Thread: combining 6 days of shawal with makeup days??

Madhhab
    Maliki

Default combining 6 days of shawal with makeup days??

salamo aleykom

is it permissible for a woman to combine both her makeup days with the six days of shawaal?
    I heard a friend of mine who was told that it was valid to do that according to hanafi.
    can anyone clearify this?

wa aleykom salam

Madhhab
    Maliki

Default Re: combining 6 days of shawal with makeup days??

AAWW,

From my understanding, if the combination of the six days and missed days during the month of Ramadan fast at a strech, it is allowed. For example, adding the six days of shawwal fasting to say 5 days of miss days to get 11 days and fast all at the same period, it is okay.

Madhhab
    Maliki

Quote Originally Posted by olayinka View Post
    AAWW,

From my understanding, if the combination of the six days and missed days during the month of Ramadan fast at a strech, it is allowed. For example, adding the six days of shawwal fasting to say 5 days of miss days to get 11 days and fast all at the same period, it is okay.
    salam,
    perhapse you misunderstood me.
    I meant combining both de makeup days and 6 days of shawaal with one intention.
    so you fast only 6 days with both the intention of makeup days and six days of shawaal.

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

good question. as for the shafie fiqh too i would appreciate if scholars can explain. and for us women it is required to make up the missed fasts first before we can carry out the nafl fast?

What has he lost who has found You (O Allah),
    and what has he found who has lost You (O Allah).

:Ibn AtaIllah:

Banned
    Madhhab
    Hanafi

Arrow Re: combining 6 days of shawal with makeup days??

Quote Originally Posted by saifelislam View Post
    salamo aleykom

is it permissible for a woman to combine both her makeup days with the six days of shawaal?
    I heard a friend of mine who was told that it was valid to do that according to hanafi.
    can anyone clearify this?

wa aleykom salam
    If one combines the intention of a fardh fast with a nafl fast, the intention for the fardh fast takes precedence over the intention of the nafl fast and the intention of the nafl fast is thereby rendered void. Thus, if one keeps six fasts in the month of Shawwaal with the intention to combine sixmissed fasts of Ramadhaan with the six fasts of Shawwaal, the intention of the six missed fasts of Ramadhaan will take precedence over the six fasts of Shawwaal leaving the latter intention void. However, the question remains that if one observes the six missed fasts of Ramadhaan within the month of Shawwaal, will that, as in the case of Tahiyyah al-Masjid, also suffice incidentally for the sixnafl fasts of the month of Shawwaal?

In Ahsanul Fataawaa [4:440] Mufti Rashid Ahmad Ludhianavi rahimahullaah has suggested not because:

a. The words of the following hadith of Muslim indicate that the six fasts of Shawwaal are in addition to those of Ramadhaan:

It is reported from Abu Ayub al-Ansari (ra) that the Messenger (saw) said: He who fasts themonth of Ramadhaan then follows that with six fasts of Shawwaal, it would be as if he fasted perpetually.

b. The reason it is likened to perpetual fast is that each virtue is multiplied at least ten-fold. Thus the month of Ramadhaan gains the reward of ten months leaving a balance of two months. This is completed by the six fasts of Shawwaal, which, if multiplied by ten, equates to two months. This is further indication that additional nafl fasts are desired.

Institute of Islamic Jurisprudence, 1, Ambler Street, Bradford, West Yorkshire, England, BD8 8AW, Tel: (01274) 22 22 21, e-mail: askmuftisahib@itc-bradford.org

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

Salamu aleykum
    Here is the shaf'i opnion
    http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39082

good question. as for the shafie fiqh too i would appreciate if scholars can explain. and for us women it is required to make up the missed fasts first before we can carry out the nafl fast?
    Its not required but its better to.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Salam,

Taken from www.daruliftaa.com

Combining Make-up (Qadha) Fasts with the Six Days Fasts of Shawwal

Question # q-15354930
    Date Posted: 16/10/2008

Is it permissible to make an intention of Qadha for fasts that were missed in Ramadhan and also for the 6 Sunna fasts of Shawwal?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the name of Allah, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful,

Sayyiduna Abu Ayyub al-Ansari (may Allah be pleased with him) relates that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: “Whoever fasts Ramadhan, then follows it with six days from Shawwal, it is like they fasted the entire year.” (Sahih Muslim no: 1164)

Based on this and other Hadiths, the majority of the jurists (fuqaha), including the Hanafi, Shafi’i and Hanbali Schools, hold that it is recommended to fast six days of the month of Shawwal. (See: Radd al-Muhtar, Mughni al-Muhtaj and Kashshaf al-Qina’)

As for combining two intentions, i.e. making-up missed Ramadhan fasts (qadha) and the six fasts of Shawwal, one should principally make an intention of Qadha. Thereafter, as a ‘secondary’ intention, one may also keep in mind that it is the month of Shawwal. By doing so, it is hoped from the mercy of Allah that along with the missed fasts being made-up, one will receive the reward of fasting in Shawwal. But, it is important that the main and predominant intention is of making-up the missed fasts.

However, it is better that one makes up for the missed fasts separately from fasting the six days of Shawwal, since some scholars are of the view that one does not receive the reward of optional (nafl) fasting when combined with make-up (qadha) fasts. (See: Fatawa Darul Uloom Deoband 6/495)

One of the explanations given for fasting the six days of Shawwal being equivalent to fasting the entire year is that a good deed is multiplied by ten, and as such, fasting the whole of Ramadhan would count as fasting ten months, and fasting the six days of Shawwal, multiplied by ten, would equal to two months. Hence, it would be as though one has fasted the entire year. (See: Ibn Rajab al-Hanbali’s Lata’if al-Ma’arif 272)

In fact, this has been clearly mentioned in a Hadith related by Thawban (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: “Fasting Ramadhan is like fasting ten months, and fasting the six days is like fasting two months, so that amounts to fasting the entire year.” (Recorded by Imam Ahmad in his Musnad, Ibn Hibban in his Sahih and Imam Nasa’i in his Sunan, taken from Ibn Rajab’s Lata’if 272)

So, in order to receive this specific reward of fasting the entire year, one would have to fast the whole month of Ramadhan (regardless of whether it consists of 29 or 30 days), and then follow it up with fasting the six days of Shawwal. For this reason, we see in the Hadith recorded by Muslim (quoted in the beginning of this answer) that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: “Whoever fasts Ramadhan, then follows it with...” i.e. one would need to first complete the fasts of Ramadhan before fasting the six days of Shawwal to attain this particular reward.

As such, in conclusion, it is without doubt better to make-up for the missed Ramadhan fasts first and then observe the six fasts of Shawwal in order to obtain maximum rewards and the specific reward of fasting the entire year. However, it is permitted to combine make-up fasts with the six fasts of Shawwal provided the principle intention (niyya) is of Qadha fasts.

And Allah knows best

Muhammad ibn Adam
    Darul Iftaa
    Leicester , UK

http://www.daruliftaa.com/question.a...nID=q-15354930

Madhhab
    Hanafi

اللهم صلي على محمد و على آل محمد كما صليت على إبراهيم و على أل إبراهيم ا نك حميد مجيد

Desire knowledge...

Madhhab
    Hanafi

The very same issue is being discussed on the [MalikiFiqhGroup] mailing list. I will post here again, when a conclusion has been made, insha'Allah.