Thread: Islamic Cartoons for Kids

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Islamic Cartoons for Kids

Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh:
    Brothers/Sisters

Can someone advice me on some good islamic cartoons for kids of all ages,
    cartoons that educate etc ??.

Am trying to stop my 2 yr old son from watching t.v., Alhamdulillah it's working
    so far.

but as you know, keeping a 2yr old in one place is HARD.

i taught i can use some islamic cartoons to keep him still whilst learning about islam..

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Re: Islamic Cartoons for Kids

Wa alaykum salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

[begin nagging ]

Whilst I understand that many parents out there want to provide 'islamic' versions of children's entertainment, so as to be a form of learning as well as enjoyment, in regards to TV/ videos etc, no matter how much you 'islamicise' it, I personally do not believe it can ever be beneficial to a young child.

The question that concerns me mostly, is not the content, but the form in which the child is recieving this information. For a 2 year old to sit and watch TV...especially cartoons is IMO brain damaging your child. Cartoons are made up of extremely bright colours, fast paced movement and so on...this is far from the reality we live in with duller colours and slower movements. Most children under the age of 5 or 6 cannot even follow an entire cartoon programme all the way through because it is so fast paced they lose sight of the story in all the colour and music provided.

It also means your child is being a passive reciever...for however long you place him in front of the box...10 minutes, 20, 1 hour. Most cartoons nowadays are minimum 30 minutes long (ridiculous!). This means 30 minutes of your child staring at a screen that emits a light which is damaging to the eye. 30 minutes of their eyeball being static, not moving. 30 minutes of reduced blinking, causing dryness which in turn causes him to rub his eyes...which in turn causes scratches on the eyeball! And at the end of the 30 minutes...your little child won't have actually have learnt anything, apart that they will want to watch it again because it is so addictive!

Human/ human interaction is SO important for children...especially at the impressionable age of 2. Children naturally and instinctively learn and copy at this age from their parent. They learn language from you, they learn to copy actions and motions, they learn mannerisms. I recall reading an artcile which discussed TV and language and the conclusion was that children actually learn no language/ speaking skills from TV at all. You can put on a Baby Einstein video, or a Mensa programme or whatever, but nothing is going to help your child more than you, as the parent and human being, can.

There was a recent thread here on ADHD the links to TV etc, it was quite interesting...I shall try and find the link for you.

[end nagging ]

I think we are in an age of so much saturated technology that even we as parents get caught up in trying to keep up and provide our children with forms of entertainment and learning in the most modern forms. All of us do this, even me, in a way its so hard to avoid and go againt the grain that this society is heading towards. What I do is try to think back to my own childhood (you know when milk was delivered to your door in glass bottles on a milk float and you could leave your front door open lol ) and think of how we entertained ourselves, what did we have to aid our learning, how did I learn that I could do a certain thing and not another...because it sure wasn't TV. Old ideas maybe, but maybe also the best ideas?
    ‘Good and evil can never be equal. Repel (evil) with that which is better, and see how, then, someone between whom and you was enmity shall become a true friend. Yet none is given such goodness except those who are patient; none is given this but the most fortunate.’

(al-Fussilat 41: 34-5)

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Here is the link, some excellent input from parents who are speaking from experience: http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31092
    ‘Good and evil can never be equal. Repel (evil) with that which is better, and see how, then, someone between whom and you was enmity shall become a true friend. Yet none is given such goodness except those who are patient; none is given this but the most fortunate.’

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Oh dear!!

Right, ADHD has nothing to do with watching TV. Perhaps women need more education than just sheer make believe stories.

Scratching eyes, watching colours ?

any scientific proof ? (Not just something we invented in our heads)

Madhhab
    Hanafi

And perhaps brothers need to have a little more manners when trying to debate or make a point (although what that point is I do not know because anyone can make a snide comment from the bystands, without actually contributing to the discussion at all)

What, oh one who obviously seems to have all the education and scientific proof, is the cause or the problems associated with ADHD? What does the condition consist of? Why has this condition only become a problem with children in the last decade or so?

