Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Polish Muslims

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Polish Muslims

Assalaam alikum,

I am interested to meet any Polish Muslims out there. I am myself a Polish revert. I am currently trying to collate stories of Polish Muslim reverts to put up on my blog.

my blog is:
    http://polishmuslim.wordpress.com/

This will Inshallah help any Polish people interested in Islam, reason being there are specific cultral issues, often different to people of other backgrounds (i.e. dealing with Polish traditions etc).

Jazak Allah
    Last edited by elixa; 22-01-2008 at 04:54 PM.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Re: Polish Muslims

Masha Allah,

We even have Polish Muslims on Sunni Forum.

Sister, I think you're the first and probably the only Polish Muslim on SF so I think you'll have to wait a bit.

Btw...how did you find out about SF?

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Well dont mind waiting as although there isnt many Polish Muslim reverts compared to say Australian Muslim converts, it is slowly increasing in numbers and have come across a couple people so far.

so if no one responds i dont mind, just felt will put a post up incase there is. I know how hard it can be when you convert and strong family cultural traditions and family is very hard to deal with, particular as 99.5% of Polish people are Catholic, so there isnt much interfaith influences or dialogues in that country of other religons.

I came across this forum from a link in Muslim Village where i occassionally place posts there.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Maashallah sister

if u have any problem with reverts or people accepting islam
    plz let me know, i have some addresses from poland of people working for islam

Madhhab
    Maliki

Quote Originally Posted by elixa View Post
    Well dont mind waiting as although there isnt many Polish Muslim reverts compared to say Australian Muslim converts, it is slowly increasing in numbers and have come across a couple people so far.

so if no one responds i dont mind, just felt will put a post up incase there is. I know how hard it can be when you convert and strong family cultural traditions and family is very hard to deal with, particular as 99.5% of Polish people are Catholic, so there isnt much interfaith influences or dialogues in that country of other religons.

I came across this forum from a link in Muslim Village where i occassionally place posts there.

I intend to ask some of the Polish that I know if they are aware of any converts in their community.

Could you give some advice on approaches one could take in giving da`wa to Polish people?

with peace

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Salam,

With the Polish community, i catergorize them generally into two groups.

The first lot is the older generation, very challenging generally to do dawah with in my experience, very set in their beliefs and ways, sometimes even a little racist.

I will use a personal example, my own family and their friends. The older generation such as my mum, is very against Muslims and Islam in general (due to media, things like London bombing, Sept 11, bali situation etc). She said to me not only she will never accept me being Muslim, she beleives that i should be a Catholic for traditional purposes, that majority of Polish people are Catholic, so should I, and also that all her family is Catholic, i am a traitor for leaving this religon. She believes that if your born into a religon, you should not change it. We also deal with some racist issues (am sorry to say this and careful how to word it). Truthfully racism is everywhere and all cultures, races and countries. What many her friends attacked was my husband skin color (tan olive skin), saying to her "how could u let your daughter marry a non white". So i have noticed that they do look down on Muslims or people just of completely different cultures and races. She also told me she cares and worries about what others think (friends, family, neighbours) and is ashamed of me as they would all be talking about me and that i am brainwashed etc. We have tried doing dawah with my mother for few years now and telling her what Islam is (as in, not what the media or others tell her it is) but its been to no avail, because whatever i say, next day something in the news or media will just wipe away our good efforts.

Now they all attend Polish church each Sunday and i think mum mentioned how once they spoke against Muslims in one of the masses. She also said i cant go to Poland wearing a scarf and that if i did, people would laugh at me, point fingers or just give me nasty looks, she said she would be to embarrsed to be seen with me if i wore scarf in Poland (i.e. if we went there for holiday).

As for the new generation, people under age of 35 in my family, they don't care about my reversion to Islam, they have all seen me in scarf and didnt mind, they respect my decision and never speak against it. They are very open minded. This is the group that you will find people embracing Islam. So far i know... 4-5 Polish people who embraced Islam and all are in this age category, actually majority embraced Islam around when they were 19 or 20 years old. Also in this generation mixed race marriage is increasing.

Of course there are exceptions, one of my friends who converted, her mother has been really good and accepting her decision (she lives in Poland).

I personally feel that alot of dawah is needed. With the older generation they need to see that Muslims are normal people, and not what the media trys to portray them as. The younger generation is just like any other, there will be many people interested in Islam (or finding out about different religons) and a few will embrace Islam. We have personally done a shahada with one Polish man, who after getting over all the misconceptions of Islam was happy to embrace it.

