Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghuniyat-ut-Talibeen - Abdul Qadir Jeelani

Madhhab
    Hanbali

Default Ghuniyat-ut-Talibeen - Abdul Qadir Jeelani

I was just introduced to this (urdu) book of as Sheikh (rah), but somebody said it isn't actually a book by him but is one of those that was fabricated later in his name. Does anybody have further information for more reliable sources?
    Ya al-'Alee (swt)
    mohammadmufti.blogspot.com
    Parachinar ko bhoolna nahi.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Re: Ghuniyat-ut-Talibeen - Abdul Qadir Jeelani

According to the jamhoor muhaqqiqeen and scholars, this book is rightly attributed to Shaykh Abdul Qadir Jailani [r.h], while few scholars doubt its attribution to Shaykh.

Scholars who doubt its attribution include:

1. Allamah Abdul Aziz Farharwi [r.h], saheb Nibras.
    2. Shaykh Abdul Haq Muhaddith Dehlvi [r.h].
    3. Allamah ibn Hajr Makki [r.h].

And scholars who are of the view that Ghuniyat al-Talibeen is the book of Shaykh Jailani are:

1. Imam Dhahbi
    2. Hafiz ibn Taymiyah
    3. Mullah Ali Qari
    4. Mullah Katib, sahib Kashf al-Zanoon.
    5. Imam ibn Rajab al-Hanbali
    6. Hafiz ibn Hajr Asqalani
    7. Imam Shah Waliullah Dehlawi.
    8. Allamah Abdul Ghani al-Nabulusi
    9. Allamah Abdul Hakim Sialkoti
    10. Nawab Sadiq Hassan Khan
    11. Sahib Aqida al-Muhammadiya
    12. Allamah Sarfaraz Khan Safdar

and many more.

Those who doubt its attribution argue that there are fabricated ahadith in this book and some masail that are contrary to the jamhoor, like the view that it was Hadhrat Ishaq [a.h] and not Hadhrat Ismail [a.h] who was to be slaughtered by Hadhrat Ibrahim [r.h]. But these are all weak arguments. Shaykh Jailani was not an expert in the field of Asma ul-Rijaal so it's not surprising that there are some fabricted ahadith in this book.
    Last edited by Saad; 24-09-2008 at 06:54 PM.
    Haq Char Yaar

Barelwiyyat

Ahlel Bayt

Free Books

Chand say Tashbih daina, yeh bhi koi Insaf hai
    Us kay Munh pay Chayan, Madani ka Chahra Saf hai

Madhhab
    Hanbali

JazakAllahkhair!
    Ya al-'Alee (swt)

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Assalam alaikum,

Isn't Ghunyah where Sheikh Abdul Qadir Jeelani (rahimahuAllah) calls ahnaf murjiyyah or something similiar along the lines and is this also why its attribution to him is doubted.
    Last edited by Ibn_Harith; 25-09-2008 at 02:47 PM.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Firstly, Shaykh Abdul Qadir Jailani [r.h] referred to some Ashab Nauman bin Sabit [r.h] as Murjiya and not all of the Ahnaf. There were Murjiyah who followed the Hanafi fiqh just like many Mutazilla followed the Hanafi madhab, and Allamah Zamakhshri being one of them.

Secondly, there were two types of Murjiyah. One was the deviant group Murjiyah and the other was known as Murjiyah Ahle Sunnah. Allamah Shahrastani [r.h] has also devided Murjiyah into two groups. He refers to Imam Abu Hanifa and his ashab as Murjiyah Ahle Sunnah in al-Milal wa-Nahl vol I p 189. Other who were reffered to as Murjiyah Ahle Sunnah include Hassan bin Muhammad bin Ali [r.h], Maqatil bin Salman [r.h], Sayed bin Jubair [r.h], Hammad bin abi Salman [r.h], etc.

Jamhoor Muhaqqiqeen knew of unauthentic material in Ghunyat al-Talibeen but they still considered it the book of Shaykh Jailani.
    Last edited by Saad; 25-09-2008 at 07:55 PM.
    Haq Char Yaar

Barelwiyyat

Ahlel Bayt

Free Books

Chand say Tashbih daina, yeh bhi koi Insaf hai
    Us kay Munh pay Chayan, Madani ka Chahra Saf hai

Madhhab
    None

Assalamualaykum.

I want to know , that those who accepted Ghuniya to be a work of Shaykh Abdul Qadir Jailani [r.h], did they say that a few parts /sections of this book has been tempered?

Madhhab
    None

Quote Originally Posted by khanbaba View Post

Firstly, Shaykh Abdul Qadir Jailani [r.h] referred to some Ashab Nauman bin Sabit [r.h] as Murjiya and not all of the Ahnaf. There were Murjiyah who followed the Hanafi fiqh just like many Mutazilla followed the Hanafi madhab, and Allamah Zamakhshri being one of them.

Secondly, there were two types of Murjiyah. One was the deviant group Murjiyah and the other was known as Murjiyah Ahle Sunnah. Allamah Shahrastani [r.h] has also devided Murjiyah into two groups. He refers to Imam Abu Hanifa and his ashab as Murjiyah Ahle Sunnah in al-Milal wa-Nahl vol I p 189. Other who were reffered to as Murjiyah Ahle Sunnah include Hassan bin Muhammad bin Ali [r.h], Maqatil bin Salman [r.h], Sayed bin Jubair [r.h], Hammad bin abi Salman [r.h], etc.

Jamhoor Muhaqqiqeen knew of unauthentic material in Ghunyat al-Talibeen but they still considered it the book of Shaykh Jailani.

Assalamualaykom.

Is it possible to know what were the difference between the two types of Murjia with respect to Aqida?
    Last edited by Saad; 25-09-2008 at 07:56 PM.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by khanbaba View Post

Firstly, Shaykh Abdul Qadir Jailani [r.h] referred to Ashab Nauman bin Sabit [r.h] as Murjiya and not all of the Ahnaf. There were Murjiyah who followed the Hanafi fiqh just like many Mutazilla followed the Hanafi madhab, and Allamah Zamakhshri being one of them.

I take your second point but "ashab" does seem to imply all or the general ahnaf and if he did want to single out the deviants then surely he would have said "ba'dh ashab" as ahnaf, as far I know, were never dominated by the murjiyyah.
    Regarding the second point, it'd be interesting to know in what context it was written as it may clarify whether he meant murjiyyah ahl as-sunnah.
    Also, I've heard from a teacher of mine that this part may have been tampered with.
    Last edited by Ibn_Harith; 25-09-2008 at 10:48 PM.

Madhhab
    Hanbali

Asalaamu 'Alaikum

This is all confusing me :/ So it is authentic from him (according to jamhoor) but there was later tahrif in it (as said by Ibn Harith)??? I want to know before I purchase my own copy :/
    Ya al-'Alee (swt)

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by Ibn_Harith View Post
    I take your second point but "ashab" does seem to imply all or the general ahnaf and if he did want to single out the deviants then surely he would have said "ba'dh ashab" as ahnaf, as far I know, were never dominated by the murjiyyah.
    Regarding the second point, it'd be interesting to know in what context it was written as it may clarify whether he meant murjiyyah ahl as-sunnah.
    Also, I've heard from a teacher of mine that this part may have been tampered with.
    Maulana Sarfaraz Khan Safdar in his famous book "Maqam-e-Abu Haneefa" has written the answer to this question in detail. Give it a read.