Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 44

Thread: Use of Inhalers during Fasting (Hanafi Madhab)

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Gender
    Brother
    Madhhab
    Hanafi
    Posts
    9,537

    Question Use of Inhalers during Fasting (Hanafi Madhab)

    Asslamo Allaikum,

    Is there any dispensation for using Inhalers for Asthmatics during Ramadhan?

    1) Modern Inhalers contain gases which go into the respiratory tract and not the digestive tract. Most previous Fatwaas are over 50 years old and based on old Inahlers.

    2) Some Ulama use the analogy of cigarettes (smoke entering the throat etc.) but is that a correct analogy to apply to Inhalers?

    3) I have heard that Shaykh Abu Yusuf Riyadhul-Haq permits it but not sure???

    Jazakullah Khairun


  2. #2
    Mufti
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Gender
    Brother
    Madhhab
    Hanafi
    Posts
    2,465

    Default Re: Use of Inhalers during Fasting (Hanafi Madhab)

    Quote Originally Posted by Muadh_Khan View Post
    Asslamo Allaikum,

    Is there any dispensation for using Inhalers for Asthmatics during Ramadhan?

    1) Modern Inhalers contain gases which go into the respiratory tract and not the digestive tract. Most previous Fatwaas are over 50 years old and based on old Inahlers.

    2) Some Ulama use the analogy of cigarettes (smoke entering the throat etc.) but is that a correct analogy to apply to Inhalers?
    :ws

    Doesn't smoke that is inhaled also go into the respiratory tract and not the digestive one?
    If yes, then what would be the difference between smoke and the inhaler?
    Sahabah رضي الله عنهم would cling fast to the Sunnah, on account of it being Sunnah, while we discard the Sunnah, on account of it being (just) Sunnah!

    Formerly "soofi_saheb"


  3. #3
    Senior Member loveProphet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Gender
    Brother
    Madhhab
    Hanafi
    Location
    In love with Allah
    Posts
    3,461

    Default Re: Use of Inhalers during Fasting (Hanafi Madhab)



    I'm asthmatic(pretty bad) but i've been told that i can't use it when fasting so i often take it before starting my fast or Maghrib.
    Although at times it's too bad so i can't fast.


  4. #4
    Senior Member hafs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Gender
    Sister
    Madhhab
    Hanafi
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    331

    Default Re: Use of Inhalers during Fasting (Hanafi Madhab)

    I'm asthmatic(pretty bad) but i've been told that i can't use it when fasting so i often take it before starting my fast or Maghrib.
    Although at times it's too bad so i can't fast.

    I real don't understand why muslims don't use blackseed oil .
    Brother loveProphet , your asthma would probably be cured if you used it regularly .
    I have alot of experience with asthma since I had a severely asthmatic child who was continously in and out of hospitals .That was until I started giving him a 1/2 tspn of blackseed oil 3x a day mixed with a tspn of honey .But try and find a pure blackseed oil , the one's i've seen are not pure .Blackseed oil should have a similar feel to blackpepper on your tongue if it's pure .
    Failing that grind some blackseeds mix with honey .Keep the mix in the fridge a tspn 3x daily.
    If your asthma is worst inhale a drop of blackseed oil in each nostril and mix some blackseed oil with either tiger oil or eucalyptus oil and rub around your nose and chest .It worked for my son and he was an extreme case and mashaAllah he was taken off all doc meds .


  5. #5
    Senior Member loveProphet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Gender
    Brother
    Madhhab
    Hanafi
    Location
    In love with Allah
    Posts
    3,461

    Default Re: Use of Inhalers during Fasting (Hanafi Madhab)

    Quote Originally Posted by hafs View Post

    I real don't understand why muslims don't use blackseed oil .
    Brother loveProphet , your asthma would probably be cured if you used it regularly .
    I have alot of experience with asthma since I had a severely asthmatic child who was continously in and out of hospitals .That was until I started giving him a 1/2 tspn of blackseed oil 3x a day mixed with a tspn of honey .But try and find a pure blackseed oil , the one's i've seen are not pure .Blackseed oil should have a similar feel to blackpepper on your tongue if it's pure .
    Failing that grind some blackseeds mix with honey .Keep the mix in the fridge a tspn 3x daily.
    If your asthma is worst inhale a drop of blackseed oil in each nostril and mix some blackseed oil with either tiger oil or eucalyptus oil and rub around your nose and chest .It worked for my son and he was an extreme case and mashaAllah he was taken off all doc meds .


    i might try that.
    My asthma had practically stopped about 2-3 years ago(i've though had it for a long time) but due to the pollen this year, it experienced a revival and it's gone bad again.


