Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tariq Ramadan Sunni or Shia??

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Post Tariq Ramadan Sunni or Shia??

I realise that I have this strange gift for finding shia material on the net [which I why i now just ask questions here] Im reading this excellent biography of the Prophet Muhammad [pbuh] and mainly like the style of writing from the author Tariq Ramadan. {The book is: The Messenger - the meanings of the life of Muhammad}

Does anyone know if he is a Sunni or Shia? [typical of me to research this halfway through the book!!]

Also has anyone read anything of Seyyed Hossain Nasr? [i think he is a Sufi!?!]

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Re: Tariq Ramadan Sunni or Shia??

wa salaam,

Tariq Ramadan is Sunni.

ws
    AS

Madhhab
    Don't know

I would advise you to abstain reading from him.

Madhhab
    Don't know

I wouldn't necessarily advice you to stay away from him, but warn you that some would say that he's a more 'lateral thinking' kinda guy?

You'll come across many different terms eg freethinkers, modernist, etc etc- just always remember never to harbour hate or arrogance in one's heart because you will be accountable to it - and to pray for the unity of this muslim ummah - there are things that Tariq Ramadan does - which are of use to the community - and nobody can really judge his sincerity in what he does except God......

However, from my observation, I find his direction is to tackle perhaps the more extremist elements I reckon of the salafi thinking ...I'm not sure. And to defend the muslim community at large perhaps more in the European setting...

I've seen him in TV documentaries/news articles/one Radical middle Way talk, but I havn't read his books. There are some books (eg salafism materials) that are far worse to read in my opinion. You just need to know where he stands.
    Last edited by Sister Khadijah; 15-09-2008 at 10:25 PM.
    *every breath is a form of worship*

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by bugmenot View Post

I would advise you to abstain reading from him.
    bro, why? I think this one book in particular speaks a lot of sense in terms of concise and clear - straight to the point. Im interested to know why he has a negative image/reputation too?

Books like this are so good, not just for me who heard extracts of the prophet's [pbuh] life story but its a great starting point for new converts to find a starting ground for knowledge.

I know there are some dodgy authors out there [possibly karen armstrong] but curious about this new author i found today too Seyyed Hossain Nasr...

Madhhab
    Don't know

People don't like wiki but here is a link anyway - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tariq_Ramadan

I personally don't think he is so 'terrible'. Just another voice out there that is more intelligible than most...at least for the french speaking populations out there, where they associate muslims with immigration problems and terrorism and are quick to speak out against islam and muslims....he at least has something worthwhile to say on the matter in a language as fluent as what they speak. He's fluent in english too.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by Sister Khadijah View Post
    People don't like wiki but here is a link anyway - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tariq_Ramadan

I personally don't think he is so 'terrible'. Just another voice out there that is more intelligible than most...at least for the french speaking populations out there, where they associate muslims with immigration problems and terrorism and are quick to speak out against islam and muslims....he at least has something worthwhile to say on the matter in a language as fluent as what they speak. He's fluent in english too.
    exactly sista, That is what i think so to. I like the way he gets to the point quickly and clearly where as whenever I asked people [years prior to me becoming interested in my own faith] they would go right round the houses and back and i would not remeber a thing.

I can see non muslims who are curious about our religion and picking up this book and naturally wanting to research more. I have, so he is a modernist since when has that been wrong. Do i sense the start of a new madhhab now? the modernist..

ps: wiki comes up with some weird old articles too [another gift of mine!!]

Madhhab
    Don't know

sis I agree with ur last point about nonmuslim curiosity, and finding some answers there, about another madhab lol, - I have no idea - but I know that there are much worse ppl in the middle east of the past who have caused greater problems than I think he generally does....however it remains to be seen what the bros on the rest of this forum might have to say about it. *dreads a freaky comeback* Insha'Allah, the above was merely my observation and feelings on the matter - however, its better to be informed of the floating views out there, than to know just the one...and May Allah always guide us to what is just, truth, and correct.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Post Re: Tariq Ramadan Sunni or Shia??

Quote Originally Posted by Sister Khadijah View Post
    sis I agree with ur last point about nonmuslim curiosity, and finding some answers there, about another madhab lol, - I have no idea - but I know that there are much worse ppl in the middle east of the past who have caused greater problems than I think he generally does....however it remains to be seen what the bros on the rest of this forum might have to say about it. *dreads a freaky comeback* Insha'Allah, the above was merely my observation and feelings on the matter - however, its better to be informed of the floating views out there, than to know just the one...and May Allah always guide us to what is just, truth, and correct.
    i just thought after posting that new madhhab comment that my days are numbered here..[plz, dont boot me out!! I like it here!! ]

im a bit of an anarchist and know my opinon is not so worthy - but i'm glad that there are books out there which are simple and easy to understand. Also opening up my mind!! Im thinking of another question but won't bother now as i may get a booting off here!!

Madhhab
    Don't know

lol - aww sis -- what can I say- ...I have many a question I'd like to ask - but don't for the same reason lol.

Insha'Allah you won't be booted out of here...it takes a lot more i think to get the feathers ruffled.