Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Madinah Arabic books vs. An Nahw al Wadih?

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Madinah Arabic books vs. An Nahw al Wadih?

As salaamu alaykum.

What are the relatives strengths and weaknesses of the 3 volume "Arabic Course for English Speaking Students" (often times refered to simply as the "Madinah Books") and "An Nahw al Wadih" (pardon me if the spelling is incorrect)?

How different are the two courses in their approach? How much do they differ, if at all, with respect to the depth with which they go into?

Which set of books do you believe would be beneficial for one to study with a teacher? More importantly, how about for the self-learner? Would you advise that one study both courses? If so, in what order?

And how much overlap is there between the two?

If some of my more knowledgeable brothers and sisters, both those who have played the role of teacher and learner, could share their thoughts, insights, comments, and opinions, it would be most appreciated.

Jazakallahu Khair.

Wa'salaam.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Assalaamu Alaykum,

Quote Originally Posted by Sunni_Student786 View Post
    As salaamu alaykum.

What are the relatives strengths and weaknesses of the 3 volume "Arabic Course for English Speaking Students" (often times refered to simply as the "Madinah Books") and "An Nahw al Wadih"
    An-Nahw al-Waadih, is better and more systematic, and deeper (primary and secondary) but because it is in arabic, the student has to know a bit of arabic first, to be able to read it.

The Madinah Course though good, has many downsides to it,

Arabic, is quite difficult, even with a teacher.

My personal advice is for a person to study the elementary Sarf and Nahw books, according to the Darse-Nizami system, then books like the Madinah course become a walk in the park.

Which ever system a person uses, learning without a teacher, becomes very time comsuming, and limited progress is made.

The sarf and nahw books with the aid of a teacher, enables a students to learn fast and if the student is an adult, then the books can be completed within a couple months, and thats strecthing it.

Forgive my errrors and excesses.

Was-Salaam,

Suhail Amin

Madhhab
    Hanafi

salam

Nahw ul Wadih is an awesome book, it starts off with basic and then later on in increases on the subject. the last 'volume' is mind blowing, it's goes in depth on nasb, tahdhir, Tasgir. it's very detailed. And it builds on vocab. I don't know much about the Medina books, i had the first volume and i didn't like, but thats my oppinoin.

salam

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Brother Suhail,

If one went through the Madinah books and did a generous dose of supplemental Sarf studying, do you think that one could go ahead and tackle "An Nahw al Wadih"?

And what are some of the major downsides and/or weaknesses of the Madinah course?

And Zubair, thank you for your response as well.

Wa'salaam.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

If one went through the Madinah books and did a generous dose of supplemental Sarf studying, do you think that one could go ahead and tackle "An Nahw al Wadih"?
    Yes, certainly. But would still need a teacher for both.

And what are some of the major downsides and/or weaknesses of the Madinah course?

There are a lot of things that need to be taken into consideration whilst studying arabic.
    For example, How far does the student want to go, based on what the student wants to learn arabic for. If a student wants reach the classical texts, then a teacher is certainly required, otherwise it is mighty difficult, and Fahash errors will be made by the student.

I do understand that sometimes It becomes difficult to get hold of someone to learn from, leaving the student with no choice but to start by himself.

Therefore, The first thing the student should acquire is the elementary knowledge of Sarf according to our system. As Nahw can be acquired from different methods, But if Sarf is not strong, then the nahw of the entire sentence may be understood, but if the particular verb conjugation (Seegah)is not clear, then your in trouble.

So Yes , pay attention to Sarf, at the outset.

In addition, if you can learn something like Nahw meer, and take your elementary Nahw from there, then that will be good.
    This is because the both the sarf and nahw mentioned in the Madinah Course, is completely scattered, throughout the various volumes.

For example the Kaana sisters and the Inna sisters etc, They are not mentioned in one place, rather they are introduced in dribs and drabs through out the lessons of Book 2, etc etc,

Now the reason for that, you might say, is because it offers excercises for each, hence the need to introduce them one at a time.

That's right, But bear in mind If a student has no other exposure to arabic and is learning by himself, then then such a person might understand that such thighs can be grouped and organised syastematicly. Such scatterring may also not be easy for retention even though plenty of excercies are offered.