It wil help if you are smiling, easy going and have some humour. This is what my mother keeps critzing, how when she smiles at Muslim women before they never smile back (now she refuses to smile and will just stare at them). This helps break the ice, which is the first step in doing some dawah. Eventually they might ask you some questions, which of course always leads to more questions. Even if they don't ask questions, believe me, it helps so much if you just show a good example of a Muslim, and that you are just a normal person...as is...not some violent, aggressive, about-to-explode person Astagrfuillah...sorry for extreme example, but mum keeps saying how now when she sees Muslims...she is bit scared of them, that what will they do and are they putting people in danger

please feel free to ask more questions or make comments

Madhhab
    Hanafi

sister Masha'Allah may Allah keep you steadfast on Islam.
    can you tell me if there any translations of Quran in the polish language.
    i work with many young polish people and one i work with said he is willing to learn more about Islam but hes english is not that very good so it is hard communicating with him.
    would you think it is a good idea to give him quran in polish?
    Verily, Allah and His angels shower blessings on the Prophet. O Believers! send blessings upon him and salute him with a worthy salutation". (Qur'aan - 33:56)

http://www.sabeel-travels.co.uk/

Banned
    Madhhab
    Hanafi

Question History of Islam in Poland?

Asslamo Allaikum,

Welcome Sister...

But I was wodnering about Islam in Poland since it is close to lands occupied by Ottomans?

Are there practising Muslim in poland itself?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_Poland

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Suliman View Post
    sister Masha'Allah may Allah keep you steadfast on Islam.
    can you tell me if there any translations of Quran in the polish language.
    i work with many young polish people and one i work with said he is willing to learn more about Islam but hes english is not that very good so it is hard communicating with him.
    would you think it is a good idea to give him quran in polish?
    Salaams,

I just received an emails stating from a very kind person, they have free Islamic literature, including translation in Polish, this is a great way to start.

CIM_SOCIETY@YAHOO.COM

( you will find all our books and languages list at the end of message )

We hope that the books will reach you within one Month or two at least Insha'Allah.
    Conveying Islamic Message Society (CIMS)

P.O. Box 834 – Alexandria – Egypt

They have booklets on Islam translated in many languages (German, French, Russian, Asian languages etc), and its all free and posted to your house. If you give me your email address, i can forward you the complete email, otherwise contact them on the email address above.

Polish translation Quran online from this website (maybe print out Surah Al-Fatiha and surah on Maryam)

http://www.theholyquran.org/?x=s_main&kid=25

There is a copy of Quran in Polish, translated by Józef Bielawski, this is what my Polish convert friend reads and says its fine. Well i personally dont give Quran straight away unless you feel he is ready for it. Here is the link: http://www.planetaislam.com/koran_bielawski.html

To get a hard copy of this Quran, i would have to ask my friend where to get one from.

A website that is in Polish about Islam is: http://www.planetaislam.com/

If there is a specific topic you require, cuz I cant read Polish (I only speak the language), I will ask her where it is found.

Jesus in Islam, Polish translation: http://www.planetaislam.com/jezus/jezus.html

Status of Women in Islam: http://www.planetaislam.com/kobiety/statuskobiety.html

Concept of God in Islam: http://www.planetaislam.com/wiara/allah.html

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Re: History of Islam in Poland?

Quote Originally Posted by Muadh_Khan View Post
    Asslamo Allaikum,

Welcome Sister...

But I was wodnering about Islam in Poland since it is close to lands occupied by Ottomans?

Are there practising Muslim in poland itself?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_Poland
    Poland has a interesting history of Tatar Muslims who are still there to this day. The mosques are well preserved and protected by Polish government. I have this up on my website, which includes by the author information (very interesting) about Tatar Muslims: visit:
    http://polishmuslim.wordpress.com/mosques-in-polands/

What i have been told is, some Tatar do practice Islam till today , but many have assimalated into society and lost their ways, as in,not practicing Muslims.

In Poland, i think there is only one halal butcher which is in Warsaw.

Muslim immigrants is slowly starting to increase in Poland as well as a few overseas students coming to study there. Also the number of Polish people converting to Islam (mainly its younger generation) is increasing as compared to several years back, like 15-20 years ago it was unheard off. Mixed marriages are starting to form (it was pretty unheard of in my parents generation, usually it was looked down on). This means that exposure to Muslims in increasing. Its pretty much like anywhere else, some Muslims are practicing, some are not.

I personally feel to practice Islam in Poland is extra hard compared to the country i am in, Australia, where you have support of other Muslims, converts, Islamic organisations, mosques, halal meat butcher and restuarnts, Islamic schools, living in a multi-cultural society where government allows such things mentioned etc. In Poland, i am awed by people who revert to Islam, espcially on their own terms (i.e. not for marriage) as Subhan Allah, those people have so little support but still manage to seek and find the truth. I guess the internet has been helpful in people accessing information.