  6. #6
    Senior Member hafs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Gender
    Sister
    Madhhab
    Hanafi
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    331

    Default Re: Use of Inhalers during Fasting (Hanafi Madhab)

    Brother try the oil and local honey .I've heard hayfever symptoms can be completely cured by eating local honey .
    That's because the (local) pollen which causes the allergic reaction can be counteracted by the honey made (i'm assuming) from the same flowers etc.

    May Allah swt give you shifa.


  7. #7
    Senior Member loveProphet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Gender
    Brother
    Madhhab
    Hanafi
    Location
    In love with Allah
    Posts
    3,461

    Default Re: Use of Inhalers during Fasting (Hanafi Madhab)

    Quote Originally Posted by hafs View Post
    Brother try the oil and local honey .I've heard hayfever symptoms can be completely cured by eating local honey .
    That's because the (local) pollen which causes the allergic reaction can be counteracted by the honey made (i'm assuming) from the same flowers etc.

    May Allah swt give you shifa.

    I haven't used black seed oil(it's not in my memory) but have had olive oil and honey but they never worked for my asthma.


  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    Brother
    Madhhab
    None
    Posts
    76

    Default Re: Use of Inhalers during Fasting (Hanafi Madhab)

    On what basis does inhaling something break one's fast? Arabs traditionally use incense (both gaseous and solid forms) to cure throat diseases, is there evidence of this being prohibited in the sunnah during fasting? If not, how would this differ from using an inhaler? What if one were to inhale the contents of the inhaler into the nose and not the mouth? What about if you light a fire during Ramadan and inhale smoke, is one's fast broken? I would appreciate evidence that inhalation breaks one's fast.
    Last edited by Oscar-Mike; 30-08-2008 at 05:25 PM.


  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    Brother
    Madhhab
    None
    Posts
    76

    Default Re: Use of Inhalers during Fasting (Hanafi Madhab)

    I always think of it like this hadith:

    Narrated An-Nu'man bin Bashir: I heard Allah's Apostle saying, 'Both legal and illegal things are evident but in between them there are doubtful (suspicious) things and most of the people have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from these suspicious things saves his religion and his honor. And whoever indulges in these suspicious things is like a shepherd who grazes (his animals) near the hima (private pasture) of someone else and at any moment he is liable to get in it. (O people!) Beware! Every king has a hima and the hima of Allah on the earth is His illegal (forbidden) things. Beware! There is a piece of flesh in the body if it becomes good (reformed) the whole body becomes good but if it gets spoilt the whole body gets spoilt and that is the heart. Sahih Bukhari Book #2, Hadith #49

    The halal and the haram are explicitly clear, it is haram to eat food and consume liquids while you are fasting, but between these things are doubtful situations. If you stay away from doubt, then you safeguard your heart and the purity of your deen, if you don't, then you are close to corrupting your heart. This hadith has a lot of wisdom. I don't think matters like this can be legalized per se, but maybe the spirit of fasting just kept in mind. And with this in mind, I can't see how using an inhaler, in contrast to smoking, could transgress the spirit of fasting.


  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Gender
    Brother
    Madhhab
    Hanafi
    Posts
    9,537

    Default Re: Use of Inhalers during Fasting (Hanafi Madhab)

    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar-Mike View Post
    On what basis does inhaling something break one's fast? Arabs traditionally use incense (both gaseous and solid forms) to cure throat diseases, is there evidence of this being prohibited in the sunnah during fasting? If not, how would this differ from using an inhaler? What if one were to inhale the contents of the inhaler into the nose and not the mouth? What about if you light a fire during Ramadan and inhale smoke, is one's fast broken? I would appreciate evidence that inhalation breaks one's fast.

    So on the basis of your argument smoking doesn't invalidate the fast? Lets set the premise and then we will start the detailed discussion.


Similar Threads

  1. New to the Hanafi Madhab
    By namar13 in forum Unresolved Questions
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 09-12-2011, 01:39 AM
  2. Why the Hanafi madhab?
    By kite runner in forum Unresolved Questions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 20-10-2010, 12:57 PM
  3. Voluntary Fasting in Shafii Madhab
    By SA7 in forum General Islam
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-12-2009, 07:46 AM
  4. Fasting according to Hanbali Madhab
    By Al-Kurdi in forum Ramadhan
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20-08-2009, 02:25 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-09-2008, 01:59 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •