Thread: combining the makeup days with 6days of shawal??

Madhhab
    Maliki

Default combining the makeup days with 6days of shawal??

salamo aleykom

is it permissible for a woman to combine both her makeup days with the six days of shawaal?
    I heard a friend of mine who was told that it was valid to do that according to hanafi.
    can anyone clearify this?

wa aleykom salam

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

Default Re: combining the makeup days with 6days of shawal??

Quote Originally Posted by saifelislam View Post
    salamo aleykom

is it permissible for a woman to combine both her makeup days with the six days of shawaal?
    I heard a friend of mine who was told that it was valid to do that according to hanafi.
    can anyone clearify this?

wa aleykom salam

You would be better to ask a Maliki, but because the maliki madh-hab and Shafi'i madhhab have similarities regarding intention as a necessity of some particular acts of 'ibadah, here's the Shafi'i position. It is afdhal (optimal, most virtuous) to perform them separately as there is more reward in the extra mujahada. However my teacher said ibn Hajar said it is permissible for a person to make the intention of qadha and the sunnah of fasting the days of shawwal in the same fast (i.e. 2 intentions, 1 fast).

The afdhal is obvious because although one would receive the same reward of fasting a whole ramadhan, whether it is 29 or 30 days. The month of 30 days obviously accounts for an extra day of fasting in our account.

I guess the dalil for the permissibility for multiple intentions for the same action would be the usual "Inna mal a'malu bil niyyat" being that "niyyaat" is the plural form.

Madhhab
    Maliki

Quote Originally Posted by andy8118 View Post

You would be better to ask a Maliki, but because the maliki madh-hab and Shafi'i madhhab have similarities regarding intention as a necessity of some particular acts of 'ibadah, here's the Shafi'i position. It is afdhal (optimal, most virtuous) to perform them separately as there is more reward in the extra mujahada. However my teacher said ibn Hajar said it is permissible for a person to make the intention of qadha and the sunnah of fasting the days of shawwal in the same fast (i.e. 2 intentions, 1 fast).

The afdhal is obvious because although one would receive the same reward of fasting a whole ramadhan, whether it is 29 or 30 days. The month of 30 days obviously accounts for an extra day of fasting in our account.

I guess the dalil for the permissibility for multiple intentions for the same action would be the usual "Inna mal a'malu bil niyyat" being that "niyyaat" is the plural form.

thank you for the reply,
    are there any malikis who can clearfiy this issue?

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

Salamu aleykum
    I just want to add something to brother Andys response.
    The fast will be valid, but you will not get the promised reward (i.e. of fasting the whole year) since you didnt fast six days after you fasted Ramadan.
    This is according to the shafi'i-school. I dont have a clue about the malikis.

Madhhab
    Maliki

Quote Originally Posted by andy8118 View Post

salam,
    could you please state where you he made this statement, in wich book?
    wa aleykom salam

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

Salamu aleykum
    His opinion is mentioned in Bughyat al-murstashidin, and he mentions something similar to it in his al-Fatawa al-Kubra (but there he mentions combining the intention for fard and arafa).

Also the evidence for this according to the shafi'is is that we are supposed to fast, any fast, so we are allowed to combine intentions, in the same way that when we enter a masjid we are supposed to pray any prayer before we sit down, and therefore we are allowed to combine the intention for tahiyya and fard when we enter a masjid.