And you seem to be quite educated on optometry as well I see? What is the cause of scratches on the lens of the eye? What causes dryness of the eye? Is it a fact that when looking at TV/ PC screens the eye blinks less? Is brain activity greatly reduced? Is there any active learning taking place? What does science say about the light that is emitted from TV/ PC screens?

Can watching TV ever be beneficial or healthy for a 2 year old and if you believe so, then explain why. That is, if you wish to have a positive discussion and not a slanging match.

Madhhab
    None

Quote Originally Posted by ze leetle elper View Post
    And perhaps brothers need to have a little more manners when trying to debate or make a point (although what that point is I do not know because anyone can make a snide comment from the bystands, without actually contributing to the discussion at all)

What, oh one who obviously seems to have all the education and scientific proof, is the cause or the problems associated with ADHD? What does the condition consist of? Why has this condition only become a problem with children in the last decade or so?

And you seem to be quite educated on optometry as well I see? What is the cause of scratches on the lens of the eye? What causes dryness of the eye? Is it a fact that when looking at TV/ PC screens the eye blinks less? Is brain activity greatly reduced? Is there any active learning taking place? What does science say about the light that is emitted from TV/ PC screens?

Can watching TV ever be beneficial or healthy for a 2 year old and if you believe so, then explain why. That is, if you wish to have a positive discussion and not a slanging match.
    Bravo sister bravo, I don't even need to add anything, you've said a mouthful and them some...Insha'Allah you will keep it up.

Salam Alaikum
    And the Firmament has He raised high, and He has set up the Balance (of Justice), In order that ye may not transgress (due) balance. So establish weight with justice and fall not short in the balance.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Originally Posted by ze leetle elper View Post

Madhhab
    Hanafi

been busy with work (not hunting muslimahs - JOKE !), but from what I recall from the top of my head ADHD is inherited and so there is no specific onset age. It only gets passed down genes from parents to children. I think it is a but like Huntingdon's, anyone can correct this.

ADHD, obviously attention deficit, so it makes children restless and can onset at any age. I haven't seen any studies linking ADHD to watching TV. It may be ongoing reseach or speculation.

It may have become prevalent in chidren more recently due to society in general not just the watching of TV and video games. Im not really qualified to say, but im sure someone may be. Life for children has become more stressful, it may be that...

scratches on eyes can come about from rubbing as well. Dryness of eyes obviously less blinking, etc....

In 2 year olds watching TV in the dark or too close will result in this sort of thing, although it doesn't just happen overnight. This is like watching TV regulary from close range. Watching TV for short periods wont make a massive difference I wouldnt have thought.

I dont have kids, but I when I babysit my little cousins I let them watch some TV. Its only natural as when they go to nursery then they may feel left out if they don't know what a smelly tubby is. I think it's about getting the right balance.

More reading available on google search by typing 'effects of ADHD on children', some good stuff by optometrist Andrew Hogan.

Also in science journals like science direct.

ill post ref's if needed, but thats about what I remember reading.

Last edited by al_islam; 24-07-2008 at 09:37 PM.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Smile Re: Islamic Cartoons for Kids

Assalam o allaikum

most of the discussion above iz from scintific point of view, however, i would share my personal experience.

I would say that the cartoons are neither good for 10 or 2 year kids. I ve seen my brother growing up watching a lot of cartoons and he was kind of wild esp in his teens. I agree with the 1z who say that cartoons give a bad impact on childrens mind in their growing age and that lasts for very long.

talking of islamic cartoons, we must use better ways to giving islamic teachings to r kids, and there are plenty of em. and there is no match giving our prime time to our children for their entertainment annd learning.

My Allah guide us, all.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Assalamualaikum wa Rahmatullah,

IMO science and medicine is in it's own place regarding ADHD, or scratched up eyeballs... But Islamically (and more importantly)TV is just bad for your heart, as well as your eyes, brother.

What are we teaching our children by letting them watch TV? It'll just become a really bad habit.. today they will be watching mere innocent cartoons, and tommorrow they will be watching haram shows/movies.

Tv is tv... and I believe its just bad for our hearts and a waste of time.

Pls forgive me if I have offended anyone..