Thread: Sahih? Hadith:'Prophet Adam and Hawwa named their son Abdul Harith to please Iblees??

Madhhab
    None

Default Sahih? Hadith:'Prophet Adam and Hawwa named their son Abdul Harith to please Iblees??

Here is the hadith thats perplexed me for quite some time.

On the authority of Ibn `Abbas (ra) it is reported that he said: "When Adam (as ) joined with her, she became pregnant and then Iblees came to her and said: "I am your companion, who caused you to be expelled from Paradise. Obey me, or I will cause your child to grow two horns like a deer by which he will puncture your belly when he comes out! So do it! Do it! Thus he tried to frightened them into naming their child `Abdul Harith, but they did not obey him and a dead child was born to them. When Hawwa` became pregnant a second time, Iblees again approached them and repeated the same demand but again they refused and the child was born dead. She became pregnant a third time and Iblees came to them and made the same demand, reminding them of what had happened before. At this point, they were overcome by love for their (unborn) child and named him `Abdul Harith and this is why Allah , the Almighty, the All-powerful said:

" They ascribed to others a share in that which He had given them" (Qur'an 7:190)

I read that verse and the preceding verses but it doesnt seem to be referring to Prophet Adam and Hawwa (pbut)? in the beginning ofcourse they are mentioned but between that and this verse several other issues are spoken of?? Can someone help me here?

'When i command you about something pertaining to your religion, do accept it for i do not attribute lies to Allah and when I'm expressing my own personal opinion, keep in mind that I am merely human being in this regard.'
    --Prophet Muhammed (p.b.u.h)--from Sahih Muslim--

Madhhab
    Hanbali

Where exactly is the source for the hadith.

Sounds fake.
    And when Imam al-Shafi'i (Rahimullah) reached forty [years of age] he began to walk with a staff, and when questioned about it used to say: "To remind myself that I am a traveller"

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Please check the attached Doc.

You can also read the commentary on this verse by clicking on the following link and going to Pages 118+119 for the tafseer of that verse:

http://www.islamibayanaat.com/Englis...ge-106-167.pdf

That Tafseer is the online version of Mariful Quran by Mufti Shafi Sahib (R.A.).

I would have pasted that paragraph here by I guess you can't save it in word format. It only saves it as an image.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Madhhab
    None

Well I knew the hadeeth was fabricated from the start but thanks brother eteacher for those links they did say the hadeeth was a fabricated Israelite report..i really thought you guys might actually defend the hadeeth! ..1 question though..the above hadeeth was narrated by Hakim and Tirmidhi...reliable sources..why would they narrate such obvious lies??! And why should anyone trust them after this?
    'When i command you about something pertaining to your religion, do accept it for i do not attribute lies to Allah and when I'm expressing my own personal opinion, keep in mind that I am merely human being in this regard.'
    --Prophet Muhammed (p.b.u.h)--from Sahih Muslim--

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Salam alaykum,

If I am wrong someone may correct me, but as far as I knew, the collections of al-Hakim and Tirmidhi (specially al-Hakim) cannot be considered to be correct accross the board. Besides, the authenticity of a narration goes back to its chain, regardless of where the narration is to be found.

Wa Salam.

Mufti
    Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by scents of paradise View Post
    Well I knew the hadeeth was fabricated from the start but thanks brother eteacher for those links they did say the hadeeth was a fabricated Israelite report..i really thought you guys might actually defend the hadeeth! ..1 question though..the above hadeeth was narrated by Hakim and Tirmidhi...reliable sources..why would they narrate such obvious lies??! And why should anyone trust them after this?
    We seem to be adding 2 and 2 and getting 5!

Note the following:

1. There are a number of different narrations concerning this incident. Not all are identical to the one you quoted in your first post.

2- The one you mentioned is an Israeli narration and is baseless, as it infers Shirk on the part of a Prophet

3- The narration in Tirmidhi and Hakim is much shorter and can be easily interpreted in an acceptable manner. All that narration mentions is that Hawa named her child as Abd al-Harith, as she was told to do so, then the child will live. It contains nothing about her knowing that the one telling her was Shaitan, neither does it mention that she knew that Harith was a name of Shaitan.

4- The narration in Hakim and Tirmidhi is weak, not fabricated.

5- Nowhere in the link provided was the narration of Tirmidhi and Hakim classified as fabricated.

6- There is a big difference between non-authentic and fabricated

7- Nearly every book of hadith contains certain narrations that are very weak or fabricated. This does not negate the benefit of the work, all it means is that Ulama who are well-versed in hadith should be consulted before quoting a narration.

And Allah Ta'ala knows best