I have a few questions regarding the policies listed in the brochure:
It says regarding the dresscode:
Kurtaas (not kafnies) with slits, below the knees;
Izaars above the ankles;
No red scarves allowed in the Madrasah.
All clothing in plain white material.
Beards according to Shari’ah.
1) What is a Kafnie? Does that mean that students are not allowed to wear arab-style thobes that do not have slits?
2) No hair?!?!? what does that mean exactly? Must the students shave their heads? why?
Furthermore, regarding the in'aam, it says: Students with the best performance, those gaining distinctions, those having best attendance, character, those being most punctual on ma’mulaat, those who are most neat, etc. will be given in’aam at the end of the year.
3) Just curious, what kind of prizes does this mean?
4) Regarding boarding, how much is the cost of darul iqamah usually?
Regarding examinations, it says: Students may not miss any examination without a valid reason. Failure to write any examination without a valid reason will be regarded as a serious offence whereupon the student may be suspended or other disciplinary action taken. Any student who failed to participate in any examination for whatever reason must write supplementary examinations. Copying during the examinations or using any other fraudulent means is a serious and punishable offence.
5) What's the deal with these examinations. Why would anyone miss their examinations after having worked hard all year? Are they optional? It seems like a different concept of examinations than in western colleges...
Regarding what to bring with you to the madrasa: Bedding – Mattress, sleeping bag, blankets, pillow, 2 pillowcases, 2 bed-sheets and 2 bed-spreads
6) Wait, so students have to bring their own mattresses? Isn't that kind of difficult, and possibly chaotic?