3, but not muttasil. And it is not considered to be defective either because the Sahabah are all Adl. So the lack of ittisaal at this early point in the chain is not a defect (unless there is reason to believe that this sahabi heard it from a taabi'i).

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Brother Yahya is right. A chain doesn't necessarily has to be Muttasil for the narration to be Marfu`.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

i'v been told by a very reputable local scholar that the great master of hadith ibn Hajar Askalani took out 5 daeef hadith from sahih bukhari nevertheless it is the belief of the ahlul sunnah wal jamaah that these books are the most authentic books after the quran.

And Allah Knows best
    From `Amir ibn Rabi`a: "I saw `Umar pick up a straw from the ground and say: ‘Would that I were this straw! Would that I were nothing! Would that my mother never bore me!’"