Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 71

Thread: T-shirts- Are we allowed to perform Salat in them?

  1. #11
    Senior Member ENIGMA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Gender
    Brother
    Madhhab
    Hanafi
    Posts
    5,892

    Default Re: T-shirts

    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammad Ali Munir View Post

    The sunnah is, you don't "fold" the full sleeves to make them "half-sleeves". However, if the shirt is actually half-sleeve, then it is permissible to wear them.




    .

    Not disagreeing with you. I was trying to make the same point, but sort of went about it the long way round.
    Storms brewing.......................


  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Gender
    Brother
    Madhhab
    Hanafi
    Posts
    30

    Default Re: T-shirts

    The reason it is considered makrooh by the South Asian Scholars is because they believe it is considered "dis-respectful" clothing.

    But that just fall under the matter of opinion, A t-shirt still covers a mans satar. The hanafi scholars in the middle east have no problem with half sleeves.


  3. #13
    Senior Member Abu_Bilal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Gender
    Brother
    Madhhab
    Hanafi
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    1,101

    Default Re: T-shirts

    Quote Originally Posted by dude001 View Post
    The reason it is considered makrooh by the South Asian Scholars is because they believe it is considered "dis-respectful" clothing.

    But that just fall under the matter of opinion, A t-shirt still covers a mans satar. The hanafi scholars in the middle east have no problem with half sleeves.
    Yeah, some call it "dis-respectful", some call it "khilaf-e-sunnah".


  4. #14
    Mufti
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Gender
    Brother
    Madhhab
    Hanafi
    Posts
    2,465

    Default Re: T-shirts



    There are two issues here:

    1. Leaving the elbows/arms uncovered
    2. Wearing clothing that one would not go out with in public.

    As for the first, I have yet to come across a statement in any of the Hanafi books of fiqh, stating this to be Makruh. I have searched in detail, have asked numerous Muftis, but no one has been able to produce one such ruling from the reliable books of the madhab.

    The Fiqh books mention the issue of folding sleeves, however this is makruh due to it being forbidden in Hadith, as one would be preventing the sleeves from making sajdah.

    Some Urdu Fatawa use the texts on folding the sleeves for t-shirts, however those texts don't apply here.

    As for the second, maybe 50 years ago, wearing a short-sleeve shirt or a T-shirt would have been something one would not wear out in public.
    Today, people wear it everywhere, so it isn't classfied as thiyab al-bidhlah ie. clothing one wouldn't wear in public. It is makruh to perform salah in things like pyjama's, as these wouldn't be worn in public. Short-sleeves are not so.

    So one is allowed to perform salah in clothing that is short-sleeved, as long as it is such clothing that one would normally wear in public.


    As for Nabi's qamis sleeves being until the wrists, that doesn't necessitate shorter sleeves being makruh, just as it doesn't negate other items of Nabi having shorter sleeves. In fact, some of the clothing attributed to Nabi in museums do have short sleeves, even though this isn't proof.

    It is for this reason, that the normally very strict author of Ahsan al-Fatawa, Mufti Rashid Ahmed Ludhyanwi, clearly gave permission for salah with a short sleeve kurta.
    Se Ahsan al-Fatawa Vol. 3 Pg. 407-408.

    And Allah Ta'ala knows best
    Sahabah رضي الله عنهم would cling fast to the Sunnah, on account of it being Sunnah, while we discard the Sunnah, on account of it being (just) Sunnah!

    Formerly "soofi_saheb"


  5. #15
    Scholar eTeacher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Gender
    Brother
    Madhhab
    Hanafi
    Location
    Near Niagara Falls
    Posts
    2,842

    Default Re: T-shirts

    Quote Originally Posted by Husain View Post


    There are two issues here:

    1. Leaving the elbows/arms uncovered
    2. Wearing clothing that one would not go out with in public.

    As for the first, I have yet to come across a statement in any of the Hanafi books of fiqh, stating this to be Makruh. I have searched in detail, have asked numerous Muftis, but no one has been able to produce one such ruling from the reliable books of the madhab.

    The Fiqh books mention the issue of folding sleeves, however this is makruh due to it being forbidden in Hadith, as one would be preventing the sleeves from making sajdah.

    Some Urdu Fatawa use the texts on folding the sleeves for t-shirts, however those texts don't apply here.

    As for the second, maybe 50 years ago, wearing a short-sleeve shirt or a T-shirt would have been something one would not wear out in public.
    Today, people wear it everywhere, so it isn't classfied as thiyab al-bidhlah ie. clothing one wouldn't wear in public. It is makruh to perform salah in things like pyjama's, as these wouldn't be worn in public. Short-sleeves are not so.

