Thread: Threading eyebrows?

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Threading eyebrows?

assalam o alikum.i have a real big confusion on whether we can have our eyebrows threaded? i have heard we cannot.my family gets real irritated by such matters and says im just overwhelming myself with useless stuff.but i think these small matters are equally important.please guide

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Re: Threading eyebrows?

Wa'alaikumsalam,
    There is a difference of opinion amongst scholars, as how much is permissable. From Ask-imam.org ... and:

Is it allowed to make eyebrows 4 husband with husband permission???
    is it farz on me to pay my zakat if my husband doesn't pay my zakat???

Answer

In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Assalaamu `alaykum waRahmatullahi Wabarakatoh

1. It is prohibited for a female to shape her eyebrows even for her husband. Rasulullah (SAW) cursed those women who shape their eyebrows. (Bukhari)
    2. If zakat is due on you, you will be responsible to pay zakat. You husband may pay your zakat with your consent. If he does not do so, you will be responsible to pay your zakat.

And Allah knows best

Wassalam

Mufti Ebrahim Desai
    Darul Iftaa, Madrassah In'aamiyyah

and:

Question
    Growing up as a young girl I was raised to know that it is haram to shape or pluck your eyebrows. However,plucking eyebrows seems to be a common practice amongst many muslim ladies and I was recently told that plucking your eyebrows is allowed as long as you do not remove a single line of hair. Does this mean one can remove stray and untidy hairs to neaten the eyebrows?

Answer
    In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Assalaamu `alaykum waRahmatullahi Wabarakatoh

It is prohibited to shape eyebrows by plucking them or shaving them. At most, one may only remove the stray strands of the eyebrows.

And Allah knows best

Wassalam

Mufti Ebrahim Desai
    Darul Iftaa, Madrassah In'aamiyyah
    (threading is similar to plucking)

from sunnipath:

In the Name of Allah, Most Merciful & Compassionate

From a previous question answered by Shaykh Abdurrahman ibn Yusuf:

Taking the hadith and the various statements of the Hanafi jurists into consideration the following could be concluded:

1. It would be permitted for a woman to remove a beard or a moustache that appears on her face. Even though it is facial hair, but since it is to stop women from resembling men, it is permitted. This is the opinion of the majority of scholars, in fact they have said it is recommended, not just permitted. The same will be to bleach this hair instead.

2. If the eyebrows are linked in between, it would be permissible to remove the excess hair from in between to separate them [i.e. the hair above the nose]. The reason for this is that linked eyebrows are looked upon as a defect, hence it would be permissible to remove it.

3. A 'few' stray hairs around the eyebrows would be permissible to remove by clipping them off, if it looks defective, or for married women creates abhorrence in their husband. This does not mean it is permitted to remove a whole line or two of fine hair from around the eyebrows [as is the case nowadays].

4. Dense bushy eyebrows may be trimmed down to a more normal size. However, one must exercise great caution in this regard, since one does not want it to fall under the warning of the hadith. If one is not sure how to determine the normal size they should not act on the benefit of the doubt, but rather follow the more cautionary approach and trim less. What so called 'regular' [especially non-Muslim] people consider nowadays as the norm i.e. eyebrows that are shaped in particular unnatural or reduced to thin lines can not be considered as acceptable in Islamic law due to the severity of the hadith.

5. Great caution has to be exercised in this regard, since the hadith is very strict and there are some Hanafi scholars who have taken more strict position. For instance, Mullah Ali al-Qari (Allah be pleased with him) comments [relating from Imam Nawawi] that plucking of the facial hair is haram (unlawful) for a woman with the exception of moustache or beard hairs (Mirqat al-Mafatih 8:218). The concessions mentioned above are for the removal of a defective appearance and not for purely beautification purpose, hence, caution in this matters is the way.

Wassalam,

SunniPath Fiqh Team

Madhhab
    Hanafi

I've heard the opposite, that a woman may ONLY for her husband AND ONLY if she covers her face appropriately so that the only person who can see her is her husband. This doesn't necessarily always mean niqaab but also if a woman covers the top of her hijab in such a way that it covers the edges of the eyebrows.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Assalamu 'alaikuma

It is my humble opinion that we should stick to the strict interpretation of this hadith. I say this because even though it may seem like a petty issue, it is not merely a sin but Allah has cursed both the woman who removes hairs from her eyebrows and the woman who removes hairs from another's eyebrows.

Personally, I think that alot of women just want to find excuses and they ask different scholars until they get the answer they want.

Allah has perfected our deen, and even though some things may be hard for us to accept or practice, we should make dua for ALlah to make it easy for us InshaAllah. Sister, I will make dua for Allah to make it easy for you InshaAllah. I know its difficult because i used to pluck my eyebrows when I was younger and when I realized the gravity of the hadith, I stopped doing it completely and alhamdulillah, Allah has made it easy for me, and now I dont even worry about it.

We should not worry about what people would think of us, just know in your heart that you are doing this for the deen that you love. Dont risk being cursed by ALlah!

and Allah knows best.
    Salams

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by TriniMuslim View Post
    Assalamu 'alaikuma

.Personally, I think that alot of women just want to find excuses and they ask different scholars until they get the answer they want.

We should not worry about what people would think of us, just know in your heart that you are doing this for the deen that you love. Dont risk being cursed by ALlah!

and Allah knows best.
    Salams
    Agreed 100% ukti!! We try to justify our reasons when we know we are wrong,trying to make something lawful which is unlawful...... If you take the advice from one shcholar it's best to stick to his advises... Allah knows best

Madhhab
    Hanafi

I'm not one of those who pluck. or thread in anyway I'm just telling you what Ive heard.