In the books of grammar like nahw meer, the principle of nahw is mentioned, then one or two examples are mentioned to illustrate the principle, thats where excercises come in. They, not only allow for plenty of practice, but they thereby, drill in the actual principle, so essentially saving the student from having to memorise the principle, In the Madinah Course, some of the excercises are tooo long and tedious, especially for a adult studying it, as after one or two bits of an excercise, the student will find himself saying, "I understand, I get the picture, that's enough" but the excercise just goes on and on.

Which is very good for a youngster, as he would need it to be drilled in, as opposed to the adult.

That's the purpose of the excerices, but the student should understand well, that no matter how many excercises the students does, that still does not necessarily mean that he will be able to read.

Reading comes, only by reading, the student can understand the nahw all he like's, and can do as many excercises he wishes, which is very good, don't get me wrong, but that still doesn't not mean that he will be able to read.

He has to get a good Reader, and apply his Sarf and Nahw on that,
    As that is real time application, then only will he see the fruits of his sarf and Nahw.

The best reader in that regard is "Qasas An-Nabiyyeen" of Maulana Abul Hasan Ali Nadwi R.A.,
    Works wonders with the elementary students and they also love it. Mashallah.

Also with the Madinah Course, the unauthordox way of teaching Sarf, every aspect of it, that it touches upon, is really annoying,-my opinion.

Also if you look, most of the lessons are in a dialogue format, as you will be aware, hence most suitable to be taught in an arabic environment, if not then at least taught interarctively among several students, that brings out the practical and speaking aspect it, and that's how it was designed, -a hands on approach to arabic language.

So if is not used as such, and instead is used purely as grammar text, for which it was not designed, then you can understand what the results would be.

To summarise, It's not the content of the Madinah Course I have a problem with, thats fine, It the manner and style with which It is presented, that's what I dislike.

I myself did not bother with it much, But some of my students were keen to study it, in addition, so I started it for them.
    As I had already taught them Sarf and Nahw-elementary, they flew through book 1 in five sessions.

Don't forget that the engliish guide key, at the back of the book, now incorporarted in the text-I think! Can be a bit unclear to understand without the help of a teacher, for example in Book 2 right at the begining, mention is made of Jumlah Ismiyyah etc. such mention is no where to be found in book 1, even though the student has read a few such Jumlah's in book one, hence the student with out a teacher might be baffled by it, especially if that is his main focus text,

Therefore my advice is not give it too much concern, yes, certainly benefit from it, especially if the student is studying on his own, as he may not have much else appropriate in the english language, not until now that is, especially with the release of "Arbi Ka Muallim", published and available under the title "Arabic Tutor" published by Daarul Ishaat, The first three volumes are available in Pakistan, not sure whether it is available in the west yet. but there's no need to make the Madinah Course a Base text. It is such that it can be done on sidelines by a student having learnt sarf and nahw properly.

Hence from this, the superiority of An-Nahw al-Waadih in relation to it is clear,

Hence my suggestion is to acquire sarf and nahw along with a reading application, like that of of Qasas..." at least.

The other option is, a teacher- then hand yourself over to him and let him guide you.

Excuse the errors and excesses

Was-Salaam,

Suhail Amin

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Jazakallahu Khair for the detailed response brother Suhail.

May Allah reward you.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Assalaamu Alaykum,

Baarakallaahu Feek,

Requesting your duas.

Was-Salaam,

Madhhab
    Shi'ite

so is Nahw Meer any good for a beginner?

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by seyedone View Post
    so is Nahw Meer any good for a beginner?
    Yes. it is for the beginner.

Last edited by _Suhail_; 09-11-2007 at 07:06 PM.

Mufti
    Madhhab
    Hanafi

Another useful aid to learn Arabic is Lisanul Quran. The first two volumes have been translated in English along with the reader. The third volume is not out yet. The compilers write in the introduction that they have mostly taken from An-Nahw Al-Wadih. There are a lot of exercises. My friend taught this book and highly recommended it.

Tariqa Asriyiah has also been translated into English by a South African Darul Uloom. The Urdu-Arabic version is taught in many Darul Ulooms in Pakistan. It is in five volumes. Mufti Taqi writes in Hamaraa Talimi Nizam that Arabic teachers should use Tariqa Asriya and the Arabic tutor as an aid for exercises.