    So one is allowed to perform salah in clothing that is short-sleeved, as long as it is such clothing that one would normally wear in public.


    As for Nabi's qamis sleeves being until the wrists, that doesn't necessitate shorter sleeves being makruh, just as it doesn't negate other items of Nabi having shorter sleeves. In fact, some of the clothing attributed to Nabi in museums do have short sleeves, even though this isn't proof.

    It is for this reason, that the normally very strict author of Ahsan al-Fatawa, Mufti Rashid Ahmed Ludhyanwi, clearly gave permission for salah with a short sleeve kurta.
    Se Ahsan al-Fatawa Vol. 3 Pg. 407-408.

    And Allah Ta'ala knows best
    Masha Allah,

    Great answer as usual.

    I've lead prayers quite a few times with those short sleeved Arabian thawbs/jubbas. I get some weird looks from TJ's and Sufis and hardcore Hanafis, but since the general typical American Muslim couldn't care less, I go with the oppressed majority.

    Also at the time of the Prophet, they barely had enough clothes to cover their Satar and body!


  6. #16
    Senior Member ENIGMA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Gender
    Brother
    Madhhab
    Hanafi
    Posts
    5,892

    Default Re: T-shirts

    Quote Originally Posted by eTeacher View Post
    Masha Allah,

    Great answer as usual.


    , have to toatlly agree. Indeed, this forum is blessed with the presence of Mufti Hussain.
    Storms brewing.......................


  7. #17
    Senior Member Abu_Bilal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Gender
    Brother
    Madhhab
    Hanafi
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    1,101

    Default Re: T-shirts

    Quote Originally Posted by Husain View Post
    It is for this reason, that the normally very strict author of Ahsan al-Fatawa, Mufti Rashid Ahmed Ludhyanwi, clearly gave permission for salah with a short sleeve kurta.
    The issue of praying with a kurta that is actually "half-sleeve" is fine, and i also said the same thing.

    What i was saying, is that it is makruh to pray in a kurta, which was actually full-sleeve, but the sleeves were folded to make it a half-sleeve one. I have read hadeeth on its prohibition.


  8. #18
    Scholar eTeacher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Gender
    Brother
    Madhhab
    Hanafi
    Location
    Near Niagara Falls
    Posts
    2,842

    Default Re: T-shirts

    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammad Ali Munir View Post
    The issue of praying with a kurta that is actually "half-sleeve" is fine, and i also said the same thing.

    What i was saying, is that it is makruh to pray in a kurta, which was actually full-sleeve, but the sleeves were folded to make it a half-sleeve one. I have read hadeeth on its prohibition.
    Yup, Mufti Husain mentioned about it in his post.


  9. #19
    Senior Member Abu_Bilal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Gender
    Brother
    Madhhab
    Hanafi
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    1,101

    Default Re: T-shirts

    Quote Originally Posted by eTeacher View Post
    Also at the time of the Prophet, they barely had enough clothes to cover their Satar and body!
    No disrespect intended.

    There are narrations in Quduri, where it is mentioned that the people offered their prayers when they were totally naked, because they had nothing to cover themselves.

    So, a mufti can not issue a fatwa, that it is ok to pray when you are naked.

    I have read in all the hanafi manuals, in my madressah and darul-ifta, that praying in short-sleeves is makruh, and the sunnah is to pray in full-sleeves.

    Therefore, the rulings have to be deduced from sunnah "amaals", and not mere incidents. And our success lies in following the sunnah of Rasoolulah (SAWW).


  10. #20
    Senior Member ENIGMA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Gender
    Brother
    Madhhab
    Hanafi
    Posts
    5,892

    Default Re: T-shirts

    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammad Ali Munir View Post
    I have read in all the hanafi manuals, in my madressah and darul-ifta, that praying in short-sleeves is makruh, and the sunnah is to pray in full-sleeves.

    Would you like to name the fatwa books which have this info. Im sure Mufti Hussain could look into it.
    Storms brewing.......................


Similar Threads

  1. How to perform salat ul hajat
    By saima786 in forum General Islam
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-05-2010, 06:01 PM
  2. How to perform salat in Hanafi Madhab?
    By bladeknight in forum General Islam
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-01-2010, 01:23 PM
  3. Images on shirts and its permissibility
    By thetruth in forum Unresolved Questions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-12-2006, 09:46 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •