From this short treatiseon Taraweeh the following facts become quite clear: * After the era of Umar (R.A.) till the end of the 13th century the entire Muslim world performed 20 or more than 20 rakaats. If in this entire time period even a few people were of the opinion of less than 20 rakaats, then too there is no evidence of it being practiced in any Musjid.
* Taraweeh is originally the Sunnat of Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam).
* Taraweeh in Jamaat in the Musjid is also originally the Sunnat of Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam). Hazrath Umar (R.A.) merely re-introduced this method on compliance to the desire of Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam).
* Following the Sunnah of the rightly guided Khalifas is in accordance to the comand of Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam).
* 20 rakaats taraweeh is clearly proven from the era of Umar (R.A.).
* The books of fiqh of the 4 mazhabs written over the centuries clearly regard 20 rakaats taraweeh to be sunnah.
* Those narrations used to prove 8 rakaats either don’t refer to taraweeh or don’t comply with the standards of authnticity.
We now leave it to you, dear reader to decide whether you wish to practice on what the Ummah has been practicing on for the last 14 centuries and to this day is being practiced in musjidul Haram in Makkah and Madina or take the short cut route by practicing on 8 rakaats as proposed by the Ahle Hadith sect which has only reared its head recently.